Scoop It & Simple Things

I recently found these cookie scoops at Bed Bath & Beyond

They don’t seem to have them on their website, but when I was at my local BB & B for my donut pan last week, I picked up the $3.99 gadget on a whim.

And it rocked my weekend bakestravaganza

Dig into your dough

And push the big button to release the dough onto your cookie trays.

And it releases the dough easily and effortlessly.  No sticking!

Which seems to have resulted in my most uniform cookies to date.

Martha Stewart may not approve but for me, they were as uniform and neat as I have ever managed.  Between my Silpat and my Flexipat and a cookie scoop, I feel like I have a new lease on cookie baking.

In the past I have tried scoops like these and the “releasing mechanism” usually doesn’t want to release the dough easily.  Then the dough builds up and gets caught in the wire and it’s a big mess and not a time saver or a pretty-cookie-maker.

I usually resort to just spooning my cookie balls out with a kitchen spoon onto cookie trays but my cookies were never as neat as I wished.   <– And if this is my worst problem in life, I realize I’ve got a blessed life.

But who knew that $3.99 separated me from cookie nirvana.

I can’t wait to try it on a batch of Snickers Bar Stuffed Chocolate Chip Cookies

Or a batch of Peanut Butter Oatmeal White Chocolate Chip Cookies

It’s the simple things that get me excited.

Did Microwave Salsa Verde Pepperjack Tofu get you excited?  It got me excited.   It’s another simple thing that just changed my dinner repertoire, big time.

1. Do you use a cookie scoop?  Any particular types or brands you’ve tried?  Opinions or do they work for you?

2. Any simple things that you’ve discovered lately or simple things that have really helped you?

A few of mine…

Freezing leftover coffee into ice cube trays is great in iced coffee because it doesn’t get as watered down.

Planned leftovers.  Cook in batches and then reheat.   Not for everyone, but for me, makes life much easier.

Not walking into the grocery store with everything pre-determined.  Being flexible and taking advantage of what’s on sale and up in the front of the store in the produce department.  Saves money and increases the variety of produce I buy.  Here was a post I did on saving money on your grocery budget.

P.S. Please vote here for my No Bake PB Biscoff Cookie Dough Bites in the Delta Biscoff Bakeoff.  You can vote once per day for the next week.  If I win, I could win a culinary dream trip to NYC, Napa or LA.  It just takes a second to click and vote.  Thank you so much!

54 Responses to “Scoop It & Simple Things”

Ashley — October 25, 2011 at 12:42 pm

OMG I have to by those cookie dough scoopers! I fight with the dough sticking to the tablespoon every time I bake. Why didn’t I think of that invention!
    I came on here to find your peanut sauce recipe. I’ve made it about 10 times probably, its so good with baby carrots! I’m addicted to it! You should make a salad dressing recipe out of it! I tried to add some water to thin it out to use with my salad and no luck, just a runny gross looking mess haha. Anyway great blog, love your recipes!

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — October 25th, 2011 at 12:46 pm

Glad you like it. For a salad dressing, I would just thin it out with more OJ or even a splash of rice wine vinegar or more sesame oil or agave…whatever flavor you like most, you could add a bit more of that. Or just use it as-is as a salad dressing..dips, dressings, they’re so close anyway.

Savannah @ Sweet and Savvy — October 25, 2011 at 1:14 pm

Those scoopers are awesome! :) You sure have me craving cookies now!

Heather (Where's the Beach) — October 25, 2011 at 1:14 pm

I don’t have any scoops but want them for no reason other than they’re cute. I could have multiple measuring spoon sets too.

Katie — October 25, 2011 at 1:23 pm

I just voted!!! Good luck on the contest, I posted on my wall too , hope that helps!

Those cookie scoopers are awesome!

kathleen @ the daily crumb — October 25, 2011 at 1:33 pm

we received the squeezing scoop for our wedding and i used it once… the dough never wants to come out, and half of it sticks! so frustrating. will have to look for these at bb+b!

i’ve started eating 1/2 a grapefruit every morning instead of coffee (i know, random trade off), but it has made me feel so much better throughout the day! that’s a small thing :)

Jessica — October 25, 2011 at 1:42 pm

Um I am literally walking out the door right now to head to Bed Bath. Seriously, I NEED these! :-P

Muriel — October 25, 2011 at 1:54 pm

Hey I live in SD also and I wondered if you had restaurant recommendations.

Also what do you use your fruit butters for?

Michaela — October 25, 2011 at 2:09 pm

second picture = paradise!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I love baking tools so much. I am longing to buy a cookie scoop for ages. 1,5 more weeks until I am in the States and can follow your shopping recommandations :D
    I recently got a new extra sharp knife. THAT has been helping me a lot. Nothing is worse than not being able to cut, but having to kinda “hack”.

Drayre — October 25, 2011 at 2:16 pm

I use the scoops with the releasing mechanism. My mother and grandmother always used them and after my grandma stopped cooking she gave all her scoops to me! As for saving time I am doing the opposite. I have a limited, planned grocery list and my goal is to get in and out as fast as possible (I race myself). It helps me save time, money, and getting into unplanned trouble.

Ela — October 25, 2011 at 2:46 pm

Wow, thanks for sharing about this cookie scoop–we even have a BB&B in Anchorage (220 miles away, but I’m going next month). I could see how that would make a huge difference in making cookie-scooping fun and satisfying rather than frustrating and just-not-quite-right.

Jumping rope might be my big new discovery, not that it’s really ‘new,’ but super cheap and an amazing workout in a short time.

