Drugstore Top 10

I always like to hear what foods, finds, or products in general that other people use, like, and can’t live without. Here are some of my favorite drugstore health & beauty products.

Everything on this list:

I’ve used for years

I use it daily and swear by it

Can be found at a drugstore, grocery store, Target, etc.

Is under $5 bucks

And they work.  I’d stack any of these products up against pricier counterparts and would still choose these items.

In no particular order

1. Original Carmex Stick

I have this in every purse, gym bag, in multiple rooms in my house, on my desk, in my bathroom, on my night table, in our cars.  It works for my lips like no other.  And yes, I am addicted to the stuff.  “Natural” lip balms are nice in theory but this is what works for me.

2. Olay Toner

Cheap, doesn’t make me break out, leaves no strange film behind on my skin and doesn’t burn my skin.  It’s not a “treatment” toner, i.e. no alpha-hydroxy acids, so I don’t get that red, burning, irritated feeling if I use it multiple times per day, which I do.

3. Suave Body Wash

Smells great, works, lathers, bubbles up, and is a fraction of the cost of designer body washes.  I like Sweet Pea & Violet and the Mango scents the best but I have tried and used them all.  No complaints on any.

4. Maybelline Great Lash Big Mascara

Big lashes, not gloppy, clumpy and I always get results with it.

5. Crest Glide Mint Floss

My teeth have tight contact points thanks to my orthodontist (great for keeping food particles out, but hard to get floss in without it breaking, shredding, or ripping) and this floss is all I use.  Or can use.

6. Venus Embrace Razors

This isn’t under $5 bucks as a total setup but each refill cartridge is when you buy the replacement blades.  I will not skimp on razors and these are my faves.

7. Palmer’s Cocoa Butter Lotion

The best daily go-to lotion ever.  Thick without being gloppy or greasy and really moisturizes my skin better than lotions five times the price.  Plus, it smells great without being too overpowering.

As an aside, I never used any specialty “stretch mark preventative lotions” while pregnant and just used this.   Never got a stretch mark.  Some of that is genetic, yes; but some of it I think is the Palmer’s.  Cheap and effective from legs to pregnancy bellies.

8.Cottonelle Clean Care Toilet Paper

What can I say, I like this TP best.  Cheaper paper feels like sandpaper and other brands are almost too thick and can cause plumbing clogs, especially when you have a 4 year old who likes to throw 89758 squares in each bathroom visit.

9. Pantene Frizzy to Smooth Conditioner

I use this in Skylar’s hair and it detangles her waist-length hair like nothing else I’ve tried.  No tangles, no crying, no problems.

10. Degree Deodorant (Fine Fragrance Collection, Sexy Intrigue scent)

It works, it doesn’t leave deodorant “build up” (where you have to overly wash your armpits in the shower to get all the residue off), and I like the scent.

Related Posts:

Hair Products I Use: A thorough review of about a dozen tried and true hair products I can’t live without

MAC Makeup

more MAC Makeup

more MAC (yes, I love it)

Body Sprays

More Body Sprays

Whew.

Lots of products.  But I always like discovering new ones!

And from Spicy Baked Black Beans with Vegetables in my last post to Beauty products…

there is no rhyme or reason to what I blog about some days I hope you have a great day!

1. What are your favorite drugstore products, i.e. $5 or less type items?

2. What are some of your daily favorite health & beauty, hair, or personal care products that you just can’t live without?

P.S. Reminder for the 500 Business Cards GiveawayTip for all Bloggers: having cards to pass out and promote your blog with is so helpful.

28 Responses to “Drugstore Top 10”

Alexa @ Simple Eats — September 21, 2011 at 1:39 pm

I find drugstores have some of the best products, too! I love Carmex. Always have, always will. I like that it’s a little shiny, too, so it’s sort of lip-glossy but moisturizes so well!

