Scraped

I picked up one of these KitchenAid Flex Edge Beaters from Bed Bath & Beyond.

They retail for 39.99 which isn’t cheap (who knew that’s the going rate for a beater) but I used an expired 20% off coupon so that helped.

Hoard those BB & B coupons like gold and redeem them despite the printed expiration dateMost stores will allow you to cash them in but it is up to the store’s discretion.  At probably over 20 BB & B stores in about 10 states, I’ve never been denied.  I have been told by a few readers their store is a stickler for rules and won’t redeem expired ones, but that neighboring stores allow it.

I strapped the new beater onto the new stand mixer

And got busy beating.

Verdict?

Loved it.

Granted I’ve only had my KitchenAid for two weeks and had limited experience with the factory-standard paddle beater but the flexible edge beater scraped the bowl very nicely while I was testing out a new cookie recipe.

Try a bite of this on for size.

I can’t even begin to tell you quite how good the cookies were (similar to these in a way), but that’s another post.  I have 200 cookie pictures one or two cookie pictures to edit before the post will be ready.  That’s why Lightroom and I are BFFs and you can download free Lightroom, too.

The cookie dough was thick and the beater scraped the bowl really well.

I’ve read about the Beater Blade which has two gray flexible scraping parts.

Compared with the KitchenAid that I purchased, which just has the gray rubber on one side.

I’m sure that it’s beneficial to have rubber on both sides, but I was impatient and didn’t want to wait to order it and am happy with my one-sided purchase.

However, I just saw this pink one and pretty much have to have it.

Two pink sides is better than one gray side, right?

While I edit pictures, I will be slurping a pre-made Banana Cream Pudding Pie Smoothie from the batch I made earlier that’s in the freezer.

The caramel, the banana pudding mix in the smoothie, the butterscotch and white chocolate chips should hopefully take my mind off the fact that I really don’t need to eat any more cookies even though I’m staring at pictures of them thinking IwantmorecookiesIwantmorecookies.

Have you purchased any fun kitchen tools or gadgets lately?

Or any other fun purchases you’re enjoying?

One other thing I had in my hand while I was at BB & B but did not buy it was a popover pan because I’ve seen some fun popover recipes I’d like to try.

The main reason I didn’t buy it is that it’s huge, heavy, and thinking about where to store this beast is why I didn’t purchase it.

My kitchen has no storage.  You’re “across” the width of the kitchen in precisely 1 step, about 3 feet wide, and what storage there is, I’ve maxed out with appliances.

Those cupboards are lined with sugar, sprinkles, and kitchen power tools.  So I put the popover pan on standby, for now.

31 Responses to “Scraped”

Claire @ Live and Love to Eat — January 18, 2012 at 8:14 am

I’ve heard that the most useful tool to buy for your mixer is a second bowl! :)

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — January 18th, 2012 at 8:18 am

Good tip and something I’ve thought about doing, too….all these “extras” are killin’ me :)

kathleen @ the daily crumb — January 18, 2012 at 8:18 am

i still only use the tools that came with my kitchen aid… have been meaning to invest in some other beaters/blades! thanks for the review on this :)

Kathryn — January 18, 2012 at 8:19 am

I haven’t seen those flexible edge beaters before but now I really want one! I do sympathise about kitchen space though, there is not a square inch of my kitchen that isn’t stuffed to the brim!

Nicole — January 18, 2012 at 8:25 am

I really want to find & buy a pan for mini loaves. To bake 4 small breads rather than 1-2 bricks of banana bread!

Erica — January 18, 2012 at 8:41 am

So fun! I want one. I need to download that software like whoa

Anna @ On Anna's Plate — January 18, 2012 at 9:28 am

Ahh! I never knew that these existed– and have often wished for a scraper beater for my bowl!!!

Rebecca @ Naturally Healthy and Gorgeous — January 18, 2012 at 10:09 am

You kitchen is gorgeous! Love the floors!

Meg @ Sweet Twist — January 18, 2012 at 10:19 am

You bought it!! Fun!!

