Banana Flavored

I’ve mentioned that I love Tootsie Pops

I bought a new bag yesterday and found one lone banana-flavored Tootsie Pop

Banana-flavored anything tastes nothing like real bananas

I don’t know how they think this tastes like this a banana.

It doesn’t.

But that’s ok.

Most foods with banana flavoring have a really unique taste and you either love it or hate it

Banana Laffy Taffy anyone?

I’ve mentioned that I actually don’t really like bananas by themselves but that in things, they are magical.

I have a Banana Recipes post where I highlight my recipes that use bananas in them:

Microwave Banana Blueberry Oat Cakes (vegan, GF, single serving)

Peanut Butter Banana Bread (vegan, GF)

and

No-Bake Vegan Peanut Butter Protein Bars

And more.

Also, if you have any ripe bananas that you need to use up, asap, check it out

1. What’s your take on banana-flavored foods?

Sometimes I am down for the fake banana flavored stuff.  The banana Tootsie pop was good but I think I’m good for a long time with banana flavoring.

Wait.  Until Halloween and the fun-sized Laffy Taffy’s are out!  Which is soon.

2. Do you like bananas?  Fave way to eat them?

As I said above, I actually don’t really like bananas by themselves but that in things, they are great.

In vegan and/or gluten free baking, bananas are superstars.  They really help replace eggs (moisture + help things bind) and replace gluten (help things bind and stick together) in one fell swoop.

They’re also superstars with frozen (vegan & GF) treats & smoothies, too.

Vanilla Banana Avocado “Ice Cream” anyone?

It’s was 93F here in San Diego today! A scorcher again!

52 Responses to “Banana Flavored”

Kristina @ spabettie — September 7, 2011 at 5:28 pm

this is HILARIOUS!! I have always wondered WHERE that banana flavor comes from!? no banana I’ve ever eaten. ;)

Sarah — September 7, 2011 at 5:32 pm

Banana flavored tootsie roll pop? Odd. Banana laffy taffy? Yummy. But I generally hate fake banana flavor too.

Sweet and Savvy — September 7, 2011 at 5:34 pm

I am the exact opposite of you! I love eating just ripe bananas by themselves or with a bit of nut butter, but I cannot stand anything That is banana flavored! I don’t Even like banana in Smoothies.

Heather (Where's the Beach) — September 7, 2011 at 5:36 pm

I used to hate bananas now I crave them. But banana flavored things never seem to taste right. So real banana whole or in baking and that’s it.

Cricket — September 7, 2011 at 5:41 pm

definitely not a fan of banana flavored things…I like bananas but I find that I have to be in a mood to eat them…it’s not a fruit that is a go-to for me. I do, however, use them like crazy in my smoothies!

blessings,

Lauren — September 7, 2011 at 5:46 pm

Banana flavored??? This is wonderful news. I will definitely keep an eye out for these.

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — September 7th, 2011 at 5:49 pm

they’ve been around for AGES…like since my childhood, the banana flavored tootsie pops but they are VERY limited edition. Like years can go by and I’ll never even see one. Kind of like pumpkin spiced lattes…very limited edition :)

VeggieGirl — September 7, 2011 at 5:46 pm

Tootsie Pops…. you just reminded me that I might resurrect my Tootsie Roll costume again this year :D

Heather the Polka Dot Bandit — September 7, 2011 at 5:47 pm

I love banana bread, and bananas by themselves. I might have to try a banana ice cream. Fake flavor is okay, but it definitely doesn’t even remotely taste like actual banana

Meredith (Reeftraveler) — September 7, 2011 at 5:53 pm

I try to eat a banana every day, whether alone on in my breakfast smoothie. I’m a such a fan that, in addition to our wedding cake, we had bananas foster prepared and served to every guest at our wedding reception! It was yummy! Good memories :)

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg — September 7, 2011 at 6:08 pm

Ugh– I HATE banana-flavored things!! So funny, because I love bananas…but I guess you’re right, the banana “flavor” usually tastes nothing like bananas!

dragonmamma/naomi — September 7, 2011 at 6:12 pm

I just finished a bowl of blenderized frozen-banana “ice cream” with cocoa nibs on top.
    Can’t stand fake banana flavor, bleccch!

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) — September 7, 2011 at 6:16 pm

I don’t like banana flavored foods. I love banana bread, but that’s real banana. I don’t even like smoothies with banana in them. They over power the other flavors.

Nikki — September 7, 2011 at 6:24 pm

I love banana popsicles!! And I am the same as you..I won’t eat a whole banana, but love them baked in things!

