Dark Rum Oatmeal Raisin Cookies

Sometimes you want a cookie…

…And sometimes you want a shot.

These cookies provide you with the best of both worlds.

Cookie, meet Dark Rum.

I used to be be able to drink with the best of them, but since becoming a mom my coffee-chugging abilities are about all the power drinking I do anymore.

Yes, I’ve turned into a total lightweight and I actually felt a happy, mellow calmness come over me after eating a couple of these cookies.

Not sure if it was the sugar putting me in a trance.  Or the rum.

Either way, I wasn’t complaining.

[print_this]

Dark Rum Oatmeal Raisin Cookies

2 tbsp dark rum

1/2 c raisins (I used TJ’s Raisin Medley)

1/4 c butter, melted (1/2 stick)

1/2 c brown sugar

1/3 c white sugar

1 egg

1 c flour (plus more as needed, see directions)

1 c whole rolled oats (plus more as needed, see directions)

1/4 tsp (heaping) baking soda

1/4 tsp (heaping) baking powder

3/4 tsp cinnamon

1 tsp vanilla extract

Directions:  Preheat oven to 350F.  Combine rum and raisins in a small bowl and set aside.  In a microwave-safe bowl, melt the butter.  Add the sugars to the melted butter and whip by hand with a spoon until mixed.  Allow mixture to cool a bit before adding the egg (just cool enough so you don’t end up with scrambled eggs) and stir.  Then add all remaining ingredients & stir.  Finally, fold in the soaking raisins and rum, including any rum that did not absorb into the raisins and was at the bottom of the bowl.

Examine your batter and based on how well your raisins did or did not soak up the rum, you may need to add more flour/more oats if the batter is looking too wet.  My raisins did a poor job of soaking up the rum so I added another 1/4 c flour and another 1/4 c oats to get the batter into cookie dough consistency.  Use common sense and judgment.

Also, chilling the dough in the freezer for 10 minutes before baking will help with wet dough and chilled dough will result in cookies that spread less while baking.

Scoop golf ball sized balls onto a cookie sheet, about 2 inches apart.  They do spread. Bake at 350F for 10-12 minutes.  Remove from oven even if they don’t look quite done; they will solidify more as they cool.  Allow to cool well before removing the cookies from the cookie sheets.

Yields approximately 15-16 cookies

[/print_this]

The cookies are soft, very chewy, and the rum adds a rich flavor to the overall dough.

Adding the alcohol seemed to make them lighter and airier than normal cookies, and also a little browner.  Guess dark rum would have that effect, eh?

If you’re concerned about adding rum to these cookies, you could omit it, of course.

But we’re talking a mere two tablespoons of rum in an entire batch of cookies.  Not very much alcohol per cookie when you break it down.

Two tablespoons used to be my chaser.  After my shots.   Life has changed just a wee bit over the years.

Plus baking probably neutralizes some of the alcohol’s effects; the alcoholic content is baked off while the rum flavor remains.

If you try these, I’d love to know your thoughts.  Or if you catch a buzz.

You could try serving them at holiday parties or family gatherings and perhaps they’ll help folks chill and mellow out a bit.  ‘Tis the season for all that family-togetherness, after all.

And if you’d prefer virgin cookies, may I suggest these Oatmeal Raisin Cookies.

1. Do you like rum?

I do, but if you don’t like rum…

Or don’t like raisins (I know some people don’t)…

…You could try vodka and dates.

Grand Marnier and dried mango.

Triple Sec and dried blueberries.

Really you could go in so many directions.  I may just try that.  Sounds like fun taste-testing!

2. Do you like alcohol in desserts or in recipes?

Oh I do and here are a few drunky dessert recipes alcohol-containing recipes

Dark Rum Caramel Sauce

Bananas Foster (Vegan, GF)

Spike the agave mixture in Raw Vegan Apple Crumble with rum

Vanilla Baileys Slushie

It’s almost the weekend, right?  A good excuse to start spiking the dough.

83 Responses to “Dark Rum Oatmeal Raisin Cookies”

Sara Grambusch — November 9, 2011 at 10:34 am

What a great idea just in time for the holidays…or the weekend ;) I’ve had rum balls before which make me feel a little woozy. I think tart dried cherries might be good in this recipe too.

