Happy Thanksgiving

The turkey was prepped on Wednesday evening.  It’s taking a little marination bath with turkey stock, orange juice, olive oil, rosemary, salt and pepper.  It’s also sharing its bathtub with some baby carrots, too.

I’m actually not making a whole turkey but rather two turkey breasts.  Scott doesn’t need an entire turkey for himself and two turkey breasts have worked in years past so that’s the current menu plan.

I think Scott and Skylar will be happy.  Hope so anyway!

The Cranberry & Orange Ginger Mango Chutney has been taste-tested and sampled by yours truly.  Many times.  I love the chunky mango pieces.

The flowers were bought.  Kidding.  They weren’t.  Is it terrible that I don’t splurge on fresh flowers very often, if ever?

I’m saving my splurges for one of these Stuffed Dark Chocolate Chocolate-Chip Cookies

Today I’m reminded to be thankful for:

Scott & Sklyar.  My family is the most important thing, period.

Our health

A roof over our heads and food on our table.  We have warm beds, clean clothes, and hot showers.  I try to appreciate and be grateful for the simple things which aren’t so “simple” if you don’t have them.

My friends, new and old.  Ones I’ve met through blogging and ones I’ve known since childhood.  You make me happy.

The fact that we’re not going anywhere or traveling to anyone’s house for the holiday or rushing off anywhere or doing the musical houses shuffle.  I hope to spend some time on the couch after I get the dishes done.  I’m thankful for a comfy couch.

And no, I didn’t bake all that today.  It’s Chocolate-Frosted Special K Bars (No Bake) and Chocolate Chip Peanut Butter Oatmeal Cookies.   They look nice.  But so does the couch.  That’s what I was trying to show.

1. Best thing you’ve eaten today or hope to eat?

2. What are your plans?  Where are you going, who’s house, staying in or traveling?  Black Friday plans?

We’re not going anywhere.  We’re staying in.  We’re traveling next week.

And thank goodness I am not setting foot into the mall until 2012.  Everyone else can have the Black Friday deals. I won’t trample anyone in the doorway of the store order to save $3 dollars on a scarf after waking up at 3am.  No thanks.  It’s all yours!

Thanks for the Enjoy Life Giveaway Entries

Happy Thanksgiving!

63 Responses to “Happy Thanksgiving”

lindsay — November 24, 2011 at 4:32 am

that sounds like a perfect thanksgiving! Enjoy it and cuddle up.

Brooke — November 24, 2011 at 5:03 am

Happy Thanksgiving to your family! I’m looking forward to the fresh, homemade stuffing my sister in law is doing!

Brooke

Alex@Spoonful of Sugar Free — November 24, 2011 at 5:05 am

Happy Thanksgiving, Averie!!!

I’m more of a ham person, so I’m making ham this year instead of turkey (so much easier to make, too!). Sweet taters and sugar-free pumpkin pie on the menu, too! Can’t wait!

Have a great one!

katie @ KatieDid — November 24, 2011 at 5:07 am

I’m missing my family a lot right now, but hope to skype with them this evening from Amsterdam with my brother! I’m so thankful that I’ll be spending a couple of days exploring a foreign city with him and friends. And I have no idea what or where I’ll be eating today which is all part of the adventure! But no turkey or stuffing most likely. Enjoy your holiday Averie!

dragonmamma/naomi — November 24, 2011 at 5:30 am

Boot-camp at 7:00, turkey meal at home with hubby and son 12:00-ish. Laze around the rest of the day and finish my book (Speaks the Nightbird.)

Happy Thanksgiving!

lauren@spicedplate — November 24, 2011 at 5:37 am

health and family — such important things to be grateful for — I’m there with you.
    Today I’m really excited for my cranberry sauce that I made…and I made extra, so I’m excited to play around with putting it into baked goods later.

My mom, dad, and sister, and Andrew’s mom, twin sister, and her boyfriend are coming over here…I’m doing yoga in between cooking to keep stress down!

Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours…eat well and be merry!

Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar — November 24, 2011 at 6:13 am

Happy American Thanksgiving! I’m in Canada so this weekend is just like any other weekend for me, but I hope you and your family have great food and great fun!

Heather (Where's the Beach) — November 24, 2011 at 6:39 am

Happy Thanksgiving my friend. I am so thankful that I’ve met you.

Kerryne — November 24, 2011 at 6:41 am

Sounds great! Treats look yummy and couch looks super comfy! :) I too am avoiding the heck out of Black Friday. My best friend asked me to join them, she said they go around 11 pm and don’t return until 8 am… umm… no thanks! People are nuts!

Ela — November 24, 2011 at 7:08 am

Amen to avoiding black Friday! I hope you get some of that couch time–I’ll be lounging on several planes and glad to be far from malls… I hope you found some nice carrots or peas to eat with the chutney! Or some of your crackers…

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — November 24th, 2011 at 1:38 pm

Happy Thanksgiving and hope the travels back home to the States weren’t too chaotic!

