Avocado, Cream Cheese, and Salsa-Stuffed Puff Pastries

I had been wanting to make stuffed savory stuffed puff pastry for awhile.

Avocado, Cream Cheese, and Salsa-Stuffed Puff Pastries - An easy appetizer packed with bold flavor and creamy texture! Always a hit at parties! Recipe at averiecooks.com

Probably for the past, oh, seven years, give or take.

My sister is the queen of puffed pastry appetizers but this is one of those cooking projects that just never happened for me.

Until now.

A shipment of locally-grown avocados that all decided to ripen on the same day and I wanted to put them to a creative use.

So I got busy puffin’

The assembly line

After baking: Warm, cheesy, melted avocado and salsa-filled bites.

Crispy edges

Scott likes brown corners.

I don’t.

I am all about the melty middles.

This is what I used to create the puffy packages.

They were a huge hit with the family and if you’ve never worked with puff pastry before, I assure you, it’s very easy.  You don’t even technically need to roll it out if you’re pressed for time.  You could just slice it with a knife and insert the filling of your choice.

Scott kept saying they reminded him of something he ate all the time at various Bar Mitzvahs he attended growing up.  He said he ate something like this every weekend for about two years as a kid.

I doubt think the mothers of his childhood friends in suburban Chicago in the 70s were puffing up locally-grown fuerte avocados with salsa verde and mango chutney, but I could be wrong.

I told him, “There’s an egg wash on these.  I think that may be what you’re tasting that makes them seem familiar.”  The man adores eggs in any form, and any time I can use an egg in something, he’s happy.

And he said, “Oh, I like how the egg made them get brown on the top and gave it such a good flavor,” which is as descriptive he ever gets.

Normally when I ask, “Well, what do you think,” I’ll get a It’s Great, Babe.  And that’s that.

But then he asked for a third puff.  Going back for thirds is always a good sign.

What’s not to love about squishy warm avocado, with melted cream cheese, flavored with two kinds of salsa to give the bites just a touch of sweet from the mango salsa and a kick from the green salsa verde.

All topped off with an egg wash inside a warm, doughy, gluten-ey, fluffy and puffy flaky-layered little package.

This screams both comfort food

and a way to impress your spouse in under a half hour.

They also impressed the almost-five year old.

I stored the extra couple that were left from the batch of 9 (after Scott went back for thirds) in an air-tight container on the countertop and fed them to Skylar for breakfast the next morning.

Print Print Save Save

Avocado, Cream Cheese, and Salsa-Stuffed Puff Pastries (with a vegan option)

An easy appetizer packed with bold flavor and creamy texture! Always a hit at parties and tastes far more 'complicated' than it really is. Whip up a batch for your next event or for an easy lunch or light dinner dish.

Yield: About 9 puffs, depending on size of squares and how thin dough is rolled

Prep Time: 15 minutes

Cook Time: 15 minutes

Total Time: about 45 minutes

Ingredients:

1 large sheet puffed pastry, thawed (I used Trader Joe's brand, look in your grocer's freezer case)
1 ripe avocado, halved and mashed (approximately 1 tablespoon of avocado per pastry square)
1/3 cup cream cheese (approximately 1 teaspoon of cream cheese per pastry square)
1/3 cup salsa (approximately 1 teaspoon of salsa per pastry square. I used a combination of Trader Joe's Salsa Verde and Trader Joe's Mango Red Pepper Chutney)
salt and pepper, sprinkled to taste
1 egg, beaten

