New Coffee Maker

I mentioned on Monday that I had a really hard time getting out of bed, that it was raining, and that it was just one of those mornings.

But the show went on and I dropped Skylar off at school, went for a run, did errands, handled life, blogging, cooking, photography, phone calls, and before I knew it, it was 2pm and I hadn’t had coffee.

And I was in caffeine withdrawal.

I turned on my coffee maker and it wouldn’t make coffee.

Surely this was a very cruel joke played by the Coffee Gods on a rainy Monday to someone who’d only gotten through her day on mental promises that a cuppa ‘joe was just around the corner.  And yes, I play mental mind games with myself such as, Respond to these 20 emails, then you can have a second cup.

After begging with my old coffee maker, asking it nicely, and pleading gently with it to just make me one more pot, I realized it was dead.  Recently, I sensed it was on its last leg because it was loud, clicking, and seemed a little temperamental.

It was an older version of this model and I made thousands of pots in it in the four years I had it.

I liked the carafe-less feature (no glass to break or stainless pots to get spots on i) but just pushing a lever and having coffee dispensed didn’t work out as easily because I usually put my coffee in a tall to-go-cup, and the go cup didn’t fit under the lever dispenser so I’d have to pour coffee into a cup into a short cup and then dump two short cups into my one tall go cup.

After it was evident that my machine was a goner and wasn’t going to brew just one more pot for me, I drove to Coffer Maker Heaven, aka Bed Bath & Beyond.

Good thing I hoard a stash of BB & B coupons and they never expire.  (Most stores will allow you to cash them in but it is up to the store’s discretion.  At probably over 20 BB & B stores in about 10 states, I’ve never been denied.  I have been told by a few readers their store is a stickler for rules and won’t redeem expired ones, but that neighboring stores allow it.)

Coffee Maker Overload.

So many choices.

Just what I didn’t need was shopping for an appliance when all I did need was coffee.

It was an ironic twist seeing all the coffee makers but not a drop of coffee.

There were more expensive ones that ground beans and gave you a foot massage while you waited for your coffee.  Or something like that.

But I really didn’t want anything too fancy.

The shorter the height of the machine, the better given my limited kitchen storage space.

I wanted a 12-cup maker, but didn’t care if it had a glass or stainless carafe, nor if it was program-able, or had autoshutoff.

So I debated between these three

And I got this one.

With a coupon, after tax, it was $25 bucks; which is 4 or 5 trips to Starbucks.

It makes 12 cups, is shorter in stature than most and fits underneath my cupboards on my countertop much better than my old one did.

Plus, I like that it’s not too fancy.  I don’t need a high tech coffee pot because when I need coffee, I don’t want too much tech.

I just want coffee.

I’ve only made one pot from it, but the coffee was just fine.

This is what I brewed.

And I slurped it down.

x 2

Ironically, I just did a post about coffee last week

And I have a Coffee Reviews Post

Excuse me while I have a Chocolate Peanut Butter Oat Square (No-Bake, Vegan, GF) and enjoy some more coffee.

Do you have a coffee pot that you love?  Do you think brand, price paid, or other factors impact the taste of the coffee?

I bought an espresso maker (which also makes coffee but it’s not as convenient as just making a pot of coffee and I rarely use it; along with the juicer and dehydrator I rarely use.

For me, it’s the type of coffee more so than the brand of coffee maker that seems to make the most difference.

What’s the last appliance you bought?

This Lovely Lady was my last prior to the coffee maker.

P.S. I hope you’re celebrating National Peanut Butter Day

Maybe with a Peanut Butter and Jelly Thumbprint (No-Bake, Vegan, GF)

Thanks for the Chobani Yogurt Giveaway entries

67 Responses to “New Coffee Maker”

Jes Suazo — January 24, 2012 at 4:15 pm

A day without coffee is always so hard! So glad you found a new coffee maker. If that one dies in the next 5 years–a Keurig is a fabulous piece of appliance. Simple. Quick. Coffee when you need it. :)

Heather (Where's the Beach) — January 24, 2012 at 4:18 pm

Not a bad price. I’m with you – coffee makers should never be complicated.

vanillasugarblog — January 24, 2012 at 4:36 pm

do you know i have so many coffee makers in the house (from the sponsored posts) and I don’t use any of them. I stick to my Starbuck Via’s? Wild i know, but those via’s are perfectly strong for me.
    I’m hoping that Keurig will come calling soon. lol

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — January 24th, 2012 at 5:32 pm

After the coffee withdrawals passed, I realized that deep in my cupboard, I had two packets of Via. Silly me.

