BakeStravaganza

I hope you had a nice weekend.  I could be found in the kitchen over the weekend.

Making and baking was fun…

…Doing the dishes?  Not so much.  But unavoidable.

Everyone asks about these bowls when I post them.  They are these Zak bowls and they have been used multiple times per week for the past 3 years and I would say I have at least another 30 years left with them.  Extremely well-made.  They show no signs of wear, at all.

What did I make?

This was just some of it.  And I’m not even kidding.  I didn’t intend for it to turn into such a bakestravaganza but it did.  Not that that’s an awful thing or anything.

The chocolate 9 x 13 pan is a pan of Special K Bars (No Bake and with easy vegan modification)

They are so gooey, peanut buttery, chocolatey.  Make them.  My grandma will thank you.

And then the cookies.  Well.  Whoops.

The cookie recipe I was developing accidentally made about twice what I thought I was getting into.

Extras?  Just freeze them.  I do it with all my desserts.  If you don’t need a pan of Special K Bars, 3 dozen cookies, Samoas Bars, last week’s Candy Corn Cookie Dough Pretzel Bites, and more…

Just throw it all in the freezer and dole out as needed.  Like around midnight when snack time is calling when company drops by.

What are the cookies?  Well, that’s a secret for now.

I developed them from this recipe for Peanut Butter Oatmeal White Chocolate Chip Cookies but you’ll have to sit tight.

The raw cookie dough for the new cookies was perhaps the best raw cookie dough I’ve ever eaten.  So, so, good.

Other than cooking and baking, stuffing my face with cookie dough, and doing the dishes, I also managed to spend time with Scott and Skylar.  We went to a pumpkin patch.

And Skylar jumped around in a Jumpy Castle You know, those blowup things you worry your kid is going to sprain their ankle in it or get some kind of bacterial skin disease from that grimy plastic.  Yeah, those things.

source

But she loved every jumpy second of it.

And I loved enjoying the 70F sunny weather and the day with my family.

I also enjoyed a few Samoas Bars over the weekend

They enjoyed them too which made me happy

1. Best thing you ate or did over the weekend?

My list includes everything I mentioned in this post.  Baking, creating, cookie and bar eating, pumpkin patching it, being outside and with my family.

And I got some nice yoga and runs in, too.

2. Do you eat raw cookie dough?

Even though there is a raw egg in the dough I made over the weekend, and I ate a couple spoonfuls anyway.  I grew up eating raw batter, crusts, brownies, and cookie dough.  And I’m still here today.

You could always make raw vegan chocolate chip cookie dough which is made to be eaten raw.  No eggs.

There’s many schools of thought on raw eggs.  Some people think there’s nothing wrong with it and do it often (bodybuilders for example).  Other people would never eat raw eggs because they worry about salmonella.

Some people may eat something with a raw eggs only if they are fresh eggs or if they know exactly where the eggs came from or if they’re pasteurized as in homemade Caesar dressings, mayonnaise, eggnog, homemade ice cream or custards, and in Hollandaise sauces.

To each her own.

Remember Orange Julius when they really did have raw eggs in them?

I will never forget in my seventh grade Home-Ec class (do they still have “home economics” class?  I doubt it) but we made Orange Julius with raw egg.  In a public school in rural Minnesota and no one batted an eye.  Pretty sure that wouldn’t happen today.  Even though those Orange Julius’ tasted awesome.

So even though I don’t make a habit of eating raw dough, every once in awhile you have to taste the batter to make sure it’s okay before you bake it, right?

If you’re just catching up on posts from the weekend, here are mine since Friday:

Last chance for the $100 Visa Giftcard & Pedometer Giveaway

Have a great week!

50 Responses to “BakeStravaganza”

Kristi — October 23, 2011 at 10:39 pm

All of your baked goods look amazing! I LOVE baking days like that – sounds like you had a wonderful weekend. :)

(love eating raw cookie dough btw!)

Amanda — October 24, 2011 at 1:13 am

Looks amazing! I <3 raw cookie dough and brownie batter : )

Kathryn — October 24, 2011 at 1:24 am

I had a similar baking day over the weekend and made some of the best chocolate chip cookies I’ve ever eaten. It’s only just gone 9am here and I’ve already eaten two today!

I have no qualms about eating raw eggs at all. I always sneak a few bites of cookie dough and will happily eat desserts and drink cocktails that contain raw egg.

bakerbynature — October 24, 2011 at 3:02 am

We had the same idea this weekend; I spent almost the entire 2 days baking away – Heaven! Your creations look amazing, Averie! And, I’m totally jealous of your sink space!

