Power Is Back

The power is back on!

Thanks to everyone for your comments, tweets, Instagram, and FB messages

After my post-by-iPhone last night

Many of you shared your power-less stories and it was comforting to read them while I was charging my phone in the car with Skylar in the backseat.

Scott was in L.A. (didn’t blog about that part) and so I was holding down the fort, alone.

Traffic looked like this for about 300 miles.  Total gridlock.

And there were fire trucks, rescue vehicles, and ambulances everywhere.

Oh, the sirens.  All night.

I live near one of the largest hospitals in San Diego County and the hospital had backup generators going but I saw doctors in their white coats walking the streets and sidewalks last night, as I was, begging the (closed) grocery stores (but who had employees standing in front of the stores) to give them ice, but struck out.

It was scary, eerie, surreal.

We dined by flashlight

On some random veggies and fruit I had

And I was grateful that I always keep a well stocked freezer.

Of desserts, that is.

Raw Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Balls came in very handy

So after I put my personal shopper dancing sidekick to bed

I said a few prayers that Scott would make it home safely

I grabbed a Tootsie Pop

Not banana-flavored

And read the latest issue of YJ…

…by flash and candlelight

I went to bed praying the power would come on overnight, and it did.

There is no real word why almost 2 million people were without power in San Diego County, southern Orange County, Imperial County, and Northern Mexico & Tijuana, but this article cites “Operator error in Arizona”.  <–I wonder if he’ll still have a job next week?

1. Some lessons I learned and was reminded of again the past 24 hours:

Keep gasoline in your car.  Don’t run your car down to 1/4 tank thinking you can always get gas later.  Maybe not.  Having gas in my car allowed me to run the A/C and cool off from the 92F heat in short doses as well as charge my phone.

If you don’t have a cell phone, get one for emergencies.  It was my lifeline.  Cell phones don’t always work in emergencies but not having a phone would have made an already bad situation much worse.

Stay calm.  Don’t panic.

Don’t drive if you don’t have to.

Don’t open the refrigerator/freezer doors once you realize the power is off.  Keeping them closed will prolong the life of the food that’s in them by trapping the cold air in.

We live in a world based on electricity and power.  Not having hot water, a microwave, fridge/freezer, A/C, our computers, internet service that runs on your computer, fans, or any other modern convenience was a reminder of just how dependent we are on power and how life can change big time without it.  All kinds of horrible thoughts come into my mind of natural disasters, memories of 9/11, the San Diego fires of 2007, snowstorms from my childhood, acts of terrorism, and memories of news-footage-type-stories that show people in hard times and there’s never any power.  Not having power shuts our world down in an instant.  People panic, there is crime and looting, the sick and elderly can’t get ready access to medial attention, and it just adds such a dimension of chaos.

I am reminded that I am not in control of everything.  That none of us are and that we are at the mercy of the world around us, Mother Nature, and the powers that be.

Once again, it reminds me to be grateful for what I have in life:

Grateful

Firecracker & Gratitude

Being Grateful & Thankful

I am grateful for my health, my child, food, clean & running water.  And power!

Have you lived through any kind of natural disaster, being without power, or harrowing experience?  How did you feel?  What did you learn from it?

TGIF!

Now if you’ll excuse me while I clear out the 250+ emails since yesterday afternoon I have in my inbox..

34 Responses to “Power Is Back”

Victoria @ The Pursuit of Hippieness — September 9, 2011 at 9:50 am

I like how you mentioned 9/11… all these natural disasters lately keep reminding me of the worry associated with the event, especially with the anniversary this weekend. When the “earthquake” hit NYC a couple weeks ago, people ran outside screaming, and even I thought the worst when I first felt the shaking. Especially this week security has been been at an all time high in the city, and the chaos isn’t helped by all the flooding that’s going on around here. But in spite of everything it actually makes me happy that even 10 years later, it’s still at the forefront of people’s minds. And I’ve found that since that day in 2001 people come together in the face of disaster in a stronger way than ever, which is just so inspiring.

Jackie @ That Deep Breath — September 9, 2011 at 9:51 am

Not having power is the most annoying thing in the world. Glad it came back on overnight! Sounds like it was chaos

Jennifer@knackfornutrition — September 9, 2011 at 9:58 am

Being without power is scary enough with your family around, but without your husband by your side I can only imagine how scary it really was. All of these freak things are really starting to get to me. I’ve been in 4 (!) nautral disasters this year and I have had enough. I hope things get back to normal soon!

katie @ KatieDid — September 9, 2011 at 10:00 am

The views of the streets are terrifying. I can’t believe the chaos that breaks out instantly! I’m glad to hear you were okay and stayed safe and it looks like you were able to make the best of it and even get a bit of calm in amidst the chaos.

