Marshmallow Peanut Butter Double Chocolate Pillowtop Bars

I was stumped coming up with a name for these bars.  There is so much good stuff in them and I didn’t want to omit any key words from the title.

I almost called these Everything-In-Your-Cupboard-Bars but decided that didn’t have a great ring to it.

White and dark chocolate chips, marshmallow creme, peanut butter, oats, a can of sweetened condensed milk and plenty of vanilla extract.

And oh boy, these are my newest favorite bar.

After baking the sweetened condensed milk. marshmallow creme, and peanut butter solidifies into a semi-firm, frosting-ish layer but it’s not really frosting.

It’s more like a Pillowtop.

Just like with a pillowtop for the bed, that top layer is smooth, soft yet firm, comforting, luxurious.

I would love to take a nap on that pillowtop.

Or sink my teeth into it, which I’ve done plenty of already.

They bottom layer is mixture of melted white chocolate, oats, sweetened condensed milk, and vanilla.  Rich, chewy, dense.

If you like white chocolate or sweetened condensed milk, you’re going to love the bottom layer because these bars are bursting with those two flavors.

I didn’t add any eggs and being that there’s no flour, these make for an easy egg-free and gluten-free dessert.

So as long as you’re not sugar free, I’m thinking you’ll like these.

[print_this]

Marshmallow Peanut Butter Double Chocolate Pillowtop Bars (Gluten Free, Egg Free, with Vegan Option)

Ingredients

2/3 c marshmallow creme

2/3 c peanut butter

1 can (14 oz) sweetened condensed milk, divided

1 tsp vanilla extract + 1 tsp vanilla extract

1 1/4 c white chocolate chips (this is most of a 10 oz bag)

1/4 c butter

1 tsp vanilla extract

2 c whole rolled oats

1/2 c (or more) chocolate chips

Optional: 1/4 c+ of other chips such as white chocolate chips, butterscotch chips, peanut butter chips, toffee bits, sprinkles etc)

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 350F and line an 8 x 8 or 9 x9 pan with foil and spray with cooking spray.

2. Place marshmallow creme, peanut butter, half of the 14 ounce can of sweetened condensed milk, and 1 tsp vanilla extract into a medium bowl and mix with a spoon until well combined.  Set aside.  This is the marshmallow/peanut butter layer.

3. Place butter and white chocolate chips into a saucepan and heat over the stove top to melt.  Note that the white chocolate and the butter will melt fast, possibly within 30 seconds.  Take care not to scorch it by taking it off the heat source as soon as it shows signs of melting and just keep stirring it with a spoon to encourage full melting.  After the white chocolate chips and butter have melted, add the remaining half of the 14 ounce can of sweetened condensed milk and 1 tsp vanilla extract.  Stir again.  Add in the oats and stir.  Pour this white chocolate/oats mixture into the prepared baking pan.

4. Add the marshmallow/peanut butter layer over the top of the white chocolate/oats layer.  Gently spread it over the top with a spatula.

5. Lightly layer the chocolate chips (or other/additional chips) over the top.

6. Bake for 20-22 minutes at 350F or until edges begin to pull slightly away or brown a big.  Center may seem somewhat jiggly, but will set up while cools.  Don’t overbake.  You want these gooey.  Allow to cool well before slicing and serving.  Expedite this by placing in the fridge or freezer.

Notes:

Use certified GF oats if needed rather than conventional oats and read all labels on all other products to check for trace gluten.

To make this vegan, use margarine in place of butter.  Use full fat coconut milk sweetened with agave rather than sweetened condensed milk.  Use vegan white chocolate and vegan marshmallows<– Lots of tweaks, yes, but not impossible.

[/print_this]

The recipe I used is very forgiving so if you have most of the ingredients, you’ll be okay.

Most people, or more specifically, most blog readers have oats, peanut butter, and chocolate chips on hand, right?

Thought so.

