Power Snacks

I recently received these Navitas Naturals Power Snacks

Cacao Goji Superfood and Citrus Chia Superfood Power Snacks

From their site:

“Power Snacks offer the best of both worlds: healthy benefits in a delicious, totally snackable, bite-sized form. These toothsome treats are sweet and flavorful, with a soft texture and a light crunch. Enjoy them in two organic flavors: Chocolate Goji (made with our premium cacao powder), and Citrus Chia.”

These are tasty and they have already come in handy for on-the-go snacks.

Very portable and not overly sweet by any means.

Then again, nothing really is for me.

Two thumbs up on these!

If you’d like to make your own snacks that are similar to the Navitas Snacks, I’d recommend trying my:

Raw Vegan Dark Chocolate Fudge Balls

or my Raw Vegan Sugar Cookie Dough Balls

You can reduce or omit come of the sugar and add chia seeds if you’re so inclined

Or try No-Bake Oatmeal Raisin Carrot Cake Bites for a healthy and portable dessert-ish, snack-ish option

I have a whole pictorial compilation post of Dessert & Snack Bites ‘n Balls

It’s so easy to make your own snack bites and balls:

nuts/seeds/grains (cashews, almonds, chia seeds, sunflower seeds, oatmeal, etc.)

+ dried fruit and the stickier the better (dates, raisins, apricots, etc.)

+ liquid sweetener if needed if the mixture is too dry or not sweet enough (agave, maple, yacon syrup)

+ blend it all together in a food proc or Vita and roll into bites, balls, or bars

I have tons of tips, tweaks, and suggestions at the bottom of this post for making your own bites/balls

Which reminds me, it’s been far too long since I’ve come up with a new dessert/snack ball

The last one was No Bake Coconut & Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Bites

and that was almost 3 months ago.  <– I’ll work on that

With homemade snacks, I made them ahead of time and throw them in the freezer and take them out as desired.

I pretty much freeze everything.

Lots of people worry about the texture changes or the thawing time but honestly, I don’t find either to be a big deal.

With all my homemade snacks, there are nuts and grains and dried fruit in them so they never freeze rock solid like an ice cube and when they come up to room temp, which takes about about 15 minutes, the texture is just fine.

No complaints from anyone in this house.

Case in point these Microwave Chocolate Peanut Butter and Oat Snack Bars (Vegan, GF)

If I have extras, I’ll throw them into the freezer in plastic wrap and break them out when the time is right or I need a car snack or a purse snack, pronto

From my last post, the Deep Dish Double Chocolate Golden Grahams Smores Bars

Happy to report it was pretty enough to get ‘Gawked and get ‘Tasted

Guess re-shooting the food was worth it.   <– First time that I ever did that.  Hope to never do it again!

Thanks for the compliments on the bars and it was fun to hear what you fave cereals were, both growing up and now.  So many of you mentioned Cinnamon Toast Crunch.   Yep, me too!  Haven’t had it in years but loved it as a kid.

1. Best thing you ate or did over the weekend?

The Smores Bars but I have to lay off them because the gluten is now officially killing me and my gut is a mess.  Ugh.   But they sure were good going down!

Time on the couch for 45 minutes Sunday evening while Skylar told me her little secrets and Scott rubbed my back and feet was pretty much heaven on earth.  I’m a massage junkie so a back + foot rub is The.Best.

2. What’s one of your favorite snacks?  Do you ever make snack bites/balls/bars?

Do tell!

I try to make my own whenever possible and have this section with Kid-Friendly Snacks (or college dorm room friendly or anyone friendly)

And also under Microwave Cakes or under Granola Bars with the Desserts Section are some great bars/snacks ideas

Have a great week!

48 Responses to “Power Snacks”

Claire @ Live and Love to Eat — August 29, 2011 at 12:36 pm

The best thing I ate this weekend was an ahi tuna spinach salad!
    Those snacks almost look like the ones you make anyway! :) I am obsessed with your recipes and the others that are floating around these days!

Holly @ The Runny Egg — August 29, 2011 at 12:45 pm

Best thing about the weekend — going to the Twins game yesterday and having a pretzel and cheese — didn’t feel good afterward but it tasted so good! (plus 2 beers, how could it not taste good?) :)

Your new header is beautiful!

Brooke — August 29, 2011 at 12:47 pm

My current favorite snack is raw veggies with guacamole. Yum!

