The Fit Stop

I just got back from the hair salon…

And realized that my interview in Fitness Magazine was published today.

I am featured as part of their Fit Stop section

The story is here

Earlier in the week I was featured as Food Buzz’s Daily Special

From Snickers Bar Stuffed Chocolate Chip Cookies

to talking Fitness

I’m honored to have been chosen for these features!

So rather than just spouting off about Diet vs. Exercise on my own blog, I got to spout off elsewhere, too.  Thanks for humoring my spouting.

After a hard day at the salon, it was time to come home and eat bon-bons and watch soap operas.  Kidding!

But at the very least a Raw Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Ball from the freezer hit the spot!

I had fun reading what your favorite scents are from earlier today, too.

1. What are your favorite magazines?  Do you subscribe?  Read online?

I joke that I don’t read books unless you count my Google Reader as a book.  I am almost the same with magazines.  I just don’t have time to read them!  But I want to.  I’ve been posting for years that my goal is to read more.

I let all my subscriptions lapse other than Yoga Journal

Alanis Morissette  is on the cover this month. I saw her perform live many times back in the day!   Her shows were fabulous!

You Outta Know.  I think I belted out the lyrics to that one about 98987 times circa mid ’90s.  Are you thinking of me when you…

I recently won a subscription to Allure so I get that one, and in the past have gotten Cosmo, W, Marie Claire, Glamour, Self, Hers, Shape, Vogue, Fitness, Redbook, InStyle, you name it, I’ve probably had a subscription to it at one point.

Currently, down to just two print magazines.  Oh and the dozens of parenting magazines that I get but those are all freebies and carry-overs from when I was pregnant.  Five years ago!  Not sure why or how they just keep showing up!

I do miss pleasure reading from real books and real magazines, but 95%+ of my reading is online.

I do take pleasure in reading blogs, reading what’s in my  Google Reader, reading articles on the internet.

I’m an instant gratification girl so being able to clickity-click and hop around as I see fit on the ‘net is the best thing since sliced bread Deep Dish Double Chocolate Golden Grahams Smores Bars.

2. What are you reading right now?  Books, magazines, blogs, websites?

Tell me your faves!

3. Any Fitness Tips you want to Share?

I posted extensively yesterday about my thoughts on Diet vs. Exercise and tons of links and tips in that post so check it out if you missed that one.

Hair pics…next post.

52 Responses to “The Fit Stop”

Lauren at Keep It Sweet — September 1, 2011 at 4:22 pm

Congrats on all those features! I’m almost finished reading Cutting for Stone but would love new book suggestions:-)

Nikki FYC — September 1, 2011 at 4:24 pm

Congrats on the Fitness mag feature!!! My favorite magazine right now is Veg News. I have 2 paper subscriptions to magazines: Veg News & Lucky. This girl likes to look at cute clothes along with her food!

Fitness tips? I need a few, haha. I’ll just keep reading your blog :)

Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance — September 1, 2011 at 4:26 pm

Wow! What an honor to be in Fitness magazine!

First Foodbuzz, now Fitness– you’re turning into quite the celebrity ;)

Cait @ Cait hates Cake — September 1, 2011 at 4:39 pm

Averie – you are a rockstar!! Way to go, girl! My fav magazines are Wired, US Weekly, and Real Simple. Pretty much cover all my bases with those three ;)

Ali @ Urbanfruitbat — September 1, 2011 at 4:43 pm

Haha, I cracked up when I read that you went home to eat bon bons and watch soaps. That would be the day, would it not? I am like you, not really into the magazines so much, but I love to read the blogs! I do read real books too though. I just finished Martha Becks “Leaving The Saints” and it was awesome. I am currently reading “Living Buddha, Living Christ” by Thich Nhat Hanh.

Keelie (SweatEqualsSuccess) — September 1, 2011 at 4:43 pm

AGHHHHHHHHHHHH! How amazingly exciting and well-deserved- I KNOW you work hard!

I’m currently reading textbooks, articles and reading packets for school… and loving every second! :)

Michaela — September 1, 2011 at 4:46 pm

congrats :)
    Your blog is one of my fave!
    Also I am currently reading “Skinny bitch”. If I would ever doubt veganism, this book would put me “right” about it again. I love it.
    Fitness tips? Go and find something you love and then just stick to it!

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — September 1st, 2011 at 5:43 pm

Ive heard that about Skinny B. That it’s not for everyone, but if you can get past certain parts of it, that overall, there is some really good stuff in it.

• Michaela replied: — September 2nd, 2011 at 6:21 am

it´s true that the approach is different, but I love it and the book reads very easily.

Cari — September 1, 2011 at 5:42 pm

Congrats! Are you featured in the print version as well?

Julie @ Sugarfoot Eats — September 1, 2011 at 5:45 pm

Congrats of the feature in Fitness!! And I made your Snickers cookies for work on Monday and they were a hit!!!

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — September 2nd, 2011 at 3:02 am

thanks for LMK!! (and the commenter right under you wrote the SAME thing! popular little buggers!)

