Ritz Stuffed Peanut Butter Cups

I’ve always loved Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups.

Cracking open those orange wrappers and then peeling back the black waxy paper from the perfectly formed Reese’s edges is one of life’s simple, but very joyous, pleasures.

Sinking my teeth into the peanut butter cup and making teeth marks into that perfectly smooth chocolate is also high on my list.

Lately I’ve been sinking my teeth into these homemade cups rather than storebought Reese’s Cups.

These aren’t just any homemade peanut butter cups.

There’s a surprise in the center:  Ritz Crackers

I combined some of my favorite ingredients and the resulting creation is very puffy.

One of my homemade cups is about twice the height of a storebought cup or about the same height as five Ritz crackers.  That just means there’s more to love.

You don’t have to make yours as puffy as mine if you don’t put as much peanut butter on the cracker before you drench it with melted chocolate.

A Ritz cracker smeared with peanut butter and then encased in a chocolate shell using the Trader Joe’s Chocolate score I’ve been loving.

Delicious does not have to be complicated and the proof is in the pudding in the peanut butter.

The saltiness from the crackers and peanut butter is balanced with the semi-sweet chocolate.

The crunchy cracker stopped with smooth peanut butter makes for lots of texture and fabulous chomping.

[print_this]

Ritz Cracker Stuffed Peanut Butter Cups (vegan, almost gluten free)

Makes 4 Peanut Butter Cups (halve, double, triple, or quadruple the recipe as desired)

8 ounces (1 cup) semisweet chocolate or chocolate chips, melted (for more info on melting, see this post)

4 Ritz Crackers (or similar)

6 teaspoons peanut butter (1 ½ teaspoons per cup), approximately

Place four paper muffin liners inside a muffin tin or on a flat work surface.  Alternately, if you have silicone liners, you can use those.  Melt the chocolate in a microwave-safe bowl and spoon approximately one tablespoon of melted chocolate into the bottom of each muffin liner.  Place them into the freezer for a few minutes so the chocolate sets up.  While the chocolate is setting, schmear each of the four crackers with peanut butter, approximately 1 ½ teaspoons of peanut butter for each cracker, or to taste.  Take care not to make the peanut butter too dome-like; rather spread it in a manner similar to the white cream center of a double-stuffed Oreo cookie.  Remove the chocolate-filled muffin liners from the freezer and carefully place one peanut butter-covered cracker in each cup.  Cover the top of each cup with the remaining chocolate, reheating the chocolate in the microwave a bit if necessary.  Based on the height of the peanut butter layer on the Ritz crackers, your paper liners may be filled nearly to the top with chocolate in order to fully encase all the peanut butter with chocolate and this is okay.  Freeze or refrigerate the cups until the chocolate has set up before unwrapping and eating.

To keep gluten free, use a gluten free cracker such as Mary’s or similar.  Ritz Crackers are already accidentally vegan.

[/print_this]

Making peanut butter cups (vegan, GF) at home is something I discovered years ago.

Tuxedo Cups

The possibilities to jazz up and get creative with cups are endless, which is where the Ritz crackers came into play.

Ritz Crackers and I go way back.  My grandma used to keep Ritz crackers on hand in her cupboard and I used to be able to take down a half tube of those golden crackers in about five minutes right before dinner.

But that’s what Grandma’s are for: to do things that your mom wouldn’t let you get away with, like devouring a sleeve of Ritz crackers right before dinner.

Good thing I purposefully designed the recipe to only make four cups and you even can halve it if you prefer.

These have been a little dangerous to have on hand and will make you forget all about those resolutions.  New Year’s what?

If you’re a fan of sweet ‘n salty combination desserts, I also recommend White Chocolate Peanut, Pretzel, & Chocolate Chip Fudge

If you like surprise middles with your sweet ‘n salty, try Pretzel Peanut Caramel Peanut Butter Cookie Dough Truffles

For sweet surprises, the Dark Chocolate Chocolate-Chip Cookies Stuffed with Chocolate Covered Strawberries are fun.

And last but not least, the surprise Snickers bars in Snickers Bar Stuffed Chocolate Chip Cookies get me every time.

Questions

Do you like peanut butter cups?  Have you ever made them at home?

Have you made any stuffed desserts?

I love stuffed desserts because it’s like you get two desserts in one.

