Spicy Baked Black Beans with Vegetables

It’s not as fun for me to talk about beans as it for me to talk about other things.  Like… desserts!

However, man cannot live on desserts alone.

But woman can!

All joking aside, every now and then we take a break from chocolate and eat something else.  I know, shocking, but true.

Everything in moderation.  From chocolate to beans.

Easy meals or hearty side dishes that happen to be vegan and gluten free and that pass muster with husbands and kids are a beautiful thing.

With  a fresh green salad, rice or potatoes on the side, and some fruit, I call that a success story.

I also call it easy.

I am a fan of anything that is a one-pan meal <– check that post for ideas (all are 30 minutes or less and one pot)

And recipes get a gold star beside their name if they make planned leftovers

Cook once, eat twice are words I live by

Reheating and the microwave are God’s greatest gifts to working moms on busy weeknights

And although Scott doesn’t really “like beans”, he tolerates them

As long as there’s dessert

[print_this]

Spicy Baked Black Beans with Vegetables (Vegan, Gluten Free)

1 large can black beans (I used a 21.5 oz can of Bush’s Fiesta Beans which is about 2 c; or make your own beans and use those)

2 c vegetables, diced (I used about 1 c frozen artichoke hearts from TJ’s,  1/4 c diced carrots, 1/3 c broccoli, 1/3 c Brussels sprouts quartered, 1/4 c canned corn)

1 Tbsp Chipotle Seasoning (I used Mrs. Dash Chipotle)

1/2 c water

Optional spicy/heat seasonings, to taste: cayenne, chili powder, red pepper flakes, black pepper (Add as much spice and heat as you like)

Optional seasonings/flavorings: salt, cumin, garlic, nutritional yeast, ground mustard seeds

Optional liquid seasonings: Worcestershire Sauce, dash; and/or Blackstrap Molasses, 1-2 tsp, Maple Syrup 1-2 tbsp

Directions:

Add the beans to a foil lined 9 x 9 pan (or similar).  Add the vegetables over the top and then add the water.  Sprinkle the seasonings of your choice over the top and bake at 350F for 40-45 minutes or until the water has mostly reduced and the vegetables look roasted and done.  Add more water during the cooking process if the vegetables are looking too dry.

[/print_this]

Meals like this aren’t rocket science.  None of the ones I make ever are.

It used things I already had on hand from the beans, to the frozen veggies, to the fresh veggies in the bottom of the refrigerator drawer that needed to be used up.

After a little doctoring up, and baking, we dug in.

I loved the artichoke hearts and Brussels sprouts in this.  They gave a nice texture and some chew to the dish rather than just plain ‘ole beans.  Plus I like to add veggies to everything.  I’m not a ‘Sneaky Chef’ with adding veggies; I’m pretty overt.

The blackstrap molasses, if you’re using it, gives a really rich flavor to the food and gives that traditional “baked beans” flavor without having to actually bake the beans for hours which is the case with most traditional baked beans recipes.

I wanted these beans more spicy than typical baked beans and the seasonings I used did the trick.

One pan, and 45 minutes later, from start to finish and dinner was served.

And I only had 1 little pan to wash and because I lined it with foil, there was virtually no cleanup!

I put the leftovers into a Tupperware and we had them for lunch the next day.  Loved it.

Related recipes you may enjoy:

Cheezy Vegetable Bake

Salsa & Cheezy Baked Beans & Vegetables

Vegan Sloppy “Bean & Lentil” Joes

1. What are your go-to easy meals for busy school nights, work nights, weeknights?

Now that the weather is cooling off, I feel like firing up my oven and roasting some things again.

Who knows, I may even make some soup or (vegan) chili.   Anything that I can get a couple meals out of, i.e. planned leftovers, I am a fan of

Normally though, everything we eat is based on fresh produce and lots of plants:

a big salad with lots of raw or lightly steamed veggies (whatever is in season, on sale, and on hand)

side of bread/pasta/rice/quinoa

maybe some fruit

some edamame or tofu

And that’s that.  Not complicated.

You will never see me making something too tricky for dinner.  Or, okay, ever.

The shorter the required ingredients, the better!  I just cannot deal with complicated meal prep after a long day.   I’m tired, Skylar’s hungry and so am I, Scott’s en route home, and the quicker I can get dinner on the table, the better.

2. Do you like beans?  Favorite way to eat or make them?

Scott’s not really a huge fan but he eats them.  Or starves.

Not really, but ya know.   After over a decade of me doing the cooking and him doing the eating-of-what-is-served, he’s come around to everything from beans to Brussels’s  sprouts to quinoa to beets.  Yes, my meat and potatoes guy from Chicago eats lots of plants.  And beans.  And I actually think he likes them but just doesn’t want to quite admit it.

I like beans but my gut tolerates edamame much better.

