Thanksgiving Menu

In less than 48 hours, the big will gorge-fest Day of Thanks will be upon us.  Some people get nervous when cooking for an event or for a group of people, rightfully so, but since it’s just the three of us for Thanksgiving, there’s no one to get nervous for and I’m also going to try not to make enough food to feed an army.

I’ll be making:

Turkey and Stuffing with mixed vegetables.  Same as I did last year.

Possibly some Mango Ginger Maple Tofu

Ginger roasted sweet and white potato fries

Cranberry & Orange Ginger Mango Chutney.  The potatoes and the chutney will both have ginger and I think will pair nicely.

And I should make up some more Caramel Pumpkin Whip Dip

Scott would love a batch of Rosemary Chipotle Roasted Almonds.  The rosemary from the nuts would complement the rosemary I plan use on the turkey.

Dessert will not be a Vegan/GF No-Bake Pumpkin Pie

It may be Pumpkin Peanut Butter Oatmeal Bars (Vegan, GF)

Or I may hit up my freezer stash of treats…

like Stuffed Dark Chocolate Chococlate-Chip Cookies

Or make Caramel Apple Bars (GF with Vegan adaptations)

Or be totally non-traditional and make Baked Chocolate Peanut Butter Donuts with Vanilla Peanut Butter Glaze

I’m all about breaking bread breaking traditions at times.

If you need a roundup of Thanksgiving Recipes, the one Jessica put together is amazingly comprehensive and if this is your kind of holiday and your menu is still not set in stone, that’s the ticket.

What’s on your menu for the holidays?  What’s a must-have or something you just can’t wait to have?

Are you cooking or just helping out with the eating part?

I’ve mentioned before that Thanksgiving food doesn’t really excite me.  I despise stuffing, I don’t eat turkey, I am not a big fan of mashed potatoes and gravy; it’s just not my thing.  But it’s definitely Scott’s thing and he excited for his big feast.

His eyes lit up when I told him yes, don’t worry, I am cooking.  Every year he thinks I may not cook because I’m not going to eat most of it.  I’ll help eat the dip and dessert but the rest of it, it’s all his.

I like to cook and I like to make him happy.  And Skylar will eat anything, she’s easy; seeing the joy that a home-cooked meal gives the two of them is well worth it.  That’s what I am thankful for:  My family, cooking for them and we have food on our table, that we’re healthy and have a roof over our heads, and that we’re together.  That’s what matters most to me.  Not really the food.

Ok, the desserts matter.

I really don’t want leftovers for ages so am not going to go too overboard with things.  It’s all for Scott and a four year old:  Turkey, stuffing, potatoes and gravy, vegetables, nuts, a dip, dessert.  That’s plenty!

Happy Thanksgiving!

Thanks for the Reusable Bamboo Bottle Giveaway entries!

57 Responses to “Thanksgiving Menu”

Heather (Where's the Beach) — November 22, 2011 at 4:46 pm

LOL not a T-day food fan either even more so b/c my dang bday always got “celebrated” on T-day. Whooopeeee (rolling eyes). The one unique thing is that my dad’s side (Italian) always does spaghetti and meatballs. While I don’t do meatballs any longer, he does make sauce just for me.

I’ll be finally, for the first time ever hosting my mom for Thanksgiving. For me, this is huge b/c I can finally make everything I want. Screw the dressing, screw the potatoes ;-)

Bev Weidner — November 22, 2011 at 4:49 pm

I’ll be doin’ the eating! Well, and maybe chopping an onion or something, but mostly eating!

Have a wooonderful break!

Alex@Spoonful of Sugar Free — November 22, 2011 at 5:05 pm

Can I come to your meal??? I’ll bring the sweet taters!

Sophie — November 22, 2011 at 5:13 pm

I’m making your rosemary chipotle almonds for a Thanksgiving appetizer :) I’m feeding a bunch of male Marines so we’ll see how they like it! hehe

J3nn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) — November 22, 2011 at 5:23 pm

Your menu sounds tasty and fun! This year, we stepped out of our comfort zone and ordered a smoked turkey pre-cooked online and a cheesecake from the Cheesecake Factory. They’re both supposed to be delivered tomorrow–supposedly. Hopefully. :)

The rest will be all traditional carb overloading. Potatoes and stuffing and sweet potatoes and string beans and bread and whatever else fits on the table. May need to annex the coffee tables to feed a family of 3 and my mom isn’t much bigger than Skylar, haha.