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 400F and prepare two baking sheets with either parchment paper, Silpat liners, or spray them well with cooking spray.
  2. Thaw one large square of puffed pastry for about 10 minutes. Flour your countertop or working surface and roll out the pastry square as thinly as possible.  With a pizza cutter or knife, slice the puffed pastry into approximately 2-inch by 2-inch squares.  From the one thinly rolled large sheet of frozen puffed pastry, I created 18 squares.
  3. On half the squares (9 squares for me), place a dollop of avocado, then cream cheese, then salsa, season with salt and pepper.  Use the remaining squares as the lids and place one lid over the filling mounds. Seal the pastry packages by pressing the edges with a fork, taking care to seal the edges well, pressing the fork in repeatedly, so no filling escapes during baking.
  4. In a small bowl, beat an egg with a fork, and apply an eggwash to each of the pastry packages.
  5. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, or until desired browning and puffing has occurred. Watch them closely after 10 minutes in case your oven is hotter or your brand of puffed pastry cooks faster.
  6. Remove from the oven and serve. Pastries are best fresh, but extras will keep for up to 48 hours airtight in the refrigerator; reheat gently in micro before serving. To keep vegan, use vegan cream cheese such as Tofutti and there are many recipes on the internet for 'vegan puffed pastry' that you can make at home. Pepperidge Farm brand puff pasty is vegan, but of course read the label as ingredients can be changed or varied. Omit the eggwash and if desired, lightly wash with almond milk or soy milk.

Related Recipes

If savory cheesy baked goods are your thing, I suggest Baked Savory Cream Cheese & Herb Donuts

I have my Avocado Recipes consolidated if those are of interest.

There’s Microwave Pepperjack Tofu with Salsa that you can make in 5 minutes in the micro if you have salsa or various condiment odds and ends that are taking up valuable refrigerator space.

And if you really just want something sweet with cream cheese,

Strawberry Cake Mix Cookies with Vanilla Cream Cheese Frosting will hit the spot.

Because I prefer cream cheese in frosting form, over savory form, always.

Have you ever made anything with puff pastry?  What was it?

I have many more ideas from savory to sweet; from little bites and puffy packages to logs that have been rolled and sliced.  Things are about to get puffy.

Would you stuff your puff with something savory or sweet?

I am a sweets girl all the way and have so many things I want to stuff into them.  Marshmallows come to mind, immediately.

And for savory, I would like to make a crab and cream cheese filling or a salmon salad with cream cheese type of filling, but those seem a little fancier, party appetizer food.  Guess I need to throw a party or pretend and make the average Tuesday night fancy.

226 Responses to “Avocado, Cream Cheese, and Salsa-Stuffed Puff Pastries”

Maria — January 18, 2012 at 3:50 pm

OMG these look delicious! I might have to make them tomorrow. I love when cream cheese gets soft and warm.

Jenn L @ Peas and Crayons — January 18, 2012 at 3:53 pm

Holy cow averie!!!! These look incredible! and i’m with you on the no brown corners! I like it crispy with no brown… which is a pain in ze butt to watch over but soooo worth it! =) hehe

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — January 18th, 2012 at 4:43 pm

I let some of them go 1-2 extra mins b/c my hubs just loves a brown corner so those were for him.

Katie — January 18, 2012 at 3:56 pm

Those are beautiful! I want to roll around in all that gooey middle and eat my way out.

Estela @ Weekly Bite — January 18, 2012 at 3:56 pm

Wow! These made my mouth water!! I must make these a.s.a.p.!!!

kathleen @ the daily crumb — January 18, 2012 at 4:04 pm

these pictures are beautiful… and the recipe, more importantly, DELICIOUS! really anything baked in a puff pastry is going to be good with me, but throw some avocado in and that might just put me over the edge!

Bianca @ Confessions of a Chocoholic — January 18, 2012 at 4:05 pm

I made some mini butternut squash and goat cheese turnovers, which were a big hit with my friends! http://www.confessionsofachocoholic.com/veggies/butternut-squash-and-goat-cheese-turnovers

Erica — January 18, 2012 at 4:15 pm

Savory and sweet is just so awesome!! These are gorgeous! Im with the man on the brown corners

Julie — January 18, 2012 at 4:16 pm

Oh my, those look fantastic. You know I’ll have to make this sometime. Maybe sub in some goat cheese though. :) Also, I had no idea Trader Joe’s made filo pastry!

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — January 18th, 2012 at 4:41 pm

I know and the box was 2.99 I think for 2 big sheets. So I made all of this with half the box, $1.50 worth of dough. Can’t beat that!