You and me both on the Keurig :)

jackie @ marin mama cooks — January 24, 2012 at 4:44 pm

Hey girl! I love my capresso. We have had it for 8 years and it still brews a perfect pot of coffee. It has the thermal carafe so the coffee stays warm. I just bring the thermos to the dining room table in the morning and keep it pouring. I need my morning cup of joe and the darker the beans the better. It’s not that I really need the caffeine as I am a total spaz, but I just like the taste of it with my breakfast (my grapenuts of course because I am a creature of habit).

The last two things I bought that I am in love with are my 2 cast iron pans. I have a 10″ and a 12″ and I am using them all the time. They are also priced so well, $28 and $22, can’t beat that!

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — January 24th, 2012 at 5:32 pm

that’s a great price on cast iron! Capresso..have almost bought one, many times. Good to know you love it!

Marina — January 24, 2012 at 4:46 pm

Oh my, oh my! Congratulation on your new coffee maker! I make coffee the very old fashion way, oh wait, it’s Turkish way actually… in something similar to this http://www.amazon.com/Turkish-Coffee-Pot-cezve-ibrik/dp/B000UQ1J18 And I don’t drink that much coffee anymore. A funny story comes to my mind. In my office back in Seattle, whoever came first to the office would start a coffee maker. Because I and a few other people started very early in the morning, it would’ve been one of us to add coffee, water, etc. One morning I came to the kitchen, started a coffee maker, put my cup in line, and left. When coffee was ready, one of my co-worker poured it into my cup and brought it to me (we had great and caring people!). I looked at the cup, smelled the coffee and… realized I don’t want coffee anymore!!! Since I’ve been drinking coffee two-tree times a month, no cravings… My latest purchase was yogurt maker, and I love it!

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — January 24th, 2012 at 5:36 pm

What a pretty item in that link. Ironically I got something recently that’s similar but havent used it yet.

Yogurt maker…that’s a fun one!

katie @ KatieDid — January 24, 2012 at 5:37 pm

Oh man I’m not sure I’d make it that far into the day without my beloved coffee. I used to use a french press but my roommate recently brought home a mini one cup coffee pot, really cheap, but it works just fine and I really love the fact that I can just set it and forget about it until whenever I’m ready (unlike a french press that takes more attention). I don’t think the kind of maker affects the taste at all either.

• Kat replied: — February 8th, 2012 at 4:44 am

I was going to suggest a French press- they don’t break.

Sassy Stephanie — January 24, 2012 at 5:40 pm

Smart move. I always go for the cheap ones, since NOTHING is made like in the past! I don’t care if it’s a $500 vaccuum or a $25 vaccuum, they are all cheaply made crap!!

Do you have to use the BB&B coupons with YOUR name on them? If not, I can mail you some…I don’t have a store too near me and rarely go. I can start saving them for you if they work.

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — January 24th, 2012 at 6:35 pm

The BB&B coupons dont have to have a name on them, mine or anyone’s. They just accept them :) Most stores don’t seem to care.

And yes on the el cheapo for many things…I’ve learned that a $30 hair dryer is just as good as a $150 tourmaline ionic this or that; same with coffee makers or toasters. Other things, well, a Vitamix really is worth it. But most things…I’m with you!

dragonmamma/naomi — January 24, 2012 at 5:57 pm

You mean you actually did without a cup of coffee until you bought a new maker and brought it home?! I’d have definitely made a trip to Starbucks beforehand!

I got rid of a Mr. Coffee because it never brewed at a high enough temperature, and it always came out tasting like warm, dirty water. I doubt that they’re all like that; I think I just had a lemon. I’ve been using a Cuisinart (with a 12-cup glass carafe) for the past couple of years and I love it.
    We have a Keurig in the break room at work, and that’s good, too. (They provide a nice selection of pods for us.) I like how speedy it is so I’m not wasting precious coffee-break time waiting for a cup to brew.

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — January 24th, 2012 at 6:37 pm

This Mr Coffee actually brewed hot, nice and hot. And the coffee tasted better in it than in the $120 other machine I had (Cuisinart), granted it was 4 yrs old now.

