January 2012 Recipes

I decided that in 2012, on the last day of each month, I am going to do a compilation post, highlighting everything I made during that month.

If you’re like me and see so many recipes on different blogs that you want to try, but then can’t remember where you saw something or even that you saw it until you see it again, consider the last day of the month as a memory refresher.

I can’t wait until the end of the year to be able to look back and see what I made, month by month, and remember, Oh those were the cookies I made on Skylar’s first day at her new school or there are the potatoes that I almost didn’t make but ended up being one of Scott’s favorites.  Looking back at the pictures of food that I made and remembering what the weather was like that time of year, special milestones of Skylar’s around that time, how I was feeling about life when I was rolling out little thumbprint cookies is fun for me.

It’s interesting how much I can remember about life in general as I look at old food pictures in old blog posts.  The feelings and memories the pictures conjure up months and years later is amazing, and I can’t wait to look back at this post in almost a year.

2011 Highlights were posted and we came home from our trip and I got busy in the kitchen.

January 2012 Recipes

Pretzel Peanut Caramel Peanut Butter Cookie Dough Truffles

White Chocolate Snickerdoodle Cookies

Ritz-Stuffed Peanut Butter Cups

Orange PushUp Smoothie (I think this is the highest viewed recipe I’ve ever made, thanks in large part to Pinterest)

Avocado Recipes

Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Bites

Strawberry Cake Mix Cookies with Vanilla Cream Cheese Frosting

Banana Cream Pudding Pie & Caramel Smoothie

Avocado, Cream Cheese and Salsa-Stuffed Puff Pastry

Deep Dish Chocolate Chip Cookies with Reese’s PB Cups & Peanut Butter M&M’s

Peanut Butter and Jelly Thumbprint Cookies

Caribbean Citrus Roasted Sweet Potatoes

Favorite Breakfast Recipes

Peanut Butter Cocoa Krispies Smores Bars

Sweet Potato Graham Cracker “French Toast” Sticks

What did you make in January that was memorable?

If you have wish-list items you want me to make, I’m all ears.

I do tend to prefer to bake and make sweet things rather than savory.  It tends to be more fun for me.

Plus, with food photography, I can make cookies ahead of time and photograph them at my leisure whereas hot tofu and quinoa and a salad with dressing on it for dinner isn’t so easy to just “wait” and photograph later on with better lighting.  Trying to take pictures with bad lighting and with hungry family members waiting to eat dinner is a recipe for a bad night, which why you don’t see as many savory recipes.

And, bottom line, I love dessert.

What’s on your to-make list?

47 Responses to “January 2012 Recipes”

Sarah @ Sarah's Modern Bites — January 31, 2012 at 3:29 pm

Pinterest DOES rock. It owns my soul during the work day.

I got introduced to coconut flour in January and I am now having a love affair with it. I made these coconut flour shortbread bars with a chocolate raspberry topping for a dinnerparty… They were a hit! ‘Healthy’ and super delicious! I am really looking forward to making more variations :)

How about some more savory dishes? I love to bake sweet stuff as well but it’s just me and my boyfriend and the dessert leftovers can really add up! Dessert happens much more infrequently than Bfast, lunch and dinner… So I bet those kinds of recipes/concoctions would come in handy on a more normal basis. Curious what you guys do for regular meals!

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — January 31st, 2012 at 3:42 pm

I actually just edited the bottom part of the post and fleshed out my thoughts on savory. I’ve said it before why I don’t blog a lot of savory meals but wrote it out. The lighting, the hungry family factor, etc. Plus, desserts are fun. I just love to bake!

Ellen — January 31, 2012 at 3:35 pm

Hmm, I think the most commented on recipe I made was a polenta pizza, which is here: http://scrumptiousgruel.wordpress.com/2012/01/27/almost-a-pizza-but-not-un-pizza-week-day-5/but my personal favorite was the salsa recipe I got from Brown-Eyed Baker:)

I NEED to make deep-dish cookies from your site!

Jenny — January 31, 2012 at 4:06 pm

I think I am most proud of my wasabi-crusted eggplant, as eggplant is usually not so appealing to me. And it was so surprising that my toddler twins liked it- although I think the wasabi peas I used may have been more mellow than other brands I’ve tried. I can’t believe I didn’t catch that avocado contest in time- I don’t know how I missed that. Avocado smoothies are amazing- especially with boba :)

Paula — January 31, 2012 at 4:35 pm

I’m trying out some different seasonings for my roasted roots, tubers and squash this winter (am I allowed to admit that when commenting on a dessert blog?!?!). There is definitely room for dessert experimentation and I use your method of making small batches so I can try lots of different things!