TeenyLittleSuperChef — January 18, 2012 at 4:18 pm

I think if I could afford to have a live-in chef at my house, I would definitely hire you to take over my kitchen. These puffs are the bomb dot com! I usually come to your blog for cookie and other dessert ideas, but this time I was pleasantly surprised to find such a tasty savory treat showcased for the day. Woohoo for avocado puff pastries! I’m pretty much convinced that you could shove avocado inside a sock and I would probably try to eat it. Thanks for the great recipe yet again, Averie! Do you think I could substitute a Laughing Cow cheese wedge for the cream cheese? Just a thought

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — January 18th, 2012 at 4:41 pm

I know, I can check the savory recipe obligation of my to-do list for 2012 now :)

Thanks for the sweet compliments and yes, goat cheese, no cheese, brie, soy cheese…

peanut butter, marshmallows…pretty much anything and in most any combo you wanna stuff, go for it!

AikoVenus — January 18, 2012 at 4:27 pm

Mm – these look and sound so delicious! If you replace the salsa with some chocolate you’ll have a great dessert, too! ^^

Crystal @ Tea Leaves and Vanilla — January 18, 2012 at 4:27 pm

I usually use puff pastry to make samosas because I don’t have a deep fryer. Samosas are ridiculously easy to make. The ones I make are basically a combination of mashed potatoes, cooked peas and carrot pieces, mixed with curry paste (Patak’s brand, about 1 tbsp or so), a bit of ketchup to thin it out, garam masala, tumeric, and additional curry powder if needed. The tumeric stains, so best to be careful with it! It’s really good with apricot jelly as the dip/chutney.

Your recipe looks so delicious! I think it would also be great with a bit of goat cheese… and dates, because I put dates in my guacamole and so I think it just goes! I’ll have to try this recipe on my boyfriend sometime. :)

katie @ KatieDid — January 18, 2012 at 4:37 pm

This is my ideal combo, if I got puff pasty they would probably look something just like this! Lovely pictures too :)

Paula — January 18, 2012 at 4:48 pm

Love that filling idea–particularly the salsa chutney combo w/ avocado. A little smooth sweet heat. I made some puff pastry appetizer pockets stuffed with a little Brie cheese and hot pepper jelly. They were a hit. I’ll have to try your filling–my husband loves avocado on just about anything!

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — January 18th, 2012 at 6:40 pm

brie and hot pepper jelly YES…all the way. TJ’s hot pepper jelly that ive posted about so many times is done for the season I fear but next year, I am making these with that in the middle rather than a big brie/pastry spread…mini ones like this.

Victoria @ The Pursuit of Hippieness — January 18, 2012 at 4:50 pm

Mmmm it’s like mexican layer dip bites!

Anna @ hiddenponies — January 18, 2012 at 4:51 pm

WOW, these are fantastic! I’m new to puff pastry and can’t believe I waited so long in fear of it :) What a beautiful, unique appetizer…or dinner :)

Kath — January 18, 2012 at 4:53 pm

Wow do these look scrupt!

• Kath replied: — January 18th, 2012 at 4:53 pm

Aka SCRUMPT. short for scrumptious!

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — January 18th, 2012 at 6:38 pm

I’m the shorthand queen. I totes figured that out b/c I use abbreviations like they’re going out of style.

Glad you likey :)

Gena — January 18, 2012 at 4:57 pm

WOW. Amazing recipe! I love how you managed to use avocado in the recipe and keep it bright and fresh–not a scrap of brown anywhere! They’re that perfect mix of fresh/light and comforting/cheesy/baked. I did. Bigtime.

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — January 18th, 2012 at 6:38 pm

And it’s vegan-friendly/vegan-adaptable as I noted in the recipe w/ tofutti cream cheese and make your own pastry or there is probably a pre-made dough of some sort in specialty groceries that’s vegan dough. And yes, it’s got all those elements of light/comfort, fresh/baked.