If you like the sound of today’s bars, I also recommend…

White Chocolate Vanilla Marshmallow Cake Bars.  They are more white-chocolate-meets-cake tasting because I used cake mix as the base layer rather than oats.

And if you want something that’s vegan and gluten free, a bit less sweet, very robust and flavorful because of the pumpkin, I suggest Pumpkin Peanut Butter Oatmeal Bars

Magic 8 Bars also have white and dark chocolate and sweetened condensed milk.  If you’ve never had a Seven Layer bar, try…eight.

Back to the Pillowtop Bars and how good it feels to make teeth marks in them.

You’ll thank me later that you tried these even if it means a little extra time on the treadmill.

They’re worth it.

They’re probably my newest favorite dessert.  The runner up is probably these cookies but you can’t really compare cookies and bars, apples and oranges.

1. Are you a fan of white chocolate, dark chocolate, peanut butter, vanilla, marshmallows?  What makes you say…ahhhh….What’s your current favorite dessert?

Once I bought a pillowtop layer add-on from Bed Bath & Beyond for a rock hard mattress and it helped tremendously.  It was a much cheaper alternative than buying a new softer mattress for a bed that was in our guest room (when we had a guest room).

There’s a difference between firm and rock-like.  Some firmness is fine, but not too much.  I’d prefer soft and squish to that sleeping on concrete feel.  What about you?

Hope you all had a fabulous Thanksgiving if you celebrate and a great weekend.   Have a great week!

Thanks for the $50 Clothing Giveaway entries!

123 Responses to “Marshmallow Peanut Butter Double Chocolate Pillowtop Bars”

Tiffany — November 27, 2011 at 12:49 pm

Your desserts are divine. I have to try this recipe! Thanks!

Gina @ Running to the Kitchen — November 27, 2011 at 12:52 pm

I’m not a huge white chocolate fan, but there are so many other delicious things in here (can we say marshmallow creme!?) that I think I could handle these ;)

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — November 27th, 2011 at 1:24 pm

Of all the flavors, the sweetened cond milk and the fluff really shine through in these. You will like them…promise :)

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — November 27th, 2011 at 1:24 pm

Oh and that spending an hour thing that we talked about on email…yep. Doing it now!

Char @ www.charskitchen.ca — November 27, 2011 at 12:54 pm

These sound (and look!) like little bites of heaven! I love that your recipes are so easy to make, but LOOK like you slaved over them. I’m gonna have to try these :D yes, I like sugar!

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — November 27th, 2011 at 1:23 pm

Thank you so much, Char. I really appreciate that feedback. THAT’S one of my goals! :)

Sophia @ Raven Waves — November 27, 2011 at 12:56 pm

These look seriously divine!! I’m a big fan of dark chocolate right now, but I’ll eat any type without hesitation hah!

Bianca @ Confessions of a Chocoholic — November 27, 2011 at 1:02 pm

I love desserts with condensed milk. These pillowtop bars look so luscious!

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — November 27th, 2011 at 1:23 pm

Ok the flavor of it is pretty pronounced in these…make em if you love sweetened cond milk!

julie — November 27, 2011 at 1:10 pm

the name of this post totally makes me want to go to sleep hahaha i think thats the point. i do have a pillowtop and it makes ALL the differencein the world!

Amber Shea @Almost Vegan — November 27, 2011 at 1:16 pm

“Pillowtop” bars – I love it! Marshmallows, white choc, PB…I’m sold. I love that you and I have, like, identical tastes in sweet-treat flavors.

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — November 27th, 2011 at 1:22 pm

For some reason I think your tastes are “healthier” than mine…lol :) But then again, I know you love your treats too!

• Amber Shea @Almost Vegan replied: — November 27th, 2011 at 1:24 pm

Ha, well, that’s true…although, rest assured, that’s out of [my waistline’s] necessity, not preference :P And I’m not immune to the occasional white-chocolate-chips-by-the-handful-interspersed-with-peanut-butter-by-the-spoonful-while-standing-in-front-of-the-sink-in-my-pajamas binges… =X

Kelli — November 27, 2011 at 1:18 pm

Oh Averie, these look like heaven!!!! Those are all of my favorite flavors combined in one bar. These have moved up to #1 on my baking list! Question: what are your go to breakfasts? I am in a breakfast rut!!!