As for raw cookie dough – um, yeah. It’s delish.
    Happy Monday :)

Lauren — October 24, 2011 at 3:52 am

Looks like you were busy!! PS- I am planning on making your carmel pumpkin whip dip and I just spotted cinnamon cool whip! How perfect this will be.

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey — October 24, 2011 at 3:57 am

My brother in law makes milk shakes with raw eggs – ugggh gross!!!

This weekend was so so busy. I am exhausted!

lindsay — October 24, 2011 at 3:57 am

congrats on those samoas bars! they deserve the martha stewart of baking award for sure. But then again, i think you are way better than martha.
    p.s.
    raw cookie dough is the best, eggs and all. Orange julius never killed anyone, right?

Amelia — October 24, 2011 at 4:08 am

Averie, why do you have to make everything look SO good?! I’m running out of baking materials… I keep wanting to make everything you post!

Heather @ Health, Happiness, and Hope — October 24, 2011 at 4:15 am

I first have to say that your living/family room decor is gorgeous!!! I can see it in the background on that first photo and I love it! :)

Sounds like such a great weekend. I have so many fun memories of picking out pumpkins with my mom and brothers growing up… I’m sure Skylar (and you) will cherish them for years.

Haha yes, I do eat raw cookie dough (and raw pancake mix… some of them are so good!). My mom taught me growing up that it was basically a death-guarantee if you ate it, but after having it at a friend’s house in middle school and waking up alive and well the next day, I started having a spoonful when it’s around. ;)

Brittany — October 24, 2011 at 4:27 am

Who doesn’t eat raw cookie dough? That’s the best part! I could eat it all without even putting it into the oven and be happy ;D Sounds like you had a wonderful weekend!!

Lisa — October 24, 2011 at 4:55 am

We made the raw-egg-juilius in home-ec in upstate NY too! They were darn good :)
    i always eat raw cookie dough…and usually like it better than actual cookies…but my mom did salmonella from a poached egg once that put her in the hospital for 3 days…and even the thought of raw egg (or runny yolks) makes her gag!

Ally — October 24, 2011 at 5:25 am

Oh my gosh those baked goodies look so good! We went to Sea World this weekend and enjoyed the gorgeous weather outside. I don’t eat raw cookie dough. My degree is in microbiology and my food bacteriology class will forever stay with me!

rawkinmom — October 24, 2011 at 5:36 am

I love a good baking spree!!!! Except I end up sampling a little of everything and always end up overdoing it!!! LOL

Heather (Where's the Beach) — October 24, 2011 at 5:41 am

I just loved those bouncy castles when I was a kid. Talk about simpler times when just jumping made you happy huh? And love those vases on your coffee table.

Katie — October 24, 2011 at 5:59 am

Orange Julius…wow, that’s a blast from the past. A good one, too. The mall….ahhh.

I always eat cookie dough, it always has raw eggs and I’m not dead yet. So, I’ll keep doing it thanks. And I freeze my cookies too! I take a few out at a time and store them in the cabinet, thinking they’ll last a couple days….nope. No matter how many I pull out, I eat them all that day. :D

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — October 24th, 2011 at 11:11 am

Heck, my cookies thaw in about 15 minutes…so yeah, no matter how many I pull out, I can always pull out more :)

Michaela — October 24, 2011 at 6:00 am

looks great! I thought you were having a cookie-party or some kind of that thing ;)
    I love bouncy castles!! Yeah for hand sanitizer :D
    Oh, how I love raw cookie dough! I don´t understand people who bake without tasting the dough first! I always check for taste first, so I can adjust if nesseccary and then have a nother spoonful or so for yumminess ;)

Anna @ On Anna's Plate — October 24, 2011 at 6:19 am

Wow– you went baking crazy!!! Looks great.

I MISS raw cookie dough– didn’t think about that as a pregnancy no-no until I got pregnant, ha!

Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit — October 24, 2011 at 6:26 am

You were a baking machine this weekend! Mmm everything looks SO good!

Bianca @ Confessions of a Chocoholic — October 24, 2011 at 7:04 am

I love weekends when I can do a lot of baking and cooking. The best part about my weekend was spending time with my mom and going to dimsum brunch together!