I hope you’ve had a great weekend and that your week gets off to a fabulous start!

145 Responses to “Ritz Stuffed Peanut Butter Cups”

1. Lisa — January 8, 2012 at 1:38 pm (#

I’ve made pb cups with your recipe before…and they’re awesome! I love the idea of adding the crunchy crispy cracker in the middle…

2. StoriesAndSweetPotatoes — January 8, 2012 at 1:48 pm (#

Oh good idea! I’ve made your regular PB cups before, I suppose you could put anything in there huh? I definitely prefer stuffed or layered treats. I need lots of different flavors happening :)

3. J3nn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) — January 8, 2012 at 1:48 pm (#

Sweet and salty, oh yes, come to mama! I could eat a dozen of them right now. Yummmmm

4. Amber Shea @Almost Vegan — January 8, 2012 at 1:58 pm (#

What a cool idea! Bet it’s got some good sweet ‘n salty action going on, flavor-wise. I haven’t had Ritz crackers in way too long! I used to eat a whole sleeve at a time =X

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga — January 8, 2012 at 2:09 pm (#

Salty n sweet, crunchy n smooth, it’s all there. Loved our email chat. Have a great weekend :) What’s left of it!

5. Ashley @ My Food 'N' Fitness Diaries — January 8, 2012 at 1:59 pm (#

i am in LOVE with peanut butter cups! i rarely ever buy Reese’s PB Cups because they instantly seem to disappear… into my belly! i asked “Santa” for some Reese’s Trees in my stocking this year – they were gone in no time. and sweet ‘n salty combos??? ohhh yes, another huge love of mine. needless to say, this post is right up my alley. ;)

6. Cassie — January 8, 2012 at 2:01 pm (#

I saw this chocolate today and remembered you posting about it. I passed it up and now I wish I would have grabbed some. These look amazing!

7. Heather (Where's the Beach) — January 8, 2012 at 2:03 pm (#

Oh what an awesome flavor combo there! Ritz crackers always remind me of my great-grandmother. She always had them on hand as well. She liked to mush hers up in a glass of buttermilk though. Me…just plain or with PB.

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga — January 8, 2012 at 2:08 pm (#

“mush hers up in a glass of buttermilk” — my grandma used to do that with graham crackers and coffee. Lol

8. Kris — January 8, 2012 at 2:08 pm (#

I love pb cups, and make them at home a lot… I love to fill them with fun things too.

these look great!

9. Mattie (Comfy and Confident) — January 8, 2012 at 2:11 pm (#

Salty and sweet equals heaven in my mouth. I love the addition of the Ritz cracker for an added crunch. Yum! :)

10. Kathryn — January 8, 2012 at 2:13 pm (#

What a great combination of flavours – love the idea of that crunchy layer hiding away in the middle!

11. Angela / Canned Time — January 8, 2012 at 2:17 pm (#

These look cute and tasty! I saw a recipe last week for Chocolate covered Saltene Crackers that sounded great. I love the big bar of TJ’s chocolate too, especially the price. Have to try the white chocolate version of these, love Ritz anyway.

12. Victoria @ The Pursuit of Hippieness — January 8, 2012 at 2:23 pm (#

Oh. My. Goodness. It’s clear we have identical taste in desserts. Salty, Sweet, Crunchy, Nutty, and obviously, CHOCOLATE.

13. Erica — January 8, 2012 at 2:45 pm (#

I do like peanut butter cups! Josh REALLY likes them! The ritz is such a fun add in. I just realized your posts aren’t showing up in my reader (lame)- going to fix that now!

14. Paige @ Running Around Normal — January 8, 2012 at 2:46 pm (#

I loved your regular vegan PB cups when I made them a couple years ago…I can only imagine what a salty Ritz does to the flavor!

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga — January 8, 2012 at 3:02 pm (#

I actually vaguely remember that. Hard to believe we’ve known each other for years (plural!) and we’re both still blogging away at it :)

15. Liz (Little Bitty Bakes) — January 8, 2012 at 3:27 pm (#

We must be on the same wavelength because I bought everything to make homemade PB cups today! And then I took a nap and forgot about making them… :) Next weekend!

What kind of peanut butter did you use in those? It looks so, so creamy! And I love the Ritz addition.