Kathryn — November 9, 2011 at 10:36 am

I love dark rum and although I’ve put it in cakes/brownies before, I don’t think I’ve ever tried it in cookies. I must give this a whirl!

Anna @ On Anna's Plate — November 9, 2011 at 10:43 am

I love the flavor of rum– reminds me of summers in the Bahamas :-) This sounds like a perfect mix of summer and fall, with the oatmeal cookie aspect!

Char @ www.charskitchen.ca — November 9, 2011 at 10:46 am

yesss, this made my morning! I love rum (especially with rootbeer!), and I’m dying to try it in a cookie! :D

Krista — November 9, 2011 at 10:47 am

When I was a kid my Mom use to preserve raisins and dates in moonshine. Then at Christmas she would use the raisins in her shortbread recipe. No joke! LOL

shelly (cookies and cups) — November 9, 2011 at 11:00 am

triple sec and dried blueberries sound AMAZING…but I do like rum, so….

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — November 9th, 2011 at 4:19 pm

woman with the way you bake, I’d pretty much love to sample ANYTHING you make! You have me drooling, daily.

Amanda — November 9, 2011 at 11:22 am

I’m not a huge rum fan, but I love it in desserts and baked goods. My friend makes this super delicious chocolate rum cake with extra rum in the glaze. It definitely gives you that warm fuzzy feeling. :)

These cookies sound great! Oatmeal raisin is one of my favorites.

Mariel — November 9, 2011 at 11:23 am

those look yummy! ;)

Claire @ Live and Love to Eat — November 9, 2011 at 11:26 am

Mmm, rum is my drink of choice – Captain, specifically! ;)

cathy — November 9, 2011 at 11:27 am

neat combo, averie!
    i do not like run and i do not like alcohol…but i fully realize i am in the minority!
    have a great aft!

Heather (Where's the Beach) — November 9, 2011 at 11:42 am

Yum! I am not really a dark rum fan so much as the lighter rums – or vanilla rum (hello awesomeness). But darker rum works well in baking I think. I can almost taste these.

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — November 9th, 2011 at 4:20 pm

Oh Ive had vanilla rum…stellar.stuff. That combined with malibu in a pina colada, yes indeed.

Annie @ Naturally Sweet Recipes — November 9, 2011 at 11:43 am

Your pictures are so beautiful!! Looks scrumptious. :)

Erica — November 9, 2011 at 11:48 am

You always find a way to make baked goods even more fun! Love

Lisa is Raw on $10 a Day (or Less) — November 9, 2011 at 12:10 pm

Avery, your photos are always stunning, but the third photo down should be in a food museum. Wow. I also stopped by to let you know I gave you the Liebster “favorite” Blog award!

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — November 9th, 2011 at 4:21 pm

Thanks so much, Lisa, for the photography compliments. The 3rd one down is the one I submitted to the food sites and they took it; so thank you.

And the award…off to check that out, too. Thank you!

kathleen @ the daily crumb — November 9, 2011 at 12:18 pm

how did you know a cookie and a shot was exactly what i needed at about 11 a.m. this morning. long day at work!!

i’m not a rum FAN per se (bad experience sophomore year of college), but i am a big enough fan of oatmeal raisin cookies…and your recipes!…that i will give this a shot. if my husband finds me passed out on the couch, though, with a plate of cookie crumbs, i’m baling you!

chelsea — November 9, 2011 at 12:38 pm

they should be called pirate cookies ;D that’s what i always think of when i think of rum.

katie @ KatieDid — November 9, 2011 at 12:54 pm

I love adding wine to stir fry’s and sauces, it adds a great depth of flavor. I’m sure liquor adds such a nice zing to these!

Katie — November 9, 2011 at 1:24 pm

True story: Meyers was the first liquor I ever tasted… for some reason we always had it around the house when I was growing up! Those cookies look dee-lish.

Tamizn — November 9, 2011 at 2:07 pm

Oooooooo they sound good! I’m not always keen on alcohol in deserts but my sister makes some mean kahlua cupcakes……..and yes i do like rum sailor jerrys to be precise : )

Ela — November 9, 2011 at 2:23 pm

Rum may be my favorite-tasting hard liquor. But I hardly ever use any alcohol these days, although I think that cooking/baking are some of the funnest ways to use it.

