Gloomy Day

The weather here today was the opposite of the normal San Diego sunny weather and blue skies we have.

It was rainy, gloomy, windy, and one of those days you want to cross things off your to-do list inside, rather than doing things outside.

However, I did venture out for a few groceries.

The stores were such a zoo and the roads were a mess.  1/20th of an inch of rain and you’d think it was a flood or natural disaster.  People here cannot drive in the rain.

I grew up in Minnesota and Chicago and I can drive a two-seater stick shift in 14 inches of snow and 40 mph winds while putting lipstick on in my rearview mirror and belting out 80s hits karaoke-style.  I could probably talk on the phone and eat my drive-thru, too.  Don’t you love it when you see people beyond multi-tasking in their car.  Makeup application, phone calls, reading emails, sending texts.  I want to remind them they are driving and that should be the priority but that’s another topic.

But in Southern California where the weather is ususally like this…

Driving on wet roads means accidents, chaos, and gridlock.

I enjoyed some at-home yoga.

And I also checked off a baking project off from my Weekend List.

Something along the lines of this…

…Was used to make something along the lines of these.

Baked Chocolate Peanut Butter Donuts with Vanilla Peanut Butter Glaze taste even better on weekend days.

Especially when it’s gloomy and the peanut butter glaze is all melty and oozing down the warm donuts.  You’ll forget about the rain.

What do you like to do when it’s gloomy, raining (or snowing) out?

Thanks for the Cascadian Farms Cereal Giveaway entries

51 Responses to “Gloomy Day”

kathleen @ the daily crumb — January 21, 2012 at 6:21 pm

it’s sunny here in chicago, but there are 7 inches of snow on the ground!! i think i’d take your warm temperature gloominess instead :) i remember being in shock when i lived in california at the ridiculous driving when californians are faced with a sprinkle of precipitation. can you imagine if it ever snowed?!

the best part of my saturday was 4 loads of laundry, cleaning the kitchen, and a healthy dinner at home. i feel so relaxed!

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — January 21st, 2012 at 11:35 pm

No I can’t ever imagine if it snowed in SoCal. Call the salt crews and roadside assistance :)

Sara — January 21, 2012 at 6:46 pm

We also had ‘out of season’ weather today, on the other side of the world. Shall we blame.. carbon emissions?
    It rarely snows here – maybe once every three to five years, but when it does, the radio goes into high-alert, issuing ‘Do NOT TRY TO DRIVE ANYWHERE’ warnings. Every time it does snow hundred of kiwi’s require rescue from their stranded vehicles. We just can’t get the idea of staying home because of weather.

Kelli H (Made in Sonoma) — January 21, 2012 at 6:47 pm

oh god, the drivers here in the rain are pathetic! It’s sooo painful! I’m a really bad driver in the snow, I will admit that! ;)

Best part of my saturday was relaxing and taking the pup on a walk w/ two girlfriends and their dogs.

Angela / Canned Time — January 21, 2012 at 6:48 pm

We had a little snow and a lot of cold here. Good thing I found the heart ice molds you talked about. http://cannedtime.blogspot.com/2012/01/valentines-day-chocolate-hearts.html
    Spent the day in the kitchen and it all turned out well except I ate too much sweet testing my creations. Great to have something come out right though. Thanks!

Victoria @ The Pursuit of Hippieness — January 21, 2012 at 7:13 pm

When I was living in LA, that always made me laugh… I remember my friends who are native to California refusing to go to class because the weather was “a nightmare” (when it was maybe drizzling). On the other hand, when it was 111 degrees in September, classes weren’t even cancelled, which I thought was a little extreme.

Gina @ Running to the Kitchen — January 21, 2012 at 7:28 pm

We got our first snowfall of the season and I literally did not get out of my pajamas all day. I don’t think I’ve ever done that before. I feel lazy but it was amazing and worth it at the same time! haha

Julie — January 21, 2012 at 7:34 pm

We were also rainy in the early half of the day. When I woke up, I immediately went to workout at my studio then it got warmer. I like going out shopping on gloomy days or if it’s gloomy ALL DAY, I’ll watch movies and eat my heart out.