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga — January 8, 2012 at 9:42 pm (#

Generic store-brand PB. I go thru SO MUCH Pb that I buy what’s on sale and in huge tubs. For baking and cooking with, I use cheap stuff. Unless I am eating it with a spoon, I really don’t care if it’s not ‘high end’ designer Pb. :)

• Liz (Little Bitty Bakes) — January 9, 2012 at 3:18 am (#

Agree completely – no nee for the fancy stuff when it comes to baking! It just looked so creamy, I had to ask… this makes me feel good :)

16. Judy — January 8, 2012 at 3:32 pm (#

Hey Averie those look yummy!! My husband took a glance at my laptop and went “ooh” I guess that’s when you know you have a winner right?

I wanted to share my iherb.com $5 off code, since I first used yours and have gotten hooked ordering stuff from there! Every little bit helps nowadays right? My code is PIT248.

17. Alyssa (Down To Earth) — January 8, 2012 at 3:49 pm (#

This looks so delicious…I do love Reese’s peanut butter cups and I always have to stop myself from eating them in the double digits, but I think the crunch from the cracker is the perfect brain trigger to tell me 1 or 2 is good for the day…save some for tomorrow :)

18. jackie @ marin mama cooks — January 8, 2012 at 4:00 pm (#

These look AMAZING! There I am giving you caps because you deserve it. The crunchiness of the ritz cracker inside one of my favorite treats, you hit a winner here.

19. heather — January 8, 2012 at 4:28 pm (#

I bet this is pass-out-fall-the-floor amazing. WANT!!

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga — January 8, 2012 at 9:40 pm (#

No pass out and fall on the floor amazing would be your latest tiffany blue cake that seriously I have been dreaming about. Beautiful beyond all words!

20. vanillasugarblog — January 8, 2012 at 5:04 pm (#

the possibilities are endless for stuffing pb cups. that’s why they’re called cups. lol

21. Lori @ RecipeGirl — January 8, 2012 at 5:06 pm (#

Holy YUM! I love variations on Reeses PB Cups. Nice job :)

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga — January 8, 2012 at 9:39 pm (#

Thanks, Lori. I am still drooling over your recent cake. It’s..perfect. Surgeon’s hands type of precision!

22. Ellen — January 8, 2012 at 5:56 pm (#

I have a straight-up addiction. I eat a small Reese’s or two pretty much every day…either that or a piece of dark chocolate or a Yorks. A girl has gotta have dessert…

23. Kelly @ Vegolosophy — January 8, 2012 at 6:23 pm (#

Man oh Man! I will definitely be making this version of your peanut-butter cups when I get home from Maui! We ALWAYS make your regular peanut-butter cup recipe (delicious), so I can only imagine how yummy these will be. Thanks for the great recipes for us sweet tooth folks :)

24. Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar — January 8, 2012 at 6:29 pm (#

Aww yeah, brilliant! Love this idea!

25. Mariel — January 8, 2012 at 7:08 pm (#

ahhhhhh this is such a perfect combo

26. Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers — January 8, 2012 at 7:28 pm (#

Ok , how do you do it? How do you stay in awesome shape eating these kind of treats? I’d have to work out for 4 hours a day! I am envious of you!

I love peanut butter cups and I have yet to make them, but I plan on it! Now I want to do it with a ritz, which we just ran out of Trader Joe’s version). Could I use a pretzel?

Have a great week!

27. Gina @ Running to the Kitchen — January 8, 2012 at 7:51 pm (#

This made me realize how long it’s been since I’ve eaten a Ritz…TOO LONG! Love this salty/chocolate combo :)

28. Kerry @ Totes My Oats — January 8, 2012 at 7:56 pm (#

Peanut butter cups are my FAVORITE! I have never made them at home but I would love to. The Ritz crackers are such a great idea – a great combo of sweet and salty!

29. Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — January 8, 2012 at 8:02 pm (#

I love PB cups, but have never made them at home. I have made a few stuffed desserts, such as stuffed cookies, and peppermint patties.

30. AikoVenus — January 8, 2012 at 8:45 pm (#

This is seriously my fantasy dessert! I absolutely love eating crackers..and adding chocolate and peanut butter just makes it so much more wonderful!

