Veggies & Pictures

I received a very cold box from UPS yesterday.

I had no idea what was in it.

Surprise, surprise it was…

Birds Eye Steamfresh Vegetable pouches that I received as part of my relationship with the Foodbuzz Tastemaker Program.

I’m sure these Birds Eye potatoes & veggies will come in handy on one of those evenings when I’m running late and everyone’s hungry and I don’t have time to make something from scratch.  Steam it in the bag, open it, serve.  Easy.

Normally I don’t buy pre-bagged vegetables because I’m cheap frugal and I make things on my own.

I enjoy keeping it simple with Roasted Sweet Potato Fries

Or Cinnamon Sugar & Ginger Roasted Potato Sticks

But sometimes shortcuts are handy.

And in other matters, as part of the Foodbuzz Tastemaker program with Kodak Gallery, I am pleased to announce that KODAK Gallery is providing an exclusive offer to extend to my
readers:

40% off a medium hardcover or a large Photo Book

Go to the Kodak Gallery to redeem your almost half price off photo book.

The offer is only available through this link from 8/1/11 – 8/31/11.

If you’ve never made one before, they’re really fun to do because you get to obsess over look over all your photos, plug them into templates, and your pictures get turned into a book.

They make great gifts, too.  When Skylar was approaching her first birthday and for her first Christmas, I made a book celebrating her first year and gave it to my parents and I think it’s one of their favorite and most cherished gifts, ever.

I want to make one with pictures from our recent Aruba Trip, complete with turquoise ocean

boat rides

and hair braiding to help remember our trip.

From my last post, it was fun to hear what baking and kitchen toys you have, what you’d like to have, and what things you’ve bought that you’ve been less than thrilled with.  Lots of Kitchen Aid Stand Mixer and Vita-Mix lust going on.  I am *this close* to pulling the trigger on a Kitchen Aid Stand Mixer but haven’t bought it.  Yet.  We shall see.  I already bought something major this week.  Ahem.  I should probably chill out!

1. Do you buy pre-packed or pre-made veggies?  Do you buy canned or frozen foods?

For me:

Canned, extremely rarely.

Frozen, rarely; but there are things like frozen edamame or frozen mango chunks that are staples.

Fresh is what I usually buy because there is no salt, oil, seasoning, water, sauces, coatings, or anything else added to the food so I can do with it what I wish and I know that it’s a blank canvas for making other things with, but sometimes shortcuts are handy!

2. Have you ever made a photo book?  If so, what did you include?  And if you were to make one, what would you like to include in it?

There are so many events I could put in it from the photos I took recently in Mexico City or in Boulder at Food & Light; our Aruba trip pictures, birthday parties or Hallowweens, or just scenes from our daily life here.

There’s a picture in everything and something special to remember in everything.   <–not being paid to say that!  It’s the photographer in me talking.  I could have a field day making photo books! Sort of like modern-day scrapbooking I’m thinking.

Enjoy your Thursday.  Wow, the weekend’s coming up already.  Yay!

32 Responses to “Veggies & Pictures”

Heather (Where's the Beach) — August 11, 2011 at 1:47 pm

I do try to keep frozen veggies on hand for quick stir fry dinners or in a pinch situations. They’re just handy. The only canned things I keep are beans, tomatoes, artichoke hearts. I’ve made a few scrapbooks actually. They pale in comparison to people who really really scrapbook though!

Maris (In Good Taste) — August 11, 2011 at 1:49 pm

Love the Aruba pictures!

Katie — August 11, 2011 at 2:17 pm

I buy frozen spinach, peas, corn, and broccoli, but that’s about it. I never get the ones with stuff in them – just the veggies. Mostly I do it for convenience, but I also use those things a lot in my hummus/sauces that I make at least once a week. Frozen is just easier for those.

I made a book like that on shutterfly. It was fun, but took more time than I had initially imagined. I want to do another, but we’ll see if that ever happens. :)

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — August 11th, 2011 at 3:21 pm

I did mine thru Shutterfly too 4 years ago. It was the most user friendly interface I had found and yes, I too, spent an INORDINATE amount of time at it. Far!! more than I could have ever imagined :) Between my perfectionist tendencies, the uploading, the formating, the typeface and fonts…yes, it was my life’s work :)

Naomi(onefitfoodie) — August 11, 2011 at 2:20 pm

i do always have some frozen veggies on hand in the freezer…save some money and also just in case I have no fresh there are ALWAYS frozen veggies in there! I am not a fan of prefrozen potatoes though bleh…maybe I just dont know how to make them right, but I much prefer the fresh stuff!!!

Alexa @ Simple Eats — August 11, 2011 at 2:21 pm

I buy a lot of canned beans, but never canned veggies. I just don’t like the taste! I’m totally with you about giving scrapbooks as gifts. They’re full of so much thought and love. I made one for my parent’s anniversary and they loved it!

Kate @ Run with Kate — August 11, 2011 at 2:26 pm

Ahhh! Sweet potato fries. Yum! Those are my favorite!!

I don’t usually buy frozen veggies or canned veggies…just fresh. I just don’t enjoy them.

Your Aruba pictures look unreal!

Michaela — August 11, 2011 at 2:38 pm

I bet your photo books look fab!
    1) I really like frozen peas and sweetcorn, also some fruit for smoothies or baking, but that is it. I prefer eating fresh food and as you said, I like “blank canvas”! And I feel canned foods are not very hygienic, also the taste is not that great…
    2) Nope, but I plan to. Might use your offer, thanks :) I will make a book with pictures of my time being an aupair and probably also a travel book. Yikes, that will be tough choosing pictures!!!