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — January 31st, 2012 at 5:13 pm

yes the small batch approach helps with the variety is the spice of (dessert) life approach I like to have.

TeenyLittleSuperChef — January 31, 2012 at 5:00 pm

Oh wow, thanks Averie for the recap from this past month. I hadn’t seen those graham cracker sticks or the peanut butter and jelly thumbprint cookies before, but now I can’t wait to give em a try. I’ve made the pretzel peanut butter cookie dough cookies probably 4 or 5 times now and they’ve always been a huge hit with everyone. They are definitely on the menu for my super bowl party this weekend. Your blog is always the first one I head to when I need a new idea for a cookie or other fun dessert recipe. I can’t wait to see what February has in store for LV&Y :)

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — January 31st, 2012 at 5:12 pm

You’ve made the pretzel peanut butter cookie dough cookies 4 or 5 times?! That’s awesome! And that they’re a hit…YAY. Thanks for telling me and the feedback; much appreciated!!

xo

Angela / Canned Time — January 31, 2012 at 5:01 pm

I love your desserts and especially the new gadgets you show (even though you say your kitchen is too full, I can relate) But its great to see what you come up with as a result of the new gadget. Your month end wrap up is very helpful. Don’t forget your nature photos though. I remember when you went on your trip, I looked forward each day to seeing those wonderful new shots of the beach, or flowers, gorgeous!

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — January 31st, 2012 at 5:12 pm

Glad you enjoy my gadgets and “show and tell” posts. Sometimes I talk about things and think, well, I bet a thousand people think I’m a dork for talking about a cookie scoop or a chocolate mold or whatever like it’s the best thing ever but sometimes, that day or that week, it was a pretty stellar find :)

Beach pics will resume on our next trip, probably the summer or for sure Dec.

Kelly @ Foodie Fiasco — January 31, 2012 at 5:16 pm

Hmm… what’s on my to-make list? All of this.

ALL of it. ;)

Anna @ On Anna's Plate — January 31, 2012 at 5:42 pm

Love this post idea– you’ve made some great eats this month!!! Those french toast sticks are going to haunt my mouth until I make them :-)

vanillasugarblog — January 31, 2012 at 5:44 pm

it’s wild how pinterest makes the recipes you forgot about the most popular.
    like my coconut truffles from decades ago are the most popular now
    i love all those avocado recipes….keep those coming…..

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — January 31st, 2012 at 6:12 pm

Pinterest is a crazy medium. I have this recipe for a 3 ingredient microwave granola bar that I wrote years ago and all of a sudden in the past week, that post has been viewed a highly ridiculous insane amount of times. And the same with the orange smoothie. Yet there are recipes that I make and think, wow, this was soooo gooooood, but it gets very little lovin’. You just never know.

ash — January 31, 2012 at 5:58 pm

deep dish cookies and lentil pizza!

Lisa is Raw on $10 a Day (or Less) — January 31, 2012 at 6:32 pm

OMG, the orange push ups!!! I remember those … loved ‘em! Can’t wait to make this recipe!

Heather (Where's the Beach) — January 31, 2012 at 7:01 pm

I just love looking at the photos. I swear I can just reach through the screen and grab a bite!

JulieD — January 31, 2012 at 7:37 pm

why can’t we be neighbors? I would love the sugar overload!! Love this post!

Risotto is on my to make this year…can you believe I have never made it before?

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — January 31st, 2012 at 8:06 pm

I’ve only made risotto once…like 5-6 years ago!

I’d love to be neighbors with you! We could talk cake, baking, and picture taking for ages!

Tracey — January 31, 2012 at 7:54 pm

Great collection of recipes this month! I so wish I was sitting on that beach in the first pic right now :) My favorite thing I posted this month was probably cheddar ale soup – pure winter comfort food.

Michele Sparrow — January 31, 2012 at 8:04 pm

What did I make this month that was memorable? The ironic answer to that question is that it is one of your recipes! LOL! Thumbprints, thank you very much! :-)

I want to make some kind of zucchini pasta dish at some point. I am kind of getting tired of a salad every night for dinner and I just got a spiralizer, like 3 days ago! Gotta use it soon!

