Labor Day Smoothies

Happy Labor Day!

I hope no one is laboring and you’re getting plenty of R & R time in.

Maybe a little magazine reading

Maybe reading about yoga

Or actually unrolling the ole mat and doing some yoga

I downward dogged and inverted from the comforts of an at-home practice The best kind of practice for me.  Free and I don’t have to go anywhere!

Whatever you’re up to today, I hope it doesn’t involve working too hard.

I recently received these samples of Vega’s Complete Whole Food Health Optimizer

The optimizers are 100% plant-based, gluten-free, soy-free and dairy free, contain probiotics, and 26g of protein.

According to their site, one single serving guarantees 100% of your RDA of vitamins and minerals and 60% daily intake of fiber.

In terms of taste, between the natural, chocolate, and vanilla chai, even though I am totally a chocolate lover, I actually found the chocolate a not quite chocolatey enough for my personal tastebuds and liked the vanilla chai better.

I’ve also reviewed these in the past and the berry flavor is really tasty, too

Vega encourages everyone to check out their Online Nutrition Calculator so see how your typical breakfast stacks up against their products.

Vega is offering a $5 off Vega Coupon on their Facebook page until December 31, 2011 and they also have a contest on their Facebook page going on, too.

So after all that smoothie talk, are you ready for one?

May I suggest:

Peach Banana Colada Smoothie

Vanilla Avocado Banana Smoothie In a Bowl

Sweet, creamy, thick, rich.  Decadent.  If plants can be decadent, this is how.

Or like this

If you’re not on a beach vacation this Labor Day, just pretend you are

And try the Taste of the Tropics Smoothie

More Smoothie Recipes Here

Thanks for the great comment on my last post, 5-4-3-2-1

I really loved reading your answers about what you come to expectLoved those!  Thanks!

1. Have you ever tried any smoothie optimizers, “helpers”, ad-in’s, or Vega products?  Thoughts?

As I’ve mentioned previously, I am generally not a huge fan of adding powders, “optimizers”, or additional specialty items to my smoothies.

I like to keep things simple, easy, and who am I kidding, all this stuff does get pricey.

That said, every now and then they are fun to add in and offer a nice change of pace and the additional nutrition profile as “insurance” can be nice if you feel you need it.

2. What are you doing to celebrate Labor Day and if you’re not celebrating it, I’d still like to hear what you’re up to?

I would like to get to the park with Skylar and spend some time there just being together.  Nothing fancy, just being with each other.

No pool parties, bbq’s, get-togethers at friends houses for us today so we’re just keeping it mellow and low key and avoiding being on the roads since traffic is usually pretty crap-tastic through San Diego on holidays.  Everyone from Northern CA, Los Angeles, and other areas who decides to drive down to Mexico for the weekend or come down to San Diego for the weekend is on the roads.  Or at the beaches.  So I’ll stay off them and stay close to home and low key.

P.S. Don’t forget to enter the No More Pests Giveaway

32 Responses to “Labor Day Smoothies”

jamie @ cueyourlife — September 5, 2011 at 12:14 pm

Loving the blog! I dove into both of those magazines myself this weekend! Love it! Thanks for the smoothie ideas…can’t wait to try!

Christine (The Raw Project) — September 5, 2011 at 12:20 pm

Agreed on at home workouts, I got a yoga gift certificate for Christmas that I still haven’t used because finding time to get to a class is not easy.

Interesting on the Vega products, agreed on the chocolate, berry is my current favorite flavor. I need to try vanilla chai next.

1. Yes, currenty using the berry Whole Food Optimizer while training for a half marathon. For me they’re very beneficial when I’m running myself into the ground with training, work, and stress in general being a complete nutrition package. But too pricey to have on a regular basis.
    2. Relaxing at home catching up on projects, not too exciting. But we did have an exciting hike yesterday in Tahoe.

Bethany I. — September 5, 2011 at 12:23 pm

As soon as I saw the Yoga Journal magazine I went to their website to check it out! I’m considering getting my 200hr certificaiton for Yoga along with my major in Health and P.E. so I can teach children yoga poses they can do to relax themselves at home or at school.

