Rosemary Chipotle Roasted Almonds

What’s the quickest way to get my husband into the kitchen and asking me, “What are you making?”

Easy.

Roast some nuts.

I’ve never seen someone get so excited over roasted nuts, but he does.

And yes, there are many jokes that could be told with all this nut talk.  So go ahead and make your mental jokes and chuckle to yourself every time you see the word nuts.  We’re all on the same wavelength but l’ll keep things G-Rated in print.

I get much more excited over these cookies baking, but I have the sweet tooth and he has the savory tooth.

And his savory palate got down with some nuts.

For the recipe I was inspired by Amy of Adventures in Marriage’s recipe after seeing them on her blog.  I was assigned her blog for this month’s Secret Recipe Club assignment.

I decided to add chipotle seasoning to the recipe and played with the spice blend a bit.  I also used almonds that had already been smoked to add flavor depth.

Plus, I was making these for Scott and he loves a good smoked nut.  G-Rated, remember.

[print_this]

Rosemary Chipotle Roasted Almonds (Vegan; Gluten, Soy, & Dairy Free)

1 tbsp olive oil

1 tsp chipotle seasoning (for a salt-free blend I like Mrs. Dash Southwest Chipotle)

1 tbsp fresh rosemary, finely chopped + pinch more after roasting

pinch cayenne or chili powder, to taste

pinch salt, to taste

pinch black pepper, to taste

1 c almonds (I used smoked but raw, roasted, salted, plain, smoked; use what you have and prefer)

Directions: Preheat oven to 325F.  Combine all ingredients except for the almonds in a bowl and mix.  Add the almonds to the oil and spice mixture, and toss to combine.  Spread almonds in a single layer on a parchment, foil, or Silpat-lined cookie sheet (for easier cleanup) and roast for 15-20 minutes until lightly toasted, or until desired toasting and browning level is reached.  Allow to cool slightly and serve.  Top with a pinch more of finely chopped rosemary after roasting, if desired.  Will keep in an airtight container or jar for week(s).

Double, triple, or quadruple recipe as desired if making for a party or making extra in advance for leftovers, snacks and lunch boxes, for gifts, etc.

[/print_this]

These would make great holiday gifts because they’re easy and inexpensive but I find that most people prefer homemade gifts.  Especially homemade gifts of food.

And around the holidays who doesn’t love a good nut?

The malls seem to capitalize on this because when I’m doing my holiday shopping, the aroma of nuts wafting through the air is pretty intoxicating.  I am always tempted to drop my Bath & Bodyworks sprays, get out of that ridiculously long Victoria’s Secret line because I really don’t need more flannel pajamas anyway, and race off to the nut roasting stand and get my mitts on some nuts.  Either that or a Cinnabon Donut.

If I keep buttering Scott up with the roasted nuts, maybe he’ll buy me a Kitchen Aid stand mixer.

That way I can butter myself up with baking and dessert making.  That’s my master plan anyway.

I’ll let you know if it works.

And yes, it was nutter-riffic taking pictures of these roasted nuts.  <– Do you like a side of cheeseball with your nuts?  I apparently do.

The last nutty shots I took were at Food & Light and taking these pictures brought back really fond memories of that trip and workshop.

1. Do you like nuts?  What kind and how do you like them?

I love cashews and peanuts.  I am so-so about almonds but I’m not picky.  I could sit down with a bag of Trader Joe’s mixed nuts, a jar of Planter’s Peanuts, whatever, and go to town.

I love cinnamon and sugar roasted nuts, honey roasted nuts, or spicy nuts like these chili and lime ones.  Oh, so good.

But I am not cut out for them so have to really watch the portion size.  They really do a number on me but Scott has a cast-iron stomach and inhaled the batch in record time.

2. Do you have more of a sweet tooth or a savory palate?

Sweet tooth all the way for me!

Give me a Nutter Butter Special K Bar (No Bake) any day over roasted nuts.

Have a great week!

110 Responses to “Rosemary Chipotle Roasted Almonds”

Kathryn — November 14, 2011 at 1:51 am

Love the photos in this post – so full of light! I’m not a huge nut person (there’s no greater way to ruin a chocolate in my opinion than to add nuts!) but I think the combination of spices in these could make them very addictive!

Tamizn — November 14, 2011 at 2:07 am

I love nuts every which way and those bad boys look sooooooooo good! ya man has good taste : )

lauren@spicedplate — November 14, 2011 at 2:40 am

These look so amazing — I love rosemary and happen to have a little pot of it growing…I wonder how this would be on pecans?
    I’m sort of addicted to nuts…I eat probably a cup of them every day — almonds, walnuts, and pecans are my usual treat…good fats and protein and so many other nutrients…you can’t go wrong! I like nuts IN my sweet baked goods — like pecans in pumpkin bread. It’s the best of both worlds!