Brittany @ GOtheXtraMile — November 24, 2011 at 7:25 am

We should have done the same. We have a 16 lb turkey for three people. We will have tons of leftovers! Haha. I hope you have an amazing Thanksgiving :D

JOcelyn @ Peace Love Nutrition — November 24, 2011 at 7:51 am

I’m with you– I hate crowds! I’m all about online shopping if anything….

Happy Thanksgiving!!

kristen @ verbs and vignettes — November 24, 2011 at 8:23 am

i think even better than buying fresh flowers is photographing them where they already are! that photo is so gorgeous… and wherever they are, you won’t get chased for stealing someone’s flowers. happy thanksgiving, avery! i hope you and the family have a wonderful day together at home.

today, i’m going out to dinner to meet my guy’s family. or at least 35 of them. yeah, no big deal. haha. then we’re going to my mom and dad’s for desserts (and side dishes!!! since i’m vegetarian, and worried about what the restaurant will have.)

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — November 24th, 2011 at 1:37 pm

meeting a ‘small group’ of 35? oh, have fun :)

totally true about photographing flowers…that’s more fun to me anyway!

nicole marie — November 24, 2011 at 9:06 am

1. Best thing you’ve eaten today or hope to eat? ~ i look forward to opening my bottle of francis ford coppola’s blanc de blancs!

2. What are your plans? Where are you going, who’s house, staying in or traveling? Black Friday plans? ~ meeting the grandparents at the sheraton for an early dinner. then hosting an intimate cocktail party with vegan bites at my apartment later tonight! black friday? online! :) and i’ll take my dog to petsmart.

happy thanksgiving! your sitting room looks elegantly beautiful.

Ellen Einkauf Photography — November 24, 2011 at 9:11 am

The living room DOES look good! And so does all the food :P I’m not sure what all will be cooked as we are visiting some in-laws with Mexican heritage. Mexican food is some of my favorite though, so I am happy to have some ethnic dishes, traditional American food, or anything in between! Can’t wait :D

Nada (One Arab Vegan) — November 24, 2011 at 9:11 am

Those chocolate cherry cookies look heavenly! Have a great time with your family and happy thanksgiving :)

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — November 24th, 2011 at 1:35 pm

And the choc cookies can easily be made vegan. There is just 1 egg that you can use a chia or flax egg for or Ener-G and you’re set.

J @ ... semplicemente j ... — November 24, 2011 at 9:14 am

Like you I have always done turkey breasts when it is just the four of us … I am not a real fan of turkey, (except for my brother in law’s which I will be having TODAY) … so the turkey breast gives us enough of the traditional menu without giving us the leftovers that I hate to have even in things I love.

I have never gone Black Friday shopping ever … don’t think I ever will … just not in my family’s culture.

This Thanksgiving I am spending it at my sister’s lovely home in Los Angeles … I do not share much of other people’s private life but my sister’s home is definitely a sight to see … elegant, beautiful, and homey … it is going to be a wonderful evening!

Happy Thanksgiving!

Amber K — November 24, 2011 at 9:35 am

I’m going to be making your pumpkin bars to bring to a function as well as a quinoa salad so that I have something to eat! Definitely thankful for all of the blessings I do have. It’s a great holiday to remind me to stop whining about what I “need” and be thankful for what I have.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Kelly @ Foodie Fiasco — November 24, 2011 at 10:24 am

I love your thanks, and I hope you have a lovely Thanksgiving. ;)

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — November 24th, 2011 at 1:33 pm

As always, Kelly, thank you for your support & friendship!!! Happy TG to you and your family, too!

• Kelly @ Foodie Fiasco replied: — November 24th, 2011 at 2:10 pm

Your comment just made my holiday. Thank you, Averie. ;)

Kris | iheartwellness.com — November 24, 2011 at 10:47 am

Happy Happy Thanksgiving, gorgeous friend!! have a fab day with your family :) Eating nice food and sipping some nice bevy’s ;)

xxoo

mi-an — November 24, 2011 at 12:54 pm

Happy thanksgiving to you and your fam!! my whole fam is in cali so it’s just me and the bf hanging out today… i made all vegetarian dishes (as he is veg)…main dish is mac n cheese! can’t wait to eat it!! :)) also on the menu… mama pea’s smashed garlic potatoes and vegan gravy, cornbread stuffing and cranberry sauce (from tj’s), and baked sweet potatoes… cannot wait! :)) hope you ‘re having a fantastic day!

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — November 24th, 2011 at 1:32 pm

Happy TG, Mi-An. Wow, first TG for you in NYC….the menu sounds great and hope you and the boyf are enjoying life out there! xox

Stacy @ Say It With Sprinkles — November 24, 2011 at 12:59 pm

Happy Thanksgiving to you & your family!

Bria @ West of Persia — November 24, 2011 at 1:22 pm

Happy Thanksgiving, Averie and fam. I like you’re take on gratitude. It’s the simple things, right?

