Overwhelming Satisfaction

Right before sunset yesterday I had this overwhelming feeling come over me.

The feeling that I had to go outside and take pictures.

But if you saw this sky from your window, you’d want to take them too, right?

So I told Skylar, “Get your shoes on. We’re going!”

And she said, “Where?”

I said, “Surprise!”

And when we get there, you can do some of this, honey

While Mommy captures this (with my iPhone)

And yes, it is possible to take marginally decent pictures with iPhones but I strongly urge editing them Strongly urge.

And I captured a whole lot more on my 5D

I’m still editing the images but the ones above and below this sentence are  from my real camera

Walking around the park was wonderful

Skylar ran around like a nut and went, Weeeee!!!! a jillion times

Kids get so wound up around dusk.  Seriously.

And I went Weeeee!!!! with my camera in my hand.

I felt calm.

Satisfied.

Content.

Ahhhh.

We came home and did the dinner, bath, bed routine and then I was browsing through my photos getting ready to edit and remembered this dessert

Mixed Berry Clafoutis

Sounds complicated and fussy and has a fancy name

But it’s as easy as making pancake batter, pouring it over fruit (fresh or frozen) and then baking it

Sweet, rich, dense, custard-ey, and use any fruit you have on hand that’s in season or needs to get used up pronto.

But if you’re feeling more no-bakeish lately there’s always these

No-Bake Vegan Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Balls (GF, Vegan, and with a High Protein Option)

And you don’t even have to get out your Vita or food processor.  Just a bowl + spoon.

From my last post, Printing Poorhouse, glad I’m not the only one who feels ripped off by Kinko’s!  And glad to hear most of you don’t bother printing out that much anymore.  Good job.

1. What was the last overwhelming feeling, the last I Must Do This feeling, that you had?

Other than taking pictures, the urge to do yoga and run are strong and powerful for me.

They ground me, center me, fuel me, give me what I need in order to be a better parent and a better person all around.

2. After you did what you wanted to do, did you feel satisfied?  Did you get that aahhhh feeling and sense of calm contentment?

Most definitely, yes, I did.

Being outside with my child, my camera, nature, wide open spaces; watching her giggle and laugh and play while I took pictures, was wonderful.

It really is the simple things.  Free, easy, basic.  And, The Best.

I’ve touched on this before in a post I wrote called Bonding Time, where just celebrating the simple things together with Skylar really makes me swoon with delight.  That’s what nourishes me.

That’s what I want.  My child, my camera, being outside.  Basic stuff.  That is what life is about.

What has left you overwhelmingly satisfied lately?

44 Responses to “Overwhelming Satisfaction”

Sweet and Savvy — August 23, 2011 at 12:21 pm

These are amazing pictures! I would have to go take pictures if I saw a sky like that!

Maria@La_Piattini — August 23, 2011 at 12:32 pm

Last week I was getting over remnants of a cold and I just had this feeling that I should go take a yoga class, even though I wasn’t feeling 100% better. I’m so glad I did because I felt refreshed, stretched, and just wondeful after!

Ali @ Urbanfruitbat — August 23, 2011 at 12:55 pm

Those shots of Skylar are SO cute! She is so adorable. I totally feel that way about practicing asana, as baking! And I do always feel satisfied. You are such a wonderful photographer, it is really neat to see how your blog has transformed over the years! I love your photos, thank you so much for sharing them with us!

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — August 23rd, 2011 at 3:28 pm

you are so kind, thanks Ali. The transformation has been surreal and fun for me to actually live :)

Emily — August 23, 2011 at 1:09 pm

I had an INTENSE urge to run today! For a long time! It was perfect weather for it and it felt amazing.

emily (a nutritionist eats) — August 23, 2011 at 1:12 pm

Your reminder to enjoy the simple, FREE(trying to save for wedding and move next month!), real memories came at a really good time. I’ve been “wanting things” lately and I need to remember that those aren’t the things I’m going to remember, look back on or truly enjoy! Thanks. I might need to return those clothes I bought online last night… :)

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — August 23rd, 2011 at 3:31 pm

oh that’s a big move actually returning things but do it girl if you need to!

and i hope your komboucha is going well! :)

Kathryn — August 23, 2011 at 1:12 pm

Gorgeous pics, as ever. That first picture of the clafoutis is just stunning! Looks like you had a great afternoon.