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — November 27th, 2011 at 1:21 pm

Coffee..breakfast of champions :)

Make these my friend. They are my new fave dessert and per our emails, I know you will love em too!

Amanda — November 27, 2011 at 1:19 pm

I am a fan of all of the above ummm that’s my problem love sweets too much :) I have never bought a mattress topper but slept on my moms once it made a huge difference. I really want a Tempurpedic bed but do not want to fork over the cash, but heard they were worth it!

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — November 27th, 2011 at 1:21 pm

I have a Temperpedic pillow I use on airplanes. It’s fine but I wouldn’t want a whole mattress of it. Some people love them though.

Emily — November 27, 2011 at 1:25 pm

I’m completely in love with peanut butter and white chocolate, when I was home over the weekend I couldn’t resist snagging a few Reeses peanut butter chips and white chocolate chips here and there… These look amazing! :)

Heather (Where's the Beach) — November 27, 2011 at 1:28 pm

Those just look so ooey-gooey perfect. Just loving your photography my friend!! You even make me want to eat a donut ;-) We have a pillow top mattress. Pros/cons of course. The one thing is that you can’t flip it you can only rotate it. So it definitely seems to have sinking spots – if that makes sense. But it is comfy.

Lindsay @ Lindsay's List — November 27, 2011 at 1:33 pm

i’m thinking the oats in these make them healthy. right?

tweal — November 27, 2011 at 1:36 pm

Oh. My. Goodness. I can’t wait to try these bars! Thank you for inventing them, I just know they will be divine.

Rebecca @ Naturally Healthy and Gorgeous — November 27, 2011 at 2:17 pm

I really need to try your granola bars. They always look so delish and I need healthy snacks to take to work.

Kath — November 27, 2011 at 2:26 pm

Love the name of these!!

Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries — November 27, 2011 at 2:32 pm

Oh my goodness, these look heaven sent! All my favorite things in one bar? Yes please!

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — November 27th, 2011 at 2:53 pm

One of the pics I had the word dreamy or heavenly on it..but took it off b/c I didnt want to sound too corny. LOL

Sally @ Spontaneous Hausfrau — November 27, 2011 at 2:35 pm

Seriously, I think you have absolutely OUTDONE yourself with these. They look beyond sinful!

Katie — November 27, 2011 at 2:45 pm

WOW just WOW! I think the amazing pics you take of food, make it even more drool worthy!

Thank you for the yoga mat feedback too! <3

Kristi @lifesprinkles.com — November 27, 2011 at 2:48 pm

These look fantastic! I’m thinking I’m going to have to make them for my housewarming party in a few weeks!

Felicia (Natural + Balanced) — November 27, 2011 at 2:55 pm

wow. those look insaneeeeely delicious. can i just come be your neighbor and we can swap goodies all the time? hahaha seriously though, nice job!!

betty — November 27, 2011 at 3:31 pm

I love that they look so gooey on the inside!

Brooke — November 27, 2011 at 4:12 pm

On my way to Target in my PJ’s to get the ingredients…

Seriously.

Brooke

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin — November 27, 2011 at 4:45 pm

These look amazing! I’m collecting recipes to make for my friends for the holidays, and these are perfect! :D

My current favourite dessert are Nanaimo bars – I just made some yesterday and ate my first Nanaimo bar ever. It was pure bliss!

Pure2raw twins — November 27, 2011 at 5:57 pm

yum! love the name pillowtop :)

Karen — November 27, 2011 at 6:18 pm

Your notes say to make this GF to use a GF cake mix. I think you meant to use GF oats….