Kelly — January 18, 2012 at 10:23 am

Oh I hoard SOO many BBB coupons in the glove compartment of my car haha, its nuts!! I’ll definitely have to go get one of these, it looks great. And um you’re kitchen is GORGEOUS!!! :)

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — January 18th, 2012 at 1:22 pm

Thanks!

and I have mine in an envelope…in my trunk :) Just in case I am in the area, ya know.

claire @ the realistic nutritionist — January 18, 2012 at 10:25 am

Your kitchen is freakin’ fabulous! Plus, I always hoard coupons and never use them. I’m so bad. I love those scrapers though, totally worth the splurge, I think!

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — January 18th, 2012 at 1:21 pm

Thanks…the pic makes it look about 3x bigger than it really is. It’s literally 3 feet wide. SMALL!

Kristen — January 18, 2012 at 10:56 am

I’m thinking I absolutely need that pink one! Now!

Anna @ The Guiltless Life — January 18, 2012 at 10:56 am

Those pink beaters are adorable! And storage space is the #1 reason why I don’t end up buying a lot of pans/appliances I wish I could. I just got my Magic Bullet so that I will have something convenient to make smoothies with when travelling, and justified it because it’s so narrow and will fit but otherwise storage is almost always a dealbreaker!

Jemma @ Celery and Cupcakes — January 18, 2012 at 11:15 am

I need a kitchen aid stat!

Amber K — January 18, 2012 at 11:34 am

Man, BBB should be paying you for how much business they get from you :) I haven’t actually tried to use any expired coupons yet, but I have a stack!

Kilee — January 18, 2012 at 12:06 pm

Hi Averie! I got a Kitchen Aid Mixer for Christmas last year, but didn’t unpack it until moving into our new house this winter. I text my mom to thank her and tell her how much I love it every single time I use it!
    I haven’t seen those egg beaters, but also have a BB&B coupon in my purse. Last time I was there, I picked up two silpat baking liners that I had been wanting since 2001!

dragonmamma/naomi — January 18, 2012 at 12:48 pm

You’re starting to remind me of Loni Anderson when she played Jennifer in WKRP: Cinncinnati. (A tv show from way back in the ’70s.) She was dating a kitchen appliance salesman, and one of the running gags was that she had an entire wall of appliances on the side of her kitchen because he would give her one every time he picked her up for a date. Shelf after shelf of everything you can imagine.

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — January 18th, 2012 at 1:20 pm

When I was a kid and used to watch Three’s Company reruns, it came on right after WKRP and I remember Loni. I didn’t watch the show…but now I wish I had :)

Lauren — January 18, 2012 at 1:13 pm

Is that seriously your kitchen? Gorgeous!!

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — January 18th, 2012 at 1:19 pm

Yes, all 100 square feet of it, if that :) That picture makes it look about 3x bigger than it is.

bitt — January 18, 2012 at 2:28 pm

since I’ve moved I don’t get any Bed Bath and Beyond coupons, it used to be impossible to get to, now I live right near one! Any idea how to get back on their mailing list?

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — January 18th, 2012 at 3:48 pm

Go to their website and sign up for their email list and/or I am pretty sure there is a coupon subscription for snailmail, too. But if you get on their email list, about 2-4 times per month, they send emails with coupons, too!

Rachel @ The Avid Appetite — January 18, 2012 at 2:49 pm

I totally need a second bowl for my mixer! I have a recipe from BLT Steak in NYC for their popovers, which are to die for. I don’t have a popover pan…nor do I have a place to store it in my tiny apartment kitchen!

Luv What You Do — January 18, 2012 at 8:00 pm

Now that I am getting comfy with my kitchenaid (I’ve only had it a few months), I was thinking about what additions I wanted. The pink scraper blades are a MUST and I think I saw an ice cream bowl at BB&B one time. Thanks for the rec!

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — January 18, 2012 at 8:28 pm

I didn’t know you could buy attachments like that!!!!! I definitely want to get some for my mixer!

Christine (The Raw Project) — January 19, 2012 at 6:22 am

Very neat on the scrapper, great find! You make me want to hijack my mom’s mixer for awhile. :-) No kitchen finds lately, but I have a growing wishlist like new coffee mugs and a tea kettle. I’ve been enjoying new web software lately which I’ll be posting more about soon.