Sweety — August 23, 2011 at 1:18 pm

I had the most intense urge to make salsa with the tomatoes I bought at the market. Along with cilantro, lime, onions, jalepeno, cumin, coriander and dried guajillo chilis, it added greatly to my black bean taco lunch :)

Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance — August 23, 2011 at 1:35 pm

If I looked out my window and saw such a beautiful sky, I’m pretty sure I would feel inclined to run outside and take some pictures as well. Beautiful photos, per usual ;)

Kristen, Sweetly — August 23, 2011 at 1:46 pm

a lot of my crazy “i have to right now” urges involve writing, meditating, grabbing a certain person for an immediate hug, or grabbing my camera…

and now that i think about it, all of those things mellow me out. just like yoga and spending time outside with the sunshine. :-)

Holly @ The Runny Egg — August 23, 2011 at 2:02 pm

I honestly feel completely overwhelmed with feelings (good or bad depending on the day) when I run — I absolutely love it. Usually I end up crying for one reason or another. Maybe I look like a lunatic but I just feel so emotional — whether I’m thinking about someone I know having a tough time or I think about all that I have and all that I need to be thankful for. It is honestly a very strange experience sometimes, but I always feel so good afterward.

I love the first shot — that big tree — how beautiful!

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — August 23rd, 2011 at 3:33 pm

it’s totally normal! when i used to teach yoga people were always having emotional surges just spilling over…it happens. roll with it :)

I also think it’s part of our HSP nature, the way we’re wired.. Happens to me too!

• AGS replied: — August 24th, 2011 at 12:55 pm

Wow. No one ever said they felt that way before. I do lots of thinking/processing on runs and sometimes I find myself tearing up. I always thought this was sort of idiotic. Now I realize I’m not the only one.

Maryea {Happy Healthy Mama} — August 23, 2011 at 2:05 pm

“That’s what I want. My child, my camera, being outside. Basic stuff. That is what life is about.”

Yes! I agree. I had so much to do today, but Meghan wanted to head outside, so I dropped everything and just enjoyed being outside with her. While I snapped a few photos, of course. :-)

I love all your pictures in this post, especially the first two. Stunning!

cathy — August 23, 2011 at 2:07 pm

oh, what a lovely pre-evening-routine outing for the two of you! those trees look pretty awesome!
    i often get the urge to GET OUTSIDE. and i always feel great once i get the fresh air. i also love that feeling when you just really want to run, and then end up having a great outing.
    doing a good job at work makes me feel very satisfied and happy.
    bet skylar hopes you can get back to the park this eve, too!

Brooke — August 23, 2011 at 2:41 pm

My most recent overwhelming feeling was to RUN…

I live in VA and we just had an earthquake!

I blogged about it over on our blog…

Brooke

Madeline - Greens and Jeans — August 23, 2011 at 3:06 pm

Skylar is getting so BIG! I really can’t believe it has been over a year since I’ve seen you guys!

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — August 23rd, 2011 at 3:34 pm

i know…a year…just even that feels like a lifetime ago and our coffee dates in Desert Ridge at that coffee shop feel like…10 lifetimes ago!

i miss you!!
      xoxo

Christine (The Raw Project) — August 23, 2011 at 3:43 pm

Nice pictures, what a fun trip to the park. It was nice weather here too, perfect for my run. And great dessert recipe inspiration – yum!

1. Lately it’s been relaxing and taking more down time for myself with so much going on at work and with family health crisis’s, but that hasn’t happened yet. :-(
    2. I still feel that I haven’t had enough down time between working, meeting family needs and doing what I want, exercising, blogging, and playing in the kitchen – not enough hours in the day!

