Avocado, Cream Cheese, and Salsa-Stuffed Puff Pastries

I had been wanting to make stuffed savory stuffed puff pastry for awhile.

Avocado, Cream Cheese, and Salsa-Stuffed Puff Pastries - An easy appetizer packed with bold flavor and creamy texture! Always a hit at parties! Recipe at averiecooks.com

Probably for the past, oh, seven years, give or take.

My sister is the queen of puffed pastry appetizers but this is one of those cooking projects that just never happened for me.

Until now.

A shipment of locally-grown avocados that all decided to ripen on the same day and I wanted to put them to a creative use.

So I got busy puffin’

The assembly line

After baking: Warm, cheesy, melted avocado and salsa-filled bites.

Crispy edges

Scott likes brown corners.

I don’t.

I am all about the melty middles.

This is what I used to create the puffy packages.

They were a huge hit with the family and if you’ve never worked with puff pastry before, I assure you, it’s very easy.  You don’t even technically need to roll it out if you’re pressed for time.  You could just slice it with a knife and insert the filling of your choice.

Scott kept saying they reminded him of something he ate all the time at various Bar Mitzvahs he attended growing up.  He said he ate something like this every weekend for about two years as a kid.

I doubt think the mothers of his childhood friends in suburban Chicago in the 70s were puffing up locally-grown fuerte avocados with salsa verde and mango chutney, but I could be wrong.

I told him, “There’s an egg wash on these.  I think that may be what you’re tasting that makes them seem familiar.”  The man adores eggs in any form, and any time I can use an egg in something, he’s happy.

And he said, “Oh, I like how the egg made them get brown on the top and gave it such a good flavor,” which is as descriptive he ever gets.

Normally when I ask, “Well, what do you think,” I’ll get a It’s Great, Babe.  And that’s that.

But then he asked for a third puff.  Going back for thirds is always a good sign.

What’s not to love about squishy warm avocado, with melted cream cheese, flavored with two kinds of salsa to give the bites just a touch of sweet from the mango salsa and a kick from the green salsa verde.

All topped off with an egg wash inside a warm, doughy, gluten-ey, fluffy and puffy flaky-layered little package.

This screams both comfort food

and a way to impress your spouse in under a half hour.

They also impressed the almost-five year old.

I stored the extra couple that were left from the batch of 9 (after Scott went back for thirds) in an air-tight container on the countertop and fed them to Skylar for breakfast the next morning.

Print Print Save Save

Avocado, Cream Cheese, and Salsa-Stuffed Puff Pastries (with a vegan option)

An easy appetizer packed with bold flavor and creamy texture! Always a hit at parties and tastes far more 'complicated' than it really is. Whip up a batch for your next event or for an easy lunch or light dinner dish.

Yield: About 9 puffs, depending on size of squares and how thin dough is rolled

Prep Time: 15 minutes

Cook Time: 15 minutes

Total Time: about 45 minutes

Ingredients:

1 large sheet puffed pastry, thawed (I used Trader Joe's brand, look in your grocer's freezer case)
1 ripe avocado, halved and mashed (approximately 1 tablespoon of avocado per pastry square)
1/3 cup cream cheese (approximately 1 teaspoon of cream cheese per pastry square)
1/3 cup salsa (approximately 1 teaspoon of salsa per pastry square. I used a combination of Trader Joe's Salsa Verde and Trader Joe's Mango Red Pepper Chutney)
salt and pepper, sprinkled to taste
1 egg, beaten