Jordan @ food, sweat, and beers — September 21, 2011 at 1:53 pm

I just wrote a little post sort of similar to this about my favorite recent products. However, the ones that have been getting the most use lately are a) in shower moisturizer and b) detangling spray. My hair is medusa-esque, so it needs a good taming now and then…

kris (everyday oats) — September 21, 2011 at 1:56 pm

I love everything about palmers cocoa butter!

Heather (Where's the Beach) — September 21, 2011 at 1:56 pm

I have to have lotion and chapstick. I love the Maybelline mascara – cheap but it works.

Mellissa — September 21, 2011 at 2:01 pm

I love Burt’s Bees lip balm, Suave clarifying shampoo that I use once a week, I use Mach 3 Razors for Men ( I think they work better), Pantene hair spray.

Holly @ The Runny Egg — September 21, 2011 at 2:23 pm

I love Suave body wash and shampoo/conditioner. I have the skin of a 13 year old so I use Clean and Clear acne set (kind of like Proactiv but cheaper!) and it really helps. I use the Target brand (Aveeno rip off) face moisturizer/redness reducer lotion.

I tend to get lots of lotion and stuff for gifts, so whatever I have is what I use! B and B Works, Vic Secret, anything goes.

I like Skintimate razors and shave gel — and I like the same TP you do. Actually what I really like are those Cottenelle wet wipes. Seriously.

I’m a Carmex or Burt’s Bees lip balm kind of gal — I prefer Burt but Carmex is usually much cheaper!

Kaitlyn@TheTieDyeFiles — September 21, 2011 at 3:54 pm

I need that floss! My teeth are so difficult to get between. And I’m in the market for new mascara and new lotion, pumped to try these :)

Michaela — September 21, 2011 at 4:16 pm

I always love hearing what others use! And I am in love with drugstores :)
    I certainly could not live without my Burt´s Bees Handsalve, Weleda or Dr Hauschka lipbalm (only natural ones work for me), Provida facial rose cream. I also use Degree, but I will change to a more animal-friendly brand soon. Though I think it´s quite hard to find a brand that works as well as Degree!

Anna @ The Guiltless Life — September 21, 2011 at 4:18 pm

I just did a whole post on this today! And the Maybelline Great Lash mascara and MAC make-up love was definitely in there! Love those!

Lauren — September 21, 2011 at 4:35 pm

I love the Olay toner. And I also buy the Venus because it’s the only razor that has the best results and doesn’t cut up my legs. I’ve learned a little trick though when it comes to saving some money. Those cartridge fills are SUPER expensive. It’s always cheaper for me to buy a new razor (which usually comes with 3 cartridges). That way, I’m avoiding bacteria build up with a brand new razor and saving money on the blades.

katie @ KatieDid — September 21, 2011 at 4:44 pm

hmm I tend to actually switch things up pretty frequently. I love MAC mascara, but cheap ones do fine too! I love tom’s doedorant, which I’ve bought time and time again. As well as Toms toothpaste, I can’t really stand the overly minty/ almost chemically taste of crest etc. anymore since switching over. And I switch up shampoos constantly because I’ve never been so wowed by one to stick with it.

Jess — September 21, 2011 at 4:48 pm

ahh, I do love drugstores :P I love aussie shampoo and it’s where I get most of my “bath and beauty” products! I found this vanilla scented dry oil mist a while ago that smells SO good, too! Though I’ve gotta say, I’m all over Vic. Secret’s “Tease” body mist right now :)

Also – carmex? YES!

Anna @ On Anna's Plate — September 21, 2011 at 4:53 pm

Great last is my favorite too :-) I’m also a HUGE fan of bag balm– it’s meant for cow udders!! You buy a big tin of it, and you can use it on your skin, your lips– anywhere!!