And hey, just wanna mention that i’m thankful for your blog :-)

Hugs!

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — November 24th, 2011 at 1:31 pm

Hugs & thank you for your constant support, Bria. Seriously your comments always bring a huge smile to my face :)

Char @ www.charskitchen.ca — November 24, 2011 at 1:41 pm

Enjoy your Thanksgiving with Scott & Skylar!! Sounds like it will be perfect :)

Ellen — November 24, 2011 at 2:16 pm

Pie is what I’most looking forward to, and I better get on it-I have nine dinner guests coming! Fortunately they know my vegetarian ways so I won’t be wrestling a turkey.
    You are brave to cook one for your family though:)
    Happy thanksgiving!

Ali — November 24, 2011 at 2:51 pm

Wishing you a happy and healthy Thanks giving time with your family love!! <3

Michaela — November 24, 2011 at 4:00 pm

Happy Thanksgiving!
    I am looking forward to a yummy smoothie after I come back from my run :)

bakerbynature — November 24, 2011 at 4:48 pm

Your couch looks perfect for long naps after too much turkey! Sending Happy Thanksgiving wishes to you and yours! xx

Joy (The Joy Vey) — November 24, 2011 at 6:10 pm

The best thing I ate today was my aunt’s special green bean casserole. I don’t think there’s anything in it to make it “special,” but it’s so delicious, we call it that!

Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours – hope it’s been a wonderful day :-)

Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers — November 24, 2011 at 6:33 pm

Happy Thanksgiving! Best thing I ate today was my Homemade Stuffing, I could get enough I ate enough for three people. lol Heading out on Black Friday, but at 7am not midnight. I think it’s crazy that the stores are opening so early this year.

Oh, My Husband made a whole bird (it was just him and I), I refused since he didn’t want herbs on it, he wanted it plain with nothing. Needless to say he ate enough turkey for about 6 people. I didn’t have any, I was being stubborn, besides but he used a whole stick of butter on it, yuck!

Have a wonderful evening! Hope you get to rest!!!

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — November 24th, 2011 at 7:06 pm

I didnt know that about the stores and I just comment replied to my friend who told me she saw ppl waiting in line at Toys R Us already…

“that’s just insane. i don’t get it…to save, what fifty bucks, ten bucks, 33 bucks…whatever it is…if you need to save the money that badly, they could get an hourly temp job rather than standing in line for 10 hours…they’d be money ahead AND they wouldn’t have to stand in line on a holiday?! I could go on and on :)”

Glad you enjoyed the stuffing!

Lisa [With Style and Grace] — November 24, 2011 at 6:35 pm

All sounds [& looks wonderful] Happy thanksgiving sweet friend!

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — November 24th, 2011 at 7:05 pm

I hope you are having a great holiday…with your destination vacay, it would be hard not to I’m thinking. Cant wait to see pics!

Katie — November 24, 2011 at 6:58 pm

I don’t think its bad that you don’t buy fresh flowers – I dont’ either. I don’t either though, so that might be a biased opinion. I tend to think they are overpriced most of the time. And some don’t look all that pretty after sitting in the store forever and then in my car, and then when I drop them on the way into my house….yeah.

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — November 24th, 2011 at 7:05 pm

Scott is the worst at this. He buys flowers that are on their last leg at the store and by the time he gets them home and then an hour passes, they look horrible. He’s under strict orders not to “waste” money like that anymore! Sounds awful but it’s just being practical!

Marcia @Frugal Healthy Simple — November 25, 2011 at 2:02 am

You know, probably the best thing I ate was my breakfast smoothie. Dinner was good, but I just wasn’t hungry for it. Ended up sticking half in the fridge. Which I’m eating at 2 am because I have insomnia.

Chicken, stuffing, roasted sweet potatoes/carrots/potatoes/onions, and green beans.

We usually host thanksgiving – have friends over. This year both sets of plans fell through. I have been so sick for over a month with bronchitis and colds, that we were fine with that and declined other invitations. I wanted to be able to nap on demand.

No thanks on Black Friday. I am not a shopper. We’ll probably take our boy swimming at the Y on black friday.

Kaitlyn@TheTieDyeFiles — November 25, 2011 at 7:10 am

Sounds like you had a nice relaxing Thanksgiving. Mine was loud and crazy as usual, I love it! The best thing I ate was definitely my vegan pumpkin cheesecake. And today I took the day off of school and am relaxing, getting some laundry and cleaning done, and MAYBE venturing to the grocery store to stock up on fruits and veggies. I need them after yesterday!

Christine (The Raw Project) — November 25, 2011 at 8:02 pm

Sounds like a fabulous Thanksgiving! Ours was awesome also, very relaxing at home while the weather was nasty outside. :-)

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — November 25, 2011 at 9:52 pm

My plans for the weekend include a sleepover with my nephew, homework and a Christmas party.