Thursday Things

Time for a few Thursday Things.  A few eye-catching and noteworthy items this week include:

1. This Latte Coffee Maker.  Not that I need this.  I have this which has been sitting in a box since our last move.  But something about that perfect looking latte makes me want that latte maker.  And reminds me that I should just unpack the one I have.

2. This handcrafted Copper Party Bucket from Anthro.  Towels, linens, cheap beer, lint, oranges and apples.  You name it, I’d love to put it in that bucket.

3. Vintage Tapestry Boots.  I could store these over-priced boots in the over-priced copper bucket.  Yes, good idea.  300 for the bucket + 600 for the boots = me and my coppery boot fantasies can keep dreaming.

4. Skylar’s Spanish is officially better than mine.  She asks me to make a chonga for her or fix her chonga if it gets messy.  Her teachers speak Spanish and she’s a little sponge soaking up it all up.

When she counts to twenty in Spanish, she sounds authentic with proper dialect and a proper accent.  Not like my gringo-ey Spanish sounds.  She laughs at me when I butcher the words.  My four year old laughs at me.  But that’s okay she’ll always be my little princess.

5. I got my hair done earlier in the week.  Thank God for freshened up highlights.

6. My stylist used this Oribe leave-in conditioner on my hair.  (Pronounced Or-BAY, not O-reeb-ay.  I didn’t know that either.)

Yesterday I mentioned that when I was in high school extra frosting at Cinnabon was a great use of .50 cents.

If I shifted the decimal two places to the right, I could buy the Oribe.  I really loved the smell, the feel, the oooh-la-la my hair is happy feeling.  Luxury in a bottle and I loved what that pea-sized amount did for my hair.  I could probably make that bottle last year(s) because you only need a tiny amount.  How’s that for rationalizing it.  However, I should probably just stick with my Drugstore Top 10 items because everything is under $5 bucks.

7.  I was running through my neighborhood and smelled the scent of a fire burning and Nag Champa burning.  It was wafting through the air and I was in heaven for that tenth of a mile.  I almost rang the doorbell and asked if I could please move in.  That and I wanted to buy a plane ticket to an ashram in India.

8. There’s one more day to win a $25 gift card

9. I’d love it if you would vote for me here in the Delta/Biscoff Bakeoff

10. And the best thing I’ve eaten in the past day has been the Cinnamon Bun Donuts with Cream Cheese Glaze.  Sticky, messy, gooey.

And calorie free <– Sure

1. Have you seen any things lately that have you excited?  Food, products, people, places, trips?  What are your things?

Pinterest is my second home of things I love.  I love that site.

2. When you’re walking, running, or outside in general do you ever smell things wafting through the air that you adore?   Or loathe?

Sometimes I’ll smell what other people are cooking and it smells good.  Pizza, cookies, Mexican food, Asian food, bread.   I love the smell of fires burning, incense, and candles.  I live amidst so many restaurants there is always something interesting wafting through the air.

Sometimes I’ll smell things that are a turnoff.  I really don’t like the smell of meat on charcoal grills.  Or garlic.  I tend to run much faster on those blocks.

Have a great day!

44 Responses to “Thursday Things”

cathy — November 3, 2011 at 3:20 am

i hear you on kids + picking up accents. my little niece is in french immersion kindergarten and her accent is a delight. i didn’t start french til grade 6 (and went on to become a french teacher) and she puts my accent to shame, already. it is SO CUTE to hear her speak – as i am sure it is with skylar, too.
    in my ‘hood there is a beer brewery and the smell is quite pronounced some days. not my favourite scent. i much prefer when bread bakery scents are in the air!

Alyssa (Down To Earth) — November 3, 2011 at 3:26 am

My boyfriend and I burn Nag Champa and Patchouli incense all the time…it has such an earthy, calming smell.
    The only time I really could run outside was when I was younger and living at my parent’s house. We lived in the country surrounded by farms. So, to say the least, the smells were not always pleasant (Cow poop and chicken poop). The smells were not a constant, but the beautiful views were.
    I hope to live in the country again some day :)

Claire @ Un Bello Aperitivo — November 3, 2011 at 3:45 am

I love that Skylar is learning Spanish! Sometimes it makes me a little bit jealous on how fast kids can pick up other languages.

I love running past bakeries in the morning, with the scent of freshly baked bread. That or the smell of campfires/fireplaces.