The greenness…ok the avos are locally grown HAND PICKED from the tree avos from here in CA (I had a giveaway for a case of them last week)…anyway, those little buggers stay green for SO long. I can slice and expose to air and 3 hrs later, they’re still green. Normally an avo would be brown or black by then!

• Christine replied: — October 7th, 2012 at 11:57 am

Pepperidge Farms brand puff pastry is vegan, but it does have some hydrogenated oils and high fructose corn syrup… Not exactly healthy, but it is vegan.

Brooke — January 18, 2012 at 4:59 pm
    Rebecca @ Naturally Healthy and Gorgeous — January 18, 2012 at 5:08 pm

Sweet and savory both sound amazing! Sweet would have to be nutella and savory anything with avocado!

Michaela — January 18, 2012 at 5:19 pm

yum! These pics make me drool. I just love savory puff bites! They are so versatile. I often use a stuffing similar to a vegan chilli and it is so good.

Kelly @ Foodie Fiasco — January 18, 2012 at 5:26 pm

Must make these. Now.

I think I might have to ruin the convenience aspect of them, though, and make my own puff pastry. Oh well, at least they’d still be delish!

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — January 18th, 2012 at 6:35 pm

For 2.99 for 2 sheets, i.e. $1.50 for the entire batch I made that’s shown b/c I made 1 of the 2 in the box, it was the best 1.50 I ever spent. Time is valuable$$$ too :)

Heather (Where's the Beach) — January 18, 2012 at 5:36 pm

Hubby would most definitely love those. They’d be perfect appetizers for a party too.

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — January 18th, 2012 at 6:35 pm

I’m thinking superbowl parties. Oh wait, I hate football and won’t be hosting a party like that :) But for other people, yes. Party on!

jackie @ marin mama cooks — January 18, 2012 at 5:55 pm

Yummy! These are right up my alley as I love avocado, cream cheese and mango. Put it all in a pastry shell and you got me :) You come up with the best recipes girl!

Tabitha — January 18, 2012 at 6:02 pm

These look amazing, I’m so going to try these sometimes soon.

Tab
    my-cliffnotes.blogspot.com

Bianca — January 18, 2012 at 6:10 pm

I think Scott is talking about a Spanakopita! Basically it’s puff pasty with cheese and spinach stuffed in the middle. So delicious! I love puff pastry but due to gluten intolerance, can no longer enjoy such delicacies ;(

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — January 18th, 2012 at 6:34 pm

you’re probably right…but for all I know, he could mean baklava. Seriously he is so NON-specific :)

Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers — January 18, 2012 at 6:20 pm

Total yum! Your little pastries look wonderful! I think I’m allergic to avocado, what do you recommend I could put in place of the avocado that would be fruit or vegetable?

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — January 18th, 2012 at 6:33 pm

mashed sweet potato? mashed cauli that’s been steamed, mashed grapes, mashed peanut butter…seriously..the sky’s the limit :)

if you’re allergic to avo, you may have a latex family sensitivity…do bananas, mango, or latex bother you? any redness, mouth or skin swelling after them?

Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers — January 18, 2012 at 6:36 pm

So funny you said that about allergies. Mangos I’m good with but I am allergic to latex. I love avocados, but I get a nasty stomach from them.

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — January 18th, 2012 at 6:43 pm

I highly suspect latex allergy to that family, i.e. birch, mango, banana, latex, rubber. Google for more.

I learned so much when going thru various food allergy things which lasted about…a decade. All I did was read about it and am a wealth of random factoids. Lol

Alyssa (Down To Earth) — January 18, 2012 at 6:56 pm

Oh, these look goooooddddd. I might make these for a little get-together I’m going to this weekend…they’re different than the usual appetizer and sounds like they have a great texture combination. Thanks for sharing!

Kilee — January 18, 2012 at 7:27 pm

Hi! These look delicious! I have yet to try a gluten-free pastry. It’s on my “to-bake” list. I’m happy to hear that your gluten-intolerance has settled down. I’m hoping that in 7+ years, mine will too. I’ve heard that some people can keep it out of their diet for seven years and all of their cells will be replaced with new ones and then possibly be able to digest gluten without the old side effects. One can hope right?!