Brooke — October 24, 2011 at 7:08 am

Oh my gosh Averie, I’ve been following your blog for some time now and am one of those people who rarely comments, but I have to say, oh my gosh, those cookies are delightful. I’m making a batch to mail to my mom, and I’m positive they’re going to make her day. Heck, the cookie dough made mine :) And I made your caramel apple bars the other week to take to work and they were DEVOURED in no time at all. Thanks for sharing your yummy ideas with us!

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — October 24th, 2011 at 10:55 am

Thanks for LMK you made the cookies and the caramel apple bars…and that they were a hit.

Thanks for reading and for saying hi :)

Lindsay @ Lindsay's List — October 24, 2011 at 7:10 am

YUM!! Wish I could take some of these goodies off your hands!!

Christina — October 24, 2011 at 7:16 am

Baking all weekends is amazing, dishes? Not so much at all. You’re baking and I’m thinking about using my slow cooker lol.

chelsea — October 24, 2011 at 7:18 am

Best thing over the weekend was carving pumpkins with my family :) It’s a yearly tradition where we all get together and carve. So much fun!

Rachel @ The Avid Appetite — October 24, 2011 at 8:04 am

I absolutely love baking days like this! Especially this time of year. All I want to do is nest and bake and wear flannel pajamas. Everything looks fantastic :)

Kaitlyn@TheTieDyeFiles — October 24, 2011 at 8:20 am

Happy Monday! I had a great family-filled weekend. And all my cookie dough is vegan so I definitely eat it!

Bev Weidner — October 24, 2011 at 8:59 am

Look at all that baking!

I hope you napped. Wow.

betty — October 24, 2011 at 9:27 am

I would love to try the Special K bars and those at last look really good, the best thing I ate this weekend were empanadas <3 I love them, specially when they are fluffy and the cheese inside is still warm and melts on your mouth

Anna @ The Guiltless Life — October 24, 2011 at 9:33 am

Those bars look amazing, as do the cookies…mmm…and I’m jealous of your weekend weather! x

Jenny @ Simply Be...me — October 24, 2011 at 9:57 am

It was a baking weekend in our house too! I made oatmeal raisin chocolate chip cookies and date squares. I also took my son to his first hockey game at the local arena and he loved it! I usually freeze cookies as well when I make a lot but have been thinking more and more about just freezing the dough :)

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — October 24th, 2011 at 11:18 am

your baking sounds great.

Freezing the dough…my grandma used to do this and I think with some doughs like pie crust it’s more “okay” than others in terms of the final result. Not sure if cookie dough “holds up” the same, i.e. if the baked cookies will be the same after the dough has been frozen/thawed. Not sure it would make too much difference though. Trial and error and taste-testing is the only way. Tough work :)

Amber K — October 24, 2011 at 10:55 am

Raw cookie dough is the best, and I am able to eat more of it if egg isn’t involved. I find that it actually tastes better without the egg anyway. I took home ec in sixth grade! I wonder if schools still even care about that anymore.

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — October 24th, 2011 at 11:12 am

Thank you for all those pins you did!!!!!!

And home ec class…blast from the past, right? :)

AmandaRunsNY — October 24, 2011 at 11:37 am

i’m not afraid of a little raw egg. Those recipes look really great. I hope you share them soon!

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — October 24th, 2011 at 4:11 pm

one recipe is the special k bars that I linked in the post (one of my fave bars ever!)

and the other is based off the cookies I also linked. Will be getting it updated soon :)

Madeline - Greens and Jeans — October 24, 2011 at 1:28 pm

Man, if I would have known you were making all of those goodies I would have been on the first flight to SD!

Erica — October 24, 2011 at 2:48 pm

Hooray for baking! And good mixing bowls! I have a set from Williams Sonoma that I have literally used a bajillion times and they also show no sign of aging! Best thing I ate over the weekend? hmmmm probably chocolate chunks or a salad I had out Friday night :) Opposites much? ;)

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — October 24, 2011 at 4:06 pm

Oh, you better believe I eat raw cookie dough!!!!

betty — October 24, 2011 at 6:11 pm

i LOVe your mixing bowl!~
    and my most favorite weekends are when i am baking heaps of things :)

Sarah — October 26, 2011 at 5:11 am

All of these baked things look absolutely divine!

Christine (The Raw Project) — October 26, 2011 at 8:42 am

So amazing amazing baked goods here, yum! Shouldn’t read this when I’m hungry for breakfast! :-)

1. Adopted a new dog, who is parked on my lap now.
    2. Raw vegan cookie dough? Yes! It’s been awhile since I’ve had the traditional stuff raw, but raw vegan stuff can taste just as good to me.