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — November 22nd, 2011 at 5:59 pm

I live one mile from the CCFactory! Wish I could just pick one up for you! And I love the “traditional carb overloading” and annex the coffee table…you need to write a book or something. Seriously girl. You crack me up!

kathleen @ the daily crumb — November 22, 2011 at 5:25 pm

can i have thanksgiving at your house, please?! i’m literally dying over those stuffed cookies (um, not to mention the donuts).

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — November 22nd, 2011 at 5:58 pm

I’d love to have you. I commented below you on Heab’s blog re Maggiano’s. That place…so many memories of the OakBrook Mag’s for me back in the day!

Rachel @ Not Rachael Ray — November 22, 2011 at 5:28 pm

It all looks great! Loved Jessica’s round-up too. I’m working Thanksgiving so I’m doing a mini-one for hubs and I and baby tomorrow. I bought turkey legs so I don’t have to cook a whole turkey :) Then we’ll do the big family thing later. Have a terrific Thanksgiving Averie!

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — November 22nd, 2011 at 5:58 pm

I think you were probably featured in her roundup…all your eats are great.

Happy TG to you and your fam!

Brooke — November 22, 2011 at 5:42 pm

I’ll be arriving at 4:00! ;)

Brooke

Marcia @Frugal Healthy Simple — November 22, 2011 at 6:54 pm

Well, I just got over a month of bronchitis and now I have a cold. SO I have no energy for anything, and I turned down 2 invites.

We’re roasting a chicken on a bed of root veggies, my spouse is making his grandpa’s famous cornbread stuffing, and I’m steaming some green beans. That’s all we’ve got energy for. I will be napping all weekend.

Gina @ Running to the Kitchen — November 22, 2011 at 7:42 pm

I’m somehow making 3 side dishes tomorrow (and working a full day among a million other errands!) for the big day. My parents are hosting but we’re all trying to help out more than usual since my mom is working tomorrow and has to work early the next morning. Hosting is tiresome!
    I love the look of that chutney!

Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers — November 22, 2011 at 8:12 pm

You sound like me. I never cared for Thanksgiving. You spend all day in the kitchen, so people can scarf down the food in 5 minutes. This year it’s my Husband and I, and he brought home a 10lbs. Turkey for the two of us, is he kidding me? He wants mashed potatoes and gravy, but not me, not my thing. The problem e have is I want sweet potato’s, butternut squash and stuffing. He just wants jellied cranberry sauce, regular mashed potatoes and the dam turkey that takes how many hours to make? It’s a pain in my butt! I told him I want to go out, and he said but your in the kitchen all the time. Yah, I am, making things I like and quick things to, well except those darn cupcakes. lol So I feel yah! I’ll be thinking of you when I have my dessert and wine. Oh and get this, he doesn’t want dessert. What the heck? Who doesn’t want dessert, I don’t get why I married him.

Emily — November 22, 2011 at 8:37 pm

I want everything you’re making! It all sounds so good. Especially the donuts. :) I hope you and your family have a good Thanksgiving!

Katie — November 22, 2011 at 8:37 pm

My family is just sticking with traditional, we’re each bringing something – my contribution is the Shepherd’s Pie with mashed cauliflower topping and cranberry sauce. The sauce is all me, because I’m the only one who likes it. :D

I remember when you posted about the turkey a couple years ago (was it that long ago?!?) and I remember thinking that it was awesome that a vegan was making her husband a gorgeous turkey. I know you aren’t vegan anymore, but it is still awesome!

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — November 23rd, 2011 at 1:27 am

Yes it was 2009! Crazy, huh! Time flies. Don’t know what I’d do without you :)

“I remember thinking that it was awesome that a vegan was making her husband a gorgeous turkey.” <– thank you :)

Char @ www.charskitchen.ca — November 22, 2011 at 8:47 pm

Ooohhh I definitely love my Thanksgiving meals! Obviously I make it vegan, but we already had our (Canadian) Thanksgiving in October. Dallas’ family came over, and I got to host a vegan/gluten-free meal! Tofurky was the only thing with gluten, but we had stuffing, mashed potatoes, gravy, homemade cranberry sauce, roasted yams & carrots, brussels sprouts, cheese sauce…and his momma brought a BEAUTIFUL homemade fruit salad with soy ice cream for dessert! :) I love sharing a home-cooked meal with family. Enjoy your Thanksgiving with Scott & Skylar! :)

Amy @ Chef Basket — November 22, 2011 at 10:40 pm

The Caramel Pumpkin Whip Dip looks amazing. I’d love to try that for Thanksgiving this Thursday.

