Tropical Breeze

I hope you’ve had a good day.  I have no complaints.

Turquoise water

Tropical flowers

A nice run and not-too-shabby view from my running path.

I’d rank my day a 27 on a scale of 1 to 10.

No complaints, clearly.

After an extremely windy run, I enjoyed a few squares of White Chocolate Peanut, Pretzel, & Chocolate Chip Fudge

They liked the fudge, too.

And I really like the local coffee here in Aruba.  It makes for a perfect fudge chaser.

1. Windy workouts..take ‘em or leave ‘em?

My run today was breezy to say the least.  As in a 25mph headwind for what felt like the entire run.

One of those runs you feel like you’re running into the wind the whole time, both to your turn-around point, and then back again.  Kind of like walking uphill to school both ways.  But no complaints from me!

Aruba is always windy and the wind makes me feel like I’m running in an Ironman (or that I’m some sort of hardcore athlete braving the elements, even if I do eat fudge for breakfast).

I like the windy challenge, and combined with the heat, blazing sun, and humidity, I actually thrive.  I believe that outdoor workouts will always be more challenging than indoor/treadmill workouts because of nature and battling The Elements.

Running in the wind in a Chicago winter with wind chills is a different story.  I hate chilly wind.

2. Best part of your day?

Mine is those views!

And being with my family.

Thanks for the Superfoods & Superfruits Giveaway entries

37 Responses to “Tropical Breeze”

kathleen @ the daily crumb — December 6, 2011 at 7:02 pm

i’ve had many a windy run here in chicago (as i’m sure you know!) when it’s a warm(er) breeze, i don’t mind, but the december winds? i’ll leave those, thank you very much.

best part of my day was an amaaazzzing 60 minute vinyasa flow class. bliss!

Gina @ Running to the Kitchen — December 6, 2011 at 7:03 pm

The half I ran on Sunday was ridiculously windy and it was next to the water which made it worse. Wind on runs? no thanks! 30mph headwinds is not my idea of a good time.
    I can’t get over the colors in these pictures. It’s kind of torturous to look at ;)

bakerbynature — December 6, 2011 at 7:06 pm

Wind and me have some major issues, and that doesn’t even involve running! Looks like heaven there!

Kinley @ Better Off Barefoot — December 6, 2011 at 7:08 pm

I am not a big fan of the windy workouts at all! Wind makes running so much harder…

And best part of my day was finally being done with work :S

Seeing those views make me miss my recent vacation sooo much. I wish I could move to somewhere warm! Have a great time in Aruba!

emily (a nutritionist eats) — December 6, 2011 at 7:09 pm

Those views are just out of this world!!! Wow! I would probably plaster those beautiful pictures all over my house!

Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers — December 6, 2011 at 7:28 pm

Oh what beautiful pictures! Were getting frost here in N. California. I could use some tropical, but I’ll dream through your photos! Have fun!

Christine @ Oatmeal in my Bowl — December 6, 2011 at 8:09 pm

Thank you! Thank you! for all the wonderful pictures! I needed that time of mental calmness. Would love running with the aqua waters. Definitely no iPod required.

Katie — December 6, 2011 at 8:27 pm

Oh, the difference between what’s outside your house and what’s outside mine….its unfair.

I bet the coffee there is great. Your day was definitely a 27! At least. ;)

nicole marie — December 6, 2011 at 9:37 pm

windy workouts? TAKE THEM! 100%! before my sweet little monkey mouth of a puggle, i was a gym rat. she has allowed me to discover nature! it’s so beautiful. i wrote a post about it a few weekends ago. it’s called, “a love affair with nature.” http://nicoleandgwendolyn.com/2011/11/13/a-sunday-love-affair-with-nature/. x

Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen — December 6, 2011 at 10:14 pm

A 27 out of 10 sounds like a good day indeed! I however am not a fan of windy day workouts, it always leaves me dehydrated. Although if I was where you are I wouldn’t be complaining! lol

Kris | iheartwellness.com — December 7, 2011 at 12:08 am

Ohhh good question! I do like a breezy run {when I run! haha} because I feel it keeps me nice and cool ;) ummmmmmm, why are we not all there with you right now?! Sigh!

xxoo

Lisa is Raw on $10 a Day (or Less) — December 7, 2011 at 12:57 am

Gorgeous!

Kathryn — December 7, 2011 at 12:57 am

A little breeze is okay but too much wind when I’m running makes me feel almost sea sick!

I’m sitting at my desk staring out at a blue sky right now – sadly though there is no beach in sight! What a wonderful view to wake up to :)

Michaela — December 7, 2011 at 1:00 am

gorgeous all the way through :)
    I hate running when it is windy. I always have to stop to blow my nose and it drives me nuts! Also I don´t like when it is so noisy in my ears, I like some peace and quiet while running.

lauren@spicedplate — December 7, 2011 at 2:29 am

I love the wind, and being out in the wind…but it always gives me ear aches! Super lame.