Brooke

Maris (In Good Taste) — August 29, 2011 at 1:09 pm

I must make some of your raw/vegan treats – I just started a vegan detox/diet today. I am not planning on doing it forever, but I want to lose some weight and eat less junk, I feel like I’ve been going out to eat and drink way too much this summer and I need to start eating more veggies! Will definitely be grabbing some of your recipes.

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — August 29th, 2011 at 1:38 pm

yes and if you are going thru a new budget situation b/c of your job issues…eat at home girl!!

Savannah @ Sweet and Savvy — August 29, 2011 at 1:25 pm

I love to snack on fresh fruit and yogurt.. I need to start making more of my own snack bites, etc!

cathy — August 29, 2011 at 1:27 pm

that IS a great new header, averie! i love the fonts.
    “I pretty much freeze everything.” – > this was my family, growing up. my mom was queen of freezing anything and everything and it all tasted just fine. in fact, i prefer squares/bars/baked goods slightly frozen, just out of the freezer.
    the last treat i baked was vegan choco chip cookies. they were great. i spend as little time in the kitchen as possible, though, so baked goods are few and far between around this place!
    glad you got to relax yesterday with scott and skylar – that is awesome!

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — August 29th, 2011 at 1:37 pm

thanks cathy!
      thank you…It’s been a work in progress. The emails have been fast & furious this morning! all this stuff is so much up and back!

Estela @ Weekly Bite — August 29, 2011 at 1:30 pm

LOVE the new header!! It really polishes up the site :)

The best thing I ate over the weekend was my birthday dinner :)

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — August 29th, 2011 at 1:37 pm

thank you…It’s been a work in progress.

The emails have been fast & furious this morning and Ive made some other tweaks to it all too. And it all comes…at once!

glad you went out and explored San Diego for your bday!

katie @ KatieDid — August 29, 2011 at 1:31 pm

I love the new header averie! It looks really really nice and simple and chic! I’m sure you’ve been hard at work at that, and other projects, and it really looks awesome.
    Best thing I ate this weekend…. tons of snacking with my best friends during the hurricane yesterday, but not because of the food, it was the company!

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — August 29th, 2011 at 1:36 pm

thank you…It’s been a work in progress.

The emails have been fast & furious this morning!

the amt of behind the scenes projects have been…unreal!

Heather (Where's the Beach) — August 29, 2011 at 1:31 pm

Oh those look pretty good. I am with you – I freeze almost everything too!

Trainer Kjirsten @ Balanced Healthy Life — August 29, 2011 at 1:37 pm

I’ve never made snack/dough balls and really need to get with everyone else on them! I always think they look so amazing, but never get to making them. Your oatmeal carrot cake dough balls might just be the recipe I start with!

Shay — August 29, 2011 at 2:06 pm

loving the new header! And I am off to make some microwave magic!

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg — August 29, 2011 at 2:08 pm

The blog has a new look!! I love it!

Keelie (SweatEqualsSuccess) — August 29, 2011 at 2:17 pm

Ok, first of all, HOW GORGEOUS IS SKYLAR!? Beautiful! She’s getting so big!

I made an heirloom tomato pizza this weekend- OH. YES.

I need to get into the habit of making snacks- I’m going back to grad school and need some portable munchies!

Naomi(onefitfoodie) — August 29, 2011 at 2:44 pm

ah all of your snacks always look so DARN GOOD!!!! best thing I ate this weekend was defiantely a huge hunk of warm fresh bread when I went out to eat on friday night! (it was my cheat!!) wow it was delicious!! Your nwe header on the blog is so sweet!! I think it fits YOU perfectly! :)

all time favorite snacks will forever be apple + almond butter or greek yogurt with raw oatmeal mixed in with cinnamon and nutmeg mmm

Jennie @ What's Jen Eating? — August 29, 2011 at 2:55 pm

Ohmygosh, I was just craving something sweet and chocolatey. I’m going to go make those microwave peanut butter oat bars right now!!

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — August 29th, 2011 at 3:38 pm

make them, they are so easy and lmk if you did!

and the last post and your comment on the GG’s cereal in one sitting, I was smiling at that comment!

• Jennie @ What's Jen Eating? replied: — August 29th, 2011 at 4:10 pm

Made ‘em! :) I didn’t let them sit in the freezer long enough to really form into bars though. They were basically cooled…and I just grabbed a spoon. No restraint, here. :)

Alicia — August 29, 2011 at 3:15 pm

Love the new heading! The best thing I ate over the weekend was your “flourless chocolate peanut butter chocolate chip cookies.” They are soooo good, thanks for the recipe. I made them into small balls so that when they baked they stayed small and chunky, perfect little dessert or snack, except I’m not able to eat just one :)

Betsy — August 29, 2011 at 4:10 pm

Along with everyone else, I LOVE THE NEW HEADER!!! So classic and hip at the same time – bravo!
    Best thing I ate this weekend was oven roasted shrimp with thyme, sweet sun gold tomatoes from my garden, and corn. Makes great leftovers too! Favorite snack is watermelon, but that will change with the season… in the fall… maybe honey crisp apples with cinnamon!