Brooke — September 9, 2011 at 10:08 am

WHEW! Never realize how much you rely on something until it’s gone!

Brooke

Casse — September 9, 2011 at 10:10 am

Always love your posts and insights. It was a scary evening!! So glad to be back to normal today, but alot was definately learned :)

Lauren — September 9, 2011 at 10:10 am

Yay for the power!!! :)

Holly @ The Runny Egg — September 9, 2011 at 10:29 am

Those are good reminders Averie — seriously I have never had the power off for long and hopefully it never happens, but it is always good to be at least somewhat prepared. I’m glad the power is back!

That is (for lack of a better word) scary about the doctors going around asking for ice — I don’t really know how I would feel if I saw that!

reid — September 9, 2011 at 10:32 am

I’m so glad you are all okay. I heard about the outage on the radio this morning and the first thing I thought was “oh no that’s where Averie lives!”

I have several scary experiences about being trapped in strange situations but my favorite is the one where I got chased by a bear in Pennsylvanian farm country. My friends and I thought we were done for. I think there was a cub nearby! We were okay, just exhausted.

Kaitlyn@TheTieDyeFiles — September 9, 2011 at 10:38 am

I’m glad your power is back and everyone is safe and sound. It really is amazing how much we depend on power. I can’t imagine being without it for more than a couple hours! Food spoils, hot water runs out, no heat in the winter. I can’t imagine how hospitals deal with outages, with so many people whose LIVES are dependent on electricity.

Rachel @ The Avid Appetite — September 9, 2011 at 11:05 am

We were recently hit by the hurricane a couple of weeks ago and it was a major wake up call as to how unprepared I was for an emergency! I am working to fix that!

Meredith (Reeftraveler) — September 9, 2011 at 11:18 am

This situation must have been unsettling Averie. I’m glad you made it through OK. I live in an area that has frequent power outages, so we’ve learned to be prepared. Most recently we had a two day outage due to Hurricane Irene. We always have the following on hand: two flashlights (one for each of us), unscented candles (DH is allergic to scented candles), lighter, a case of bottled water and perhaps the most helpful item is this emergency weather radio from LL Bean http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/62136?feat=2-SR0 The radio is powered by solar or handcranking, and it was tremendously useful after Hurricane Irene. I think everyone should have one on hand. They have three or four styles of emergency radios (even a pink one).

Paige @ Running Around Normal — September 9, 2011 at 11:39 am

Yay for power!!
    And yah…I bet the operator who error-ed is jobless today!!

Anna @ The Guiltless Life — September 9, 2011 at 11:51 am

LOVE me some Yoga Journal! Haha as for the natural disasters question, well, I just told you I was from the Cayman Islands so need we say more…hurricanes and tropical storms galore! The worst was probably Hurricane Ivan but I had just gone back to Vancouver for the start of my college semester. My parents were still there though and we had JUST finished building our house that summer and then it got ruined less than one month later :(. But life throws stuff at ya, you just gotta deal! Glad you made it through the power outage okay :)

Kristin @ STUFT Mama — September 9, 2011 at 12:07 pm

Averie- It was weird last night wasn’t it? So thankful for the power back on today and yes, it totally put things into perspective. :) Impressice that you psoted from your iphone. We just decided it was a good excuse to have a few drinks. :) Happy Friday!

Kathryn — September 9, 2011 at 12:19 pm

I’m glad you’ve got power again now – I can’t believe how many people were cut off!

Sabina — September 9, 2011 at 12:34 pm

i’m glad you and Skylar are OK, Averie! Being without power for an undetermined time is, scary. If you’re not prepared, it’s even scarier.

This happened to me during the eastern seaboard blackout in August 2003. My home was without power for just over 48 hours. I was able to stay at my parents’ place; they had power within 12 hours or so. It was similar in my city – gridlock! Luckily, my drive was 90% on the highway and then I knew which side streets to take to avoid streets with traffic signals. There was an eerie calm over the city at night and a pure black sky (this never happens; there’s always a glow over the city at night).

xo

charlotte — September 9, 2011 at 12:58 pm

I love your lessons on preparedness – maybe I’m outing myself as a huge geek (not like you didn’t already know!) but I am big on being prepared. Our society is very strong but individual links, like the power supply, are very vulnerable.

dragonmamma/naomi — September 9, 2011 at 1:13 pm

We used to live in a house that was on a grid that lost power (not quite 24 hours) about 4 times a year. I don’t get scared, I just get pissed about good food going bad.
    I’m sort of a food hoarder; we could easily live on our supply of non-refrigerated drinks and food for a couple of weeks.

Di — September 9, 2011 at 1:53 pm

Good to hear the power has been restored. Smart girl for utilizing your car in that situation!