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 400F and prepare two baking sheets with either parchment paper, Silpat liners, or spray them well with cooking spray.
  2. Thaw one large square of puffed pastry for about 10 minutes. Flour your countertop or working surface and roll out the pastry square as thinly as possible.  With a pizza cutter or knife, slice the puffed pastry into approximately 2-inch by 2-inch squares.  From the one thinly rolled large sheet of frozen puffed pastry, I created 18 squares.
  3. On half the squares (9 squares for me), place a dollop of avocado, then cream cheese, then salsa, season with salt and pepper.  Use the remaining squares as the lids and place one lid over the filling mounds. Seal the pastry packages by pressing the edges with a fork, taking care to seal the edges well, pressing the fork in repeatedly, so no filling escapes during baking.
  4. In a small bowl, beat an egg with a fork, and apply an eggwash to each of the pastry packages.
  5. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, or until desired browning and puffing has occurred. Watch them closely after 10 minutes in case your oven is hotter or your brand of puffed pastry cooks faster.
  6. Remove from the oven and serve. Pastries are best fresh, but extras will keep for up to 48 hours airtight in the refrigerator; reheat gently in micro before serving. To keep vegan, use vegan cream cheese such as Tofutti and there are many recipes on the internet for 'vegan puffed pastry' that you can make at home. Pepperidge Farm brand puff pasty is vegan, but of course read the label as ingredients can be changed or varied. Omit the eggwash and if desired, lightly wash with almond milk or soy milk.

Related Recipes

If savory cheesy baked goods are your thing, I suggest Baked Savory Cream Cheese & Herb Donuts

I have my Avocado Recipes consolidated if those are of interest.

There’s Microwave Pepperjack Tofu with Salsa that you can make in 5 minutes in the micro if you have salsa or various condiment odds and ends that are taking up valuable refrigerator space.

And if you really just want something sweet with cream cheese,

Strawberry Cake Mix Cookies with Vanilla Cream Cheese Frosting will hit the spot.

Because I prefer cream cheese in frosting form, over savory form, always.

Have you ever made anything with puff pastry?  What was it?

I have many more ideas from savory to sweet; from little bites and puffy packages to logs that have been rolled and sliced.  Things are about to get puffy.

Would you stuff your puff with something savory or sweet?

I am a sweets girl all the way and have so many things I want to stuff into them.  Marshmallows come to mind, immediately.

And for savory, I would like to make a crab and cream cheese filling or a salmon salad with cream cheese type of filling, but those seem a little fancier, party appetizer food.  Guess I need to throw a party or pretend and make the average Tuesday night fancy.

221 Responses to “Avocado, Cream Cheese, and Salsa-Stuffed Puff Pastries”

Tasha @ Voracious Eats — January 19, 2012 at 11:22 am

Oh…oh….oh my goodness. Averie, this is one of the best things you’ve ever posted. First of all, I love puff pastry. Like, I could eat it all by itself. Crispy golden buttery flaky salty YES. And then you go and add avocado. And cream cheese. Two of the world’s most perfect foods. And the salsa? Another level Averie, another level.

I HAVE to make these and eat a million asap.

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — January 19th, 2012 at 2:54 pm

come to think of it, this is YOUR perfect food isn’t it. The avo, the salty/savory, salsa, doughy bready…this is so you…I wish I could make them for you!

Alex@Spoonful of Sugar Free — January 19, 2012 at 11:53 am

Gosh darn, Averie, you are so evil!!! I’ve been completely craving something like this all day today, but I can’t because of the liquid diet I’m on (wisdom teeth…)…Ugh!

Can’t wait until I feel better so I can make these!!!

Kelly @ Vegolosophy — January 19, 2012 at 12:13 pm

mmmm those avocado crisp look so good!!! Those would be amazing for a summer party!

vanillasugarblog — January 19, 2012 at 12:49 pm

oh my gosh girl i just luuurve you.
    avocado in the middle? yes please.
    i am such an avocado junkie.
    and thank you for the shout out
    love you XOXO!

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — January 19th, 2012 at 2:52 pm

Glad you saw this one because I thought that you, the former CA girl, probably likes her avos. Your raspberry hand pies sound so good…raspberry trumps avo for me. These were my husband’s idea of fabulous though.

Thanks for the compliments on my profile pic. I appreciate it! :)

xo

vanillasugarblog — January 19, 2012 at 12:50 pm

love the new profile pic too.

Rebecca @ Naturally Healthy and Gorgeous — January 19, 2012 at 1:48 pm

I just got the Stevia giveaway! Thank you! Now excuse me while I spend the night in the kitchen!

Alison @ Ingredients Inc — January 19, 2012 at 2:13 pm

These get a huge standing ovation!