Christine (The Raw Project) — August 29, 2011 at 4:12 pm

Love the new look! And sweet snack score, thanks for reminding me I need to make more raw chocolate balls for hubby. :-)

1. Spent time cheering up my grandma in a care facility.
    2. Lately it’s been raw balls, they’re so easy to make and freeze.

Stephanie {Fab You Bliss} — August 29, 2011 at 4:24 pm

I’m so excited there’s another blogger in the workshop!!! So much fun :-)

Kelli — August 29, 2011 at 5:24 pm

Love your new look!!! The best thing I ate this weekend was my mom’s birthday cake from Barb’s bakery. Did you ever have any of their stuff when you lived in Phoenix? THey do all the baking for AJs too. Heaven!!! (i did pay the price with a nasty stomach ache, but it was worth it!)

My husband teases me b/c I am obsessed with raw balls. (and I have to call them that!) Any combo, I love them! My blog tomrrow is a fancy raw ball made into a bar-yum! And yes, they have to be frozen for me too!

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — August 29th, 2011 at 8:04 pm

raw balls. love writing it :)

can’t wait for your recipe. and no, never made it to Barb’s. we were only there for 9 mos and pretty much, I went no where. ha!

Megan — August 29, 2011 at 5:44 pm

i LOVE the new header!!!!! LOVE LOVE

Pure2raw twins — August 29, 2011 at 5:56 pm

best thing I ate over the weekend – mint avocado chocolate layered cake ;)

Natalie @ Nitty Grits — August 29, 2011 at 6:58 pm

Beautiful photos. I’ve been thinking about your Golden Graham snackers all afternoon and wondering how to make them vegan. Wonder if I can make condensed milk out of coconut milk…

blossjoss — August 29, 2011 at 7:30 pm

Skylar never stops smiling or dancing does she? :)

It would be awesome if you could somehow incorporate raspberries into a dessert ball. Hmm. And dark chocolate.

Kristen, Sweetly — August 29, 2011 at 7:48 pm

a perfect grilled cheese… with ketchup. one day on vacation, i scoffed at the kid doing it. the next day, i couldn’t resist. it tasted like a never-ending mozzarella stick.

my favorite snacks change way too often to pick one. i was into carrots with peanut butter last week, now i think i’m shifting into cereal (red berries and chocolatey delight) and almond milk.

Katharina — August 29, 2011 at 8:50 pm

Oh my gosh those s’mores bars look so freaking crazy (and not in a scary way lol).

You know, recently my mom has been buying all these super foods, and I’ve been trying more of them… I have really been loving them. I use to be like whatever about them because I think the hype around them can be annoying. But aside from that, I think a lot of them taste really good :D And those sound interesting!

1. Hm… I read a really great article in the latest issue of “Interview”. A conversation with Christopher Bollen on his new novel, and he had some really interesting things to say :) I thought last night was also really great. I went to the theater last night with my mom to watch Midnight in Paris, and we were the only ones in the movie theater :) it’s so much fun when that happens. Actually, this reminded me of a recent idea I had for a performance series. Go to movie theaters and stand at the front–before the lights go down and the film is rolling–and make a thought provoking statement on humanity in the subtlest way.

2. Hmm… favorite snacks? I love fruit! Fruit with yogurt, fruit with nut butters :)

XO, much love to you!!!

Ali @ Urbanfruitbat — August 29, 2011 at 9:53 pm

I love your balls lady. Lol

Amber K — August 30, 2011 at 9:48 am

That stinks that the gluten is affecting your system again. I hope I can heal enough that I can have a little with no problem, but I’m thinking that would probably just convince me to eat a lot! And then things would be no good, no good at all.

I don’t really snack much, but I do love Larabars and homemade versions. Oh and I love your raw vegan caramels. Soooo good!

lynn @ the actor's diet — August 30, 2011 at 3:18 pm

love those little snacks – my hubby doesn’t dig them, which is weird, b/c he loves them in full bar form…

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — September 3, 2011 at 9:24 am

I left a comment on this post a few days ago, but it is not showing up.

I have never made snack balls, but I should because they are more suited to the small amount of sweetness I need to be satisfied.