Sarah — September 21, 2011 at 5:39 pm

I love Cocoa Butter! They do an awesome lip balm too that I can’t live without. Plus your kisses smell like chocolate :)

cathy — September 21, 2011 at 6:09 pm

ooo, fun post, averie! just goes to show that expensive doesn’t always mean the best. lots of great finds at the drug store.
    i’m with you on loving mint dental floss and also i detest cheap toilet paper!
    colgate toothpaste is a cheap favourite of mine!

Mai — September 21, 2011 at 7:36 pm

Palmer’s cocoa butter is amazing. My feet are way softer after one application overnight than any other lotion I use!

Bria @ West of Persia — September 21, 2011 at 7:51 pm

Great list! My pick is more than $5, but never again will I be without Benadryl. Needed it recently and vowed to always keeps it in my cabinets in case of emergency. Total lifesaver.

Katie — September 21, 2011 at 7:51 pm

I get all my nail polish from the kids section in the drugstore. And I’m a big Burt’s fan. I bet my collection rivals your Carmax collection in numbers and locations. Although I had TWO tubes run dry today. Sad day, indeed. I also am a huge fan of the Dove body wash and body bars. And their deoderant actually. And their body sprays. Wow, I never realized I am such a Dove fan. Huh.

Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit — September 21, 2011 at 7:52 pm

Glide floss is the best, isn’t it? Gosh, I love that stuff. It’s so smooth and doesn’t squeak in between your teeth. AGH I hate that sound!

Alexis @ hummusapien — September 21, 2011 at 8:40 pm

Mac make up is the BEST. I’m obsessed with studio fix and club eye shadow. can’t live without ‘em.

Christine (The Raw Project) — September 21, 2011 at 9:54 pm

Great list, I am a fan of those razors and hubby would have a fit if I brought home anything but Cottonelle with Aloe. :-)

1. Dr. Pepper flavored lip gloss with a touch of color, Pantene hair gel, and Olay touch of color and age defying foundation with SPF.
    2. Dove moisture shampoo, Target brand face wash with my Clarisonic face brush, hair gel for frizz control, and Chapstick.

Meredith (Reeftraveler) — September 22, 2011 at 5:56 am

Can I sneak in a few drugstore finds that are slightly over $5? Olay Complete SPF 15 face lotion is my favorite everyday moisturizer by a mile. I also love L’Oreal Lineur Intense eyeliner in earthen rock brown and Cover Girl Professional mascara. And in lieu of ridiculously priced eye cream, I love aquaphor (works like a charm). And finally, Burts Bees lip balm is my lip treatment of choice.

Great post Averie!

Alisa Fleming — September 22, 2011 at 8:11 am

Wow, I don’t think I’ve use ANY of these products! I don’t use many drugstore items, but make up for that in the fact that none of the ones I buy are under $5 :)

I love Shikai hair care (got hooked on their detangler, but the shampoo is great too), Maybelline Full n’Soft mascara, CoverGirl tinted moisturizer, and wow … I need more help in the make-up department!

Di — September 22, 2011 at 9:13 am

I am fortunate enough to get salon products at the beauty supply store that licensed cosmetologists get their inventory from. My mother-in-law and father-in-law are both licensed so I have a courtesy card to shop there and get their discounted prices. My faves are Paul Mitchell products especially the Awapuhi shampoo. Great for trips because you can use it on every square inch of your body and that means less toiletries to pack along! I also use Matrix hair products and Hemp body lotion. I use Witch Hazel facial toner from Kmart. A bottle is under $1. I don’t skimp on my skin as I sunburn easily due to daily high blood pressure meds that I take. Because of that I use Eucerine Daily Facial Protectant and Moisurizer (SPF 30). The lashes have been enhanced with L’Oreal lashout for over 20 years now. I just love that stuff obviously!

Amber K — September 22, 2011 at 10:12 am

Thanks for sharing! I actually don’t have any to share myself. I can’t even name the brands of the stuff I use, because I have no idea what brands they are! They are mostly samples or things that looked good at the time. I’m apparently very unloyal!

Emmy — September 24, 2011 at 8:02 am