Have a great night!

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — January 18th, 2012 at 7:36 pm

I don’t eat tons of gluten, and I pick and choose my spots. And I was strictly GF for a good 5+ years. That, probiotics, healing my gut..all helped me to tolerate it in modest amts now.

betty — January 18, 2012 at 7:42 pm

they do look really crispy! I love crunchy appetizers it’s just that I love to dip them but the best part of these puff pastries is that they are filled with avocado which I never thought about doing

Felicia (Natural + Balanced) — January 18, 2012 at 7:54 pm

you, my friend.. are awesome. over the holidays, i bought puff pastry and never goto to use it, as i never found the “perfect recipe” to make it with. problem totally solved!!!

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — January 18th, 2012 at 8:04 pm

I bought mine before the holidays, too, and Xmas baking took a priority and we were gone and so now was the perfect time to play around. LMK if you end up making it!

Katie — January 18, 2012 at 8:06 pm

I need to find some gf puff pastry. Is it the same as filo dough? I would LOVE to eat these, but I’m not about to make my own dough. Some company will come out with a gf version soon enough, I suspect.

One of the first things I ever pinned was a recipe for avocado po-tarts that look a lot like these and are made with puff pastry. Back before I was a pinterest addict.

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — January 18th, 2012 at 8:23 pm

One of the main reasons that puff pastry puffs is b/c of the gluten, I’d suspect. You can google it I’m sure to find a GF alternative dough that has similar properties; or you can just make a standard GF bread dough, roll it thin, and bake it..Or any kind of GF frozen dough, really…as long as you don’t care about the super light, puffy, fluffy, croissant-like texture, you can substitute liberally, I’d think.

• Amber K replied: — January 19th, 2012 at 3:06 pm

Good to know!

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — January 18, 2012 at 8:33 pm

WOW! Those look so freakin fantastical!!!!! This is my idea of a GREAT appetizer! I have made a few things with puff pastry, and I think most, if not all were savory.

Sophie — January 18, 2012 at 10:27 pm

OMG that is such a brilliant idea! I’ve been very much into eating warm avocado lately. This looks quite perfect with that little crunch & texture. Thank you for all you creative ideas (not only this one!)

Anna @ the shady pine — January 19, 2012 at 12:09 am

These little pastries look divine with the encased avocado…I think the crunch of the pastry with the silkiness of the avocado would be a perfect marriage.

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — January 19th, 2012 at 12:46 am

Yes the silky smooth of the avo and cream cheese and the crunch of the bread, it’s a nice texture marriage.

Lauren at Keep It Sweet — January 19, 2012 at 3:34 am

This would make such a fabulous party food!

Jen @ pretty plate — January 19, 2012 at 4:10 am

Oh, wow! These looks great Averie!

: ))
    Jen

Nicole — January 19, 2012 at 4:13 am

I’ve never seen such beautiful avocados! The ones available at the grocery store all have a sticker on them saying “Ripe Now” so they are usually brown after 1 or 2 days at home.

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — January 19th, 2012 at 10:41 am

As I told another commenter (Gena) earlier in the comments…these avos stay so green and so vibrant, even after cutting into them. The groc store ones get all brown/black and funky VERY quickly but these…I can literally cut into them and leave them exposed to air for 3 hrs before there’s ANY browning and can leave them sliced, wrapped in plastic wrap in the fridge for 36 hrs before they brown. Crazy but true.

Kerry @ Totes My Oats — January 19, 2012 at 6:03 am

My favorite way to use puff pastry is to make a French apple tart. I roll the pastry out into a thin rectangle and prick it all over with a fork. Then I simply lay thinly sliced apples on a diagonal in rows, slightly overlapping. Top that bad boy with tons of sugar and dots of butter and bake it at a very high temp. When it comes out, I brush it with an apricot jam/rum glaze. It’s a gorgeous dessert!
    By the way, those avocado puff bites look like little Mexican parties inside – amazing!

