KitchenAid Stand Mixer

After years of wanting one, it finally happened.

The kitchen appliance Gods came through for me with a KitchenAid Professional 600 Series Bowl-Lift Stand Mixer in Nickle Pearl.

I also had a coupon that helped offset some of the cost, helping to make my new BFF a reality.

The only thing I’ve made so far in it is frosting.

But since I am no stranger to baking, rest assured there will be…

Cookies

Peanut Butter Oatmeal White Chocolate Chip Cookies

Oatmeal Raisin Cookies

And Brownies

Fudgy Nutella Brownies with Cream Cheese Frosting

And pans of Bars being made in it…

White Chocolate Vanilla Marshmallow Cake Bars

Samoas Bars (Vegan & GF options)

Now, let me go hug my lover.

What’s your favorite kitchen appliance or most used appliance?

I have a Favorite Kitchen Appliances & Items post where I discuss hits, misses, and over-rated appliances, in my opinion.

Also, my favorite Baking Supplies

My Vita tops the hit list and so does a good knife and a cutting board.  I have my knife and cutting board out umpteen times a day slicing something.  A good knife is just as important as anything else.

Do you have any kitchen appliances on your wish list?

I have wanted this for years and suffice to say I bake.  A lot.  I know I will use it.

Up until now, every single recipe on my site for the past three years, I have made by hand.  I really can’t believe it, but it’s true.

With rare exception, I don’t even bother taking out my little cheapie hand mixer.  Anything more than egg whites and it can’t handle the dough and smells like burning plastic.  My biceps, triceps, and elbow grease have been my appliance of choice.  Until now.

I want a Beater Blade, too, for it as many people just rave about them.

There are amazing deals to be had on stand mixers on the KitchenAid site in their Outlet Store section; from Bed Bath & Beyond with a 20% off coupon, on Ebay, Craigslist, Amazon.com, and online.

Various department stores like Kohl’s or Macy’s will run specials and sales on stand mixers (and other higher ticket appliances) and will also offer coupons or money back if you spend a certain dollar amount, making the 5 quart KitchenAid mixers in the low $1oo range.

Persistence and online deal-trolling is key.

Happy Baking!

110 Responses to “KitchenAid Stand Mixer”

Amber Shea @Almost Vegan — January 9, 2012 at 3:04 pm

WOOHOO! Congrats on the new “baby”! She’s a beaut. ;)

Brooke — January 9, 2012 at 3:05 pm

YAY! Congrats! I’ve wanted one for forever too!

Brooke

Kris — January 9, 2012 at 3:09 pm

CONGRATS! I know you’ve been wanting one of these forever… :D

I love mine, but honestly it’s one of my least used appliances these days… I do use it and it is definitely functional and efficient. You really should get one of those spatula paddles you talked about recently – they are AWESOME indeed.

Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga — January 9, 2012 at 3:29 pm

For me, my least used is my dehyd. Like…once a year, maybe. I love the theory just 24 hours til things are ready…not so much.

emily (a nutritionist eats) — January 9, 2012 at 3:09 pm

Yay!!! I’m glad you finally got one, you deserve it with all of the baking you do! I’m feeling inspired to bust mine out!!! :)

Heather the Polka Dot Bandit — January 9, 2012 at 3:09 pm

Even though I have a KitchenAid mixer, I still drool over that one. I have no use for one either. What’s wrong with me?

Let’s see, favorite appliances… My mixer, my KitchenAid immersion blender, my giant steamer, my bread machine. This could go on forever, so I’ll just stick with my top four.

I think I am running relatively low on things on my wish list, but I do want a candy coating drum for my mixer… someday.

Stephanie @ Ultra Ambitious — January 9, 2012 at 3:09 pm

I can’t believe with all the baking you do that you didn’t have a stand mixer! I used to have one, but seem to prefer my hand mixer nowadays. A Vitamix is #1 on my kitchen wish list!!

elise — January 9, 2012 at 3:10 pm

be forewarned that you may have to tweak your recipes a bit now. my stand mixer got me all confused in baking…i ended up going back to old fashioned hand mixing because i was overbeating things and cookies were going splat. the trick i use now is chilling the dough before baking with it.

Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga — January 9, 2012 at 3:14 pm

Thanks for the info and yes, chilled dough is KEY. Even without the stand mixer, I always try to chill my dough b/c chilled dough = puffier and chewier cookies rather than paper thin crunchy little flat pancake cookies. Interesting that you went back to hand mixing.

Emily Hege — January 9, 2012 at 3:19 pm

Thats awesome! Thats also my favorite kitchen appliance. You did right by yourself to get the model you did- the other one is just not as powerful and you are a serious baker so it will stand up to all the goodies you make. I learned that little tid bit from my mom who’s a chef. I make everything from baked goods to mashed potatoes (yes really) to bread in that mamma jamma. Enjoy!

Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga — January 9, 2012 at 3:44 pm

Oh I know plenty of people who make mashed potatoes in it…why not! I mean, save the elbow grease. And thanks for the affirmation on the model I selected. I was also looking at the new 7 qt but that’s SO HUGE i didnt want the storage issues…and another couple hundred, too.

Kaitlyn@TheTieDyeFiles — January 9, 2012 at 3:22 pm

Congrats! It’s going to change your life! I love my mixer, and I’m already loving my new Vita and my juicer, and my newish dehydrator!

Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga — January 9, 2012 at 3:43 pm

Juicer and dehyd were flash in the pan items for me…nice, but not things I use very much (cleanup time, prep/wait time) but the Vita…that is a daily use. Glad you love ALL of your appliances!

Anna @ On Anna's Plate — January 9, 2012 at 3:24 pm

You’re gonna LOVE it. Period. :-)

Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga — January 9, 2012 at 3:42 pm

Coming from you b/c I know you know your way around the kitchem I’ll take that and trust you.

Lauren @ Lawfully Wedded Wife — January 9, 2012 at 3:31 pm

YAY!!! This is the SAME EXACT ONE I got for Christmas! I love it so much and I know you are loving yours too! :D

Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga — January 9, 2012 at 3:41 pm

No way?! And a photographer/blogger friend of mine just told me today that he has the exact same one, too. Congrats on yours!

Heather @ Get Healthy with Heather — January 9, 2012 at 3:41 pm

My kitchen aid mixer is definitely my absolute favorite appliance. My hubs got me one for Christmas a few years back (before we were even married, he must love me :) ), and I remember hugging it when I opened it. You will love it so so so much!!!

Gina @ Running to the Kitchen — January 9, 2012 at 3:42 pm

Gorgeous :) I can’t even believe you didn’t have one before with all the baking you do! I love mine.

Kristi @ My San Francisco Kitchen — January 9, 2012 at 3:44 pm

Oh my, I just got one 3 days ago for my birthday! I have also been waiting FOREVER. Its so much fun I love mine. Have fun! :)

Krissy {Krissy's Creations} — January 9, 2012 at 3:47 pm

Yah! I wouldn’t know what I would do without my mixer. It’s my favorite tool & I use it every day :). Those pictures of your cookies and bars are making me hungry — I think I’m going to make those Samoas Bars!

Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga — January 9, 2012 at 4:00 pm

I know I was reading on your site that when you travel w/ your hubs…you bring it with :)

If you make the Samoas Bars, they get better with time and don’t be alarmed if they seem a little oily…it will re-absorb within 24 hrs and freezing/thawing the bars can also help if there’s oil. Coconut flakes have oil and some people get concerned so just mentioning it :)

Cassie — January 9, 2012 at 3:49 pm

Congrats! My KitchenAid mixer is by far my favorite kitchen tool. Enjoy!!

Jess @ Keeping It Real Food — January 9, 2012 at 3:50 pm

My food processor and rice cooker get a lot of use. I don’t know what I’d do without the food processor, especially. I used to have an immersion blender, but my ex took that when he moved out (ok, technically it was his), and I’ve been missing it. That’s on my wishlist now, along with a juicer—I’d love to get in the habit of making my own green juice, as it’s way too expensive to justify buying it every day!

Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga — January 9, 2012 at 3:59 pm

juicer is mentioned in my appliances roundup post i linked..for me personally, the CLEANUP time means I don’t/won’t juice. It’s 5 mins to wash the produce, 5-10 mins to juice it, and 10 mins to wash it all and dry it and put it away. We’re at a half hour for a glass of juice…not happening for me :(

katie @ KatieDid — January 9, 2012 at 3:57 pm

Congrats :) I know that’ll be put to great use in your kitchen. I think in mine it would collect dust, so it’s not something necessarily on my wish list but I can definetely appreciate a quality piece of cookware. For me- I just got a couple of great knives that I use daily like you said, and a le crueset cast iron that I’ve fallen in love with!

Erica — January 9, 2012 at 3:59 pm

Whooooop! LOVE mine! Can’t be without now that I have one!! Like the color a lot! Other appliances I use a ton? Um my grind and brew pot!

Aimee @ ShugarySweets — January 9, 2012 at 3:59 pm

Congrats, I don’t think I would bake without one. Okay, probably exaggerating, but I know I wouldn’t bake if I didn’t have a dishwasher, haha!!

And I LOVE my stoneware baking pans. I do all my cookie baking on them, so no need for parchment paper!

Katie — January 9, 2012 at 4:08 pm

Love it. Bout time too; if there is anyone I know who will put this bad boy through its paces and then some, it is you! A well-deserved purchase. Where did you end up getting it? Love the color you chose too!

Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga — January 9, 2012 at 4:27 pm

Thanks for saying this b/c I feel that way!
      “if there is anyone I know who will put this bad boy through its paces and then some, it is you! A well-deserved purchase.”

I got it from Wayfair (linked in post) and the color was the only one they offered in that model but I like it!

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey — January 9, 2012 at 4:09 pm

You are going to be having a love affair with this mixer. I loooove my kitchen aid!

Betsy — January 9, 2012 at 4:20 pm

Oh-so-pretty! You lucky gal! I LUST for a vitamix. My blender gets a workout daily, for smoothies. I would love to retire it and get a vitamix, but talk about expensive, and they never have coupons for those babies! oh well.

Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga — January 9, 2012 at 4:26 pm

I’m a Vitamix distributor http://www.loveveggiesandyoga.com/shop
      and they run specials on refurbished Vita’s and also check ebay and craigslist. You can find some deals or get a factory refurbed one and save $100 or more off retail. Just be persistent and keep checking and if you find the right one, you have to be ready to jump on it.

TeenyLittleSuperChef — January 9, 2012 at 4:30 pm

Holy mother of yummy-ness! I almost licked my computer screen looking at all the pics of your cookies and bars. Especially those Peanut Butter White Choc chip cookies. I think if I made a batch of those right now, I could die (fat) and happy. Thanks for the great recipe once again, Averie. You are the yoga/cookie Queen!

Sally @ Spontaneous Hausfrau — January 9, 2012 at 4:30 pm

Yay! I’m so happy for you. Congrats and wishing you many happy moments with your new “baby” ;)

Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar — January 9, 2012 at 4:36 pm

What a beauty! You lucky girl!! Can’t wait to see what you come up with!

lauren@spicedplate — January 9, 2012 at 4:38 pm

Congrats on your new member of your kitchen appliance family — and it’s so lovely! Have so much fun!

Katie — January 9, 2012 at 4:43 pm

YAY! So glad the kitchen gods blessed you ; )

I can’t wait to get one some day, when we have a house, no room now! <3

Liz (Little Bitty Bakes) — January 9, 2012 at 4:54 pm

Yay, for KitchenAid mixers! I love my pretty sky blue one. It’s actually been in storage for like… 6 months… that makes me sad to think about. But I’m excited to take it out of storage soon! You’ll love how EASY it is to whip up cookie dough. Dangerously easy. ;)

Nicole — January 9, 2012 at 4:58 pm

Hooray! Congrats!
    I received a stand mixer for Christmas about 12 years ago…but it sat in the box for almost 8 years. The horror! I had tiny apartment or condo kitchens and just never had room to store or use it. Now it’s one of my kitchen besties. My kitchen trifecta is the stand mixer, food processor, and stick blender.