Juliette — August 11, 2011 at 3:30 pm

1.) I try to steer clear of frozen or canned veggies except some frozen berries, frozen edamame & canned beans. Frozen stuff never tastes as good as the fresh stuff to me but it can be helpful in a pinch.
    2.) Yes, I did a photo book last summer of my trip to Alaska. It’s really fun! If I did one again, I would probably choose wedding shots (it’s all goin down in one week!) Hooray!

P.S. I want to go to Aruba & your daughter is so cute!

Kaitlyn@TheTieDyeFiles — August 11, 2011 at 3:52 pm

Canned is an almost never for me, except coconut milk and to,atoes for sauces pretty much. Same with frozen, just edamame! I prefer my foods to have no label if at all possible!

Emily @ Comfortable Home Life — August 11, 2011 at 5:22 pm

I still scrapbook! I’m an old lady, apparently. It’s fun, but it gets expensive. I’ve never made a printed photo book, but my bFF has made several. I love looking at picture books!

Rebecca — August 11, 2011 at 6:01 pm

I normally don’t buy frozen vegtables except broccoli. A friend made dinner last night and did a bag of chefs choice steam bags. They weren’t bad and really hit the veggie spot =)

Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit — August 11, 2011 at 6:02 pm

I kept thinking today was Wednesday. It totally cramped my style. I couldn’t be happier that it’s Friday tomorrow, my gosh.

katie @ KatieDid — August 11, 2011 at 6:07 pm

I buy frozen broccoli and brussel sprouts. Since I only cook for myself its nice to not have to worry about too much food going bad if I don’t go through it all, so plain frozen veggies are a huge staple for me.

Paige @ Running Around Normal — August 11, 2011 at 6:19 pm

I’m always amazed when I receive something that is still frozen when shipped in the summer! I missed out on this offer.
    In the winter I’ll buy frozen veggies every now and then just because here in Illinois, good fresh veggies have a loooong way to travel:)

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey — August 11, 2011 at 6:20 pm

I rarely buy frozen, but it’s nice to have a bag around just in case!!

cathy — August 11, 2011 at 6:27 pm

speaking of aruba…you’ll be researching december flights in the not-too-distant future!
    fresh, fresh and ONLY fresh veg. the only tinned veg i really like is sliced mushrooms!
    my SIL makes a calendar every year for our family members with photos of my nieces, primarily, but all the rest of us get a “featured month” with photos, too. i have kept every one she’s made and treasure them. that’s a wonderful gift you made for your parents, averie! nothing pleases grandparents more than photos!

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — August 11th, 2011 at 6:48 pm

you’re such a mind reader…i was JUST thinking about the ticket search…yesterday. Ugh…don’t want to spend the money (yet) but usually late Aug/early Sept is when I buy them…wow.!!!

Jamie | My Baking Addiction — August 11, 2011 at 6:31 pm

We only use a select few frozen veggies, but I agree with you, sometimes ya need a shortcut! I’ll have to check this brand out next time I need a time saver.

Colleen — August 11, 2011 at 6:40 pm

We buy frozen fruit but usually nothing else. My aunt made several photo books using Snapfish and they turned out terrific!

Brooke — August 11, 2011 at 7:22 pm

I keep frozen strawberries for smoothies and a HUGE bag of organic frozen green beans for those just-in-case moments where you need a veggie but can’t find one!

Brooke

Heather — August 11, 2011 at 7:50 pm

the further north you live the shorter the growing season. there are few months when we can get fresh local produce. frozen is a wonderful alternative with the exception of strawberries.

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — August 11th, 2011 at 8:56 pm

well I buy lots of fresh, but not necessarily fresh AND local. It’s awesome when you can get it but not always practical or easy, even for me here in San Diego.

Jessica — August 11, 2011 at 8:29 pm

I couldnt get your Kodak link to work?
    We always have canned beans on hand (I am too lazy to make them myself) and frozen fruits for smoothies.

Jessica — August 11, 2011 at 10:21 pm

Your Aruba photographs are BEAUTIFUL!

I really prefer fresh vegetables because I think they taste so much better, but I also like having a few bags of frozen corn and broccoli, and canned black beans on hand for those days when I didn’t have time to run to the store and need veggies. With only 2 in our house, I often find I buy a bunch of fresh veggies only to see them go bad before I eat them.

I have never made a photo book but if I did, I imagine I’d make one of my favorite family photos over the years and give them to my siblings and parents.

Krista — August 12, 2011 at 6:40 am

I only buy frozen veggies in the winter when everything is out of season. As for canned…only buy beans and tomato sauce. I think canned veg are GROSS!!! ;)

Amber K — August 12, 2011 at 9:20 am

I find canned beans entirely too convenient, so while I’d like to cut them out, I don’t foresee that happening anytime soon. I just don’t like the texture of dried beans once they are cooked. I don’t know what magic process they use to make canned beans, but they are so much firmer. Frozen bags of just veggies yes. I hate it when frozen veggies have any other ingredients besides the veggies themselves.

I scrapbook, so I’m constantly making photo books. It’s not the most frugal hobby I could have, but it’s fun!

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — August 16, 2011 at 10:17 am

I buy canned foods, but rarely do I buy pre-packaged or frozen foods (besides frozen pizza).

I would love to make a photo book one day.