I’m surprised that there’s any alcohol left in them–like you said, you’d think it’d boil off during the baking process. But maybe it doesn’t get hot enough on the inside of the cookies. Or maybe, like you said, it’s a sugar buzz!

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — November 9th, 2011 at 4:22 pm

There was some rum left…something about those raisins…they held it in :) Not tons, obviously, but a lil something!

Ellen — November 9, 2011 at 3:57 pm

Love me some rum! Particularly in a mojito.
    Unless its baked in I usually prefer keeping desserts and alcohol separate-unless it is a dessert drink, if that makes sense…so a Bailey’s shake, heck yeah but things like tiramisu, not as much…

Kim @ Eat, Live, and Blog — November 9, 2011 at 4:38 pm

I’ve never tried alcohol in my dessert before. I actually don’t really like alcohol but these cookies looks delicious! :)

Kristi @lifesprinkles.com — November 9, 2011 at 4:45 pm

dying for one of these right now! what a fun idea! our family gatherings could definitely use a little lightening up ;)

Colleen — November 9, 2011 at 5:08 pm

Great idea, using dark rum! I have never had alcohol considering I’m only 16, so I’ll stick to the normal oatmeal raisin cookies ;)

Gisela — November 9, 2011 at 6:36 pm

These look amazing. Oatmeal raisin are the only cookies I like, but I’m still looking for a good recipe, so I’ll definitely need to be making these! (Probably sans alcohol though…;) )

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — November 9th, 2011 at 6:50 pm

I linked the non-alcohol recipe for oatmeal raisin cookies in the post. If you’re making them without alcohol, try that recipe. They were my fave version of oatmeal raisin cookies to date.

Bria @ West of Persia — November 9, 2011 at 6:59 pm

Ha ha, a new “Mommy’s Little Helper” we have here, I see. Love these! Nice and festive, just in time for the holidays :-)

Laura @ A Healthy Jalapeño — November 9, 2011 at 7:01 pm

These looks great and never thoughts of adding dark rum in before. very nice!

Cat @Breakfast to Bed — November 9, 2011 at 7:07 pm

Do you think I could do this with bourbon? If not, I’ll just drink the bourbon and I’ll like ANY flavor.

Katie — November 9, 2011 at 7:28 pm

I love rum. And it’s funny you posted this now, because I’ve just been emailing back and forth with a friend about an idea for a whiskey old-fash cookie. I’ve made whiskey brownie balls in the past that are awesome. Clearly, I’m not averse to baking with alcohol. ;)

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — November 9th, 2011 at 7:33 pm

LMK if you get this comment reply in your inbox like normal. Experimenting with a new way of comment replying from my dashboard rather than from the post itself.

And yes, you could use some rum or whiskey cookies in your life these past few days…hope today was better!!

Naomi(onefitfoodie) — November 9, 2011 at 7:36 pm

its funny I am not a huge rum fan on its own but I love rum when its in desserts! it gives it a nice sweet and spicy flavor. I bet these cookies are SO good and given taht my favorite are oatmeal raisin…WITH RUM?! I mean how could you go wrong!!

Lindsay @ Pinch of Yum — November 9, 2011 at 7:48 pm

Do I like rum? What kind of a question is that? ;) These look delicious!

Kelly @ Foodie Fiasco — November 9, 2011 at 8:21 pm

I wouldn’t know. I’m underage. However, these cookie DO look amazing. ;)

Mahealani @ Beauty, Brains, and Balance — November 9, 2011 at 8:41 pm

Yum! I don’t drink, but I do love to put alcohol in baked goods. It really adds that “je ne sais quoi” element sometimes!

Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers — November 9, 2011 at 8:47 pm

The cookies look great and they look crispy! Ii love flat crispy cookies! I love Rum, but I love it in margaritas! :) I bet it would be good in cookies too!!

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — November 9th, 2011 at 9:26 pm

they’re actually REALLY chewy but flat. Something about the alcohol + brown sugar + baking…Im sure there’s a chemical reaction there but they are chewy and flat, rather than crispy and flat. Just a fyi in case you really want crispy; these aren’t it.

• jennifer @ peanut butter and peppers replied: — November 10th, 2011 at 7:24 am

I love chewy too! I’ll definitly give these a try, I think I may even have rum in my cupboard, so I’ll be making this recipe soon!