Beans, beans, the magical fruit, the more you eat, the more you…

We’ve all been there with beans, right?

P.S. Reminder for the 500 Business Cards GiveawayTip for all Bloggers: having cards to pass out and promote your blog with is so helpful.  You can help people remember your blog name and details with business cards.

73 Responses to “Spicy Baked Black Beans with Vegetables”

Kathryn — September 21, 2011 at 1:53 am

I try to sneak as many vegetarian meals past my boyfriend and this looks like a great meal for the week when time seems to be against us. I’ve never seen blackstrap molasses here but I’ll have to look out for it because it sounds awesome.

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — September 21st, 2011 at 5:25 am

yes and if you dont have it, not critical, but it’s nice.

check the baking section of your store; it’s what we’d use here in molasses cookies (not sure if you guys make those in your part of the world) but look in that part of the store.

Blackstrap molasss as a tidbit & factoid is amazingly high in iron (that and beets) and is wonderful for women to keep our iron stores high.

cathy — September 21, 2011 at 3:22 am

so, an october goal is going to be to actually do some meal prep. i’m not going to call it “cooking” – that sounds a little ambitious. this recipe today is perfect for me to try, averie!!! i love beans – just had some for dinner last eve, in fact. i am so with you that you want to make meals that are “not rocket science,” as you say, and that are quick and easy and make leftovers.
    i’ve tried edamame a couple times but really should try it more often…thanks for the reminder!
    have a great day!

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) — September 21, 2011 at 4:32 am

We are a bean loving family here! I like to keep beans in the freezer here along with bean burgers! We do a lot of omelets for quick meals too. This sounds like a perfect “clean the fridge and freezer” meal!

Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit — September 21, 2011 at 4:58 am

Wait, what? Averie eats beans? hehe jk jk. I’ve seen plenty of non-dessert items on your blog. Mmm this looks delicious!

katie @ KatieDid — September 21, 2011 at 5:09 am

yummm! I’ve been wondering if roating frozen veggies works, and they don’t turn too mushy? I buy tons of frozen veggies since I only cook for myself its a good way to ensure things don’t go bad, and I usually stir fry with them. But this looks awesome and easy, and i’m trying to plan a good casserole type dish to make ahead for next week because meals have been making me strapped for time lately.

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — September 21st, 2011 at 5:23 am

no they dont get mushy…you just put them in (straight from the freezer and bake)…they get tender, i.e. cooked, but they dont get mushy.

Brittany — September 21, 2011 at 5:20 am

Yum! I definitely need to make this. Black beans are my favorite. Pair them with veggies? Heaven!

Heather (Where's the Beach) — September 21, 2011 at 5:32 am

I love the veggies you have in this dish. Looks fantastic to me. I guess my easiest go-to is to pull out veggie burgers I try to make and keep on hand and pair with baked sweet potatoes.

Claire @ Un Bello Aperitivo — September 21, 2011 at 5:41 am

My dinners lately have been consisting of potatoes and some sort of sauteed veggie (creative, right?), but my all-time favorite easy dinner (and what I’m making tonight) is sauteed zucchini with fresh tomato, garlic, basil, and pine nuts. Sooo delicious!

Holly @ The Runny Egg — September 21, 2011 at 5:49 am

I like beans but like you my stomach can tolerate only so much!

I love easy dishes like this — dump in a pan and bake. My favorite go-to meals are things like chilis, loaded baked sweet potatoes, eggs, pasta/marinara, etc. Nothing too fancy and nothing technical — just dump ingredients together and adjust based on what you have.

Katie — September 21, 2011 at 5:54 am

I’m a huge fan of the one-pot meals based on frozen veggies. Everyone is all scared of them or poo-poos them as less healthy, but they are just as good, don’t get mushy if you cook them right, and are so. much. cheaper.

Brussels with artichokes, eh? I like the way you think – outside the box, whatever you have on hand. I would get into this….minus the beans. Not a bean fan these days. But, that Mrs Dash chipotle is fantastic. Actually all of her seasoning blends are great. I have about 7 of them! The tomato basil is my personal favorite.

Kaity — September 21, 2011 at 6:46 am

i made your salsa cheezy veggie bake yesterday bc ever since i saw it the other day i needed to make it it was awesome my mom even loved it and she picked around anything with beans.. i cant wait to try this one i think the artichokes would def make it and ur rite the planned left overs are the best mines all ready for lunch today i cant wait! thanks<3

Gina @ Running to the Kitchen — September 21, 2011 at 6:55 am

I love the addition of the artichokes to this. Artichokes always seem “fancy” to me. I know that’s ridiculous but when I see them in a recipe they definitely make it seem a little more special than an every day meal. I love beans. In fact, I just restocked the pantry with them after yesterday’s grocery store trip so I’m ready to go for the fall!