And I think I was in a brain fog from lack of caffeine; clearly should have just gone to Starbucks as my crutch.

kaizenfer — January 24, 2012 at 6:07 pm

I go always for Cuisinart 1200, so I buy my bold grinned from Starbucks and I am ready for the day. The deal is to keep clean the coffee maker, I do not believe in tassimo coffee makers with a little cups is a waste of money, paper not green at all.

Thanks

Liz (Little Bitty Bakes) — January 24, 2012 at 6:10 pm

I don’t need a fancy coffee maker either, but if you find the one that gives you a foot massage, clue me in! ;)

Kerry @ Totes My Oats — January 24, 2012 at 6:50 pm

First off, I commend you for making it that long into the day without coffee – you’re a better lady than me! I would have died. I have a fancy Cuisinart coffee maker… in my closet! I’m a college student and my roommate doesn’t drink coffee so I have a little GE 4-cupper the does the trick every morning! My Cuisinart takes up too much room for just one person.

Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit — January 24, 2012 at 7:28 pm

Aw wow, you’re one patient momma. I would have given up and driven to the nearest Starbucks within seconds of figuring out the machine was a goner. That WAS a cruel joke though, of all days! Glad you were able to find a nice machine, it’s so cute!

Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers — January 24, 2012 at 7:35 pm

Congrats on your coffee maker!! My latest appliance was my Keurig coffee maker. It broke on Saturday night and we got to Macy’s before they closed to exchange it. Other wise it was a Big Crockpot that I got for Christmas, that I still haven’t used. Maybe tomorrow I will?

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — January 24th, 2012 at 8:45 pm

Your Keurig that was what, a month old, already broke?! Okay that’s not good. Sorry you had to deal with that!

Gina @ Running to the Kitchen — January 24, 2012 at 8:01 pm

That’s the same one I have. The cheapest one Mr. Coffee makes :) Our water is so horrifically hard that even cleaning it with vinegar every few weeks, our coffee maker ends up dead within a year so cheap it is! And you know what…it totally tastes the same as any other one. I think expensive coffee makers are a complete rip off.

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — January 24th, 2012 at 8:44 pm

100% agree on your last sentence. As I said to another commenter, a Vitamix is worth it. But not a coffee pot. El cheapo is just fine!

Katie — January 24, 2012 at 8:10 pm

How did you make it to 2 pm without coffee?!?! I’d have died long before that.

That’s the same coffee maker I have, but mine’s white. I got it for $4 at a thrift storea bout 10 years ago. Still works like a champ. I’ve had other fancier ones in the intervening years, and they’ve all died. I think less complicated is best. Coffee shouldn’t be hard. That’s just a cruel twist of crap irony to make something to make coffee, before you’ve had coffee, hard to make.

I usually use my french press though. Boil water, pour over grounds, stir, wait 5 min, and then plunge. Doesn’t get any easier than that!

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — January 24th, 2012 at 8:43 pm

See I think the french press is messy b/c of the grounds. With a regular coffee pot, it’s all in a nice paper filter that I can toss in one fell swoop. And yes, I was totally in caff withdrawals!

Laura — January 24, 2012 at 8:33 pm

A day without coffee is not okay. Thanks for the link for the no bake PB thumbprints. YUM.

Mimi (Gingersnaps) — January 24, 2012 at 10:34 pm

Ah, coffee, my life’s blood. My coffee maker looks similar to your new one. I like VIA too, and that instant espresso stuff in the Italian flag bottle. Glad you’re back in the caffeine game!

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — January 25th, 2012 at 12:45 pm

I have a couple trial packets of the Via; I should have resorted to those. Everyone seems to love em but I have yet to try them!

Annie @ Naturally Sweet Recipes — January 24, 2012 at 10:58 pm

Nice! Love new appliances. Looks like you found a great one! And I LOVE BB&B’s coupons! I don’t buy anything unless I have one those suckers.
    Hope you’re enjoying your new toy! Have a great night!

Elisabeth — January 25, 2012 at 1:50 am

I love our coffee maker. It’s a Bunn and we’ve had it for…wow, maybe 5-6 years? I am usually pretty frugal/cheap so paying $100 for a coffee maker seemed really frivolous at the time, but it was so worth it. Like you I NEED my coffee. I still need to make those chocolate PB oat squares. I’ve had the recipe magneted (that’s not even a word) to my fridge for a week.

• Lisa replied: — January 25th, 2012 at 9:26 am

I love my Bunn too. It’s quick and hot.