CulinarilyCourtney — January 19, 2012 at 2:34 pm

This is one of the most creative recipes that I have seen in a long time! Great idea; I can’t wait to try!

Lucy — January 19, 2012 at 3:23 pm

I absolutely love puff pastry and I will often make my own veggi sausage rolls but not much else. I really love the taste of warm avocado and being small size they are good for the little ones. I will definately get into the kitchen and give them a go. thanks for the inspiration!

Anna @ The Guiltless Life — January 19, 2012 at 3:24 pm

Oh my, these look and sound AMAZING. I may have started drooling when looking at those pictures – some of my favourite flavours right there! They’d definitely make ideal party bites too :)

Jennifer — January 19, 2012 at 4:08 pm

Thanks for this idea. I love all of these ingredients but would never think to put them in puff pastry! I must try.

Anna — January 19, 2012 at 8:39 pm

Talk about a jaw- dropper for football party! I wll take a dozen, please :)

Javelin Warrior — January 20, 2012 at 8:05 am

Love these! And I’ve been inspired to feature your pastries in my Friday Food Fetish roundup and on Pinterest. I can’t wait to see what you come up with next and please let me know if you have any objections…

Liz (Little Bitty Bakes) — January 20, 2012 at 4:03 pm

Love the avocado puffs – such a different appetizer… would be great for a super bowl party, actually!

Deborah — January 21, 2012 at 10:23 am

OH my goodness – I have no words!!

sara — January 22, 2012 at 12:59 pm

Wow, these are SO pretty and look absolutely delicious – what a great idea!! :)

Melanie — January 23, 2012 at 4:31 pm

exCUSE me??? I just bought one of those 5-lb bags of avocados from Trader Joe’s and I can’t think of a better way to put those babies to use!

kim grimes — January 28, 2012 at 2:22 pm

i made spanakopita once. it was delish but i have never attempted it again :)

Niki — January 29, 2012 at 4:48 pm

Suppose I could make these ahead of time (24 hours) and bake them off?

Saucy Tomatoes — January 29, 2012 at 5:24 pm

I’m totally inspired to try these this weekend! They look fantastic and what a great way to use puff pastry. Your photos are lovely too!

Dawn — January 31, 2012 at 8:25 pm

Looks really good! Sort of freaked me out to read about Dawn and Joy…I’m Dawn and my sister’s name is Joy! :)

lee — February 6, 2012 at 8:49 pm

These were delicious! I know you mentioned that you don’t watch the Super Bowl, but they were a great treat to have with dinner while my fiance and I enjoyed the commercials – I mean, the game last night. =)

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — February 6th, 2012 at 10:01 pm

Oh thanks for LMK you made them and enjoyed!! Yay!!! I appreciate the feedback; thanks for reporting back!

Mary — February 17, 2012 at 7:22 am

Do you think I can make these, freeze them uncooked and then bake when I need them. I would like to make them for a Bridal Shower.

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — February 17th, 2012 at 7:57 am

Once you unthaw puff pastry, I’m pretty sure you’re supposed to cook it then as it’s the cold dough that really gives it the puff and not sure what re-freezing does…my guess is that it will be “fine” but I would do a test batch and use common sense and go from there. Good luck!

• Shayna replied: — August 6th, 2012 at 2:42 pm

I have it on good authority that puff pastry freezes well. I’m not as certain about avocado, though…

asiathinksthings — February 19, 2012 at 11:51 am

Those puff pastries look delicious, I was looking for a new idea to stuff it, thanks for inspiration :)
    greets, Asia

Liz — March 9, 2012 at 4:48 am

Do you think the alvacdo bites can be made the day before then egg wash and bake next day?? Would they be soggy??

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — March 9th, 2012 at 8:32 am

I think you could try to make them the night before and bake the next day…you may want to test this out on a “trial run” if you were going to make these for an event like a brunch with guests though before the actual event b/c with the pastry dough, the filling, the avocado could oxidize a bit but not necessarily…worth a try!

Miriam- NEMM Design — March 20, 2012 at 4:57 pm

this looks delicious! my weekend project! Thanks for sharing!