Chris — September 21, 2011 at 7:01 am

Hi Averie! Not healthy…but quick and enjoyable…refrigerated crescent rolls wrapped around a hotdog. Baked till golden brown. Served with spicy mustard and white wine. Round it out with a salad ;D mmmmmmm!
    Love beans! There’s a great recipe in Paul’s backpacking cookbook from the 70’s “Mung Bean Stew” quick and flavorful. If interest let me know, I’ll post the recipe. I also like to make “chicken salad” but substitue mashed garbanzos instead of chicken and add chopped pickles, capers, onion, mustard, mayo, soy sauce, olives, salt & pepper…great on crackers or cut up veggies. Then there’s Black Bean Brownies. Going to give your baked beans and veggies a try!! Have a great day!

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — September 21st, 2011 at 12:24 pm

hot dogs and crescent rolls….I grew up in MN and that’s a pretty standard potluck, church basement type meal from the 80s. Thanks for the memory lane trip :)

The mashed “chick’n” salad sounds great. I have some here that are nut pate versions

thanks for reading and your comments.

Alicia@ eco friendly homemaking — September 21, 2011 at 7:47 am

I am going to Trader Joe’s this week and you can bet frozen artichokes are on my list now. I had just bought a bag of black beans to cook this weekend and now I have a great new recipe to use them with!! Thanks it sounds so delicious!

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — September 21st, 2011 at 12:25 pm

their frozen artichokes are great b/c there’s no “broth” or juice, oil, or added salt or flavorings and you can grab a handful at a time and throw them into anything, i.e. soups or this dish or anything really

Get Skinny, Go Vegan. — September 21, 2011 at 8:04 am

I actually crave beans. Whenever I pretend to be raw, I always cave for Beans!!!!! I have been making “The Indian Slow Cooker” food for the last year, and Black Chickpeas ROCK!

Erica — September 21, 2011 at 8:06 am

LOVED the last bean/soup bake you made, so I am DEFINITELY making this! Bookmarked! I would like to live on dessert alone, but I can only imagine the tummy ache ;). Have a good Wednesday sweet thing!

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — September 21st, 2011 at 12:26 pm

Thanks for telling me you loved the last one I made….and I hope your 1st day back at work went smoothly!

Kaitlyn@TheTieDyeFiles — September 21, 2011 at 8:35 am

Mmmm I LOVE beans pretty much any way. I also love simple meals, and planned leftovers for me means cook once, eat 4 or 5 times. It’s the best, and it means I always have the best lunches!

kris (everyday oats) — September 21, 2011 at 8:56 am

this looks delicious! Lovee black beans! – and veggies :)

Jess @ Keeping It Real Food — September 21, 2011 at 9:11 am

One of my easy go-to meals is butter beans in spicy tomato sauce with olives. Over brown rice and topped with a little goat cheese or feta, it’s the perfect main or side dish. Usually, I’ll serve it with a big salad.

Bev Weidner — September 21, 2011 at 9:34 am

I need to figure out a way to climb into that little pot o’ beans and settle in for a long nap.

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — September 21st, 2011 at 12:27 pm

I saw two of your lovely foodie creations on FG when I was submitting my fudge and beans. Congrats on your accepts :)

Anna @ The Guiltless Life — September 21, 2011 at 10:18 am

Oh this looks delicious! I LOVE beans; they were my saviour when I first turned veggie. Funnily enough I actually have a black bean quesadilla recipe lined up to post on Friday so that would be my favourite bean recipe!

Sara (The Veggie Eco-Life) — September 21, 2011 at 10:20 am

It seems delicious! And a big plus that it’s easy to make!

Amber K — September 21, 2011 at 10:42 am

If I’m really being quick I will quickly steam some veggies, pull out pre-cooked brown rice from the fridge, and open a can of beans. Add any sauces I have made from the fridge or spices from the rack and create something. Which is what we end up doing at my house the most often because it just so simple. And I’m incredibly impatient. So many meals sound delicious, but in the end I know I’m going to end up making the meal that takes less than 15 minutes.

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — September 21st, 2011 at 12:28 pm

yes if it’s not easy and ready in under a half hour, there’s high chance I won’t ever make it either!

Rachel @ The Avid Appetite — September 21, 2011 at 11:19 am

this looks delicious. I love one pot meals. My go-to on a busy night are English muffin pizzas. Always delicious and always easy!

julie — September 21, 2011 at 11:37 am

haha i bet you can live on dessert alone! let’s try it and then see what happens ;)

this is a great recipe! and i love anything thats spicy and warm in the winter especially on football suuuundays! thanks for sharing lady love <3

Allison — September 21, 2011 at 12:39 pm

I am a first time visitor to your blog. The black bean dinner looks delicious as do all of your sweet treats!

Bria @ West of Persia — September 21, 2011 at 1:22 pm

This looks like something I could prep ahead of time and then pop in the oven as I shower after a long day. Awesome!