Kaitlyn@TheTieDyeFiles — September 7, 2011 at 6:27 pm

I. Love. Bananas. Right now my favorite way to eat them is in banana soft serve! I can’t remember the last time I had something banana flavored, so I’m not sure what my take is. That banana bread looks amazing! I need to get on that.

Brooke — September 7, 2011 at 6:28 pm

I have NEVER seen a banana tootsie pop before!!!!

Brooke

janetha @ meals & moves — September 7, 2011 at 6:29 pm

I HATE BANANA FLAVORED STUFF! sorry to shout. i just am so passionate about my hate for it. i always picked out the naner runts.

Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit — September 7, 2011 at 6:35 pm

I didn’t even know they made banana flavored tootsie pops. Interesting.
    My favorite banana flavored thing: penicillin. I used to get SO happy when I’d get sick as a kid because that meant I got “banana medicine” as we called it. Looking back I could have just had a load of probiotics, rest, and a frozen banana treat. Darn those antibiotics. haha

Naomi(onefitfoodie) — September 7, 2011 at 6:44 pm

i totally agree that banana ‘things’ taste nothing like bananas! same with grape…I mean anything grape flavored tastes nothing like grapes LOL but oh well I still enjoy both unless they taste SO fake…bleh

wow banana tootsie pops! never seen!! my favorite were the strawberry blow pops and cherry tootsie pops…mmm i love them!

cathy — September 7, 2011 at 6:49 pm

i have never been a fan of eating just a banana. seriously, i remember as a kid they made me want to gag.
    but best popsicle flavour? banana! very fake, but it’s tasty!
    and i love banana cupcakes – my mom has the best recipe.
    you’ve got some great banana recipes, averie!

chelsea — September 7, 2011 at 7:02 pm

a banana tootsie pop just sounds nasty. banana laffy taffy though is the BOMB! Everytime halloween comes to town I always look for it the most haha ;D

Gina @ Running to the Kitchen — September 7, 2011 at 7:03 pm

I’m not a huge candy person at all and think fake fruit flavored anything is kind of gross to be honest. I love real bananas though! Favorite, simplest way? Split down the middle with nut butter in between :)

kris (everyday oats) — September 7, 2011 at 7:04 pm

I’ve been away from my google reader for a while and am just now catching up on my reading and my, I have to say I love the new design of your blog! So cute!
    As far as banana flavored things, I think they generally taste really artificial and I’m not a fan. It’s basically a flavor of its own and should be named candied-banana or something.
    I go through banana phases and like them every now and then. Currently I’m loving them :P

lynn @ the actor's diet — September 7, 2011 at 7:25 pm

you and me need to be the tootsie pop girls! i don’t dig the banana one either but i am into the caramel which you can only find at 99 cent stores!

Katie — September 7, 2011 at 7:43 pm

Yum! I’m with you on the bananas – love them in smoothies and baked goods (and small doses of banana-flavoured sweets) but I am not crazy about bananas on their own…something about the texture!

Victoria @ The Pursuit of Hippieness — September 7, 2011 at 7:44 pm

Yuck… I’ve always thought that banana flavoring is the WORST. I remember when I was little and the last remains of my Halloween candy was always the banana flavored rejects!

Kelli — September 7, 2011 at 7:56 pm

I am obsessed with bananas and so is my family. Seriously every time I go to the store I buy at least 5 bunches and the clerks can’t help but ask myself if I have a monkey in the house. I always reply “actually I do!” Check out Merrick’s first year bday party where he was a monkey! http://www.katieleehome.com/blog/?tag=hummus

Great timing with your post and my baking. I made your pb banana bread today for a playdate tomorrow. They were bananas (Channeling my inner Rachel Zoe!) You are so right about them being beyond moist and delicious! I had to put them on top of the fridge so they make it tomorrow! Thanks again for the yummy healthy recipe!

Mai — September 7, 2011 at 7:59 pm

Artificially banana flavored things are the worse. Bananas are by far my favorite fruit! They are a requirement with oatmeal/overnight oats :). Plain banana with nut better, banana bread, soft serve . . . can’t get enough of those!

Ali @ Urbanfruitbat — September 7, 2011 at 8:08 pm

Haha, you are so funny! I love that you love Tootsie Pops. I am not a fan of banana flavoured things. Reminds me to much or banana medicine! Bleck! I do LOVE bananas though! I bought my 300 dollar Champion Juicer purely so that I could make banana ice cream. Five years later and that is still its main function!

