Peanut Butter Heals

Last Sunday, blogger Jennifer Perillo from In Jennie’s Kitchen lost her husband, Mikey, to a sudden heart attack.   Although I don’t know Jennie personally, I have been reading tribute posts all over the blogosphere to her late husband.

And the posts involve peanut butter pies.

Jennie posted this on her blog, ” For those asking what they can do to help my healing process, make a peanut butter pie this Friday and share it with someone you love. Then hug them like there’s no tomorrow because today is the only guarantee we can count on.”

I’m sorry that I did not get around to making a peanut butter pie on Friday but I offer anything from my Peanut Butter Recipes collection in honor of Mikey.

All include chocolate and peanut butter.

I hope Mikey would approve.

3 Minute Chocolate Peanut Butter Fudge

No Bake Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Balls with High Protein Option

Raw Vegan Peanut Butter Cups

No Bake Nutter Butter Special K Bars

No Bake Nutella & Peanut Butter Graham Bars with Chocolate Frosting

Please see my Peanut Butter Recipes Post for other ideas.

And as Jennie asked us to do, I am going to hug my loved ones like there’s no tomorrow.

That is, if she’ll stop dancing and movin’ and groovin’ and hold still for half a second and let me sneak a hug in.

And the next bite of peanut butter I have, I will offer it up for Mikey.

My deepest sympathies are with Jennie and her family.  They are in my thoughts and prayers.  Godspeed.

Have you ever known someone who was grieving who had a less than a “typical” request, i.e. skip the flowers and make a peanut butter pie?

Or have you known of anyone who before they died had certain unique requests?

Scott’s dad had an amazing sense of humor.  He was funny, witty, and did not want people to be somber or melancholy at his funeral.

And his funeral was anything but a somber affair.  People were laughing and telling stories and sharing fond memories of him.

Scott and his siblings were reminiscing about their childhood, things their dad did and said, and recounting special times and stories.

It was one of the happiest funerals (and three days of sitting shivah) that I’ve ever experienced.

Yes, tears were shed, the loss of their father was felt, mourned, and internalized.

But there was also joy and celebration of his wonderful life, not just the mourning of his death.

I hope my funeral, morbid as it sounds, is the same.  Crack open the champagne, break out the chocolate, let the F-bombs and laughter fly.

I hope you all have a wonderful weekend with your loved ones.

Hug them, cherish them, and give thanks every day for this beautiful life you have.  Live every day like there’s no tomorrow.  Life is short and precious.

P.S. Thanks for the entries on the $150 Anderson Seafoods Giveaway

29 Responses to “Peanut Butter Heals”

lindsay — August 13, 2011 at 3:54 am

oh wow, so sorry to hear about Jennies husband. Thank you for sharing this. Sharing his memories with food and hugs is a great way to mourn and to celebrate at the same time. We mourn the loss of a beautiful life but then celebrate it in his honor. POWERFUL!

VeggieGirl — August 13, 2011 at 3:57 am

Wonderful tribute. Our loved ones are just too precious to take for granted.

Maris (In Good Taste) — August 13, 2011 at 4:01 am

Lovely post. You have quite a fabulous collection of PB recipes and a happy little girl!

Chocolate-Covered Katie — August 13, 2011 at 4:07 am

What a beautiful post, Averie. And Skylar’s smile gets me every time!

Also, congrats again for being on that list (and thanks for mentioning me). Haha I just checked and you’re still there! I always get so excited to see you on there!

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — August 13th, 2011 at 4:30 am

Thanks for the sweet words my friend.

And for letting me know about the Favorite/Most Gawked FG info from my last post. Glad you saw the link. When someone just links to my name, not to a specific post, I don’t get a ping from WP. So I didn’t know if you’d see it or not (because in a perfect world we all read each other’s every post but the world isn’t quite perfect some days :))

And i get excited when I see YOUR goodies on there!

Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance — August 13, 2011 at 4:31 am

Beautiful post, Averie. It’s very true– we tend to take the people in our lives for granted and forget to stop reminding them how much they mean to us.

The peanut butter pie is such a heartfelt gesture and was very kind of you to post about. My thoughts & prayers go out to Jennie and her family <3

Krystina (Organically Me) — August 13, 2011 at 4:53 am

That’s so awful. My thoughts and love go out to Jennie and her family. :( Though I missed the Friday peanut butter pie, I’ll try to make one soon and I’m going to scootch in bed to give my boyfriend a big hug.