Heather (Where's the Beach) — January 9, 2012 at 5:05 pm

Woohoo!!!!! You totally deserve that appliance! I want one, but know it’s not the most practical appliance. For me it’s my food processors (yes plural LOL)

Allie @ sweet potato bites — January 9, 2012 at 5:14 pm

i got a kitchen aid mixer for christmas and i’m totally in love. it’s life changing for sure.

Meg @ Sweet Twist — January 9, 2012 at 5:41 pm

I have that one and I could never live with out it. I am also dying for the beater blade….think I am going to order that very soon.

natasha — January 9, 2012 at 5:41 pm

OOOOOH I love the color of yours. I bought myself one in “ice blue” for Christmas. Sometimes self presents really are the best, aren’t they?! I also puchased the clear glass bowl as well because it is cool to watch what you are mixing and the kids love to see when they are helping. I got mine on sale plus it had a $30 rebate so it was really calling my name.

Other appliances… I use my waffle iron very often (3 kids), my mini-chopper daily (for the baby and for pureeing bananas for oatmeal, etc), and my dehydrator at least twice a week. I use my blender a few times a week for spinach/fruit smoothies but it’s a cheap one. One day I WILL get a Vitamix! Oh and my juicer! I go through phases where I use it daily and then will go a week or two without using it at all becuase I know if I don’t intend to wash it immediately then I should not get it out!

Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga — January 9, 2012 at 9:46 pm

I want a glass bowl too b.c the stainless is already a PITA to get fully fingerprint-free.

Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga — January 9, 2012 at 9:47 pm

Oh and juicing..I dont juice b/c as I told another commenter, 5 mins to wash produce, 10 mins to juice it, 10 mins to cleanup, or more. So a half hour for juice..not happening!

Paige @ Running Around Normal — January 9, 2012 at 5:47 pm

Ohhh girl. Get ready for your life to be CHANGED! :)

Sarah — January 9, 2012 at 6:06 pm

My KitchenAid’s #1 use is for frosting. It’s all good :D

Ryan — January 9, 2012 at 6:18 pm

I have a hand me down Kitchen Aid mixer circa 1965 (no joke) and it still works but I certainly wouldn’t complain about having the nice, new one you have! Its a kitchen MUST! Since I still have a working stand mixer, all new appliances in my kitchen are on my list of things to replace in my house this year. I’m hoping to switch to a gas stove.

Happy baking with your new toy! :)

Colleen — January 9, 2012 at 6:32 pm

Long time reader, first time responder…. Congrats. I LOVE my mixer and can’t imagine life w/o it. I use it daily as I know you will, too. My biggest want item is a vita. I have 2 ninjas and they are awesome and can even make peanut butter, but….. We can all dream, right?!

J3nn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) — January 9, 2012 at 6:46 pm

Yay, you got it. :) she’s a beauty!! Nothing like that new mixer smell! Hehe. I like the short bowl. It would suit my height better than the taller ones. Congrats, can’t wait to drool over the babies you make with her, LOL. Only a blogger would find that amusing.

Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers — January 9, 2012 at 6:47 pm

Congrats! I have had my mixer for years! I stored it in the garage until this fall, when I got the urge to make bread. Now it sits in an awkward place on my counter since I don’t know where to put it! I love it! My favorite appliance is my Cuisnart 14 cup food processor, with my stand mixer coming in 2nd. For Christmas I got a big Crockpot, the one that sautes, steams, bakes, warms and more, but I haven’t used it yet. It’s big, so I have to figure out what to cook, where I’ll enjoy the left overs for days and days. Thats also on my counter and I have limited space for all of these fun appliances. I really need a kitchen makeover. I am so excited to see what you bake with your Kitchen Aid! You must make some form of bread. I made honey wheat rolls that are really good and pretty easy to make. Think of all the goodies you could put in it, wheat bran, oatmeal, flax seed, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, you could even make a bread with chocolate. Ok, I am totally getting to excited for you! Again congratulations, you will love it!!

Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga — January 9, 2012 at 9:44 pm

Trust me, my kitchen is busting at the seams with appliances. It’s ridic but hey, Im trying to make it work. Good luck on your appliance storage, too.

heather @ http://itsyummytomytummy.blogspot.com/ — January 9, 2012 at 7:04 pm

Congrats on the the new addition! I just got one for Christmas myself too! I’ve wanted one for like 10 years now. So I was soo treated by my husband and kids this year. It was awesome, and yes, I am in love with mine too :)

Michele Sparrow — January 9, 2012 at 7:17 pm

Oh, super yay! I am so happy that you finally got a KitchenAid, Averie!! You, of all people, NEED to have one with all that baking you do. I love mine and always make my mashed potatoes in them! :-)

My favorite kitchen appliances are: VitaMix, KitchenAid, and my trusty little tea kettle. I boil water for every cup of tea and brew my coffee by the cup!

Congrats on scoring such a great gift! :-)

Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga — January 9, 2012 at 9:43 pm

Well it wasn’t fully a gift. I had some partial gift card credit which was a bonus for sure :)

Love that you brew by the cup. That is so old school and lovely!

J @ ... semplicemente j ... — January 9, 2012 at 7:31 pm

This is one of my favorite kitchen appliances … I love mine … (I think I have the same color … looks like it from the pic) … I am not a baker … so you will probably use it more than I do … I still adore it no matter how much use I get out of it.

I love making my meringues, my pasta, my desserts … must admit I have yet to try mashed potatoes … and it looks good even when not in use … so what more would you want from an appliance right!

mi-an — January 9, 2012 at 7:51 pm

congrats girlee!! you finally got one!! i still haven’t gotten my lover, vitamix…but one day it will come. as of now, my fave is the juicer!! breville ikon baby!

Ellen — January 9, 2012 at 7:53 pm

Color me jealous-KItchenaid anything is awesome. I finally got a food processor, which tied for top honors on my wish list with a stand mixer. A blender is a distant second.
    Meanwhile my immersion blender is my favorite item I actually own. It’s the easy clean-up factor that gets me…

Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga — January 9, 2012 at 9:42 pm

I want an imm blender one day, too. I think it would be a fun and practical little item.

Ellen — January 9, 2012 at 10:43 pm

I use mine every day to make my protein shake right in a big glass. So much easier to rinse off rather than needing to wash a whole blender jar.

marla — January 9, 2012 at 8:25 pm

Averie, I have the same exact mixer. You will LOVE it. Mine is not used nearly as much as yours will be…can’t wait to see all you whip up :) Enjoy! xo

Bria @ West of Persia — January 9, 2012 at 8:29 pm

Congrats! I’m super excited for you :-)

Kelly @ Foodie Fiasco — January 9, 2012 at 8:43 pm

Congragulations! A stand mixer is a milestone, and I’m so glad you got one! It’s makes a New Year’s Resolution of delicious food that much easier. ;)

Ela — January 9, 2012 at 10:36 pm

I’ve been looking out for this post for a while, I knew you really wanted one–congrats! I was so curious to see what you’d make with it, and now I guess I will.

You haven’t been making so many raw desserts lately, right? (I know super complicated and super expensive ingredients and all the nuts kinda offputting at times)–but those cakes in Sweet Gratitude call for a mixer, and some of them are really good at the Cafe itself, anyway!
    love
    Ela

Julie — January 9, 2012 at 11:30 pm

Best thing ever purchased. Mine is pistachio green and I bought it online on sale. I never could make meringues before I got it!

You inspired me to want both a DONUT PAN and eventually, a Silpat.