Saturday

I hope you’re having a great Saturday.

Time to play a spelling game.

S-A-T-U-R-D-A-Y

S: I enjoyed the sunshine and sunflowers today

A: Apple Crumble (Vegan, GF, No Bake)

Need to make this again now that apple season is upon us.  I like it just as much, if not more than baked, traditional crumbles.

And I really, really love crumbles and crisps.  Well, okay, I love oats + brown sugar + cinnamon + fruit.  <–can’t go wrong

T: Time with my family is what weekends are all about

I was going through my picture stash and found this one and thought back to the day it was taken.  It’s one of the last pictures we took together in our old house

U: Usually I’d say I prefer sweet over savory foods

R: Raw Vegan Almond Butter Cookies are no exception to that preference.  And yes, sweet will always, not usually, trump savory for me.

But these aren’t ridiculously sweet and they make great portable little on-the-go snacks.

They’re more snack bite/snack ball than they are “cookie”.  Which I guess is a good thing, depending on how you look at it.

D: Daylight is fading faster now that fall is here

Not a fan of shorter days

A: Always a fan of Chocolate + Peanut Butter

Special K Bars are no-bake, easy, and combine my two favorite food groups: Chocolate + Peanut Butter

The recipe is from my Grandma’s recipe stash and makes me think of my childhood

Y: Yay for weekends!

What have you done on your Saturday?

I’m off to make a homemade Pumpkin Spice Latte because weekends call for extra coffee…

I hope you enjoy the second half of your weekend!

31 Responses to “Saturday”

cathy — September 17, 2011 at 4:02 pm

what an awesome list, averie! and i have to laugh because i was brainstorming blog ideas today and came up with the same concept, except i was going to use SEPTEMBER as my word!
    crumbles – LOVE. brown sugar+cinnamon+oats is SO GOOD!!! i’m also not a fan of the days getting shorter…and colder. time with family IS the best – i loved seeing my nieces this week.
    today i worked, went for a tan (!) and now i’m going to watch this week’s jersey shore!
    have a great evening!

VeggieGirl — September 17, 2011 at 4:21 pm

My Saturday = pilates, meeting up with an old friend, dance practice for 2 hours, errands, party tonight.

MegSmith @ Cooking.In.College — September 17, 2011 at 5:00 pm

I am looking at your recipe for pumpkin bread tofu and am totally making it tomorrow!!!

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — September 17th, 2011 at 5:38 pm

Ok get your tofu pressed right now then. You need to press the water out of it, between two cookie sheets or anything heavy. Press it for an hour or so, drain the water. THEN put it into the freezer in the plastic tray it came in. Let it freeze solid (overnight). Then thaw it tomorrow & cook as directed.

The freezing/thawing is what will give it BREAD texture. If you dont do that, the recipe is still great, just not spongey like “bread”.. will just be like regular tofu which is still fine!

• MegSmith @ Cooking.In.College replied: — September 17th, 2011 at 5:42 pm

Ah thank you! I am running to the store to get the necessary ingredients right now :-)

I have never made tofu like this and I can’t wait. Pressed and into the freezer it shall go tonight.

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — September 17th, 2011 at 5:44 pm

keep me posted on how it turns out

the freezing is key..something about the water/molecular changes with freezing/thawing/baking make it bread-like and really spongey!

Terra — September 17, 2011 at 5:08 pm

You are so cute! Love the idea of a no-bake apple crisp, one of my favorite desserts! :-) Today was spent baking at the restaurant, I love my job:-) Happy Saturday! Hugs, Terra

Michaela — September 17, 2011 at 5:28 pm

seems like you had a great saturday :)
    I was working out, meeting up with friends, going out for sushi and, unforunately, also powerpoint was involved in my saturday!

katie @ KatieDid — September 17, 2011 at 5:55 pm

I spent my whole day at a big fall festival with a bunch of friends. It was perfect fall temperatures and there was so much to do at the fair. It was a day I’ll always remember :) Especially with all the pics I took- I think I was looking through the view finder more than I wasn’t haha!

Naomi(onefitfoodie) — September 17, 2011 at 6:10 pm

i would KILL for a special K bar right now lol! hope you are having a great weekend, Averie! enjoy the beautiful weather and your little girl!!

Get Skinny, Go Vegan. — September 17, 2011 at 6:23 pm

What a beautiful Saturday! Flowers are beautiful! Here it is getting a little cold & gloomy. And started the day very early looking for puppies, but had no luck! We feed the puppies in East St. Louis, and there was a mama dog who should have 4 week old puppies by now, but we don’t know where they are-half the city is abandoned homes that are totally caved in……so gloomy morning!! A bit! But cooking up some vegan indian slow cooker food tonight & hope to sleep in tomorrow!

Haley @ Fit, Young, and Fabulous — September 17, 2011 at 7:06 pm

I can’t wait to try the raw vegan cookies! They look delish!(:

pam searles — September 17, 2011 at 7:40 pm

i’m enjoying your blog. it’s very inspirational to my diet efforts and yoga practice. do you live in san diego area? i live in escondido, and i take a power yoga class at the escondido y on tuesday mornings. the instructor is stephanie, and she kicks my butt. feels so good. power yoga is the best.

Sweet and Savvy — September 17, 2011 at 8:35 pm

Love this post! :) looks like you’ve had a great Saturday!

I spend the first half of my day at my brother’s cross country meet , then went to a friend’s wedding! Definitely a successful Saturday for me!

Christine (The Raw Project) — September 17, 2011 at 10:54 pm

Cute post, love the pics! Today was tough emptying and sorting through my grandma’s apartment. But it was also nice spending time with family.

Claire @ Un Bello Aperitivo — September 17, 2011 at 11:49 pm

I’m excited to make apple crumble! Yesterday I actually went to a chocolate outlet. It had a bunch of fancy-pants chocolate, and so. many. samples. Heaven!

The Delicate Place — September 18, 2011 at 7:30 am

i grocery shopped, kickboxed, went out for a meal of mussels & wine. came home and ate tart frozen yogurt with really good dark chocolate & watched a movie. i was in bed by midnight…getting older never felt so good. today is more task oriented but i have to get the most done today since my mondays/fridays are 10 hour days!

vegirl — September 18, 2011 at 7:32 am

Can we add a “w” to Saturday? I worked, worked, worked! Also went to the farmers market :)

Aimee — September 18, 2011 at 8:49 am

Oooh, such pretty images! Looks like fall is in the air. We didn’t do anything, hubby was sick, so it was a stay in and snuggle up day.

I need to try that pumpkin spice latte! :)

Amber K — September 18, 2011 at 9:41 am

The picture of sunshine and sunflowers made my day. How beautiful!! Had a great time at the VegFest and I even got to meet Sarah aka Mama Pea. So cool!

Heather (Where's the Beach) — September 18, 2011 at 3:46 pm

Oh I really love this! I definitely think the T should be time with family and friends (we need a T in every single day).

The Healthy Apple — September 18, 2011 at 4:12 pm

Your blog is amazing…I’ve come across a few of your recipes and loved them! You are gorgeous…such a great picture of you and love those palm trees…wish we had those here in Manhattan! Those Almond Butter Cookies and Special K Bars look UNREAL!!!
    Love it.
    Hope you had a great weekend!

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — September 22, 2011 at 4:29 pm

That ooey gooey stuff on the bottom of your Special K bars always looks sooooo good! I can’t wait until I get a chance to make those.