Christine (The Raw Project) — January 19, 2012 at 6:18 am

These look wonderful, awesome pics with very vibrant colors! I bet my nieces would love these too!

Rachel @ The Avid Appetite — January 19, 2012 at 7:09 am

these look fantastic! I always love avocados, in any form. And puff pastry is a miracle product.

Bev Weidner — January 19, 2012 at 7:31 am

Seriously, I want to place an order for 5,264,716.

Betsy — January 19, 2012 at 7:37 am

I love the idea of these for breakfast. You know what I love about your blog? Is that you give multiple recipes for your ingredients so if I ever have anything leftover, I know what to use it for. Super awesome! Thanks

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — January 19th, 2012 at 10:39 am

Yes…I am the queen of using up leftovers b/c they take over your fridge and cupboards otherwise. Most of my recipes you can interchange the add-in’s and lots of things from the amount of chocolate chips, raisins, to the type of salsa or crackers or whatever used in something based on what you have.

Victoria — January 19, 2012 at 7:53 am

These look fantastic! I can’t wait to try them. I thought about you yesterday when I took a 2 hour drive to Phoenix to go to Trader Joe’s. I made a day of it and had a blast! Hit THREE different restaurants that had been featured on Food Network. Waffles for breakfast and pizza for lunch and dinner. Also made it to Penzie’s Spices, Whole Foods and a beautiful knit shop, where I spent $200 on gorgeous yarn I didn’t need. TJ’s was nice, got some yummy pita crackers, salsa verde, rice and lentil mix and some coffee (based on your recommendation). It is a shame that these wonderful stores are not closer. Anyway, just wanted you to know. Have a great day.

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — January 19th, 2012 at 10:37 am

Wow what a fun day you had…all the stores, food finds, the yarn finds..nice! Enjoy the coffee, salsa, and all your goodies!

Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar — January 19, 2012 at 8:16 am

These seriously rock my world! How have I never put avocado in a puff pastry before?!

Erin @ Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts — January 19, 2012 at 9:13 am

I saw these on Pinterest, and just had to see them! I love anything with avocado’s, and these sound amazing! I can’t wait to try them!

Kelly — January 19, 2012 at 10:23 am

Ohhh muhhh gaw!! I LOVE these!! It’s like everything I’ve ever wanted into a yummy this pastry bite! The combination of avocado, cream cheese and salsa sounds perfect, great recipe love!! :)

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — January 19th, 2012 at 10:35 am

Thanks, beautiful…and your photography, always, omg..drool. Over everything you make!

Chris — January 19, 2012 at 10:25 am

You’re killin’ me here….as I eat Trader Joe’s Vodka Pasta Sauce over Spaghetti Squash. Have never tried working with puff pastry….saw Julia Child “whip up a batch”. Methinks the pre-made is the way to go, unless of course, you have a LOT of time on your hands and a lot of wine to drink. I love anything cheesy and oozy. Might have to try cream cheese stuffed jalapeno’s wrapped in puff pastry–with a smidge of hot pepper jelly…..yes, I surely think so. Your photos look good enough to eat :D

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — January 19th, 2012 at 10:35 am

Premade is the way to go! I used half the box, i.e. $1.50 worth, and made ALL those puffs I showed in the pics.

The hot pepper jelly I have been told is out of stock in San Diego til perhaps next holiday season at TJs. Sniff. No one knows for sure but I’m out and using a groc store brand that’s no where near as good but wanna make bites with that in it, too.

Bree — January 19, 2012 at 10:43 am

Those look like little pockets of heaven!

Amber K — January 19, 2012 at 11:09 am

I don’t know if they have anything gluten-free that would be like puff pastry, but either way I’ve never tried anything with it. But you know me, I’d totally go for a sweet filling if given the option. Yum!

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — January 19th, 2012 at 2:53 pm

I told another commenter (Katie) above you about gluten, why I don’t know if it would work, but you could try something else…check out that comment if you have a sec.