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg — August 13, 2011 at 5:16 am

Wow…so shocking and sad. It’s so scary to think about how someone you love can be taken from you just like *that*. Definitely reminds you to love the ones you have right now with all your heart.

sweet and savvy — August 13, 2011 at 5:29 am

That is awesome for you to support Jennie through this wonderful recipe round up! My prayers Are with Mikey’s loved ones!<3

Maryea {Happy Healthy Mama} — August 13, 2011 at 5:32 am

I didn’t know Jennie either, but every time I read a blog post mentioning what happened I get teary. I don’t want to imagine what she’s going through. Thanks for the reminder to hug your loved ones a little tighter. Life is short and you never know what tomorrow is going to bring.

Heather (Where's the Beach) — August 13, 2011 at 6:06 am

“Crack open the champagne, break out the chocolate, let the F-bombs and laughter fly.” Love it!

cathy — August 13, 2011 at 6:25 am

i’m so sorry to hear about jennie’s loss. thanks for sharing, averie. and thanks, too, for sharing about scott’s dad. losing loved ones is really sad, but it’s wonderful when we can include a “celebration of life” component to honour the deceased person.
    i know of two instances where the person who passed away requested that everyone who wanted to, could “raise a glass” in remembrance at x time on x date. it’s interesting how we’re moving away from solely *traditional* funerals, nowadays.
    thanks for the reminder to cherish our loved ones – we can never be reminded of that too much!

Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit — August 13, 2011 at 6:30 am

As a result of Jennie’s post yesterday, I cancelled all of my plans and Kevin and I are spending the WHOLE day together – mini golf, the food festival, a movie and then some dinner. It was so moving. I’d never been to her blog, but just going on Tastespotting this morning and seeing all of the peanut butter pies, my gosh. Such a sad story, with so much inspiration.

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — August 13th, 2011 at 12:35 pm

That is wonderful that you were that moved and that you and Kevin are going to spend the day together, good for you!!!

katie @ KatieDid — August 13, 2011 at 6:59 am

This was really beautiful and thoughtful Averie. Her family has been in my thoughts as well. Although my Grandmother’s funeral was very sad, there were so many stories told about all of her food and love. My Dad did the eulogy and asked all the grandkids to write up a paragraph for him to add into his speech. Without knowing each other’s, nearly all of them were about a specific food memory and how we attached it to the unwavering love of our grandmother. I hope mine will one day be similar.

Brooke — August 13, 2011 at 9:29 am

Heartbreaking. We just never know. I NEVER thought I’d be saying goodbye to my 8 year old goddaughter…you just never know.

Brooke

Lorin — August 13, 2011 at 10:42 am

I want my funeral to be happy too. I would request people to eat a pizookie for me. In all seriousness though, it is sad for Jennie and seemed very sudden. It’s definitely a wakeup call to other people to enjoy the people they have in their lives.

Victoria @ The Pursuit of Hippieness — August 13, 2011 at 11:11 am

I was so shocked and sad for Jennie when I learned the news a couple of days ago. At the same time, it’s overwhelming and absolutely incredible to see the reaction of the blog community. It just goes to show that the support and enthusiasm of everyone proves that even though we’re just connected by the internet, it’s really a special kind of family. And as for the family I see everyday, I gave them extra hugs today. Life is short and unexpected, and it’s simple things like baking with love that bring us all together.

Amber K — August 13, 2011 at 11:28 am

I have been to quite a few funerals, but they were all the “typical” sad affairs. I would hope that my family wouldn’t make everything so depressing. I feel like I might have been to one “wake” but it ended up being sad anyway!

Baking Serendipity — August 13, 2011 at 12:34 pm

I love your peanut butter recipe collection, your attitude and your tribute. Glad to hear you will spend the weekend with your loved ones close :)

Michaela — August 13, 2011 at 3:29 pm

This is such a beautiful thing to do.
    The funeral of one of my great-grandmothers was “wonderful”, too. We really cherished her life and I hope that at my funeral it also will be a celebration of life.

Baking N Books — August 13, 2011 at 3:56 pm

What a thoughtful post Averie. Lovely.

And, yes, I will have no trouble making any of your peanut butter creations…I’m thinking the Reese’s look-a-likes :)

Moni'sMeals — August 13, 2011 at 4:20 pm

you found my absolute weakness…. PB and C!!! where to start!?

How cute is that Skylar! SHe is getting prettier and prettier.

(Sorry to hear about Jennifer’s loss too.)

Christine (The Raw Project) — August 13, 2011 at 5:30 pm

So sad and shocked for Jennie, what a tragedy. What a sweet response from the blog community. And such a sweet post, thank you for sharing and pointing me to her blog. Wonderful post, Averie!

Get Skinny, Go Vegan. — August 14, 2011 at 6:54 pm

Terrible news.

And now your post is making me go to the kitchen and eat peanut butter, out of the jar.