I’m so sad that summer is almost over because I love smoothies for breakfast especially when I am in a hurry in the morning. I can always bring it with me. However, I don’t really add that much protein powder and stuff to my smoothies because I like the taste of the fruit on it’s own (and I like my wallet to have something in it), but I know when I go out of town a good protein powder is a great way to get my veggies, fiber, protein, etc. if I know I won’t have access like I would love to have. My fave protein powder I have finally found is the Vega Shake and Go! I love the Berry kind, but my mom convinced me to get a packet of the tropical one to try. I hope it tastes just as good!

Jess @ Keeping It Real Food — September 5, 2011 at 12:29 pm

I like vega except for the fact that it’s so expensive. Occasionally I add some whey protein powder to smoothies, but it’s just the Whole Foods store brand. Individual packets and samples come in handy for traveling, though—I’ve been known to add them to oatmeal.

I’m not doing much to celebrate Labor Day besides get a jump on some work and breaking in the heels I’m wearing to a wedding next weekend. I’ll be back in night classes this coming week, so I’m just enjoying the downtime.

Tracy @ Commit to Fit — September 5, 2011 at 12:41 pm

This post has me really itching for a smoothie now. Sounds like the perfect dessert food to me :)

cathy — September 5, 2011 at 12:45 pm

glad you have the day off, averie! enjoy the downtime – maybe you can catch up on some tv shows??? real housewives??!
    i yoga’d this morning. i had a free pass to moksha yoga – sadly, it did not feel all that yoga-ish, but more like a 60 minute stretching class. we did no sun salutations!! what’s with that!?!?
    now i’m coffee shopping and i will be watching rh of new york later today! no labouring…did the chores yesterday!

Jemma @ Celery and Cupcakes — September 5, 2011 at 12:49 pm

Looks like you are having a great labour day. I love adding super foods to my smoothies like acai berry juice, maca powder, lucuma powder and mesquite for that extra zing. :)

Keelie (SweatEqualsSuccess) — September 5, 2011 at 12:58 pm

I’ll be doing the Vega Breakfast challenge this month as well- I’m excited to try their products!

Today is a homework day, and since my homework is journaling about the previous week’s Acting, Movement, Voice, Speech and Kinetics classes, today is also a self-reflection day.

And HOPEFULLY a home-yoga-practice day. Namaste! :)

Brooke — September 5, 2011 at 1:12 pm

Celebrating in Hilton Head Island SC…

Don’t be jealous :)

Brooke

Maryea {Happy Healthy Mama} — September 5, 2011 at 1:39 pm

Today the whole family is still in their PJs and it’s almost dinner time here. I love it!

Ali @ Urbanfruitbat — September 5, 2011 at 1:53 pm

I am for sure with you on keeping things simple. I am actually much more of a juice girl than a smoothie girl, however, I did go through my smoothie phase! I used to have the vega optimizer in the berry flavor EVERY DAY when I worked at a health food store that gave it to me for free! I really liked the taste too! Now I am all about the green juice! (spinach, apple, ginger, celery, cucumber and lemon, so so good). As for the day off, My Love and I are doing a little road trip! Should be fun!

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — September 5th, 2011 at 6:31 pm

your previous comment from earlier, cant remember which one, where you said spending time with the fam damn. Oh, I totally LOL’ed over it :)

And if you have any tips for Juicer cleanup, would love em

washing the produce, actually juicing it, then cleaning it all up and putting it away is about a 20-25 min production for me! for 1 glass of juice b/c making juice in batches or making ahead is fairly ill-advised as you know…the time it takes prevents me from juicing…

• Ali @ Urbanfruitbat replied: — September 5th, 2011 at 7:16 pm

Haha, I totally understand! I have a champion juicer, so most of the time, I just rinse, and then put it in the dish washer! We use ours so often, sometimes we just give it a really good rinse after juicing.

Jill — September 5, 2011 at 1:58 pm

I get to meet Brendan Brazier tomorrow(creator of Vega)! He is coming to speak at a WF here. I am pumped and love that he is a proud Canadian much like myself :P

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — September 5th, 2011 at 6:32 pm

I almost met him when we were living in Phoenix for 9 mos. He was on a speaking tour and was going to be at a Whole Foods but Skylar was still a small child and napping and with rush hour traffic and a tired baby…I opted to skip the trek to go see him. Darn!