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — September 8th, 2011 at 3:50 am

never knew that champ’s made ice cream. probably the only reason I’d deal with juicer cleanup would be for ice cream. not juice :)

• Ali @ Urbanfruitbat replied: — September 8th, 2011 at 10:38 am

Yep! All about the ice cream for sure. Totally worth it.

Katie — September 7, 2011 at 8:54 pm

I think those banana tootsie pops are gross and I hate real bananas, but I LOVE banana flavored laffy taffy and the banana runts. Otherwise, no bananas for me. Oh, and banana bread. Love that too.

Christine (The Raw Project) — September 7, 2011 at 9:12 pm

Whoa, I’ve never scene a banana flavored Tootsie Pop! But agreed on phony banana flavors, not good.

1. I adore fresh, frozen, and dried real bananas. But some of the fake banana candies just don’t do it for me.
    2. Yes! As soft serve or in smoothies. I also like TJ’s flattened bananas too, great snack to sneak into a movie theater. :-)

Katie — September 7, 2011 at 9:21 pm

Haha fruit flavored things are so funny! Like… watermelon? Uh, no. Cherry and strawberry, too! So silly. Although I do love banana-flavored runts.

Jessica — September 7, 2011 at 9:26 pm

I’m with you. Bananas are best as a supporting player and they’re cheap! I can buy them for like $.57 lb. here in Utah.
    Have you ever tried substituting a banana for a marshmallow when making s’mores? Just roast the banana like a marshmallo and enjoy. it is delicious! I prefer them over traditional s’mores regardless of the added benefit of not consuming gelatin.
    If you eat greek yogurt, try blending half a banana with a cup of greek yogurt and a couple tablespoons of peanut butter for breakfast. Also delicious.

Alexis @ hummusapien — September 7, 2011 at 10:10 pm

i’m not gonna lie…i love banana flavored laffy taffy! but that’s where my artificial banana love ends. past that, i’m only into the real banana flavor :)

Ellen — September 7, 2011 at 11:55 pm

I can’t stand banana flavored things. I actually almost ne’er want to eat plain bananas-though growing up we ate them dipped in a pile brown sugar and that wa good but I think I was in it for the sugar-rush. If I do eat one raw these days it had to be still sort if green.
    That being said, I love banana bread. Go fig.

Emmy (Wine and Butter) — September 8, 2011 at 3:33 am

EW! I hate most flavoured stuff now but I ALWAYS hated banana flavour. I dont even like people eating it near me – for real! I do however loev bananas and my fave way is spread with almond butter and topped with cinammon. I also LOVE banana bread and really want to try your GF recipe – not to mention that ICE CREAM!?! Im off to check out the recipe now! xox

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — September 8th, 2011 at 3:52 am

Lmk if you end up making it!

• Emmy (Wine and Butter) replied: — September 8th, 2011 at 3:54 am

Of course! Ive just checked it out and I dont have a blender (:() BUT I do have an ice cream maker so I mgiht try processign the ingredients and then putting them in the maker (minus the ice obv) will def post updates and links for anything successful! xox

Krista — September 8, 2011 at 8:16 am

I’m not fond of banana flavouring at all. I’m also not fond of bananas straight up. GAG!! BUT…I do love “real” banana flavour like mashed into oats or cooked into baked goods or made into soft serve. ;)

Amber K — September 8, 2011 at 10:51 am

I LOVE bananas, and I actually love banana-flavored things, but you’re right they don’t actually taste like banana. I didn’t even know they had banana flavored tootsie roll pops. I have never seen one! It sounds awwwwwwwwwwesome!

Kelli — September 8, 2011 at 6:24 pm

Everyone loved the pb banana bread! Even the kids ate it right up. I baked them in cupcake molds so they were super cute too!

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — September 10, 2011 at 3:56 pm

I have never seen a banana tootsie pop! I do like banana flavoured stuff, like a DQ milkshake with 1 squirt of banana syrup and 1/2 a scoop of cone dip. It is so good, but I haven’t had it since I worked there many, many years ago.

Mike Frett — August 22, 2013 at 4:41 pm

See, nobody pays attention in class. Isoamyl Acetate is used as Banana flavoring, however some products taste a little better. The thing is, that Banana taste you think tastes nothing like a Banana — is EXACTLY what Bananas use to taste like before a Virus wiped out the species.

Bananas are highly susceptible to decease and have been genetically modified over the years to resist some of those deceases. So you could say, today’s Bananas taste nothing like real Bananas.