Kaitlyn@TheTieDyeFiles — October 25, 2011 at 3:23 pm

My mom has one of those mechanistic cooke scoops and I HATE it! I always just use my hands :)

Annie @ Naturally Sweet Recipes — October 25, 2011 at 3:30 pm

I always use a scoop when baking!! It’s just so nice to have everything uniform and the same size. If I use my hands, cookie dough balls go missing. Oops. :) Those cookies look amazing!

Kelly @ Foodie Fiasco — October 25, 2011 at 4:06 pm

The baking aisle at BB & B is a very dangerous place for me. I love it too much. A cookie scoop sounds like a great idea, though! I usualy just use a measuring spoon, but this sounds way better. Good luck in the bake off! (You totally deserve to win.) ;)

julie — October 25, 2011 at 4:20 pm

omg i’ve been dying for these since i saw one of my bffs get one when she had her bridal shower. she prob hasn’t even used it yet hahaha anyways like its genius! scoop and pop. um hello why didn’t i think o fthat!

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — October 25th, 2011 at 6:54 pm

i know girl, we could have made a mint had we come up with a patent like that, right!

Meredith (Reeftraveler) — October 25, 2011 at 5:11 pm

I love the coffee/ice tray idea!

A simple thing that I just rediscovered is makeup removing wipes (I’m always talking about beauty products). I love them! What a time saver.

Jenny @ Simply Be...me — October 25, 2011 at 5:13 pm

I have been on the hunt for a cookie for what seems like forever! I just can’t seem to find one. Anywhere!

Kinley @ Better Off Barefoot — October 25, 2011 at 5:48 pm

Those are fantastic! I have a mechanical one but it never works properly and always has to be repaired. Not to mention never gets really clean! I think I will be going on a cookie scoop hunt this weekend to see if I can locate these! Awesome tip!

bakerbynature — October 25, 2011 at 5:50 pm

Your last few posts have me ready to fly to Cali just to eat some cookies with you! Glad you found a scoop that works wonders for you; I just roll them out the best I can.

Marianna — October 25, 2011 at 5:52 pm

I love to browse your site, and get lots of great recipes. But tonight, I just had to comment on your speckled mixing bowl – I have one exactly like it that I inherited from my mother. She taught me how to bake when I was a little girl, and we always used that special bowl. Thanks for bringing up a wonderful memory!

Marianna

Anna @ On Anna's Plate — October 25, 2011 at 5:54 pm

I love discovering new gadgets :-)

katie @KatieDid — October 25, 2011 at 6:11 pm

ahh it’s the little things in life isn’t it? So cute and I bet it speeds up the whole process too which is nice. Not drinking coffee anymore has streamlined my mornings way down. I’ve been drinking hot chocolate instead and it takes a quarter of the time!

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — October 25, 2011 at 9:44 pm

I have never used a cookie scoop, but those are super cute! I like the simple things too :-)

You sure had a baking extravaganza girl!!! Your family must be loving all the yummy treats.

Lauren @ Lawfully Wedded Wife — October 25, 2011 at 10:39 pm

I made cookies today and I’ve been feeling for weeks now that it’s about time for me to get a cookie scoop! I’ve used the metal ice cream type scoop ones in the past but I know what you mean about them getting messy and sticky. Thanks for the tip, I’m going to see if my BB&B has this neat contraption! :)

Kris | iheartwellness.com — October 25, 2011 at 10:42 pm

I LOVE my cookie scoop!! You need one to make amazing whoopi pies so they fit together beautifully :)

These ones are super cute!!’

xxoo

Yvette Brooks — October 26, 2011 at 2:45 am

Yesssssssssssssssssssssssssssss…. I use scoops.

Using scoops is a tried and true way to have ALL your cookies uniform and yummy. Presentation makes all things yummier lol.

I use a stainless steel one don’t recall the brand or exact size ( I have had it forever). I use one that is also ideal for scooping out melon for yummy melon balls.

I prefer using one that squeeze for a quick scooping motion, because I tend to have a lot of dough and it feels faster ;)

Katie — October 26, 2011 at 5:58 am

I haven’t seen this version, but I want to lick that spatula. ;)

Jessa — October 26, 2011 at 6:35 am

Not to be a party pooper but I have bought that cookie scoop twice and each time it broke through the flimsy plastic on the bottom of the scoop when I pushed too hard. So make sure not to overfill the scoop or put anything in it that is tough to get out, etc. But for me I will stick to the metal ones that they also sell at BB&B. P.S. – I love your blog!

Christine (The Raw Project) — October 26, 2011 at 8:36 am

Cute scoops, love the colors. Thanks for the info!

1. Nope, I have a large ice cream scoop that might be good for large cookies. :-)
    2. New cutting boards that are lighter and easier to wash.

Christin@purplebirdblog — October 26, 2011 at 9:12 am

“And if this is my worst problem in life, I realize I’ve got a blessed life.” Amen, sister! I like to say I have high-class problems. :)

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — October 26th, 2011 at 12:06 pm

Yeah, I hear ya sista :)

And it’s SO GOOD to hear from you again. I’ve missed you!

• Christin@purplebirdblog replied: — October 26th, 2011 at 12:09 pm

Likewise, my friend! I’m so happy school is finally over so I can get back in the blogging swing of things again. :)

Amber K — October 26, 2011 at 10:23 am

Wow, those look awesome! I usually just dole out cookies with my hands because it seems less messy in the long run, but those would help even more. I’ve been voting – hope you win the Biscoff bake off!

Phoebe — October 28, 2011 at 10:29 am

Love your super cute yellow bowl with dots & the measuring spoons!! :D

jeanette d — March 1, 2013 at 11:22 am

I am so happy to see you use one of these. I saw it yesterday, and thought…”plastic?” – thought of dough sticking……I passed it up. Found this on a search. I figured there would be Public Outcry. “Look-they are out to distroy us…” ;) Well, I know I can trust your word; girl you know cookies. Thnx