Oranges

Oranges were on sale at the grocery store today and I picked up a big bag of them and got my orange groove going in the kitchen.

Among other things, I made a batch of Cranberry & Orange Ginger Mango Chutney which had the added bonus of making my house smell phenomenal.

I had picked up an extra bag of cranberries before Thanksgiving, but never made anything with them before we left for Aruba on December 2.

They’ve been parked in the freezer and taking up valuable space so I used them along with some of the new oranges in a fresh batch of cranberry sauce which is almost no work.  Toss things in a saucepan with sugar and let them simmer for a half hour.  I can handle that.

Skylar adores cranberry chutney and it’s packed with vitamin C.

Being that my little princess is going to be around even more snotty-nosed sick rugrats other children in her new school, I figure the extra does of Vit C can’t hurt.

I also baked something with the oranges.  Which involved a cream cheese glaze.  There’s always a way to fatten up even fruit.  Just add butter, cream cheese, and sugar.  Smart thinking, right?

And I made something to drink with the oranges.

One of my best drinkey-drink recipes in awhile.

Kind of like Peaches & Coconut Cream Smoothie but different enough.  Recipe coming soon on the new orange drink.

I’ve definitely gotten my Vitamin C in today.

I haven’t had enough chocolate or peanut butter.

I’m about to change that with a Nutter Butter Special K Bar (No Bake)

Do you like oranges?  Do you make things with them or just eat them plain?

I have mango recipes, lemon recipes, apple recipes, and banana recipes in case you need fruit-based recipe ideas.  All recipes include pictures with links in those posts.

How do you peel your oranges?  Knife, peeler, keeping them in sections, wedges, other?

I used to peel them carefully with a peeler, keeping the sections in tact, but that’s much slower than just chopping them down the middle with a knife and quickly removing the peel with my knife.

Sometimes I’ll make orange wedges and keep the peel the “butt” of the wedge on but I find the family is more likely to eat them if they’re totally peeled and ready to pop in the mouth, sans peel.

That’s the one downfall of oranges compared to apples, bananas, or grapes for lunches is that the peeling situation is not as desirable for husbands or little kids who can’t manage to get that orange peel off.  That’s when I hear, “Mom, can you help me with this…”

Have a great weekend!

55 Responses to “Oranges”

Estela @ Weekly Bite — January 6, 2012 at 4:19 pm

I love how sweet the oranges are now! And I need to make those special k bars!!

Rebecca @ Naturally Healthy and Gorgeous — January 6, 2012 at 4:21 pm

I love making cranberry chutney whenever I can get cranberries!

bakerbynature — January 6, 2012 at 4:22 pm

Oranges are my favorite fruit during these dull winter days: so bright and juicy!

Beautiful pics, too! Happy New Year ;)

Stephanie @ Ultra Ambitious — January 6, 2012 at 4:56 pm

I adore oranges! Although I usually just juice them in the morning. I’ve found that now that I drink fresh squeezed, the carton just does not compare! As usual, stunning photos Averie :)

Sarah @ The Healthy Diva — January 6, 2012 at 5:39 pm

I loooooove oranges. So refreshing especially in the summer. My favourite recipe is a super simple orange almond cake (gluten, dairy and egg free!). I love it because it uses the WHOLE orange steamed (yay for no waste) then blended up with a few other ingredients. Tastes sensational!

Heather (Where's the Beach) — January 6, 2012 at 5:42 pm

I’m so weird about oranges. I love them and always remember even more how much I love them after a really hot run when served at a race. However, I never buy them. I think it’s the peeling thing. But, love love love Blue Moon served with sliced oranges LOL

Ela — January 6, 2012 at 5:43 pm

I want that recipe in the comment above!
    I love oranges, and usually peel just by hand, but sometimes cut in quarter wedges. I also think they’re awesome in smoothies: for how juicy they are, they add thickness and texture more than you might expect…

Angela / Canned Time — January 6, 2012 at 5:47 pm

Looks sooooo good and isn’t it nice when something taste good and is good for you! I made a similar version last year with Pumpkin Seeds. http://cannedtime.blogspot.com/2010/12/cranberry-chutney-wpumpkin-seeds.html I never liked Chutney before this Cranberry. I’ll bet your’s is even better when you follow it with one of the Nutter Butter Bars! Yum!!!!

Ellen — January 6, 2012 at 5:58 pm

I don’t normally think to eat orange things-then when I do I’m always happy. My last two orange encounters where mimosas on Christmas morning and orange-cranberry sauce later that day. Both quite good. I’m looking forward to your orange drinks-drink!

jackie @ marin mama cooks — January 6, 2012 at 6:05 pm

Hey girl! I love the all the color in this post. I am not a fan of traditional oranges (the Florida ones) to hard to peel and I can’t deal with seeds. I like the little mandarin oranges and tangerines. They taste much sweeter and you can peel them so easily. I eat them occasionally but tend to throw them in a green smoothie most of the time.

Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers — January 6, 2012 at 7:09 pm

Hi Averie,

What do you use your cranberry orange gingrer chutney on? I haven’t made it yet, but I have a jar from TJ’s and I am not sure what to do with it!

Love oranges, hate the seeds, but it doesn’t stop me from eating them! I used them in baking mostly like quick breads, cookies and glazes! I love cranberry and orange together!

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — January 6th, 2012 at 7:16 pm

anything! bread, crackers, or just eat it plain. It’s just a thicker cranberry sauce. Enjoy!

Kelly @ Foodie Fiasco — January 6, 2012 at 7:12 pm

I like oranges, but I like crean cheese glaze. Hmm, I have a feeling I’m going to like this one. ;)

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — January 6th, 2012 at 7:15 pm

and I meant to tell you yesterday, hope you’re okay from the running spill you mentioned you took!

• Kelly @ Foodie Fiasco replied: — January 6th, 2012 at 11:09 pm

Thanks! A few scrapes on my hands, but I think I’ll survive. ;)

Nicole — January 6, 2012 at 7:38 pm

Love oranges and grapefruit…but if I take to work un-peeled, I usually can’t find time in the day when my hands can be full of juice and peel for 5 minutes.
    I have a very old-school Tupperware plastic citrus peeler that I covet.

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — January 6th, 2012 at 8:00 pm

that’s the exact problem…trying to do it at your desk is messy and time consuming and as much as I love oranges, when you peel them like that for the rest of the day your hands are kinda orange and smell like them too. Lol

Katie — January 6, 2012 at 8:10 pm

I just was eyeing a recipe for carrot orange marmalade. Kind of like the chutney, but with carrots instead of cranberries. Eh??

Sarah @ blueeyedbarbie.blogspot.com — January 6, 2012 at 9:08 pm

ive never been an orange fan. I love cranberries though!

J3nn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) — January 7, 2012 at 12:45 am

I love oranges but seldom eat them to avoid the peel. I like the wedges in tact, so I have to meticulously remove it by hand. I have a box of clementine Cuties to eat up, they’re pretty easy to peel. I want to try making cranberry sauce one day, I am partial to the jelly stuff though. :)

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — January 7th, 2012 at 3:26 am

Cuties are a lot easier to peel than regular oranges but I agree, still a bit of a PITA.

And the cranberry sauce…so easy. Throw the cranberries in a pot with water and sugar and wait. In a half hour, it’s done. :)

Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit — January 7, 2012 at 6:08 am

Your chutney is SO good. SO good. I’ve made it a couple of times and just can’t get enough of it! I usually pair it with roasted chicken. Omg and I’ve put it on a chicken pizza, too. Delicious!

Brooke — January 7, 2012 at 6:40 am

I love oranges. They are SUPER cheap here and they are such a refreshing and super sweet snack.

Brooke

Doris @ vanillacocoberry — January 7, 2012 at 6:40 am

May I hire you as my personal chef, please???? Looks yummy as always, what can I say
    xo!

Gina — January 7, 2012 at 6:43 am

My son is almost a year old and oranges are one of his most favorite things! Ogaden been planning on holding off until after a year because I had read the acid in citrus is a bit much, but he grabbed one out of my hand one day and started throwing fits whenever he saw one! We always have oranges in the house now.

marla — January 7, 2012 at 6:52 am

LOVE citrus & cranberries together. My cranberry sauce usually has a bunch of citrus in it as well :) Have a great weekend miss Averie :) XO

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — January 7th, 2012 at 11:11 am

I love to bulk up the cranberry sauce with other goodies and I’m sure you’re the same. Enjoy your weekend, too! :)

Bev Weidner — January 7, 2012 at 7:32 am

Oooo, oo, oo. Will you feed me?

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — January 7, 2012 at 7:40 am

I don’t think I have ever made anything with oranges other than juice, or eating them plain. I peel them with my hands all the time.

Maris (In Good Taste) — January 7, 2012 at 7:59 am

Leave it to you to make oranges look so beautiful! I love your creativity

Deborah — January 7, 2012 at 8:15 am

I have a fridge full of oranges right now – can’t wait to see what you baked up!

Colleen — January 7, 2012 at 8:18 am

I just love peeling oranges and eating them with my hands :) That cranberry-orange chutney is a fantastic idea!

Sheri — January 7, 2012 at 8:32 am

Cranberry orange chutney goes with just about any white meat in my house, as a condiment. Its awesome!