Ela — November 22, 2011 at 11:19 pm

Have a lovely family time together! I know that lots of people prefer Thanksgiving to Christmas because it has that emphasis on family and togetherness.

I’m still in Israel tomorrow, just starting my trip home, so I miss ‘Thanksgiving” proper, but Phil’s bday is right after, so I’m sure we’ll be partying all over again…

Kristin @ STUFT Mama — November 23, 2011 at 12:22 am

Oh my goodness- I really want to come over for Thanksgiving! :) And I woudl like one of each of those desserts. :) he he! I’m getting off easy this year and only have to do a little side dish. :) I played the “toddler twin card”. :)

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — November 23rd, 2011 at 1:23 am

I’d be playing that card for more than just TG and cooking…as in, all the time…twins, hello…you’re BUSY! :)

nicole marie — November 23, 2011 at 12:42 am

mmm, pumpkin peanut butter oatmeal bars!!! they sound SCRUMPTIOUS! i’ll be preparing a tofurky with carrots and Quinoa Stuffed Acorn Squash with Balsamic Maple Glaze (taken from clean eating chelsey’s website, http://cleaneatingchelsey.com/2011/10/13/things-that-are-stuffed/).
    AND, most importantly, i’ll be enjoying fabulous francis ford coppola’s blanc de blancs! i wrote about THAT here . . . http://nicoleandgwendolyn.com/2011/11/19/thanksgiving-safety-4-intellectual-contribution/.
    happy thanksgiving!

Kathryn — November 23, 2011 at 1:19 am

Hope you guys all have a wonderful Thanksgiving! I will think of you tomorrow when I am stuck at work and you’re all having a holiday ;)

katie @ KatieDid — November 23, 2011 at 2:41 am

I did already post about my thanksgiving which we did early. We had all the classics and I helped make the spiked apple cider which was yum! And the following day and night we feasted on the leftovers, just like tradition. I hope you’re holiday is wonderful and relaxing with your fam!!

Alyssa (Down To Earth) — November 23, 2011 at 4:00 am

I had a “friendsgiving” this past weekend, and I hosted (which meant the bulk of the cooking was my duty – but that’s okay!). Among other dishes, I was most proud of my vegan maple mashed sweet potatoes…I’d never made them before in such a large batch and I was so scare they’d turn out to a big lumpy, sticky mess…but, it turned out wonderfully *whew*
    This REAL thanksgiving, though my mom is hosting and I’m just in charge of dessert. I have a secret weapon recipe ready to be unleashed: Vegan pumpkin pie with a brownie crust!

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — November 23rd, 2011 at 4:05 am

does you pie happen to be a variation of Angela/OSG’s? I have wanted to make her brownie/pumpkin pie for ages but haven’t yet. You have lucky guests whoever they are and whatever you’re making!

• Alyssa (Down To Earth) replied: — November 23rd, 2011 at 4:28 am

You’re good! It will be that recipe…or whatever comes out of what I try to make of it – haha. If it fails miserably, I’m going to your pumpkin peanut butter oat bars (which always get devoured!).
        Have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

Tasha @ Voracious Eats — November 23, 2011 at 4:23 am

Oooooh I wanna come to your house for Thanksgiving! Everything, and I really do mean everything, looks SO good!

Cody is leaving tonight for a week long business trip in India. Ughghghghg I miss him already. So instead of being on my lonesome for T day, I’m going to a friend’s for her big Thanksgiving party. I was asked to bring something for appetizers. Deviled eggs it is! They are super easy, and everyone always loves them – especially when I add my secret ingredient – pickled jalapenos! Sounds weird, but they are very delicious.

dragonmamma/naomi — November 23, 2011 at 4:29 am

Turkey, gravy, mashed potatoes, peas. No stuffing or breads, thankyouverymuch.
    Costco cheesecake (hubby’s choice) and cocoa coated almonds from Trader Joe’s for dessert.

Starting out the day at the junior college track for a 7:30am boot-camp, rain or shine! That should be good for an extra helping of mashed potatoes and gravy.

jackie @marin mama cooks — November 23, 2011 at 6:42 am

I love your remark about Scott being ready for his “big feast.” That made me chuckle! My hubby is the same way. I asked him if we could change things up a bit and eat something we all are craving and he said, “no way.” He likes the tradition of thanksgiving. I think thanksgiving fare is BORING! I do love my stuffing though.