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — November 14th, 2011 at 2:42 am

Try it..pecans, walnuts, cashews, peanuts..whatever you have or like. And a lil pot of rosemary? Nice!

lindsay — November 14, 2011 at 3:56 am

well i think i get just as excited as scott! the smell of roasted nuts makes me giddy. haha. Those look wonderful too, the rosemary is perfect!

Alyssa (Down To Earth) — November 14, 2011 at 4:13 am

These look scrumptious! I love the way you used the pine cones and rosemary, too – very rustic and festive!

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey — November 14, 2011 at 4:13 am

You have no idea how much I love rosemary. I have been putting it on everything!!!

Amelia — November 14, 2011 at 4:22 am

Oh man, those look so good! I might have to make some for the holidays.

I love ALL nuts. I guess if I had to pick a favorite, it would be cashews and almonds, but peanuts are amazing… I pick peanut butter. ;) I love them just as they are, but honey-roasted is delish, along with various other seasonings.

I have both a sweet and savory tooth… but probably more sweet, judging by how often I went to my kitchen last night for handfuls of puppy chow.

Erika - The Teenage Taste — November 14, 2011 at 4:23 am

I loooooove roasted nuts! I’m a sucker for any flavor/variety, but my absolute favorites are the cinnamon sugar and the salt and vinegar. Mmmmm!

katie @ KatieDid — November 14, 2011 at 5:06 am

I can see such an improvement in photos from that older one you shared to now! Awesome choice of seasonings, totally up my alley. Just last week I was munching on some habenero bbq almonds- but I’d much rather make my own!

Heather (Where's the Beach) — November 14, 2011 at 5:24 am

Oh those look incredible. Love the idea of the rosemary paired with the chipotle. And I like the idea of using already smoked almonds for more flavor. Those would make fantastic holiday gifts.

“And yes, it was nutter-riffic taking pictures of these roasted nuts. <– Do you like a side of cheeseball with your nuts? I apparently do." YES – love seeing the cheeseball side to you ;-)

marla — November 14, 2011 at 5:26 am

It is essential that I pin these now. Great clicks too!! I am in love with the rosemary Marcona almonds at TJ’s…now I can make them myself!

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — November 14th, 2011 at 11:42 am

You’re such a sweetheart and yes, make them yourself my dear…so easy. And a money saver!

amanda @ fake ginger — November 14, 2011 at 5:30 am

I’m with your husband – definitely prefer the savory over the sweet, and these look right up my alley!

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — November 14th, 2011 at 11:42 am

Thanks, Amanda…I would have never guessed b/c all your baked desserts and sweets always look so amazing!!!!

Amanda — November 14, 2011 at 5:31 am

I definitely have a sweet tooth and my husband prefers savory things. Each week I think about which recipes to blog about, and each week I have to make a conscious effort to include some savory things. I always gravitate towards sweets! It’ll be interesting to see how my blog evolves over time…perhaps it will be all desserts eventually. :)

These roasted almonds sound amazing. I love the addition of rosemary, especially around this time of the year when the weather is getting colder. And your photos are beautiful!

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — November 14th, 2011 at 11:41 am

I have to make SUCH a conscious effort to include some savory things, too. If I were to re-start my blog today, I would have chosen a dessert or a baking name for my blog and never bother with anything else. When I started it, had no idea…but yeah, today, it would be all desserts and baked stuff b/c I just have more fun with that. But the nuts are good :)

Katie — November 14, 2011 at 5:34 am

What a great flavor combo! I’m not a huge nut fan, but I love rosemary and I have the Mrs. Dash Chipotle. Bet it would be good on roasted veggies, too.

Scott can keep his nuts. Hehehe.

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — November 14th, 2011 at 11:40 am

The Mrs Dash Chipotle is great on all veggies…I sprinkle it on potatoes or any other veggie I am roasting…I have about 4 flavors of Mrs D open at one one time…really can’t go wrong!

Aimee @ ShugarySweets — November 14, 2011 at 5:38 am

Great photos! They look delish too!

Mai — November 14, 2011 at 5:42 am

beautiful pictures! i love the props . . . so christmas-y :)

kathleen @ the daily crumb — November 14, 2011 at 6:03 am

yum! i love these for homemade gifts of t-day appetizers.

i don’t really like nuts, especially in baked goods. no need for them to be all up in my carrot cake. BUT, a good roasted or candied nut, i am bound to enjoy.

and i am most definitely a sweet palate. i could take our leave a bag of potato chips all day, but put dessert in front of me and it’s over.