Maren — January 21, 2012 at 7:55 pm

It was FREEZING and snow here today. No desire to go outside. Had to work a few hours this morning, hit up the gym this afternoon, and got all my laundry done and put away! Such a productive day for me! I told myself no sitting on the computer all day! :)

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — January 21st, 2012 at 11:33 pm

Sometimes I feel like sitting at my computer is the most productive use of time: mindless and I feel recharged. Sort of like Bravo or E Channel :)

Sarah @ blueeyedbarbie.blogspot.com — January 21, 2012 at 8:57 pm

Im in AZ and people are the same way. A little wind or rain and its utter chaos.

Also, im not a donut fan, but those look amazing.

Amanda @ Once Upon a Recipe — January 21, 2012 at 10:21 pm

I need to get myself a donut pan, stat! These look lovely!

Stacy @ Say It With Sprinkles — January 22, 2012 at 12:36 am

When it’s gloomy out, assuming I’ve gotten enough coffee in my system to make it out from under a pile of blankets, I like to hit the gym, re-organize, or bake!!

Sarah @ The Healthy Diva — January 22, 2012 at 1:16 am

It was pouring with rain here on saturday as well!!! But I mustered up the courage to face the weather and go to my lunch date. Had some really yummy food and great company so I’m glad I made the effort. But usually when it’s raining I’m in the kitchen baking. Is there really anything else you can do?!?!

Kathryn — January 22, 2012 at 2:01 am

You wouldn’t survive long in the UK, that’s what it looks like most of the time ;)

Tamizn — January 22, 2012 at 3:00 am

Its always grey in England! x x x

Elisabeth — January 22, 2012 at 3:11 am

I’ve lived/grown up in Michigan and Maine all of my life. When we visited my cousins in North Carolina one year they got maybe an inch of snow. Schools were canceled, roads were closed, and the grocery store shelves were nearly bare from people panicking that they’d be snowed in… apparently for weeks. I had never seen anything like it. It was funny.

Random, but in that shot of your yoga mat I love your floors! Dark wood floors are my favorite and yours are gorgeous.

Maris (In Good Taste) — January 22, 2012 at 4:03 am

Snow on the ground here in Chicago. Even with the rain, your photos are still gorgeous!

lauren@spicedplate — January 22, 2012 at 4:08 am

Hi Averie! I wanted to let you know my absence in comments is due to carpal tunnel, not a lack of reading — but I did have a question about those donuts…now that we have a donut pan…do you think replacing the pb with almond butter would still make them taste as yummy as they look in those photos?

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — January 22nd, 2012 at 9:46 am

Sorry to hear about your carpal tunnel!

I’m sure AB would be just fine. It tastes different than PB, of course. So do as you see fit but in terms of the recipe “working” it will be fine, I’m sure. Taste-wise, personal preference.

Heather @ Health, Happiness, and Hope — January 22, 2012 at 4:25 am

Hahahaha, yes we have learned to drive perfectly well in blizzards, glare ice, sleet, rain, hail, slush, black ice, snow, fog, and sunny skies of course ;) I honestly feel pretty lucky to have learned how to handle any weather thrown at me, but I’d take wet roads over most of our crazy weather any day!

I’m always the type that like to keep busy, so I’d probably head to the gym or do yoga at home… watching a movie is always a must though too!

Paula — January 22, 2012 at 5:19 am

Did the usual grocery shopping, laundry and kitchen activities. Made some brownies w/ caramel and watched the movie The Help w/ my family.

Heather (Where's the Beach) — January 22, 2012 at 7:06 am

I prefer to stay in when it’s icky out. It just feels so depressing. But, sometimes it really can make you feel better to get out and maybe go have lunch or something like that with a friend or your hubby. It’s definitely more conducive to productivity thought. Got nothing else to do.

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — January 22, 2012 at 7:54 am

On Saturday I worked at the University all day, and then went to my friends bridal shower. After the shower we went out dancing, and that was definitely the highlight of my weekend so far! Today, I am headed back to the university. Ugh.

Rebecca @ Naturally Healthy and Gorgeous — January 22, 2012 at 8:26 am

It’s a gloomy day in SC, too! We never get gloom!

katie @ KatieDid — January 22, 2012 at 8:28 am

We’ve been having lots of snow instead of the rain you’re having so it’s been a lot of laying low with a couple walks thrown in there to beat cabin fever. I did some cooking and photographing, a good lifetime movie, and hanging with friends.

