Silver Linings

We’ve only been home from Aruba for a week and a half, but I miss it.

Our vacation already feels like a long-lost distant memory, but it’s only been 10 days.

I was going through my photos and was lusting after the beach.

Then again, don’t we all lust after a white sandy beach with turquoise water?

Well, some people claim they don’t like hot weather or are they’re not a “beach person” but I’m pretty sure being here is better than a trip to the dentist.

But let’s look at the silver linings of being home.

Food that I can only buy here such as Pepper Jelly is one such silver lining because I love this stuff.  A dab of cream cheese and a dab of pepper jelly on just about anything from crackers to carrot sticks and I’m very happy.

Another silver lining is that I’ve really been enjoying cooking and baking this past week in my kitchen.  Not having to sweat to death when cooking is nice, too.  (No A/C in my 85F+ Caribbean kitchen)

Having a dishwasher is a perk.

And it was nice to eat White Chocolate Snickerdoodle Cookies in bed while watching the Real Housewives, Patti the Millionaire Matchmaker and Andy Cohen Reunion two-part episodes, and Top Chef Texas episodes that I missed while I was gone and that were piled up on my DVR.

Eating cookies while laying in bed with Bravo reality shows cued up is almost as good as laying on the beach.

I’ll count it as a silver lining.

And on top of that, it’s been absolutely gorgeous in San Diego the past few days but on Wednesday is was especially nice and unseasonably warm and in the low 80s.  It was glorious.

The other silver lining is that Skylar did wonderfully on her first day at her new school yesterday.

Her teacher left a note affixed to her lunch box that said, “Skylar had a great first day!” which was such a relief to me.  Also hearing Skylar recount the events of her day and be so excited by it all, but also fairly un-phased about the change, was fabulous.  I couldn’t have asked for a better first day and the comments I got from all of you on the post were really, really appreciated.  I was a ball of nerves yesterday!

Have you experienced any silver linings or bright spots today or recently?

I know the winter weather, the post-holiday doldrums, being back at the grind can be kind of humdrum, but hopefully something has given you a little pep in your step.

Looks like the NuNaturals Stevia Giveaway is a silver lining for some of you.

39 Responses to “Silver Linings”

Kathryn — January 5, 2012 at 1:25 am

I am desperately trying to find a silver lining to being back at work and with a long stretch in front of me without a break but not really succeeding! One thing that I do quite like though is being back in a routine. As wonderful as holiday time is, sometimes I do feel a bit lost. Saying that, I’d much rather be on a beach without a routine than anything else right now!

So glad that Skylar had a good first day!

Loveforfood — January 5, 2012 at 1:27 am

omg that is a beautiful place. thanks for sharing the wonderful photos.

Katrina (GF Gidget) — January 5, 2012 at 2:53 am

I’m such a Patty Positive most of the time that I’m pretty sure I could find the bright side of stepping in dog poo! haha

J @ ... semplicemente j ... — January 5, 2012 at 3:41 am

I did not go far during this break, nor to as place as beautiful as Aruba, however I must agree with you being in my own kitchen … usually not baking … but cooking felt just amazing …

Alyssa (Down To Earth) — January 5, 2012 at 3:59 am

My silver lining would be after not having internet for nearly a month, I get to come back to your lovely photos of Aruba (glad to hear you had a wonderful time!) and past recipes that I missed!
    Also, my poor little blog that’s been so neglected. . .

Nadiya — January 5, 2012 at 4:00 am

Wow Aruba looks gorgeous! Now it’s time to get back to work :(

Alex@Spoonful of Sugar Free — January 5, 2012 at 4:53 am

So glad she had a great day of school! Perfect!

My silver lining is actually the few days of cold we had this week (shocking!). I usually hate the cold, but it has been fun bundling up into some hats and scarves…ok, fine the high was still 60*, but that can be rather cold for us Floridians!

• Tracy replied: — January 5th, 2012 at 7:27 am

Alex, I would love to come visit you and your 60* weather! Yesterday morning I took a picture of my car reading 16*! Too cold for me. On a brighter note, we are supposed to have a high of 48* today, lol. I am “patiently” waiting for summer :)

My silver lining is that every year in January an agricultural show comes to town and that means I get to buy pure vermont maple syrup and maple cream (some years we get maple cotton candy as well). I truly look forward to this show every year and it just so happens to start this Saturday!

Nicole — January 5, 2012 at 4:58 am

Those photos are amazing!
    Silver lining has to be that when I leave work at night, there is still some light in the sky! We’re on our way to Spring.

katie @ KatieDid — January 5, 2012 at 5:07 am

Glad to hear skylar did well! I’ve had plenty of silver linings lately because well… im still on break from school! Can’t really complain about much these days :)

Heather (Where's the Beach) — January 5, 2012 at 5:15 am

It’s always so hard for me to leave the beach behind. I literally dream of ways to move there for months after. But, like you said, there are some positives about being back home. Oh, my dad is totally one of those people that doesn’t like hot weather. He’s one to wear shorts or short-sleeved shirts all winter. Crazy man ;-)

Lauren @ Oatmeal after Spinning — January 5, 2012 at 5:52 am

Ha! I’m a total Bravo reality show junkie, too. I just watched the latest Real Housewives Beverly Hills episode last night- and can’t wait for the next! :)
    And I LOVE Patti and Millionaire Matchmaker!
    My silver lining: I’m going to Florida next weekend. It’s certainly no Aruba, but will hopefully be a lot warmer than DC!

kirsten — January 5, 2012 at 6:15 am

What I wouldn’t do to be at a beach like that!! HOLY BEAUTIFUL. This is the year of the dishwasher for me….hopefully :P I have been washing dishes for the last 15 years of my life and then some.haha
    My little girl just started preschool this year too. I was the mom who stayed the whole first class. I think I was more nervous then her. She loves it now.