Rachel @ Not Rachael Ray — November 14, 2011 at 6:17 am

Yum! These look delicious, and such gorgeous photos! Love the commentary…I had the same problem when writing about cake balls.

Melissa | Dash of East — November 14, 2011 at 6:22 am

Yay! I’m in your Secret Recipe Group! How about that? :)

I’m with Scott on the savory thing too. I love baking sweets, but love eating all that is savory. These roasted almonds looks delicious. Beautiful photos too – loving the pine cones as props!

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — November 14th, 2011 at 11:38 am

We’re Food & Light buddies and SRC buddies. How ironic that I linked that pic of F & L and the nuts from our last day of class in this post ?!

Elle @thewaybyelle — November 14, 2011 at 6:34 am

Thanks for the roasted almonds recipe! I have been looking for a way to roast some almonds my mother gave me (20 lbs!). Your recipe looks yummy! The presentation in your pictures is beautiful too! The pine cones are a nice touch.

I hope you get a Kitchen Aid, too! I love mine. My husband got it on clearance because the beater was missing–but then we found it in the box! Lucky me!

Anna @ On Anna's Plate — November 14, 2011 at 6:40 am

Roasted nuts ALWAYS remind me of the holidays. These look perfect!

Bev Weidner — November 14, 2011 at 7:46 am

Keeping the joke to myself. TRYING. I’m being so good. SO good.

Those nuts looks awesome. SORRY.

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — November 14th, 2011 at 11:37 am

Glad to know you have a gutter mind. We’ll hit it off even better once we do meet up IRL one day :)
      xo

Gretchen — November 14, 2011 at 8:12 am

Yum, yum, yum! I love nuts and like either sweet or savory and also like both together!

Cat @Breakfast to Bed — November 14, 2011 at 8:19 am

He’s really glad that you aren’t roasting his. Just kidding. Those look so good. I love cumin and chipotle roasted cashews or salt and pepper pistachios.

Oh, and I love sweets. too much.

Rachel @ The Avid Appetite — November 14, 2011 at 8:42 am

there’s nothing quite like the smell of roasted nuts…these look and sound fantastic! Your photos are beautiful, as usual :) And I too love receiving homemade gifts…so unique and fun!

Lindsay @ Lindsay's List — November 14, 2011 at 8:49 am

Why do we ALL have minds of 4th graders?!?
    P.S. How do you join the Secret Recipe Club? Or is it a secret?

Miz Helen — November 14, 2011 at 9:39 am

What a perfect treat and just in time for the holiday entertaining season. This is a great pick for the SRC! Thanks for sharing and have a wonderful week.
    Miz Helen

Lauren (Diary of a Vegan Girl) — November 14, 2011 at 10:02 am

Your pictures are so getting me in the mood for winter!

Amber K — November 14, 2011 at 10:04 am

I really love almonds, but my body refuses to digest them. So I stick to peanuts and cashews. Honey roasted peanuts are the best! But that could be because I’m totally a sweets person. I hate salt and can’t tolerate much of it anyway, and am just not really down with savory stuff anyway.

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — November 14th, 2011 at 11:34 am

As I mentioned, I have to be realllllly careful too with too many nuts or my body is not happy with me. And we’re the same with salt, too.

Anna @ The Guiltless Life — November 14, 2011 at 10:26 am

I LOVE nuts! I add walnuts to my oatmeal every morning and love LARABARs and things with nuts in them, especially nut butters of course :). If I snack on any nuts, it’s almost always almonds (I love pistachios but have to have them salted and try to avoid too much sodium. Plus pistachios are just one thing I have no portion control around, so it’s safer for me to ignore them!).

ButterYum — November 14, 2011 at 10:28 am

I don’t think your photos could be any more tempting… and I’m not even a savory nut fan! Serious yumminess going on here!

I hope you’ll stop by and see my SRC post for Honey Vinaigrette Marinated Grilled Chicken.

ButterYum

Kaitlyn@TheTieDyeFiles — November 14, 2011 at 10:49 am

I love nuts. And nut butters. Rosemary is the boyfriend’s favorite herb! Perhaps he’ll get me a mixer if I make him these! Just kidding, he bought me a mixer last year. But perhaps I’ll get some awesome accessories. Or a dehydrator!

patsyk — November 14, 2011 at 10:55 am

Roasted nuts are a favorite at our house! These would also make a great food gift during the holidays. Yum!

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — November 14th, 2011 at 11:33 am

Yes I mentioned the gift idea in the post too because that’s what I was thinking. Easy DIY gift!