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — January 25th, 2012 at 12:44 pm

Magneted is a word, for sure :)

$100 is not even a biggie…it’s the machines that are $199 or $249 plus tax for a basic machine that I’m like huh?! Glad your Bunn paid off.

Paula — January 25, 2012 at 3:22 am

I go for cheaper coffee makers because the more expensive ones don’t seem to last any longer. My last appliance purchase was my juicer. I have to make big batches and freeze them as regular “juicing” is waaaay too time consuming and I must admit some of the excitement/novelty has worn off a little on that one!

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — January 25th, 2012 at 12:43 pm

Oh my juicer is the appliance graveyard. $5 worth of produce, 10 mins to wash it, 10 mins to juice it, 10 mins to clean up. 30 mins for a glass of juice does not fit into my life these days :)

Rebecca @ Naturally Healthy and Gorgeous — January 25, 2012 at 5:17 am

I use a French press every morning and I think it makes the best coffee!

Natalie@fitjamericangirl — January 25, 2012 at 6:01 am

Mr. Coffee is the bomb.com. My fiance and I are so addicted to coffee that when we wake up in the morning we say (in a Borat accent) “It’s time to wake up Mr. Coffee”. Really for the price, it can’t be beat.

Alyssa (Down To Earth) — January 25, 2012 at 6:55 am

Mr. Coffee has never steered me wrong…we even bring it camping in the fall when we get a cabin. Haha. They’re tough little buggers.
    On an unrelated note, I made a version of your avocado puff pastries (I used hickory-smoked vegan cheese in mine with black beans, avocado, and salsa) and they turned out wonderfully. Thanks for the inspiration!

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — January 25th, 2012 at 12:41 pm

Oh it sounds great! Can’t remember if you’re vegan or not, but if you know of a pre-make vegan puff pastry or similar that you enjoy that I can recommend for readers, LMK.

Kelly @ Vegolosophy — January 25, 2012 at 6:59 am

I have just a basic, no bells and whistles coffee maker and I think it works pretty good :)

Alison @ Ingredients, Inc. — January 25, 2012 at 7:07 am

love these posts! I hope your week is going well!

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — January 25th, 2012 at 12:41 pm

You too, sweetie! Hope you’re settling back in after the conference and traveling.

Michele Sparrow — January 25, 2012 at 7:08 am

I am still reeling from the fact that you made it halfway through the day without a cup of coffee! Wow! I used to have a coffee maker, but now I brew it by the cup each morning. I boil water in my teakettle and grind my Organic Papua New Guinea roast and put a few spoonfuls in a melita filter over my giant mug and voila! I also steam a bit of organic, unsweetened soymilk to put in it. I have been doing it this way for years and the flavor is just unsurpassed this way, in my opinion.

The last appliance I bought was actually my Vitamix, which I have had for several years now. I use my KitchenAid, Vitamix and food processor on a regular basis.

Your peanut butter and jelly thumbprint cookies are adorable. I just bought all the ingredients…making them today. My boys are gonna love them! :-)

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — January 25th, 2012 at 12:40 pm

Enjoy the PB & J thumbprints… I can’t believe you actually had to go buy the ingredients but thank you in advance for making them! Other than the jelly, I don’t think there was anything too unique in them ..I know your boys will love them.

Your method sounds perfect, actually. Melita filter. Need to try that. A paper Melita or a wire/mesh one? I love the idea of this. It’s easier cleanup than a french press and probably delish coffee!

• Michele Sparrow replied: — January 25th, 2012 at 2:07 pm

I had just run out of jelly (this morning!) and needed a new package of powdered sugar. Super excited for the boys to try these!

As for the Melita filter, I use a paper filter inside of a plastic Melita filter and set that on my cup. It is super easy cleanup and has awesome flavor!

Tracy — January 25, 2012 at 7:09 am

I love coffee but I try not to drink it too often. Please don’t think any less of me when I say this…. I actually prefer instant (but it has to be folgers)! I find that most the time the people in my office don’t know how to brew coffee correctly and it turns out very bitter and burt tasting. The instant allows me to make the perfect cup whenever I want it; any strength, any size with NO clean up. We have actually gone through several fancier coffee makers at my office (probably 3 coffee makers in 3 years?) and recently purchased a no thrills glass coffee pot similar to the one that you purchased. So far it has been great!

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — January 25th, 2012 at 12:37 pm

Whatever works, tastes the best, and is easy…that’s all that matters. And you’re right, employee break room coffee or office coffee tends to be not really…so good.