Julie — April 2, 2012 at 2:11 pm

I LOVE cream cheese so I’m going to have to try this tonight! About how many calories in one puff pastry?

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — April 2nd, 2012 at 2:30 pm

I have no idea. Plug the info into an online calculator site that does that type of thing is my suggestion!

Jamie — April 15, 2012 at 3:11 pm

I know you have already had a bazillion comments on this, but I just made this for my husband and 4-year-old and we LOVED it. I used some chipotle salsa and it was heavenly. Thanks for sharing!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — April 15th, 2012 at 3:24 pm

The best comments are the ones that come from people who actually made and tried the recipe and I really appreciated you making, trying, and commenting! SO GLAD it was a hit. I have a 5 year old and she loves these too. Thanks for reading and the field report back!

Mythreyi Vattikuti — May 9, 2012 at 12:35 am

These looks absolutely divine, Averie!! I am glad I came through kitchen artistry here.. Love your space..

-Mythreyi
    Yum! Yum! Yum!

Boudoir Photography — June 7, 2012 at 10:00 am

First of all, joy of all joys, we are getting a Trader Joe’s about two miles from my house. I could not be happier :) Secondly, I’m going to try these SOON! I am sure I will have to double or triple the batch to accommodate my family’s need, but they look so simple to make & so tasty!! Thanks :)

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — June 7th, 2012 at 12:51 pm

Woo-hoo for TJs and love the name of your site…there’s a photography studio in San Diego here who also does similar photography with the same name!

sonia wysochanski — July 3, 2012 at 5:40 pm

i might like to try this filling in a pasta shell

fareeha — July 10, 2012 at 12:59 pm

Can the avocado cream cheese salsa puff pastry be frozen nd then baked later? I

Michaela — August 10, 2012 at 2:53 pm

I would just like to say that you are a creative and healthy genius!!! So happy to have discovered you via Pinterest!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — August 10th, 2012 at 3:52 pm

Not sure about healthy all the time based on some of my desserts (but the creative part I can live with) :)

Thanks for finding me!

Amy — September 6, 2012 at 3:46 pm

I know this is an old post but I just found you on pinterest. Is it possible to make the puff pastries ahead of time? Will the avocado oxidize? Maybe I could mix the cream cheese with the avocado.

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — September 6th, 2012 at 3:49 pm

I’d be more worried that the pastry would get kind of limp and not the best texture. Make ahead like an hour or so, yes. Or make at 8am for a noon brunch, sure. Make ahead like two days? No I don’t advise it.

Sam @ sugarspunrun.com — September 16, 2012 at 12:42 pm

Wow these look SOO good, I definitely want to try them out! :)

Lauryn — October 25, 2012 at 3:59 am

Thanks Averie for this recipe! I made them and they were so delicious!!!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — October 25th, 2012 at 10:04 am

I am so glad it was a hit, Lauryn! Thanks for trying it and for coming back to LMK! I appreciate it!

Katelyn — October 27, 2012 at 9:43 am

I made these last night and they were amazing!!! We used black been and corn salsa, and they tasted great!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — October 27th, 2012 at 10:54 am

So glad they turned out great for you! And thanks for letting me know! :)

Elizabeth Ann — January 21, 2013 at 8:18 am

Those look incredible! Found you via formula mom! :-)

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — January 21st, 2013 at 11:14 am

I was actually trying to figure out what post of hers or where my site is featured on her site. I’ll have to dig around I guess! :)

April — February 3, 2013 at 11:17 am

These will be my take-along contribution to tonight’s Super Bowl festivities. I’ve never worked with puff pastry before, so wish me luck. And Go Ravens! :)

Shoni — February 23, 2013 at 3:11 pm

I am hosting a baby shower tomorrow, have planned on making these for months…I want to make these ahead, tonight, and bake tomorrow…what do you think, will it work?
    Thank you for the yummy and beautiful recipe :)

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — February 23rd, 2013 at 4:19 pm

I am sure they will be fine; but of course, I cannot guarantee it b/c I assembled/baked all at the same time. I would hate for the dough to get funny on you and not want to rise/puff properly for you if you make ahead tonite and on the big day tomorrow they’re not as puffed as you wish. Whatever you do, make sure the dough is COLD and well-refrigerated going directly from fridge to oven. The shock of the cold/hot oven creates steam, to give the puff. Please report back! :)

• Shoni replied: — February 23rd, 2013 at 4:41 pm

Great advice, especially since I’ve never used puff pastry before ;) So…maybe I’ll be doing something else for tomorrow, and making these little guys just for my husband, son and self to enjoy!