Natalie@fitjamericangirl — January 31, 2012 at 8:32 pm

Your photos are amazing. If you could try another pastry type baked good that would be much appreciated :)

Julie — January 31, 2012 at 9:27 pm

My favorite this month Pretzel Peanut Caramel Peanut Butter Cookie Dough Truffles, Ritz-Stuffed Peanut Butter Cups, Avocado, Cream Cheese and Salsa-Stuffed Puff Pastry, and Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Bites, all of which are on my list of things to make!

It’s amazing how you have 4 recipes I LOVE in 1 month when I can rarely find even 4 recipes in a month! Keep ‘em coming!

Sarah @ The Healthy Diva — January 31, 2012 at 10:05 pm

Mine just scrapped through as the last recipe in january…but it was definitely the best….made some grain free cranberry orange mini muffins. An ode to my childhood fav which was hostess mini muffins! But these are way healthier and tastier :) On my to make like is your caribbean roasted sweet potatoes and PB&J thumbprint cookies for valentines day!

lindsay — January 31, 2012 at 10:28 pm

please remind me to have a napkin when reading your posts with recipe recaps. I am drooling everywhere!

Norma Chang — February 1, 2012 at 5:39 am

Love your idea of doing a compilation post on the last day of each month. This is my first time visiting your blog and really enjoy your posts. I will be regular visitor.

Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit — February 1, 2012 at 5:43 am

This is a great idea, Averie! I often feel like my recipes have such a short ‘shelf life’ they’re popular for one day, and then they get hidden by the next up and coming post. I love the idea of doing a monthly roundup!

Rachel @ The Avid Appetite — February 1, 2012 at 7:45 am

so much deliciousness in so little time!! My favorite thing I made were my blue velvet Giants cupcakes…can’t wait for the Superbowl!

Aylin @ Glow Kitchen — February 1, 2012 at 7:57 am

The Ritz-Stuffed Peanut Butter Cups have me drooling right now. I must make them asap.

julie — February 1, 2012 at 8:06 am

Thank you so much for the compilation post! I just recently discovered your blog and it’s fantastic!

Brigitte — February 1, 2012 at 9:31 am

Before Christmas I decided to go vegan again because it is just soooo much healthier (and I was a bit overweight…) Now I have lost already 2 dress sizes (I never weigh myself), got rid of my asthma and feel so much better but… once in a while you have to indulge in something but I still want to feel it’s not overly processed and still a bit healthy and that’s when I found your site ! It is great ! I just made your chocolate chip raw cookie dough balls and they are so good – I get a really urge for chocolate once a month (you now when) and these are just great + the fact that you freeze the left overs is a thumbs up!
    I will never buy a Luna bar again ! Now even when I am bit naughty I now what i am eating is still not that bad… Thank you Averie ! BTW I love your pictures and reading about your daily life ! Keep up the good work ! Greetings from sunny Florida !

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — February 1st, 2012 at 2:04 pm

Thanks for LMK you made the chocolate chip cookie dough balls and that it’s saving you money on not buying bars! Thanks for reading and for the sweet comment :)

• Jean replied: — February 20th, 2012 at 6:26 pm

Brigitte~~I really like your post and hearing of your great weight loss. I was wondering if you could email me and let me know how you managed to do it. Did you go to the gym too to help with it?

I had found this website today and am really liking some of the recipes on here. I can’t wait to try some of them soon. I am going to have to bookmark this site. Thanks Averie for all your hard work on this website and for all the many recipes.

Amber K — February 1, 2012 at 10:16 am

Your pictures have a way of making me crave dessert even more than I already do. I’m thinking that’s a good thing :) Pinterest is definitely one of the coolest things ever. I love using it mostly to find awesome recipes.

I didn’t actually make much of anything in January considering I spent almost 75% of it on the couch injured, but I think February is going to turn out to be a tasty month.

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — February 1st, 2012 at 2:01 pm

I love Pinterest, too. And I hope you’re on the mend and that Feb will be a better month for you.

Alison @ Ingredients, Inc. — February 1, 2012 at 2:45 pm

wow too many great things here!! Happy Wednesday Hump Day

Luv What You Do — February 1, 2012 at 7:08 pm

Wow!
    What a sweet and successful month. I love the recap idea. I’ll look forward to it!

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — February 2, 2012 at 5:25 pm

My to-make list is ridiculously long!! Good thing I have everything organized with bookmarks on my computer. I made a few memorable things in January including the best chocolate cake I have ever had.