Holly @ The Runny Egg — September 1, 2011 at 5:59 pm

Averie that is awesome! And I love that you were featured for fitness and those cookies (which turned out awesome by the way — pics tomorrow!)

Right now I get Women’s Health and Cosmo — I got them for $5 subscriptions on Amazon — if you check their site in late Dec you can usually get killer deals on mag subscriptions. I used to get Runner’s World but I can get the same info online for free, so why pay for it?

Paige @ Running Around Normal — September 1, 2011 at 6:05 pm

I like the look of your hair salon!
    Congrats on the interview, Avery! You deserve to be featured:)

chelsea — September 1, 2011 at 6:28 pm

I love shape and fitness magazine :)

Laury @thefitnessdish — September 1, 2011 at 6:41 pm

That article is amazing!!! So happy for you!!!!!

I stopped subscribing to mag a few years ago but like Oxygen, Fitness, Shape, Veg News and all the foodie mags!

cathy — September 1, 2011 at 6:43 pm

congrats on the feature in fitness mag, averie! that’s an awesome and peppy feature! very cool!
    i used to subscribe to 8-10 magazines and i have let them all run out as 90% of the reading i do now is online (blogs being a big part of that!). i really like runner’s world and can read it for free at the store, so that is bonus!
    right now i am reading a fluffy book – tori spelling’s – but have the girl with the dragon tattoo ready to go.
    glad you got in a salon appt today, too! nice reward for your magazine features this week!

Juliette — September 1, 2011 at 7:32 pm

Wha Hoo on your article. That is fantastic!
    1.) Fitness, Shape, Women’s Health, Runner’s World, Backpacker – mostly read online.
    2.) Book – Little Bee and a several blogs in my spare time.
    3.) Do what you are good at and enjoy what you do.

Katie — September 1, 2011 at 7:39 pm

COngrats!!

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table — September 1, 2011 at 7:59 pm

Congrats on the article! I do the “5 minute” rule when working out too. I’ve never stopped once I begin. :)

I’m digging the Muscle and Firtness for Her mag – they have some great weight workouts in there.

My fitness tip: do push ups every day. I’m up to 100!

Christine (The Raw Project) — September 1, 2011 at 8:20 pm

Congrats on being featured on the FitStop blog, that’s awesome! Great interview too!

1. Currently Runner’s World and VegNews. I don’t subscribe because of a time issue now.
    2. Cosmo, Vegetarian Times, Mad Cowboy, and Live Raw.
    3. Try to spend time outside of the gym too.

Katie — September 1, 2011 at 8:21 pm

My favorite magazine is Oxygen, but currently I’m reading “Vegan’s Daily Companion” by Colleen Patrick-Goudreau. I recently made a swtich to a plant based diet, and this book caught my eye online. I ordered it, and have not regretted it! The short daily reads are long enough for a satisfying read, but short enough that I actually have the time to read them ha! I also have a TON of blogs I follow and read, with your’s and Healthy Tipping Point being my two faves. As far as workout tips/tricks go, my fav is mind set – if you’re working out for health and strength, then you’re going to go further/longer than if you’re working out to be skinny. Our minds are our biggest allies (or enemies if you so choose.)

Lorin — September 1, 2011 at 8:25 pm

Congrats! For some reason the link didn’t work on my computer, but it seems to be working for everyone elses. I’ll just go to self.com and find it there :)

• Lorin replied: — September 1st, 2011 at 8:28 pm

Haha, nevermind I meant fitness magazine’s website, but going to their website doesn’t work either, so I don’t think it’s your link that’s not working .

• Lorin replied: — September 1st, 2011 at 10:56 pm

Yeah, it works now. Do you still teach yoga?

kate @ run with kate — September 1, 2011 at 9:25 pm

congratulations on both features!! that is super exciting!! what a great week for you.

i am a bookworm and i am almost ALWAYS in the middle of at least 2 books at once. usually one non-fiction and one fiction. currently, i am reading The Alchemist and also Bird by Bird: Lessons on Writing and Life. :) i also subscribe to running times, runner’s world and previously subscribed to yoga journal… thanks for the reminder to renew my subscription!

have a fabulous holiday weekend!

• Alicia replied: — September 1st, 2011 at 10:36 pm

ooh I liked the Alchemist!

Crystal — September 1, 2011 at 9:55 pm

Congrats on getting mentioned in the magazine! :)

Currently I am reading “A Storm of Swords” by George R.R. Martin. It is book 3 of a high fantasy series. There’s a HBO show about it, too (Game of Thrones). Next up I’m reading some YA to balance everything out.

Alicia — September 1, 2011 at 10:33 pm

Congrats on the feature! I currently have a subscription to COSMOPOLITAN and Women’s Health. I read lots of online blogs (including yours!!) all the time! I’m currently an English Major so I have to read novels all the time for school. I’m ashamed to admit I’m reading the ‘something borrowed’ series for fun! haha

Tasha @ Voracious Eats — September 1, 2011 at 11:50 pm

Congratulations on your interview! I love that you listed sunshine as something you can’t live without. ME TOO! Lucky for us we both live somewhere that is pretty much sunny 365 days a year! And also – chocolate. I can’t live without that either.