Our menu is: Chestnut stuffing, roasted brussels sprouts with cauliflower & pomegranate seeds, green beans and shallots, mashed potatoes with gravy, turkey, homemade cranberry sauce, and my hubby’s apple pie. I am going to make up some dark chocolate bark with almonds for another sweet indulgence and some tangerine bundt cake for breakfast for the kiddies :)

Have a wonderful Thanksgiving :)

Amanda — November 23, 2011 at 7:30 am

Have a Happy Thanksgiving!! Your menu looks good as always!! I will be eating all of the traditional holiday fare. I have been working too much to cook up anything. I am just glad my Bday didnt fall on turkey day, I hate that but it will get me next year.

Angela@veggievinyasa — November 23, 2011 at 7:48 am

Going to Florida to dine with my family. My mom’s excited to try some new healthier recipes instead of the usual heavy American fare. We’re swapping green bean casserole for green bean almondine and a few other fresher picks.

Lindsay @ biking before bed — November 23, 2011 at 9:25 am

Glad to hear I am not the only one who isn’t a huge fan of Thanksgiving food. I love the cranberry sauce and the pies:) not a gravy or stuffing fan at all. Have a wonderful holiday.

Lindsay @ Lindsay's List — November 23, 2011 at 9:37 am

Just helping with the eating part! I’m looking forward to it ALL!!

Jen — November 23, 2011 at 9:59 am

All your options look delicious!!! I’m cooking and eating! I’m a fan of the family get togethers at Thanksgiving – getting in the spirit of things!

Kris | iheartwellness.com — November 23, 2011 at 10:26 am

Hey Dollface!!! Nice looking set up you got there!! We had our Thanksgiving in Oct, so no good food for me coming up :( I’ll just drool over here…but I’m def making soo many of these LV&Y treats for Christmas. SWOON!

xxoo

Amber K — November 23, 2011 at 10:32 am

I’m really not a fan of Thanksgiving. All of the traditional foods are just not tasty to me. I’m still trying to figure out how to do it now that I pretty much can’t eat anything due to my various food intolerances. I can’t decide whether to just eat at home (like I did last year when I was brand new at being gluten-free) or if I should just make my own versions of a bunch of different dishes and just bring a portion for me. Or to make just one thing to share and get to eat only that while everyone else gets to eat a ton of other stuff. Yeah, I’m apparently a bit bitter as I attempt to figure out this new holiday process! But I’ll figure it out.

Kaitlyn@TheTieDyeFiles — November 23, 2011 at 11:16 am

I’m cooking up a stuffed seitan roast (just came out of the oven), some vegan mashed taters, gravy, and a vegan pumpkin cheesecake to bring along. Happy Thanksgiving!

Amelia — November 23, 2011 at 11:25 am

Interesting that you’re doing the bars over the pie. I love the bars, but the pie is just right for me on Thanksgiving. I should probably whip together some of those almonds, too. :)

I will definitely be having chickpea cutlets, sweet potatoes, the wild rice stuffing from Ohsheglows, some sort of greenbean dish, and vegan pumpkin icecream pie! Can’t wait to get home later to start cooking.

Moni'sMeals — November 23, 2011 at 11:30 am

ALL of these recipes look AMAZING Averie! I am COOKING and EATING non stop. SO FUN! Our husbands are so lucky, haha!

Happy Thanksgiving!!

Christine (The Raw Project) — November 23, 2011 at 7:16 pm

I’ve never been a big fan of traditional Thanksgiving food either, especially the cheap, canned versions of the recipes – ick! I’m making a few vegan recipes and the PB pie from Mama Pea’s book this year, no traditional pumpkin pie either. :-)

Stacy @ Say It With Sprinkles — November 23, 2011 at 10:42 pm

Yum! I especially love the dessert selection! =)

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — November 25, 2011 at 9:33 pm

Since Canadian Thanksgiving was a while ago, nothing is on my holiday menu … but I definitely have a list of things to make in December.

Frances — November 26, 2011 at 2:39 pm

I’m a relatively new reader- not that I haven’t seen your blog before, just that I am only now finding the time to reply to your posts! In the last 5 or 6 years, I’ve eaten pretty non-traditional Thanksgiving meals, but I always love the smell of the usual mashed-potatoes-and-gravy fare. Since you don’t eat turkey or stuffing, what do you cook for supper that day for yourself?

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — November 26th, 2011 at 2:54 pm

Whatever is easy and I feel like…usually a salad with tofu, edamame, cranberries, carrots, and dessert.