McKella — January 7, 2012 at 8:51 am

I don’t know if I’ve ever actually made anything with oranges other than fruit salad, but I don’t think that counts. I usually eat them plain and peeled, or sliced if they aren’t really peel-able. To peel them, I either bite them or dig in with my thumbnail and just peel from there.

Julie @ Table for Two — January 7, 2012 at 9:49 am

mmm I love oranges & cranberries :) I don’t know how to peel oranges with a knife — i’m too scared to slice my fingers off! Haha, I usually just cut them in wedges and then peel off the peel or i start a little hole at the top and peel from there!

Amber K — January 7, 2012 at 12:05 pm

I like orange juice, but I hate oranges! Orange-flavored things were always my favorite too. But I can’t stand the texture of oranges. I hate the pith and just the plain weird texture. A smoothie is the best because you can get the awesome flavor without any of the weird texture.

Victoria — January 7, 2012 at 2:12 pm

Made your wonderful chutney recipe and it was fantastic! Also, followed your recommendation to use it in those amazing “brie sticks” (can’t remember whose blog it was on). Absolutely amazing. I love hearing about your finds at TJ’s. The closest one to me is 2 hours away, so I don’t really get there, but, love hearing about what you find! Thanks for sharing so much of your life with us.

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — January 7th, 2012 at 2:15 pm

Oh thank you soooo much for this comment! The fact that you made the cran chutney AND that you made the brie bites in puffed pasty (Joy the Baker’s site). I have had so many other baking projects since getting home from Aruba not even two weeks ago (but feels like a lifetime ago!) that I haven’t even made those yet. But I’m going to!

Thanks so much for reading and for this note. Made my day :)

Lolita @ High On Health — January 7, 2012 at 3:03 pm

That chutney looks fantastic! I love oranges, such a refreshing fruit. I’m like you, just cut them down the middle and peel with a knife. I tend to just eat my oranges in segments or in a fruit salad… i love the simple combination of orange, apple, banana and grapes or berries. It always hits the spot!
    I really should get a bit more creative with oranges in my food creations… the drink looks delish! Thanks for the inspiration.

Angela@veggievinyasa — January 7, 2012 at 4:40 pm

I love oranges and eat one every day in winter. The lazy way: cut in half, then make three slices from each half. Cut those in half. Eat orange stuff out of the peel. The juicier the better!

Leng — January 7, 2012 at 4:47 pm

Hi I just found your blog through CNC, I have to say it’s awesome! So many pretty pictures, yummy looking desserts. I love your cranberry and chutney idea. Definitely will be checking out your recipes page.

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — January 7th, 2012 at 5:52 pm

Thanks for the kind words and glad you found me. I hope you stick around and say hi :)

Bianca @ Confessions of a Chocoholic — January 7, 2012 at 4:55 pm

I love oranges. This week I’ve been eating a lot of clementines. I usually eat oranges plain, but I also love orange juice. I don’t bake with oranges often enough, but I should! I’ll make it one of my to-do’s soon :)

Nadiya — January 8, 2012 at 5:11 am

Hmm! Oranges! I wish I was in California right now :P

Christine (The Raw Project) — January 8, 2012 at 9:02 am

Love oranges and my kitchen is overflowing with them thanks to our little tree going nuts and getting a bag in our farm box, so thanks for the recipe inspiration! :-) I’ve been eating 4-5 at a time straight up as a snack or dessert lately, or using them in salad dressing and stir fry sauces. I’ll also peel them, split in half, and freeze for smoothies.

Stacy @ Say It With Sprinkles — January 8, 2012 at 9:50 am

Generally, I just eat oranges in wedges. But, I also bought an extra bag of cranberries at Christmas time, so it’s actually perfect that you posted this cranberry & orange chutney! You can’t go wrong with Vitamin C during chillier winter months!

Bree — January 9, 2012 at 8:03 am

That chutney looks amazing. Thanks for sharing!

Tracy — January 9, 2012 at 8:53 am

Love oranges! When I have time I like to peel them and seperate the wedges, in a rush I just chop it up. For lunches I find that clemintines are much easier to peel than oranges, so that is the route I take!

Sunny — January 9, 2012 at 9:36 am

I loved this post – citrus fruit is just such a necessity this time of year. Oranges and grapefruits are my go-to. I got a box of Harry&David oranges and grapefruits for Christmas from friends – great gift idea, no? When I’m on my usual citrus kick in the winter, I bake chocolate chip cookies, but grate 1 TBS of orange zest into the batter and use dark chocolate chips instead of semi-sweet. Its deliciousss and just enough of a twist on a classic you know we all love ;) Speaking of chocolate chip cookies, LOVED the snickers stuffed cookies recipe, Averie! Baked them last night and they were almost too sinfully delicious… almost!

-Sunny