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table — November 9, 2011 at 9:00 pm

Perfect timing! I literally just googled “booze cookies” yesterday. I’m thinking these with Kahula… :)

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — November 9th, 2011 at 9:25 pm

kahlua soaked raisins, i bet bailey’s soaked raisins, any kind of orange flavored liquor…skies the limit :)

Michele Sparrow — November 9, 2011 at 9:43 pm

“Not sure if it was the sugar putting me in a trance. Or the rum. Either way, I wasn’t complaining”.

Love your comment! I was laughing! :-)

Kris — November 9, 2011 at 10:00 pm

Mmm! catching up on my reader, obviously! these look good, and I might just like the flavor of rum! I’m not a fan as a drink – tastes like college. ;)

Christine (The Raw Project) — November 9, 2011 at 10:29 pm

Another fabulous dessert recipe from you, these look amazing. Awesome pics too, very vibrant.

1. Sure, but in moderation!
    2. Yes, but again in moderation because sweets and alcohol tend to be strong for me.

Elizabeth @ Saffron Lane — November 10, 2011 at 8:34 am

Your timing is impeccable! I was voraciously craving an oatmeal cookie yesterday and think the addition of rum is sheer genius. Happy to have found your blog!

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — November 10th, 2011 at 11:48 am

Thanks for saying hi and the oatmeal raisin cookies I linked to in the post (without alcohol) are great if you’re looking for that, too.

Amber K — November 10, 2011 at 9:23 am

I’m a vodka girl, but these sound (well look) delicious!

Alisa — November 10, 2011 at 3:05 pm

You just took already amazing oatmeal cookies to a whole new level. I’m drooling over here.

Gisela — November 10, 2011 at 5:04 pm

Great, thanks, I will! My cousin and I are going to do a big make-the-ultimate-oatmeal raisin cookie baking extravaganza, so maybe we’ll try both.

Gisela — November 11, 2011 at 4:44 pm

I definitely will!

kitchen tops — November 12, 2011 at 3:41 am

I’m dying to try it in a cookie! i like those images yummy :) and i like your blog Averie

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — November 14, 2011 at 7:27 pm

I like white rum, but I don’t usually like alcohol in desserts. I did however put alcohol in my creme brulee on Friday (which I am posting the recipe for at the moment), but you can’t taste the alcohol at all. Just tastes like orange.

Katherine Martinelli — November 19, 2011 at 12:51 am

These look great. I’ve never thought to add dark rum to cookies, but it’s a great idea! I definitely have no issue with booze in my desserts :-)

Mia — December 13, 2011 at 9:31 pm

I’ve made these cookies twice now and both times they barely spread out. First time I thought it was cause I used unbleached flour, but this 2nd time I use regular white all purpose. I’m using brand new baking soda and baking powder so that can’t be it. The flavors are good, it’s just that I was expecting a chewy flat cookie not a semi-chewy ball.

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — December 13th, 2011 at 9:37 pm

I’ve made them a few times and both times they spread a lot for me..not sure what to say. Things to consider off the top of my head is the amount of liquid, i.e. rum, in your dough. My dough was fairly moist/wet because my raisins don’t seem to soak up tons of the rum; therefore I dump the excess from the soaking bowl right into the cookie dough, as indicated in the recipe. Perhaps that’s why mine spread more than yours? Not sure but just a thought…

ana maria mendez — September 8, 2012 at 9:52 am

I did it. Are you sure it was 2 tablespoons of rum? i did’n need to put more flour, it seemed too dry!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — September 8th, 2012 at 9:59 am

Yes that’s what I used – based on how dry your raisins were and how much they soak up will dictate the dryness or moistness of the dough. You may have to make some adjustments & tweaks.

• Ani Mendez replied: — September 10th, 2012 at 7:51 am

Oh yes i Did! i enjoy recipes where i can adjust =) thank u Averie.
        I’ll come back here and make some of the things you have here.
        Best wishes from Spain. Ani.

Christina — September 22, 2014 at 8:32 am

These are my new FAVORITE oatmeal cookies! I added a pinch of salt and dash of fresh nutmeg. They were amazing!

• Averie Sunshine replied: — September 22nd, 2014 at 6:52 pm

Thanks for trying this recipe and so glad that it turned out to be your favorite oatmeal cookie recipe!!