Erica — September 5, 2011 at 2:12 pm

I haven’t tried the vega products but I’m definitely intrigued! Your smoothie looks so yummy. No laboring here! Just taking care of the babe, went for a run and did some errands/housework! ….well I don’t consider that laboring haha

Alexa @ Simple Eats — September 5, 2011 at 2:29 pm

I’ve never had Vega products, but I’ve seen them popping up all over the blog world. I usually just add a scoop of protein powder to my smoothies so they have more staying power!

Sweet and Savvy — September 5, 2011 at 2:37 pm

I’ve never tried products like Vega, but I have heard great things. I think as long as they aren’t overused, they’re fine to add in for some extra protein if you need it. I know, personally, I am NEVER full if I don’t eat very much protein.

Heather (Where's the Beach) — September 5, 2011 at 2:54 pm

I’ve tried the Vega and hate to say that I wasn’t super happy with the flavor. It was the chai vanilla. I don’t do many smoothies to be honest, but when I make them, I typically add in a protein powder.

Amber K — September 5, 2011 at 3:08 pm

I have tried Amazing Grass in a smoothie, but I tried having it mixed with just water once and I couldn’t stand it. I definitely need to hide that stuff within something yummier.

Recovering from partying all into the night last night – that’s my only goal for today! Much hydration is needed!

Elizabeth — September 5, 2011 at 4:07 pm

1. I like Boku organic brown rice protein powder. It’s vegan and gluten-free! I try not to overuse it, but every so often I like to have a post-workout protein smoothie.
    2. I’ve spent this weekend preparing to jet off to Northampton, MA to begin my sophomore year of college tomorrow morning! There is LOTS of packing going on. =)

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — September 5, 2011 at 4:26 pm

I tried the chocolate vega stuff but found it to taste more like berries than chocolate! I didn’t like it. I want to try the chai flavour and see if that is better.

Bria @ West of Persia — September 5, 2011 at 4:47 pm

I’m with you on the smoothie optimizers. Good to have every now and then but pricey.

I biked all over the city today, took a Yoga class, got a garment rack from someone off of CL (and assembled it), and made peach butter (and blogged about it) + then made dinner. Busy day! But a fun day. Hope you got to hang out with the fam.

blossjoss — September 5, 2011 at 4:56 pm

I haven’t tried smoothie optimizers, but I would like to. I do use protein powder though, if that counts.

Today I did a Jillian Michaels DVD (good), did some reading for fun and work, had fam over for a BBQ, took the dogs for a walk. Might watch a movie later. Fam is kinda crazy, but all in all, good day.

julie — September 5, 2011 at 5:36 pm

i’m a total vanilla lover haha thats why i never buy chocolate protein powder althououuugh i have been craving chocolate a lot lately hmm. haha but thats when my hersheys super dark blend comes in handy dandy.

i didn’t do much for labor day! spent a lot of the day in the kitchen cooking fun stuff for the week :) the start of fall always makes me want to be a beast in the kitchen haha

Claudine @ The Kathmanduo — September 5, 2011 at 11:33 pm

Hi Averie. New fan here. I added your avocado banana ice cream to my Pinterest board, Viva la Vegan, because the photo is so lovely. Of course, I’m sure it also tastes divine. Can’t wait to try it!

dragonmamma/naomi — September 6, 2011 at 4:39 am

Don’t do add-ins unless they’re free samples. I’ll just have to “settle” for real food. Yesterday’s smoothie was made from pineapple, banana, and almond milk.
    It was so cold! The sun didn’t come out until two in the afternoon. We had a very untraditional dinner of corned beef and cabbage; needed something to warm us up!

Kaitlyn@TheTieDyeFiles — September 6, 2011 at 11:44 am

I’ve been meaning to buy Vega every time I go toWF but I keep forgetting! Thanks for the coupon heads up. I made green smoothies this weekend…and got my boyfriend to drink one too!

The Delicate Place — September 11, 2011 at 7:26 am

i actually love the vega whole food optimizers. i used to use hemp but found that i had to really add a ton of artificial sweetener to get rid of the earthy grit and since stevia and i broke up i only have some fake sweetener when i use these smoothie packs from time to time which these days is only a couple xs monthly (it’s expensive!)