The best part of my day yesterday was when my husband came home from class just as dinner was finished, and we decided to eat on the cozy couch instead of the table. It was nice just to spend time with him.

Rebecca @ Naturally Healthy and Gorgeous — December 7, 2011 at 3:45 am

What amazing scenery!

Erica — December 7, 2011 at 3:57 am

GORGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG! Sometimes a nice breeze while running is awesome. If its too much though, it can be annoying!

blossjoss — December 7, 2011 at 4:32 am

More awesome pics! Go you.

I’m currently not a fan of running in the wind. I also don’t have the appropriate gear, so recently the cold wind just whipped my butt. But it was good encouragement to get home as fast as I could.

Heather (Where's the Beach) — December 7, 2011 at 5:41 am

Ok – beyond jealous. Woke up to snow this morning – WTH????

Gena — December 7, 2011 at 6:19 am

Not a fan of windy runs, I must say. But I AM a fan of these scenic snapshots. So jealous!!

Best part of today so far has been yoga :)

Anna @ On Anna's Plate — December 7, 2011 at 6:21 am

Ahhhhh, windy workouts drive me CRAZY!!!! I’d rather run in rain or snow than wind!

McKella — December 7, 2011 at 7:16 am

Oh my goodness, I want to paint something with that color of blue! So beautiful.
    I’m kind of a baby with the weather, but I did go for a short walk yesterday in 18 degrees. My toes turned to little rocks in my Vibrams. I don’t really care for wind either.
    The best part of my day yesterday was probably baking cookies for my husband, who is stressed over finals. I also got some fun reading in and a good snuggle with my kitty. It’s the little things.

Rachel @ The Avid Appetite — December 7, 2011 at 8:22 am

I love that some places in Aruba serve coffee with evaporated milk…i would never drink this at home, but it’s such a decadent treat on vacation! Looks beautiful!

jackie @ marin mama cooks — December 7, 2011 at 8:24 am

I love running up and down the hills on the trails that I run on. I always feel like such a “pro” or a “jock” when I reach the top of a steep incline. I also love running down the hills like a kid! Running is the best, and there is no exercise that makes me feel as alive and invigorated as a good run does.

My girlfriend and I literally jogged up and down Half Dome this year. It was the best accomplishment! We treated ourselves to a nap and few glasses of wine after! It’s all about pushing yourself and then treating yourself afterwards!

Rachel @ Not Rachael Ray — December 7, 2011 at 8:26 am

GORGEOUS photos! I am so so jealous!

Amanda — December 7, 2011 at 9:20 am

Gorgeous weather you have and beautiful views!! Its snowing again here, but it is beautiful in a different way!! I would totally be out hiking or walking around in the snow right now, but working, glad my little girls are out playing right now!!

Amber K — December 7, 2011 at 10:45 am

Windy on a warm day is fine, especially if it’s coming behind me and helping me ;)

Oh my gosh, all of the pictures you post are so beautiful. I must travel to someplace so breathtaking someday.

Kath — December 7, 2011 at 12:40 pm

Keep these gorgeous photos coming – they are making my day!

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — December 7th, 2011 at 1:39 pm

About all the content I DO have down here for my blog is ocean/beach pics. And no-bake desserts. lol

marla — December 7, 2011 at 2:29 pm

CRAZY in love with your island photography. Pinning now :)

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — December 7th, 2011 at 4:28 pm

You are so sweet for the praise ‘n pins. Not bad for iphone photography that I took mid-run. That sweaty, shaky, stop and start, take the picture, run again. Stop again. Yeah, that…so thank you :)

Christine (The Raw Project) — December 7, 2011 at 6:41 pm

Sounds like a fabulous day, great pics!

1. I usually do not have a problem with wind to a certain point, no big if it’s a short run. But maybe not for long runs and if it’s too cold.
    2. Spending time catching up with family and exposing them to raw recipes. :-)

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — December 7, 2011 at 9:02 pm

I won’t work out in the wind. We have major winds in my city, and they are almost always cold, and brutal. Winter would be so much more bearable if it weren’t for the wind.

Ana — December 8, 2011 at 1:37 am

Why does it seem like everyone is on some tropic island but me? I want to see palm trees too :(
    But in all seriousness, I love these photos! What did you take them with?

Kaitlyn@TheTieDyeFiles — December 8, 2011 at 7:36 am

Gorgeous views! I can definitely do without windy workouts though. Best part of today? The sun finally came out for the first time all week! Only after a bit of snow and slush last night.