HRCK the Herald — January 5, 2012 at 7:00 am

That water is so shockingly blue. Very different from the beige-y office I’m sitting in right now…

But I think those cookies and the good report from the teacher would be the best way to ease back into slightly less visually stunning scenes!

Good luck as you continue to transition!

Rachel — January 5, 2012 at 7:08 am

So pleased Skylar enjoyed her new school.

And just a quick thank you for your always awesome blog. At a time of year when all blogs are full of detox diets, ridiculous intentions and implications that we’re all doing it wrong, it’s good to know I’m not the only one who likes to go to bed with cookies and reality TV!!

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — January 5th, 2012 at 5:22 pm

I am glad my reality and realism resonates with you. It’s the truth so hey, I write it :)

I dont save up my major life changes for Jan 1. I do them as needed, all year, daily, monthly, etc.

Gena — January 5, 2012 at 7:20 am

It’s a strange, bittersweet experience to come home from a beloved spot. I always feel sad when I leave upstate NYC, but I console myself with the same things you do: cooking and my kitchen!

Katie — January 5, 2012 at 7:21 am

I’m looking for a silver lining. It’s hard to find one right now. Umm…the weather is nicer than I thought it was going to be today?

Rebecca @ Naturally Healthy and Gorgeous — January 5, 2012 at 7:36 am

Where do you buy that pepper jelly?

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — January 5th, 2012 at 3:33 pm

Trader Joe’s but you can find pepper jelly in most grocery stores in the condiments section by asian sweet and sour sauces; or sometimes the jelly aisle.

Kerry @ Totes My Oats — January 5, 2012 at 9:17 am

I am leaving to go back to college in 2 days. I have to make the 1000 mile trip from NY to AL and am totally dreading it and getting back into school zone. However, I only have one semester left! So, what am I complaining about? After all, I’m sure next year I will miss being an undergrad :)

lindsay — January 5, 2012 at 10:07 am

oh definitely a silver lining. I am beach bum for sure, i lived in hawaii for that reason! But now that we are in NZ i do my my own kitchen. I don’t miss the cold! haha.

Amber K — January 5, 2012 at 10:39 am

So glad Skylar’s first day went well. Kids are so much more resilient than we are I think. Plus, she just seems like one happy kid. What wouldn’t other kids like about that? :)

Stacy @ Say It With Sprinkles — January 5, 2012 at 10:56 am

I love a sandy beach, white or not…I love turquoise water & laying in the sun. I’m definitely a beach person, and those photos from Aruba definitely make me happier just looking at them!

vogelstar — January 5, 2012 at 12:06 pm

During our Jamaican honeymoon last month, we were already planning our next trip so I know how you feel. It’s like everything in between my travels is fluff. Ok maybe that’s an exageration :)

Bianca @ Confessions of a Chocoholic — January 5, 2012 at 12:57 pm

Hehe we watch the same shows ;)

I’m also back from my vacation and the bright spot I have is that it’s nice to be back to a familiar daily routine!

emily (a nutritionist eats) — January 5, 2012 at 1:49 pm

Glad Skylar’s first day went well, what a cutie!

SoCal’s weather has been AMAZING this week! Every time I walk out of my apartment I wonder if I’m in Mexico! :)

Kelly @ Vegolosophy — January 5, 2012 at 2:38 pm

OMG, that looks beautiful! We are leaving for Hawaii tomorrow and I can not wait for the warm weather, fruity drinks, and beautiful beaches. It was 20 here today in NYC, burrrrrr! I am so excited to get back to warm weather!

Christine (The Raw Project) — January 5, 2012 at 3:22 pm

Gorgeous pics, but SD is pretty nice too. :-) Silver lining for me is a short week and unseasonably dry and warm weather for the weekend.

Kate @ Run with Kate — January 5, 2012 at 4:55 pm

Aruba just looks INSANELY perfect! Oh my goodness. I’d be missing it too. Although, you’re in San Diego where we have life pretty easy, huh?

Those cookies look amazing! Where is the place you’re living in now?

Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers — January 5, 2012 at 6:59 pm

I love the Pepper Jelly with cream cheese, so simple and so good!! I would miss Aruba too, it looks so beautiful!

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — January 5, 2012 at 7:27 pm

Cream cheese and pepper jelly are a match made in heaven!!

The snow is melting and it is the warmest winter we have ever had (as far back as I can remember), so that is a silver lining in itself.

Kelly @ Foodie Fiasco — January 5, 2012 at 7:51 pm

Oh my goodness, Averie! Are you okay? I am so sorry. As a mater of fact, I just came back from a run where took a tumble, too, so I feel your pain. We must be in sync. ;)

Luv What You Do — January 14, 2012 at 7:59 pm

I just took a similar picture of my toes overlooking the Caribbean water!

I’ve been home only 2 days, but I already miss it!