Kelly @ Foodie Fiasco — January 22, 2012 at 8:42 am

Haha, people are so funny here is SoCal when it comes to rain, aren’t they? We’re so lucky with weather, but a few drops fall and you’d think the whole sky is coming down. ;)

Cortney — January 22, 2012 at 9:37 am

The only thing I like about rainy days are that they allow me to get caught up on things indoors! It did stop raining enough in the afternoon for me to take my little guy on a stroll though.

Also, thanks for the heads-up on the Cafe Bustelo coffee. I went to Target last night and they had some on clearance. I prepared some using the cold brew method over night and had it iced this morning with a touch of Peppermint Mocha creamer–delish. It has great flavor and the price is right, the perfect combination!

Pure2raw twins — January 22, 2012 at 10:29 am

it has been horrible weather here, rainy cold and no sun!!! missing sunny FL

Emily — January 22, 2012 at 10:50 am

Your donuts look so good! I have yet to try out my mini donut pan. Maybe I’ll get around to it today.
    San Diego looks gorgeous. What a beautiful place to live.

Amy Dowell — January 22, 2012 at 11:13 am
    Amber K — January 22, 2012 at 11:25 am

You’d think that people would know how to drive in the rain in Oregon, but nope! They get just as crazy here. It was sprinkling the other day and people were going like 10 miles an hour below the speed limit. Braking like crazy and just plain being nuts. I swear, people just don’t know how to drive anymore!

Marina — January 22, 2012 at 1:21 pm

I lived in Seattle for 10 years, so what would I do 250 rainy days a year? I would just ignore the rain, have some coffee at the local coffee shop, read The New York Times (it was my weekend routine back there), and get back home before everyone gets up. I loved that time! Now I live in Arkansas for another 1,5 year, and my weekend mornings are sooo different. Now it’s about reading the blogs I follow, cooking some healthy food, spending time as a family (if my husband is not on-call), and … yoga! Yes, am crazy about yoga. I started it last June and still can’t understand why I was so intimidated and didn’t start earlier?! I did make a pie, posted it at http://www.cowboycountryvegetarian.blogspot.com. And thanks for the inspiration! Those doughnuts looks delicious! Love your blog!

ash — January 22, 2012 at 2:27 pm

love your recipes!!!!!!!!!!!!

Deborah — January 22, 2012 at 2:53 pm

It was super wet and snowy here yesterday – I didn’t even leave the house!! And I’d love one of those donuts right now!

Malea — January 22, 2012 at 7:58 pm

I’ve been ignoring pretty much all the blogs I regularly read lately, but have been catching up today. OMG…those donuts are amazing! I’m def making some but peanut free. Hope they come out as amazing as those look!

What did you do on Saturday or what’s been the best part of your weekend so far? Saturday we stayed at home, and hung out in our pajamas ALL DAY LONG, and it was glorious! :)

What do you like to do when it’s gloomy, raining (or snowing) out? When the weather isn’t so nice, I love to keep the windows wide open and watch the sky. It is also the perfect excuse to snuggle under a blanket with tea close at hand, and a good book…at the moment I’m reading through all of Ayn Rand’s works. I had tried to read Rand before and couldn’t get into any of it. This time around, I am LOVING it all!

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — January 22nd, 2012 at 8:54 pm

I have an arsenal of peanut-free donuts in my dessert recipes section, under donuts…so enjoy if you make them!

Jessica — January 23, 2012 at 7:04 am

OMG, I made the Chocolate Donuts with Peanut Butter Glaze this morning and they.are.awesome. I have tried donuts from several other sites, and yours are the only ones that are THIS good! Thanks! (I make the cinnamon ones on a regular basis)

Sarah C — January 23, 2012 at 11:50 am

Saturday was spent running shoe shopping for the husband, and the running store was also packed. I moved from MN and agree with you about San Diego driving and rain – ridiculous. Also, I think we shop at the same Trader Joe’s… :)

Christine (The Raw Project) — January 23, 2012 at 3:27 pm

So true on driving, rain here has been adding complications here too. And so many drivers seem determined to distract themselves from the fact that they’re driving since it’s become such a mundane task with daily commutes, makes the road scary!

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — January 23rd, 2012 at 3:50 pm

“determined to distract themselves from the fact that they’re driving” — isn’t that the truth. I’m sure you see tons where you are, too. But on a daily basis, I’m always just floored!