Creating

I spent time in the kitchen earlier today creating.

I’ll give you three hints at what I created.  Inspired by three of my favorite food categories.

It had something to do with:

Chocolate Recipes

Flourless Chocolate Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies

Peanut Butter Recipes

Flourless Peanut Butter Cookies

Balls/Bites/Bars Recipes

High Raw Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Balls

This recipe is sort of similar to what I created but not entirely

No Bake Nutella & Peanut Butter Graham Bars with Chocolate Frosting

It sure was fun making a mess and taking out 17 different things out from my cupboards and then deciding what was going to go into the recipe

And what didn’t…

Like most everything I make, it came from items I have in my pantry or what I happened to have on hand.  Like Oreos!

Why would I go buy something just to make a dessert?  Yes, ok, I have.  But I try not to.

1. What have you created lately?  Not even just created in the kitchen, but anything.

Have you created any artwork, photography, sewing, music, poetry, writing, creative dance or yoga, created a shabby chic piece of furniture, done a DIY project of any kind, created anything from a wall mural to putting together an outfit that was pretty awesome?  What’s been your latest creation?

I am happy with the way our house and furniture came together in our new place.

Making your living space a home and arranging your existing furniture and possibly pairing it with new pieces that complement the space so everything fits, works together, and doesn’t look like a complete hodgepodge I think is definitely an exercise in creativity.

I know many of you just moved into new places because the school year just started so I bet you have some moving in and new-home-makeover-creation stories, too.

2. What inspires your creativity in general?

In the kitchen, some people are recipe followers.  I am not.

I am a recipe ad-libber.  Doing it on the fly with what I have on hand.

Tweaking the dough until I have it right in terms of texture, taste, consistency, authenticity, and the intended recipe goal.  <– i.e. Sometimes I want to make cookies but the dough is too runny so I either have to add flour and then end up with way more cookies than I’d care to dollop onto cookie sheets, or just roll with the punches, change a few things up perhaps, and pour it all into a cake pan.

In terms of my photography, I am constantly inspired by almost everything around me.  I can be in really unique surroundings and be inspired and still want to take pictures.

P.S. Thanks for the Healthy Snacks Giveaway Entries

Enjoy your weekend and I hope you’re creating or doing something fun!

42 Responses to “Creating”

Carrie (Moves 'N Munchies) — September 10, 2011 at 2:22 pm

woah there- i just ate and now you made me want more…
    NOT COOL AVERIE! but actually it is because everything on this page is insane
    INSANE! #YUM

Megan @ The Detoxinista — September 10, 2011 at 2:23 pm

I love creating recipes in the kitchen! I usually base new recipes off what I have on hand, too– and sometimes by season. Right now, I’m all about cinnamon-flavored stuff!

I pretty much ad-lib all my kitchen creations, too… mostly to accommodate my “picky” food preferences. ;)

• #
      Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga — September 10, 2011 at 3:14 pm

you’re not picky…you just know what you want!

• #
      Katie — September 10, 2011 at 6:59 pm

I just got home from a potluck where I called myself picky. Someone said that exact line to me! It made me feel so much better!! I usually hate potlucks because I don’t want to be “that girl”, but this was the first time I didn’t feel like that and it was great.

Jackie @ That Deep Breath — September 10, 2011 at 2:37 pm

Today I created a yummy breakfast recipe I’m posting tomorrow! Can’t wait to see what this creation is!

Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance — September 10, 2011 at 2:39 pm

Wow! This looks very promising :D My guess is no-bake peanut butter Oreo balls!

cathy — September 10, 2011 at 2:41 pm

glad you had fun with your recipe creation, averie! very fun to relax with hobbies you truly enjoy.
    i am just putting the finishing touches on a sweater. knitting is my way of expressing creativity. today was our annual knitter’s fair and i stocked up on FIVE new projects – guess i’ll be good to go for a while. i love designing my own childrens’ knits and baby blankets, so now i’ve got the yarn to use for those. colourful yarns totally inspire me.
    hope you’re having a great day!

Kristin @ STUFT Mama — September 10, 2011 at 3:20 pm

Gosh- I don’t know what inspires my creativity. I always get ideas though while I’m running and I hate it when the idea I have in my head is hard ot actually put into actions or my actual creation is NOT what I thought it would be. :) ha! You just reminded me I need to work on my scrapbook I started 2 years ago. :)

Meredith (Reeftraveler) — September 10, 2011 at 3:22 pm

Anytime I see chocolate and peanut butter together it makes me happy! I can’t wait to see the result.

I just created an amazing tropical smoothie with coconut water, banana, pineapple and vanilla protein powder. It was yummy!

Kaitlyn@TheTieDyeFiles — September 10, 2011 at 3:33 pm

I was surprised to find out the other day that Oreos are vegan! I almost wish I didn’t find out. I can’t wait to hear about your creation. Today I created some homemade sushi, and a huge mess in my kitchen!

• #
      Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga — September 10, 2011 at 8:24 pm

I knew Oreos were vegan, but I forget that trivia factoid b/c it seems like such a nonsequitor!

Bev Weidner — September 10, 2011 at 3:44 pm

My guess is some sort of cheesy chicken dish!

I’m totally joking. I’m not an idiot, world!

Whatever you’re making, I’ll take it through an IV, please.

• #
      Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga — September 10, 2011 at 8:25 pm

every single comment of yours brings intense joy and a huge smile to my face b/c i LOVE your sense of humor. One day I’d love to meet up over one of your famous mojitos!