Emmy (Wine and Butter) — November 14, 2011 at 11:25 am

I love nuts but Im terrible at roasting them – they always burn – I think I need to pay closer attention. I am also an even bigger fan of nut butters and can easily call a jar of good almond butter and a spoon dinner (and I do mean a jar!). Only things it he nut butter HAS to be roasted. We learnt in my nutrition course to favour un-roasted but have you tried them!? BEYOND BLAND! your nuts look fabulous though!! xox

Christine @ Oatmeal in my Bowl — November 14, 2011 at 11:31 am

Great job on staging your photos. Looks awesome. Rosemary-chipotle…nice mix of flavors.

Misha — November 14, 2011 at 11:36 am

Check you out! Your photography is rockin!! looks fab

Naomi(onefitfoodie) — November 14, 2011 at 11:50 am

DEF more of a sweet palate when it comes to certain things, but then gain I also like savory. I am sort of unconventional though because I like things that ‘should’ be savory, sweet and teh other way around for instance I really dont care for ‘savory eggs’ meaning packed with veggies etc. I prefer my eggs with cinnamon, stevia + nutmeg YUM! those roasted almonds look so perfect for a little appetizer at a dinner party, I can tell they would be SO addicting! I am obsessed with your photos!!!

Char @ www.charskitchen.ca — November 14, 2011 at 12:12 pm

Mmmm I have yet to try making my own nuts at home…maybe because it’s hard for me to keep my hand out of the bowl, and I get a sore tummy when I eat too many :P But they’re sooo tasty!

I like both sweet and savoury treats, though I think I tend to lean to more sweet. My breakfast often has chocolate in it, and I’m sure my coffee could be classified as a dessert all on its own :P

Mahealani @ Beauty, Brains, and Balance — November 14, 2011 at 12:40 pm

WOW! Your first photo is so stunning!!! The depth of field is perfect and the pine cone touches are wonderful. You definitely internalized everything from the F&L conference.

I have a hard time digesting nuts so I’m not that into them, but if I feel like a nut, I always go for almonds. And since rosemary is probably my favorite green woodsy herb, this is right up my alley!

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — November 14th, 2011 at 4:09 pm

Thank you so much for the photo compliments and for being specific about what you liked and what you thought worked. I love specific feedback, thank you!! :)

Ashley @ My Food 'N' Fitness Diaries — November 14, 2011 at 1:17 pm

I love, love, love nuts, hence also my love for nut butters. My favorites are definitely almonds and cashews. Peanuts are up there too. I am a huge fan of cinnamon and sugar roasted nuts and other sweet kinds. My sweet tooth will always win, I’m definitely more of a sweet lover. Don’t get me wrong, I love me some savory foods every so often, but I’ll always love sweets more.

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — November 14th, 2011 at 4:08 pm

Cinn & sugar nuts..well low and behold I just may have a recipe for that coming up :)

Christine (The Raw Project) — November 14, 2011 at 1:23 pm

These sound wonderful, they remind me of the rosemary almonds I sampled at the FoodBuzz fest. Great plating and props in the pics too.

I’m a huge nut fan, savory and sweet.

Stacy @ Say It With Sprinkles — November 14, 2011 at 1:28 pm

Oh my goodness, rosemary almonds sound amazing! I love them plain + raw, so roasted + seasoned would be so dangerous to have around, haha! =)

Melanie — November 14, 2011 at 1:38 pm

What beautiful photos! Your nuts look absolutely delicious. Oh yeah, G-rated. Snicker.

Kalyn — November 14, 2011 at 1:46 pm

They photos make me want to grab a handful!

Alli — November 14, 2011 at 2:00 pm

These nuts definitely warrant a kitchen aid mixer! The combo sounds amazing and perfect for holiday gifts.

Amanda — November 14, 2011 at 2:06 pm

Photos are amazing, you get better and better every post. I used to love nuts and still like them occasionally, my problem usually is once I start eating them I cant quit. These look wonderful!!

amy — November 14, 2011 at 3:40 pm

So glad that you liked them! The chipotle is a great idea; I’ve been thinking about making these as a Thanksgiving appetizer and will have to try that version.

Emily — November 14, 2011 at 4:14 pm

Oh wow, these look so delicious! Definitely bookmarking these for later :)

Natalie — November 14, 2011 at 4:20 pm

Great almond recipe!! I must try it out.

Louisa [Living Lou] — November 14, 2011 at 4:39 pm

You had me sold on the Rosemary but with added Chipotle these are just perfect. Definitely bookmarking these! Great choice for this month’s SRC!