Kate @ Run With Kate — August 23, 2011 at 3:52 pm

Seriously, you have the most delicious food on your blog! More delicious than any other blog I read!! I am drooling right now… I know I say that a lot, but I mean it! I’m popping grapes into my mouth and suddenly they’re tasteless after looking at that deliciousness. Ahh, San Diego is so beautiful! We’re so lucky we live here!

katie @ KatieDid — August 23, 2011 at 4:18 pm

That final picture is splendid :) Makes me happy to look at! This whole summer I have felt that deep satisfaction and contentment with life, and it hits me often and at random times. When I’m just biking home from work, or when I’m peacefully cooking dinner in my own kitchen, or laughing with my best friends while driving around belting out old tunes. I just feel completely satisfied with life. I’m glad you feel this often too :) !!!

mi-an — August 23, 2011 at 4:56 pm

the last overwhelming feeling i last remember was last week, when i just HAD to go for a walk in the park. we hardly do that these days bc of studying and we usually work out at the gym and/or yoga studio. lack of the outdoors over here! after a walk around lake elizabeth park, i had that ahhhh feeling. it was so great. :))

Maris (In Good Taste) — August 23, 2011 at 5:09 pm

Your excitement is so contagious! I feel great just looking at your photos and reading the captions!

Lauren — August 23, 2011 at 5:58 pm

Sometimes simple is the best! Especially time with family…who needs to go somewhere fancy if you’re all stressed out over it? The park is a wonderful option and gives you the option of beautiful pictures! (Like yours) :D

Katie — August 23, 2011 at 6:01 pm

Skylar melts me.

Victoria @ The Pursuit of Hippieness — August 23, 2011 at 6:09 pm

When I spent a week at the shore a few weeks ago, I just woke up at dawn every morning with an urge to go outside. It meant that I got to stroll on the beach and watch the sun rise. It was so unbelievable peaceful!

Get Skinny, Go Vegan. — August 23, 2011 at 7:32 pm

Oh the hardships of living in a city where the weather is nearly perfect 365!

marla — August 23, 2011 at 7:36 pm

Hey I know that sweatshirt!! I know it is so fun to whip out the cameras like ALL the time! Fun photos. I am overwhelmingly satisfied where I am right now & never want to go home. Ever. *gasp*

Katie — August 23, 2011 at 7:37 pm

I felt that way being with my grandparents this weekend. I’m having sort of a surreal few weeks and it was really nice to just be there and not have to deal with any of it.

Always love the Skylar pics. I can’t believe you get to live there!

Rachel @ the Avid Appetite — August 24, 2011 at 7:34 am

The last…oh, EIGHT weekends….have just been sheer craziness for my husband and me. I have an overwhelming urge to be sitting on our couch together, enjoying a bottle of wine and just catching up on life. Perhaps one of these days it will happen! :)

Colleen — August 24, 2011 at 7:58 am

The urge of making brownies with peanut butter… then commence eating one warm with vanilla ice cream. greatest thing ever. Skylar’s growing up so much, she’s so gorgeous!

Amber K — August 24, 2011 at 10:08 am

The last time I felt a “must do” was when a couple of weeks ago I had it stuck in my head that I wanted to be in my early 20s again. I wanted to go out on the town and be crazy. It didn’t turn out well. Nothing bad happened, I just realized that I am NOT in my early 20s and the things I found fun back then just aren’t as fun now. And it is mostly because I used to go out to a club or a party with a big group of people. It’s a much different atmosphere when it is just me and my husband and we feel like the oldest people ever, even though we’re not even old!

Kaitlyn@TheTieDyeFiles — August 24, 2011 at 11:52 am

What gorgeous photos! I wish I had the urge to go out and play at dusk, but lately I’ve just had the urge to lounge around in my PJs! I don’t think I consume enough caffeine for the amount of sleep I get! I also have this incredible urge to spend a weekend by myself in my apartment doing whatever I see fit. I love my boyfriend, but traveling every weekend can get tiring. I have my eyes on a weekend in a few weeks when he’ll be in NYC and I’ll be home alone :)

180360 — August 24, 2011 at 9:15 pm

That clafoutis looks delicious!