The Veggie Side — September 10, 2011 at 3:59 pm

My weakness is sweets! I think I was drooling while looking at those pics!

Heather (Where's the Beach) — September 10, 2011 at 4:39 pm

My brain is just always going with new ideas. I love reading blogs for inspiration and combining ideas from things I already make or enjoy. It can be so fun to spend time in the kitchen being creative. It’s my way of painting I suppose (since I can’t draw stick figures).

natasha — September 10, 2011 at 5:40 pm

Thanks to your posts I finally made it to a Trader Joe’s in Monterey last weekend (I live in New Orleans) and the semi-sweet choc chips were heavenly. I flew some home with me. Also found some dark choc covered edamame there and the ingredients to make your cookie dough balls. So you inspired me!

mi-an — September 10, 2011 at 5:57 pm

i was trained by my grandma to cook so my inspiration always comes from her. and i’m like you, i hate following recipes. it’s usually gonna get tweeked at some point! :)

Sweet and Savvy — September 10, 2011 at 6:30 pm

Love all the chocolate recipes! :)

And the best kind of concoctions are the ones that are made of a plethora of random things that you pull out of the kitchen!

Brooke — September 10, 2011 at 6:50 pm

I so want to spend a day in your kitchen…

Brooke

Holly @ The Runny Egg — September 10, 2011 at 6:58 pm

Ok I’m interested in those oreos — is that fudge (or fudge like substance) in between? Yum. I can’t wait to see what you’ve come up with!

Lately I’ve been trying to create in my house — pictures, rearranging furniture, etc. It has been frustrating at time (I wish we had a million dollars to buy new furniture and stuff!) but its been fun too.

• #
      Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga — September 10, 2011 at 8:27 pm

yes a choc fudge layer. They were…shhh…a holiday edition cookie from LAST xmas that I found in my cupboards. Not expired and perfectly good to me :)

katie @ KatieDid — September 10, 2011 at 6:59 pm

I can’t wait to see your creation! I’ve been creating…. essays and loads of work for school which is somewhat uninspiring. But I’ve also been making time to create photography when I can fit it in! I get inspired by the perfect lighting in the evening, pockets of light, and nature.

• #
      Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga — September 10, 2011 at 8:28 pm

perfect lighting in the evening, pockets of light, and nature = the stuff a photographer dreams of :)

Ali @ Urbanfruitbat — September 10, 2011 at 7:30 pm

Oooh, I am excited to see what you made! I always add ground up oats to my raw desserts too, I think they add an excellent taste and texture, more like real baked goods some how. I have been creating allot over at my blog, but food is almost always my inspiration! I have many pics of things I have recently made that I should post. But there will be new things this Tuesday, so I may just wait until then!! You rock lady <3

Michele Sparrow — September 10, 2011 at 9:20 pm

How trippy…right before the email came in for tonights posting on Loveveggiesandyoga I was looking at an oreo recipe and thinking to myself “Wow, Averie would LOVE this recipe!” So, here it is. You may have seen it already?

Can’t wait to see your latest creation! :-)

Jin @ Health Ninja — September 10, 2011 at 10:55 pm

what a heap of treats!!! thats going to be an indulgence :) whos coming for visit? can I?

Robert@Reverse Phone Search — September 11, 2011 at 12:19 am

Since I am not that good at cooking so it is hard to guess what will be your special recipe but since it involves Chocolate and Peanut Butter,one thing is for sure that it will be delicious.

blossjoss — September 11, 2011 at 5:57 am

I really want to see what dessert you made! I’m preparing to make your dough balls for the first time with chocolate and peanut butter as star players. And maybe an oatmeal/raisin variety too. Yay! I’m usually a wing it, play it by ear girl when it comes to baking and cooking. But I do need to grab some dates from the store-trying to impress a potentially skeptical audience.

I created some chickpea burgers this week. They were a success!

As far as inspiration, I think its helpful to surround yourself in a stimulating, novel environment. As well as allow time for the juices to flow. I’m working on letting my creativity come out more.

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — September 11, 2011 at 10:01 am

I am not very creative, and haven’t “created” anything for quite some time.

Amber K — September 11, 2011 at 10:27 am

I haven’t really been creating anything lately, definitely need to get on that.

I wish I could be someone who didn’t have to follow a recipe! I’m just not the type of cook who goes “oh it just needs a little of this or that.” If something is ruined I have no idea how to fix it, but things are rarely ruined because I’m using a tried-and-true recipe 99% of the time. I just don’t have the money to waste on food duds. Probably why I don’t try as many new things as I’d like to.

Christine (The Raw Project) — September 11, 2011 at 5:18 pm

So exciting, can’t wait to see what you created!

1. Not much lately, I’ve been spending time in the hospital with family this weekend. :-(
    2. New flavors and ingredients to try, artistic goals, health goals, lots of things.

Rebeca — September 12, 2011 at 7:00 am

Chocolate and peanut butter….my favorite!

I love creating in the kitchen, but sometimes I end up not doing it because I’m afraid of a bust!

Katie — September 14, 2011 at 10:26 am

My last creation? Normally I’d say that I’m not creative in the least, but since you mentioned home projects I DO have an answer!

I’m pretty proud of the new combo I came up with for my apartment. I combined an area rug/curtains that was a pretty bold move but it totally works! I’m in looove + so proud of the coziness that I created :-)