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — November 27th, 2011 at 10:18 pm

Whoops. Fixed. That’s what happens when I have too many ideas all in my head at once :)

Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit — November 27, 2011 at 6:44 pm

Oh wow, these look delicious, Averie! They look gooey and sweet and delicious! I think you did a great job coming up with the perfect name!

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — November 27th, 2011 at 10:18 pm

Thanks for the compliments and on the name, too. They really are pretty pillow-ey :)

Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers — November 27, 2011 at 6:46 pm

I love these bars, and I see it’s a simple on pan recipe! :) My OMG, must have that makes me go Ahhh is Peanut Butter! Oh man, I love the stuff and I never used to, just this past year I fell in love with it. I make it weekly!!

Your funny, about Pillow topper question, I didn’t see that question coming. I use a Pillow Topper on my bed, and I love it! I love I can take it to the laundry mat and wash it! You can’t do that on a regular pillow top mattress.

Lindsay @ biking before bed — November 27, 2011 at 6:58 pm

I love the name of these! So creative. I could literally eat sweetened condensed milk by the spoonful.

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — November 27th, 2011 at 10:17 pm

“I could literally eat sweetened condensed milk by the spoonful.” <– then you HAVE to make these b/c the sweet cond milk taste is pretty prominent. You will be in heaven.

And thanks again for linking up my Butterfingers :)

Kara — November 27, 2011 at 7:13 pm

Mmmm! These look incredible! Thanks so much for the recipe, will be making soon!

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — November 27th, 2011 at 10:16 pm

LMK how they turn out if you make them!

And adorable guinea pig on your current post!

• Kara replied: — December 2nd, 2011 at 2:28 pm

Thank youuuu! <3

Naomi(onefitfoodie) — November 27, 2011 at 7:15 pm

HOLY SMOKES! those look amazingly delicious. I love that you always give so many options for people with your recipes…lots of subsitutions and other things that people can add or subtract to make it fit their desires…although I will gladly take pretty much anything that comes out of your kitchen!

what make sme say ahh is peanut butter oatmeal chocolate chip cookies! and blondie bars that are DOUGHY mmm

did I mention how amazing your cranberry sauce was? SUCH A HIT!

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — November 27th, 2011 at 10:15 pm

Oh I am glad the cranberry chutney was a hit. Makes me feel great!! :)

Thanks for noticing, too, that I give options and substitutions. I try. I never want someone to not make something of mine b/c they don’t have one little ingredient which could likely be omitted or subbed for something else anyway.

xo

Laura @ GFPantry — November 27, 2011 at 7:32 pm

YUM! I am going to try these with GF oats. What gorgeous pictures!

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — November 27, 2011 at 8:07 pm

I am amazed at how you can come up with the ideas for all of these delicious looking bars! I plan on making a few of your recipes in December!!!

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — November 27th, 2011 at 10:13 pm

Thanks and LMK if you make anything and thank you for ALL the amazing comments you’ve been leaving me all weekend. You are so sweet :)

Stacy @ Say It With Sprinkles — November 27, 2011 at 8:18 pm

Your recipes are really building up in my favorite recipe bookmark tab, haha! And of course, here are a few more I’ll be adding…it’s a good thing cookie season is here!

Katie — November 27, 2011 at 8:49 pm

Are you a fan of white chocolate, dark chocolate, peanut butter, vanilla, marshmallows? <- Um, duh. YES!

You know what's funny is that those pumpkin peanut butter bars actually look healthy next to the rest of these desserts. :)

Gooey. That's my kind of dessert.

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — November 27th, 2011 at 10:12 pm

I know, right. Gotta love the comparisons. I wish wish wish you were here to try these. They are probably my newest fave dessert.

Michaela — November 27, 2011 at 9:21 pm

I bet you are by far the most popular mom when it comes to Skylar´s playdates, right??
    As always, these bars look absolutely delicious!