Thanks a bunch

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — February 23rd, 2013 at 4:57 pm

Honestly, the assembly takes MAYBE 15-20 mins, max. I really don’t think it’s a hard-to-assemble recipe. Just set yourself aside enough time in the morning; get up a little earlier and keeping the tray in the fridge for an hour or two is fine after assembly; I just worry about overnight. And you will be FINE! :)

Shoni — February 24, 2013 at 10:21 am

Thanks so much, Averie! Maybe I will try them after all…if I do I will let you know how they come out :)

• Shoni replied: — February 24th, 2013 at 6:34 pm

SO! I made them, and they were loved :) I did bitesized, so it took a while longer, but otherwise they were great. Thanks again for the share.

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — February 24th, 2013 at 6:42 pm

So glad that they worked out for you and thanks for coming back to LMK!! :)

Chung-Ah | Damn Delicious — June 24, 2013 at 9:18 am

I have ALL of the ingredients on hand! I definitely need to make this for Jason for lunch today – he will be thrilled!

Anna — November 22, 2013 at 11:13 am

OMG I love this recipe! So much I would love to make these for my wedding in december. Do you think I can make them in advance? For how many days will they stay fresh..? Is it possible to freeze them even? (I don’t know if avocado likes to be frozen or not..) Thanks in advance for your answer! /Anna

• Averie Sunshine replied: — November 22nd, 2013 at 11:21 am

Glad you love the recipe! There are many elements though that don’t lend well to making-ahead; the puff pastry and the avocado and the cream cheese. It all needs to be assembled and baked in fairly short order because the avo will oxidize, the cream cheese will get gloppy, and the puff pasty won’t puff as well. Just being totally honest b/c it’s your wedding and you want it perfect!

• Anna replied: — November 22nd, 2013 at 11:57 am

ok thank you for your quick answer.. hm ok, I thought that maybe they will be a little like a pirouge (I know they keep well – even possible to freeze..) I’ll see if I have time to make them anyway.. the night before is ok right? :-)

suzzie — January 1, 2014 at 4:59 pm

I’ve been wanting to make these for so long and finally got around to it for our new years party. They were delish and a huge hit all around. Thank you!

• Averie Sunshine replied: — January 1st, 2014 at 9:46 pm

That’s wonderful to hear, Suzzie! Thanks for trying them and LMK they were a huge hit all the way around!

Kayla — February 6, 2014 at 5:46 pm

I added shredded chicken and threw in some diced onions with my avocados… Wanted to “beef” it up with the chicken. They were out of this world very good combo of tastes all in one bite… I will making several variations of this for years to come. Thanks!!!

• Averie Sunshine replied: — February 6th, 2014 at 5:48 pm

Glad you loved them & also that you have a jumping off place for variations! Love it when that happens!

Lissa — March 7, 2014 at 2:19 pm

Made them like the recipe the first time. Second time I blended cream cheese and half an avacado until smooth then mixed in the other half chopped up and the salsa. Cut the puff pastry into squares and the put a dollop in the middle and dropped them into my mini muffin tin. Baked 400 for 15 minutes. They are like
    Little avacado cheesecakes. :) more bang for my buck this way as I get twice the finished product and I’m taking them to a party. They’re cooling now. Super delish! I might put a dollop of the leftover mixture on top….

• Averie Sunshine replied: — March 7th, 2014 at 7:57 pm

Sounds like it worked out great for you and so glad you enjoyed them and you get extra bang for your buck the way you did it :) And yes, always dollop extra mixture on top…mmm, so good!