Sweet and Savvy — November 3, 2011 at 3:48 am

Yea I need that coffee maker and those donuts in my life!! :)

Katie @ Raisins&Apples — November 3, 2011 at 4:56 am

I’m not so big on smells, especially while running! The worst is running past the fish and chips shop…or someone who’s smoking

Erica — November 3, 2011 at 5:10 am

Hey girl :) Love this post! I am getting my hair done today! Heavennnnnnnn! Especially after both myself and my baby have been super sick this week. I’m ready to just sit, relax and read junky magazines. That latte maker does look awesome. As do your donuts. You know I voted! When I run, I love the smell of honeysuckle.

Heather (Where's the Beach) — November 3, 2011 at 5:18 am

Oh love that bucket – it’s so pretty. I hate running and smelling someone cooking bacon in the morning. Just turns my stomach. Pinterest is just awesome. Love all off the incredible photos, inspiration, etc.

Brooke — November 3, 2011 at 5:31 am

Oh those donuts…

Love.

Brooke

Gina @ Running to the Kitchen — November 3, 2011 at 5:45 am

This is going to sound weird but I can’t stand when I’m running past people’s houses around dinner time and I smell it cooking. I’m not talking about the smell of a grill or something (that’s a delicious smell) but the smell of nasty, dinner-y, processed (I’m making a generalization here) crap smell. I don’t even know how to describe it other than gross. Ew.
    btw-I love that Skylar is learning Spanish. I majored in Spanish in college and WISH I had been taught at a young age. Starting kids on a foreign language in 8th grade is too late!

Katie — November 3, 2011 at 5:48 am

I WANT that latte maker!! Pinterest is basically my second home these days. The internet is just full of so much awesomeness and its a great place to store ideas for everything. Or just funny stuff.

I used to run on the sorority/fraternity street in college. I always smelled things while running, but most made me want to gag. Bacon/old spilled beer in the morning, bugers/grill smells in the evening. I don’t think anything smells good while I’m outside exercising.

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — November 3rd, 2011 at 12:43 pm

I still run by tons of bars and you can smell the spilled beer and just general scent of a bar when running by it. There are some bars that have been around since the 1950s or 1970s, same buildings…and I swear, I can smell those 1/2 a block away. Just that unmistakeable beer smell. And the cigg smell that’s engrained in them, too. Even tho it’s all smoke-free now, none of it’s truly gone forever. You can still smell it.

kathleen @ the daily crumb — November 3, 2011 at 6:00 am

i’m loving that latte maker! we have a keurig that i swear by, but it’s getting a little old. i could definitely use an upgrade.

i usually go for my long-er runs on sunday mornings and always smell bacon coming from one house in particular. it is right at the end of the run and motivates me to get home quickly for breakfast!

Holly @ The Runny Egg — November 3, 2011 at 6:23 am

I too am just hooked on Pinterest — and poor Jason has to hear about all these neat things I saw on there.

Near my running trail is a bakery — and every Sat morning during my long runs I get to smell their delicious bread! It sure makes me hungry but I look forward to smelling it. There is nothing like smelling freshly baked bread!

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — November 3rd, 2011 at 12:40 pm

I used to try to tell Scott about it all…things like Pinterest and he’s like, huh? He is still amazed by all the ways people can find things these days.

Cat @Breakfast to Bed — November 3, 2011 at 7:37 am

I want that bucket like I want rid of my stretch marks.

Anna @ On Anna's Plate — November 3, 2011 at 7:45 am

There is a house in our neighborhood that has the BEST smelling flowers– jasmine, even in the fall!! I love running (well, now walking) by it and breathing it in :-)

Deborah — November 3, 2011 at 8:17 am

I want one of those donuts right now!! And I always think it’s cruel when I’m out running and I smell people cooking things. Especially burgers on the grill. :)

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — November 3rd, 2011 at 12:32 pm

I sent you those questions over the weekend…just wanted to make sure you got them. If you need anything, email me!

Bev Weidner — November 3, 2011 at 8:38 am

We burn Nag Champa every. single. day.

it’s my absolute favorite smell!

but I don’t have dreads or anything.

Katie — November 3, 2011 at 8:40 am

I’m not sure if I actually voted… I clicked on the link but couldn’t find a “vote” button. Hmm…

• Amber K replied: — November 3rd, 2011 at 10:03 am

I couldn’t either today. Where’s it hiding?

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — November 3rd, 2011 at 12:37 pm

Ok it seems that the voting must be over…thanks for trying, too, Amber!