31. Katie — January 8, 2012 at 8:56 pm (#

I used to eat ritz with pb sandwiches every day when I was working in the field. I called them “power snacks”. I would make about 6 sandwiches every day. I got the idea from my aunt who used to make them, covered in chocolate like this, for Christmas. I’ve seen them with saltines and wheat thins too. The wheat thins version tastes kind of buterfinger-y.

I’m excited to be home now – and back to my own kitchen!

32. Amanda @ Once Upon a Recipe — January 8, 2012 at 9:35 pm (#

I’m drooling. Can I come over?!

33. Bluebirds and Butterflies — January 8, 2012 at 11:55 pm (#

Hi,
    I saw your posting on Joy the Baker. I love veggies and I love my yoga classes…..so your blog name inspired me. I am trying to stay away from sweets after the holidays but my college son LOVES Reese Cups so I am definitely going to be trying this recipe! I love your variations, too. Looking forward to exploring your site. Have a wonderful day! Kim

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga — January 9, 2012 at 2:22 am (#

Thanks for popping over and saying hi! And for the nice compliments and I hope you enjoy your yoga. And veggies. I’ll be enjoying some more chocolate and PB :) lol

34. Sarah @ The Healthy Diva — January 9, 2012 at 1:49 am (#

Wow never thought of doing the whole sweet and salty thing. i do love a good cracker though! Texture in food is such a thing for me. I will take the crunch of roast veggies over mashed potato any day!

35. Heather @ Health, Happiness, and Hope — January 9, 2012 at 3:53 am (#

I used to LOVE Reese’s peanut butter cups, but I haven’t had one is so long! I actually have made my own before and they usually turn out really good! I absolutely love the idea of Ritz crackers in them to add a little crunch!

36. Aimee @ ShugarySweets — January 9, 2012 at 4:23 am (#

Holy chocolate peanut butter cups. Have I died and gone to heaven? Those look amazing!!

37. Katrina @ In Katrina's Kitchen — January 9, 2012 at 4:44 am (#

This is worth the treadmill!!

38. thelittleloaf — January 9, 2012 at 5:09 am (#

YUM! Salty-sweet flavour combos are absolute bliss. I made some peanut butter cups with ice cream but not made these for ages – it’s time to go back to the old school! I love the crunch cracker addition too – what NY diet?! :-)

39. Alison @ Ingredients, Inc. — January 9, 2012 at 5:11 am (#

Those look insanely good!! Just put on pinterest

40. Madeline - Greens and Jeans — January 9, 2012 at 5:13 am (#

Holy smokes girl! What a great idea! Salty plus crunch plus sweet has to be the stuff dreams are made of.

41. Sally @ Spontaneous Hausfrau — January 9, 2012 at 5:21 am (#

THIS is genius. I think I just fell in love. With the cups or with you. Kinda hard to tell cuz there is a lot of joy coming out of my pores right now. GENIUS!!!!!

42. Rachel @ Not Rachael Ray — January 9, 2012 at 5:41 am (#

What a great addition, I bet these are awesome!

43. Julie @ Table for Two — January 9, 2012 at 5:51 am (#

ahhhhhh omg. so good. i love that you combined ritz crackers into this to give it the sweet & salty flavor. as you saw on my instagram yesterday, I LOVE RITZ!! haha

44. Rebecca @ Naturally Healthy and Gorgeous — January 9, 2012 at 6:02 am (#

How creative! Looks amazing!

45. Beth Michelle — January 9, 2012 at 6:04 am (#

Those peanut butter cups are heavenly! And, I love all those recipes that follow it, especially the chocolate cookies with the chocolate covered strawberries in it. YUM!

46. Stephanie @ Ultra Ambitious — January 9, 2012 at 6:14 am (#

Oh my goodness! Chocolate & PB is my favorite combo…but chocolate & pb with a salty crunchy cracker in the middle, amazingg!

47. Andrea — January 9, 2012 at 6:38 am (#

Guess what! Ritz crackers are accidentally vegan!

48. em @ simplypresent — January 9, 2012 at 6:42 am (#

Those. Look. Heavenly!

49. Beth @ Tasty Yummies — January 9, 2012 at 7:46 am (#

Yum, what an amazing idea. You always have the most creative dessert creations!

50. Kaitlyn@TheTieDyeFiles — January 9, 2012 at 10:18 am (#

The boyfriend would just love these!! Maybe I’ll stuff his with those peanut butter sandwich crackers. He buys them by the case!