Yep, I like beans. One of my go-to meals: Sweet potatoes cooked in the slow cooker as my starch, then I’ll add a quick-cooking protein and a side veg like kale, either lightly cooked or raw. All topped with avocado and maybe a few sundried tomatoes and olives. Filling, nutritious, and fast.

Anna @ On Anna's Plate — September 21, 2011 at 1:43 pm

Ooooh, this is beautiful!! I love how it captures the colors of fall!!

Calvin — September 21, 2011 at 6:24 pm

As a Vegetarian, posts like these make me wish I could hire you as my own personal chef. What say we have a blogger meet up on the West Coast and this could be the main course? Wow… a meal like this needs to be in a magazine. With all the truth in the world, these pictures made me so hungry that I almost just ate through my laptop!

You are an amazingly creative cook. I think you’ll win over the male Veggie crowd with this one!

Misha — September 21, 2011 at 7:03 pm

Your food photos are looking FAB!!!

Christine (The Raw Project) — September 21, 2011 at 9:43 pm

Agreed on one-pan or pot meals, my go tos on busy weeknights. This bean dish looks wonderful with beautiful pics of course! Awesome job!

1. Lentil stews, quinoa dishes, tofu or tempeh stir fries, and monster salads.
    2. Yes and will probably be eating more of them as the weather cools. Currently my faves are lentils and tempeh, I especially like tempeh for the nutty flavor, fast cooking and probiotics for better digestion since other beans can be, uh, tough in that area. :-)

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — September 26, 2011 at 10:19 pm

I love beans, especially in chili, tacos, or sweet potato burritos.

I have a lot of easy meals planned for this fall because I am going to be super busy with school. If I need something really quick, curried lentil soup is always fast and easy.

Cathy@ What would Cathy Eat? — September 27, 2011 at 2:29 pm

Wow, I just made a spicy baked bean recipe, too! This looks great. I hope you’ll enter it into this month’s My Legume Love Affair event, which I’m hosting: http://www.whatwouldcathyeat.com/2011/09/announcing-my-legume-love-affair-39/

Jenny — February 1, 2012 at 12:13 pm

What a fantastic way to get your family to eat brussels sprouts! This looks really great.

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — February 1st, 2012 at 1:59 pm

Yes and it’s a great one to clean out anything in your fridge drawer or freezer; dump it in, it’ll work :)

Susannah Culbertson — February 1, 2012 at 2:14 pm

This looks amazing! Do you rinse/drain the beans or just use with the liquid? Found this recipe via Pinterest and CANNOT wait to make it this weekend!

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — February 1st, 2012 at 2:19 pm

I cracked open a can of beans and just kind of dumped them in…you could rinse them, I suppose, if yours are particularly gloppy. But I take as few steps as humanly possible :) Enjoy & LMK if you make it and use ANY random odds and ends veggies from your freezer/fridge you wanna clean out in this one.

jen — March 1, 2012 at 5:13 pm

Hi,

I’m going to make this on the weekend, but I’m wondering what the point of lining the pan with foil is. Is it just to make clean up easier?

Thanks!
    Jen

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — March 1st, 2012 at 10:33 pm

Yes because you really don’t want to be scraping browned bean bits off your pan when you could be hanging out on the couch instead :)

sara — May 11, 2012 at 8:50 am

Wow, this looks incredible! Great flavors, delicious! :)

Melissa Klotz — October 11, 2012 at 5:27 pm

What a great idea!! For some reason, I’ve never thought of baked black beans.

Kristy N — October 15, 2012 at 7:15 am

Hi Averie! Just wanted to let you know that I made this for dinner last night, and it was F-A-N-T-A-S-T-I-C. It’s gone into “The Binder,” which means it will now be in regular rotation. I blogged you here: http://www.veganiseasy.com/?p=132, and added you to my favorite sources. Thanks for a great recipe!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — October 15th, 2012 at 9:17 am

So glad it was a big hit for you guys and that it went into The Binder to be put on rotation!

Mary — July 22, 2013 at 5:41 pm

Thank you very much – made my own version adjusting to what i had in my frig and freezer – it was very good and something I can adjust and reuse – like a good soup recipe…Cheers!

• Averie Sunshine replied: — July 22nd, 2013 at 6:28 pm

So glad they worked out for you and you adapted it based on what you had on hand – wonderful!

AlohaGrama — August 30, 2013 at 11:56 am

An easy way to sneak more veggies in is to make cauliflower mash instead of mashed potatoes. No one will ever suspect. I promise.

Lynn — February 10, 2014 at 7:47 pm

Looks yummy. I can not wait to try it. I have one question. ..do you drain and rinse the beans or do you add the whole contents of the can?
    Thanks

• Averie Sunshine replied: — February 10th, 2014 at 11:30 pm

Personal preference – do what you prefer.