Jt Clough | Big Island Dog — September 9, 2011 at 1:58 pm

Thanks for the “keep your car full of gas”. What a great tip. I let it run down a lot and in a situation like this…. not good.

Being here on the Big Island in the middle of the Pacific surrounded by water I was reading all the posts and updates of my friends by in San Diego which was my home for quite some time. It made me think of how unprepared I was there and how unprepared I am here.

Many people here are prepared. The local websites all have hurricane and tsunami disaster plans on them. Time for me to get on it and get prepared.

One thing I’ve thought of on the cell phone deal… get a solar charger. It will only stay charged for so long if the power were to be out for much longer than a day or so. Especially with everyone worried and calling to see if you are okay from around the country or world!

Another great post. Thanks!

Aloha Wags!

cathy — September 9, 2011 at 2:47 pm

oh, that’s great news, averie. and kudos on holding down the fort on your own. not easy when chaos is reigning.
    hope you can relax and enjoy your weekend!
    thankfully, i have never had to endure any hardships or disasters. my heart goes out to those who have.

Kim — September 9, 2011 at 3:57 pm

So glad you have power back!
    Ive often thought how reliant we are on it, and it scares me!!

Jess — September 9, 2011 at 4:19 pm

So glad your power came back on over night! There’s nothing better than waking up to that noise after you’ve been without it all night, haha. Every time I go powerless I realize how sad it is that I am SO dependent on electricity! -sigh.-

When i heard on the news this morning that it was operator error, i was baffled. You would think shutting off power to such a huge location would not be an easy feat…

Colleen — September 9, 2011 at 6:27 pm

Living in the suburbs 45 minutes outside Philadelphia, we were hit with tropical storm-like conditions from Hurricane Irene. The night it hit (Saturday) was the possibly the worst night of my life! We lost power at 10:45 and the A/C wasn’t on to vaguely block out the fearful noise of the storm. We were out of power for 5 days (went to a hotel the last 2). We lose power way too easily :/

Ilana — September 9, 2011 at 6:31 pm

so glad you got the power back and everything is okay. obviously you handled the sitch like a champ.
    last year I almost got in the way of a tornado that felt like touching down in Queens and I kind of froze. it was really eye opening to me, that I didn’t know how to react in case of a disaster. so strange you’re writing about this, i was just thinking about that the other day.

chelsea — September 9, 2011 at 7:10 pm

Being powerless is horrible when you don’t have a generator. Thankfully after hurricane Ike nearly everyone in Texas keeps one ha :) We were powerless here for a week+ some powerless for two weeks. It was horrible. Trees down everywhere, roads blocked, areas flooded.

Natural disasters are horrible :( A good thing though? It brings everyone together to help each other out. Like my father was walking around the street with neighbors clearing the leaves in front of gutters so the water could flow again. Sometimes positive things come from really horrible events.

Paula — September 9, 2011 at 8:13 pm

raw almonds

Paula — September 9, 2011 at 8:18 pm

oops! posted fav snack in wrong place

Ali @ Urbanfruitbat — September 9, 2011 at 9:39 pm

So scary Averie! I am so glad to hear that all has been restored. I am also so glad that nothing happened to you and your little one.

Blair — September 9, 2011 at 10:11 pm

I definitely agree with having more than a quarter tank of gas at all times! My gas light came on as I was driving home from work and I wasn’t too concerned because I didn’t know the magnitude of the outage at that point. I had to weigh the options of staying at my house alone in the heat or going to a friends house 10 miles away and risk not knowing if I’d have enough gas to get back home if the power didn’t come back on in time. Luckily I made it home fine, but I was worried I was going to end up on the side of the road! Two of my friends left their cars on the side of the road and had to have someone pick them up because they didn’t have enough gas to make it home with all of the traffic.

Christine (The Raw Project) — September 10, 2011 at 8:21 am

Hehe, you’re iPhone is too clean – only on page of apps! I have 6 pages and many are folders of apps! :-p

That’s just crazy about the power, what a fluke!

1. Yes, more hurricanes than I care to remember while living in Florida – roof damage, days without power, no gas, empty grocery stores, road insantity with out traffic lights, debris everywhere – awful times I don’t miss and a not-so-fun benefit of living on the beach on the east coast. We were lucky to live on the main power grid, so power outages never lasted more that a few days. But some more rural areas were without for weeks while all the mics. lines were repaired. I learned to be thankful to power and never to take being able to buy gas and groceries anytime for granted.

Amber K — September 10, 2011 at 10:03 am

I actually haven’t lived through anything major, so sometimes these things don’t feel “real” to me. Exactly why I have started to create an emergency plan because I don’t want to be completely unprepared.

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — September 11, 2011 at 9:41 am

Holy crap girl – you get A LOT of emails! How do you find the time for all of those!!??