Anna @ The Guiltless Life — November 3, 2011 at 8:50 am

I never enjoy the smell of cooking onions. It does icks me right out…and now that I’ve been veggie for so long, I’m not a fan of the smell of cooking meat, it just is gross to me. So when I’m running and those come across my nose, it’s not fun!!

bakerbynature — November 3, 2011 at 9:02 am

I tend to keep my runs to the treadmill here in NYC… the smells of garbage are unfortunately what I most often am greeted with. But central park is really lovely to walk/run in, and last weekend between the fallen leaves and the crisp smell of Fall – it was heavenly to be outside.

Ps – we need to figure out a way to get those boots and bucket! Seriously.

AmandaRunsNY — November 3, 2011 at 9:35 am

OH gosh, New York is a virtual symphony of scents every day. Some good, some bad, and some very, very bad…depends on how hot it is and where I am. One smell I really love though is the smell of water – from a body of water like the ocean or a river, hence why I like to run by the water.

Also, I’m so jealous the way kids can just pick up a language like that. She’s going to be fluent in Spanish one day.

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — November 3rd, 2011 at 12:38 pm

Oh yes, NYC is such a symphony of scents. It makes my little corner of urban San Diego pale in comparison!

fartygirl — November 3, 2011 at 11:09 am

Those boots are freakin’ gorgeous. Not as gorgeous as your photos though. It’s been a while! Glad to see you are doing well!

Like you, I LOVE Nagchampa. It reminds me of one of my favorite boyfriends, who burned it all the time, and it reminds me of Salem, Mass. All the witchy stores love to burn it!

Lately, I’ve been building fires. That’s my new favorite thing to do! It’s also necessary, living in an old farmhouse with expensive oil heat.

Nice job on the doughnuts. You are really baking like a professional! When does Averie Sunshine’s breakfast shop open?! :-)

Kim @ Eat, Live, and Blog — November 3, 2011 at 11:13 am

I seriously need a donut pan to make those donuts. They look so good!

I love the smell of someone having a bbq. It just smells delicious. :)

Char @ www.charskitchen.ca — November 3, 2011 at 11:32 am

Oooohhh I want the latte maker, too!!

I love all kinds of food smells (even garlic!), but it grosses me out, too, when I can smell meat :/

Rachel @ The Avid Appetite — November 3, 2011 at 12:35 pm

I love all of these things..but especially that copper Anthro bucket! I know we share a love of all things Anthro :) They can just do no wrong…

Di — November 3, 2011 at 12:58 pm

Isn’t it crazy how kids learn things so easily!?! My son has been learning to speak Japanese because he practices the martial art of Judo. Mom is still struggling with it but I’m trying!

christine @ oatmeal in my bowl — November 3, 2011 at 1:01 pm

I love the latte maker! “One touch will brew and froth the milk…” <<can't ask for more than that.

BTw, a good haircut and color does wonders for a gal's soul. Bet it looks great!

Christine (The Raw Project) — November 3, 2011 at 2:15 pm

Great list, cute boots! Yikes, I could never afford that conditioner! But then again, I’ll spend that much on protein powder. :-P

1. New clothes for winter, I’ve been drooling over cute sweaters and dresses.

2. Since I run at night a lot, I smell dinner cooking from other houses which mostly seems to be BBQ, not pleasant for me!

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — November 3, 2011 at 4:05 pm

I got excited by the commercial for the new Kitchen Aid food processor. I have never had a food processor, so I now have one on my Christmas list.

Chris — November 3, 2011 at 8:09 pm

OMGosh!!! Thanks for the tip about the Mr. Coffee Latte maker! Love it! Going to grab a Bed, Bath and Beyond coupon and treat myself to one! You always have the greatest little finds, which is one of the reasons I love your blog! Thanks!!!

Deneene — November 4, 2011 at 5:50 am

I might just have to look for the lattee maker this weekend. I’m re-introducing myself to the running world. Lately, the air has smelled like fall. I don’t know how to describe it, it just does. I live in S. Carolina now. After the intense heat of the summer, I welcome fall with open arms! I just discovered Pinterest yesterday and am already addicted to it. I told a friend of mine and I think she is addicted, too! Love your blog!

Kaitlyn@TheTieDyeFiles — November 4, 2011 at 7:18 am

How awesome that Skylar is learning Spanish! I took it in middle and high school but I wished I’d started young.