I’m reading EM Forster’s A Passage to India, which I’m really liking. Non-fiction wise I’ve got a stack of books almost as tall as me that I’m plowing through for grad school, but I’m liking that as well.

As for magazines, I read Good Food which is done by BBC and is great, as well as Oprah magazine. Those are the only 2, pretty much. Magazines here are 10-15 US dollars, so I really can’t indulge any more than that!

Kristin @ STUFT Mama — September 2, 2011 at 12:25 am

Congrats. Congrat. Congrats. So excited for you!
    Magazines. Oh how I would LOVE the day my magazines would come in the mail. Now I have a HUGE stack of untouched ones along with a stack of unopened books). So sad. I always say I’m going to read more too. Lately I’ve been reading way too many things on the computer (blogs, etc.) I should be “reading” the inside of my eyelids. ha ha ha! Averie you are amazing! :)

Kathryn — September 2, 2011 at 1:11 am

Congratulations on the article, I really enjoyed reading it!

I don’t really have time to read books when I’m not on holiday but I do have a 45 minute commute on public transport every morning/evening so I’ll often pick up a magazine then but I’m afraid I like the trashy gossip and fashion magazines best…

Kaitlyn@TheTieDyeFiles — September 2, 2011 at 4:35 am

Congratulations on all these features! You go girl, you are killin it lately. I guess all the hard work pays off!

I don’t think I’ve read a magazine in like a year, and subscribed to one in forever! Most of my reading comes from blogs and school, but during lunch I always have a book. Right now it’s Why We Love Dogs, Eat Pigs and Wear Cows by Melanie Joy. I love it so far! So simply written and logical. I’m enjoying it far more than I did Eating Animals by Jonathan Safran Foer.

Naomi(onefitfoodie) — September 2, 2011 at 7:18 am

congrats averie!! this is so exciting! I lov eyour blog! you always keep it fresh, you are REAL and dont preach any lifestyle but stay true to yourself…I love that about you! Yes we must catch up!! i am competing on sept 25th in Boston :) shoot me an email this weekend and we can catch up on lives xoxo

Ilana — September 2, 2011 at 7:56 am

Averie, I’m *still* listening to Alanis. You Oughtta Know is my current go-to shower song. Love her SO much!!
    And look at you, getting all famous and recognized. I love it!

Beth — September 2, 2011 at 8:54 am

Congrats on the Fit Stop feature!

I don’t read any magazines, unless I’m caught somewhere like a hair salon without a book. Then I just flip through them aimlessly ;)

Just finished reading the latest “Jason Bourne” novel and am now starting a new J.D. Robb book. Most of my reading time is on the bus during my commute to work.
    Blogs (other than yours): Elana’s pantry, Oh She Glows, The Spunky Coconut, The Renegade Health Show, Carolyn Dean MD, and Natural News.

Amber K — September 2, 2011 at 10:59 am

I could save a ton of money if I weren’t subscribed to so many magazines! But I love taking them with me to the gym and they provide hours of entertainment so I don’t see it changing any time soon. I also read at least 2-3 books at a time and am constantly reading online. Although reading online is my least favorite reading to do (even though there are so many blogs I LOVE) I just can’t stand sitting at my computer reading. I’d much rather be curled up on the couch with a book or magazine.

Victoria @ The Pursuit of Hippieness — September 2, 2011 at 12:22 pm

I’m a little bit of a fashion junkie, and my job right now requires me to look through magazines for designer mentions, so I read a LOT of fashion magazines. Tons! I really love fitness mags like Self and Shape and most recently, Yoga Journal! They keep me inspired to try new things.
    I’ve seen Alanis perform live too! She’s great!

mi-an — September 3, 2011 at 7:30 am

averie, congrats on being featured!!! (i’m so late but better late than never!!))

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — September 3, 2011 at 12:35 pm

I am reading a book called:

“The World is Fat.”

It is quite interesting.

Nathalie — September 4, 2011 at 8:53 am

Congratulations on the feature! And for being faetured on Foodbuzz as well :-)
    The only magazine I read is Natural Health (UK), but I adore reading books. Lots of non-fiction but I also love a good novel- The Sea by John Banville is one I am reading at the moment.

Jackie Smith — September 4, 2011 at 9:02 pm

Congratulations! I’m not surprised that Fitness chose to interview you: you’re awesome and fun and inspirational!

I just finished a trashy romance; next I’m going to reread Crazy Sexy Diet. Also, I read along with my students which means I’m reading Night (seniors) and Lord of the Flies (sophomores).

I picked up three cookbooks at the Borders closing sale: Peas & Thank You, Read Food Daily cookbook, and The Conscious Cook.

Yeah, I read all the time. These books are in addition to my regular magazine, Facebook, & blog reading.

Heather E. Carrillo — September 6, 2011 at 8:30 am

Congratulations! How excited you must be!