Deborah — November 27, 2011 at 9:56 pm

Oh my goodness – all of my favorite things rolled into one bar! Delish!

nicole marie — November 28, 2011 at 1:57 am

these bars are absolutely beautiful! x

Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar — November 28, 2011 at 4:26 am

I’m in love! These sound so dreamy :)

Erica — November 28, 2011 at 4:34 am

Your bars are always so gorgeous! I am baking today and these make me even more excited about it ;). Thank you- as always- for your amazing comments. They make me smile!

1. Are you a fan of white chocolate, dark chocolate, peanut butter, vanilla, marshmallows? What makes you say…ahhhh….What’s your current favorite dessert? I used to not like white chocolate at all. Now I really like it in certain desserts. Dark chocolate is my favorite (of the chocolates). Current favorite dessert? It it odd to say soy mistos/cafe au laits?

2. Ever tried a pillowtop topper for your mattress or have a mattress with a pillowtop that’s attached? We have one thats attached. Its ridiculous awesome

Rachel @ The Avid Appetite — November 28, 2011 at 7:24 am

Averie, this looks simply amazing! I love the pillowtopness (can we create that new word? :) ). My husband and I did have a pillowtop mattress and it wasn’t great. We recently got a new one from our warranty! Hope you had a great Thanksgiving & weekend!

Katie — November 28, 2011 at 8:25 am

I love any recipe where you can just throw stuff in and it is successful. These look perfect!

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — November 28th, 2011 at 11:23 am

Yes, liberal substitutions are fine…peanut butter chips for white chocolate chips, almond butter for peanut butter..that type of thing would be fine, I’m sure :)
      ‘,

Kris | iheartwellness.com — November 28, 2011 at 8:30 am

Ooooooo MYYYYY G!!! Ok, dollface, you’re killing me over here!!!! I could eat these till the cows come home with no flour in them!!! These look amazing! Do you make all this stuff up off the top of your gorgeous noggin??? You need to make a book…and ebook and sell it!

xxoo

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — November 28th, 2011 at 11:22 am

Thanks for the compliments, sweetie! Yes, I make it all up. I start dreaming, looking over old recipes, pulling things out of the cabinets, and hoping for the best :) Thanks for the encouragement!

Rachel @ Not Rachael Ray — November 28, 2011 at 8:58 am

These look so delicious! The texture looks amazing.

Amber K — November 28, 2011 at 10:18 am

Okay you had me with the first mention of white chocolate. Dark chocolate is not my thing, but man I can go to town on some white chocolate. Your bars are awesome! I never used to be a big bar fan, it was all about cookies and ooh, brownies! – which I guess are technically bar-shaped. But you have taken things to a whole other level!

jackie @ marin mama cooks — November 28, 2011 at 11:29 am

Hi Averie. I am a DARK chocolate fan!!! Give me a chocolate cake with chocolate frosting and I am in utter bliss. I’m actually making dark chocolate cookies today with dark chocolate chips. Yummy!

BTW, I do love how you create all your yummy desserts. That requires talent as baking is a science. Kudos to you!

Jackie :)

Liz @ IHeartVegetables — November 28, 2011 at 11:32 am

This look absolutely AMAZING!

Sarah from 20somethingcupcakes — November 28, 2011 at 11:46 am

I love the look of the chocolate chips scattered across the top. Nice contrast!

Christin@purplebirdblog — November 28, 2011 at 1:02 pm

Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamn. I bet the marshmallow/PB combo is perfect!! They look so smooth and creamy… my mouth is super watering over here!

Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen — November 28, 2011 at 1:32 pm

I need to remember to not come here when I’m hungry! lol Now I want one of each of those bars!

Lauren — November 28, 2011 at 6:09 pm

These look amazing… and simple enough for me to try with my students! I teach high school special ed and we are always looking for forgiving recipes to try with them.

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — November 28th, 2011 at 6:12 pm

My mom taught special ed for 30 years. My hat is off to you, my friend.

I have lots of no-bake desserts in my dessert recipes tab that may be even easier. These are really good but there are a few bowls and steps, not hard by any stretch, but I have other ones too. Whatever you make, you are amazing for cooking with your students :)