Celeste — January 25, 2012 at 8:07 am

My husband is a huge coffee maker collector. We have four different presses, some weird looking shot thing, a reg coffee pot and a Keurig. Fav tasting coffee comes from the stainless steel press but for pure ease i looooove the Keurig. Nothing beats pushing a button and 10 seconds later having coffee when you are half asleep. I don’t find the more expensive or techie a coffee maker is, the better the coffee. In fact – too many buttons and I just get confused!

raleighweds.blogspot.com

Nicole — January 25, 2012 at 8:40 am

I had a panic a few weeks back when my 2-day old coffee maker stopped working. Thankfully Target took it back and I ended up buying a Mr. Coffee – a little 5 cup programmable with a stainless carafe. It’s perfect. Unfortunately I just need a small coffee maker and I went through a couple of Cuisinart (thankfully BBB has a good return policy) coffeemakers that would last less than 6 months!

Crystal @ Tea Leaves and Vanilla — January 25, 2012 at 9:50 am

I have a pretty basic Toastmaster that I got for $18 in a clearance. I like it because I can program it the night before to brew coffee before I even get out of bed, and during the morning rush I don’t have to worry about turning it off (auto shut off). I’m a college student, so it has saved me many mornings, including today! I also have a french press for weekends or evenings. :)

Amber K — January 25, 2012 at 11:21 am

Since I don’t drink coffee I’ve never been shopping for a coffee maker. But I like the low tech version of things. I don’t want anything too complicated when I’m hungry or thirsty. I can’t even remember the last appliance I bought. It’s been a long time!

Haylee — January 25, 2012 at 11:37 am

K those chocolate PB oat squares look AMAZING. I’m definitely making those this week sometime.
    I don’t have my own coffee pot and actually, I’ve never even had coffee believe it or not. It’s against my religion but I REALLY want to try it. I think it smells divine.

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — January 25, 2012 at 3:27 pm

We have a Cuisinart coffee pot that we got as a wedding gift and I love it! If it ever breaks I will buy the same one again. The last appliance that I got was a food processor.

Christine (The Raw Project) — January 25, 2012 at 3:28 pm

Coffee pots always die at the worst time, ours died on Christmas Eve morning last year, luckily we made it to Lowes for a new one. I have a basic Cusinart with a stainless steal pot that works well, I like that it keeps coffee hot without having to keep the heating element on. Sweet deal on you new one and it looks great.

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — January 25th, 2012 at 3:37 pm

Isn’t the truth about them dying at the wrong time. The one before this died when I was a new mother, was not sleeping at all, and desperately needed coffee. I remember driving to BB & B like a complete zombie after a sleepless newborn night!

Aggie — January 25, 2012 at 7:48 pm

Mine died one morning too! It was awful!

I like my carafe less coffee maker…a lot :)

Brent — January 27, 2012 at 11:03 am

Much respect you made it to 2pm without the first cup of Joe…I would have been in the headlines for java rage long before then LOL

When our coffee maker died (Cuisinart, saw the model in your pics above acrtually :-) ) we got a Tassimo. The only pods we would get were the Starbucks Verona blend, but Tassimo stopped offering seemingly all Starbucks blends last Summer (that might not have been the case in the US but here in Canada they did). None of the other Tassimo blends appealed to me so we abandoned the Tassimo and went for a Keurig.

Been LOVING the Keurig…not only do they have every brand / blend one can imagine, they also have a holder that you can use your own preferred ground coffee and brew it right from the Kuerig. That sure came in handy when Starbucks had their Christmas Blend out this past season lol

Coffee lovers unite!

Ashlae — January 30, 2012 at 6:16 pm

I’m in need of a new coffee maker, as well. Except I kind of want one of the one’s that grinds your beans while simultaneously giving you a foot massage. Sounds like the BEST COFFEE EVER. But in all honesty, I love the idea of not having to grind my beans, then make coffee. But I’m sure those makers are expensive, yeah?

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — January 30th, 2012 at 7:16 pm

I grind all my beans at TJ’s or buy pre-ground beans. Some say they prefer to grind daily, and I get that, but for me, just not worth it (I don’t care that much and can’t taste a difference) so no need for those pricier coffee maker/grinders for me.

Anna — February 4, 2012 at 9:43 am

Just curious but do you get a kickback or any blogging incentives from Bed Bath & Beyond? It seems like you take a lot of pictures of the store’s products.