Twice In One Day

I have wasted no time in breaking in my new mixer.

I managed to use it twice in one day.

And make just a few dirty dishes in the process.

With baking or cooking of any kind, it seems there’s always more dishes to do.  Just when you think there can’t be another one, there is.

First, I made some bars.

They’re very similar to these White Chocolate Blondies with Chocolate Peanut Butter Frosting but I didn’t use white chocolate chips in today’s batch.

And later it was Round Two of Let’s See How Much of a Mess I can Make in my Kitchen and I made something that required me to make pink cream cheese frosting.

It was a requirement because pink food tastes better, I’m convinced.

Licking a bowl never tasted so good.

After all the dishes were done from baking, I apparently was just a glutton for more dishes and broke out my Vita-Mix and made a batch of Orange PushUp Smoothies.

Thankfully the Vita practically cleans itself in three seconds with things like smoothies.

Dough balls?  The Vita requires a bit more active cleanup work after making them.

But the cleanup is worth every second from a batch of Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Balls (No-Bake, Vegan, GF)

One tip is to never let anything that’s sticky, thick, gloppy, or doughy just hang out in the Vita while you go check your email, file your nails, or organize your shoes.  The longer it sits, the harder it becomes to clean.

Or just make dough balls that don’t require any power appliances to be dirtied like Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Bites

Do you try to keep all your major cooking or baking projects to one time of the day or a certain day of the week?

I definitely have days of the week that I know I am going to bake or tackle certain kitchen projects.  I know I have a certain window of time on a particular day to do bake and clean up, and that the next day I will have another block of time that I can set aside to take pictures of the finished product.  Normally it’s fairly well-planned.

But then there are some days that even after making one thing, and getting the dishes all done, the countertops wiped down, and everything back in it’s place that I get a wild hair and a burst of creativity and inspiration and can’t help myself…

…And I do it all over again.  Twice in one day.

Do you put your cookware or baking pans in the dishwasher?

I put things like spatulas, whisks, and spoons in the dishwasher but not pots and pans, cookie sheets, or mixing bowls.

However, many items are not dishwasher-safe, and other items I’ve read that the dishwasher is not really ideal and will degrade them faster.

Plus, there’s the space issue.  One mixing bowl and 2 cookie sheets and the bottom of my dishwasher is nearly full and it seems like a waste so I handwash them.

Have a great weekend!

Winner of the Avocado Giveaway announced tomorrow.

38 Responses to “Twice In One Day”

Heather (Where's the Beach) — January 13, 2012 at 12:44 pm

I’d be using that sucker as much as possible too – gotta break it in right?? I end up handwashing most bowls and sheets and always pots/skillets. I only have a few mixing bowls and use them so often that I’m going to end up washing them anyway. I also like to hand wash any blenders/processors also b/c I want to be able to put the appliance away right then rather than wait on the next time I run the washer.

Erica — January 13, 2012 at 12:46 pm

Whoop! What a fun day. I could bake almost every day. I try to keep it to a day or two a week…but I usually end up out of control! I am with you- I only put utensils in the dish washer. Everything else is done by hand. Have a fabulous weekend

Annie @ Naturally Sweet Recipes — January 13, 2012 at 1:01 pm

I love my mixer! When I first got mine, I was using it constantly for hours! I kept coming up with excuses to use it, until my husband had to cut me off. Ha. Yes, I group projects together sometimes. It saves time and messes! Hope you have a wonderful 3 day weekend! :)

• Charlene replied: — February 9th, 2012 at 9:33 pm

These look just like bearky cookies, but BETTER! My family would go nuts for these~

caronae — January 13, 2012 at 1:08 pm

I got a kitchen aid stand mixer for christmas too! It is my first “big girl” kitchen appliance and I could not be more thrilled. It is in pistachio green. I think it is slightly smaller than yours, but still huge. :)

J3nn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) — January 13, 2012 at 1:11 pm

I don’t put baking pans in the dishwasher, but my mom does. I’ll put in mixing spoons and the whisk and paddles, too.

Love the pink cream cheese frosting! I made everything pink last night peeling and chopping beets, lol.

Kelli H (Made in Sonoma) — January 13, 2012 at 1:19 pm

Your new mixer is beautiful!

katie @ KatieDid — January 13, 2012 at 1:20 pm

Ambitious day doing two big baking projects! See you’re smart to separate the baking and the photo taking, I usually try to do both at once and it takes a ton of hand washing and running back and forth and being super careful with the camera. Not to mention about 3 hours start to finish!

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — January 13th, 2012 at 1:55 pm

Oh and no way can I get it all done in good LIGHT. I’d have to get up at 5am and start baking :) The recipe development, baking it, waiting for it to cool, adding the next step of frosting, doing all those dishes…then the photo shoot, staging, plating, and worrying about light. I am usually mentally and physically fried after the baking part…no way I can pick up the camera then, too!

lindsay — January 13, 2012 at 1:42 pm

haha, thats how i am too! might as well bust it all out at once, right? Wish i was there to lick those bowls. YUM!

Lindsay @ Fuel My Family — January 13, 2012 at 1:47 pm

I handwash my baking supplies just because they take up too much room. I put my spatulas and utensils in though out of laziness. It may degrade them faster but if i can be lazy and dishwash it for 10 years then have to spend only $15 on a new one, its worth it!

dragonmamma/naomi — January 13, 2012 at 1:52 pm

I don’t have a dishwasher, so I have no choice.
    5 seconds of immediate rinsing beats 30 seconds of scrubbing later on, for sure.

Rebecca @ Naturally Healthy and Gorgeous — January 13, 2012 at 3:03 pm

Pink does make everything taste better!

Ela — January 13, 2012 at 3:11 pm

Sounds like a fun day! Breaking in a new kitchen gadget is always the best.
    No dishwasher here, and I totally relate to the “wild hair” and needing to make a whole nother something!
    love
    Ela

• Peter replied: — February 11th, 2012 at 5:26 pm

The coikoes were a big hit with my girlfriends. Hope to get a post up soon with the results. Thanks again for sharing!

Christine (The Raw Project) — January 13, 2012 at 3:32 pm

Busy girl! Looks like you’re having a blast with the mixer, awesome! So true on cleaning the Vita, but I end up using my food processor for balls since the dough is so thick. I only put metal cookware in the dishwasher and hand wash the non stick stuff.

Lately my recipe creating schedule has been all over the place, sometimes on weekends I get on a roll in the kitchen.

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — January 13, 2012 at 4:04 pm

I cook/bake at all times and on all days :-) I never, ever, put my baking pans in the dishwasher. I would like to, but the hubby would probably have my head!

Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers — January 13, 2012 at 6:35 pm

I’m so glad you broke out your mixer! My baking days are normally on Sunday, but I’ve been know to whip out a batch of cookies on a Monday night. I bake whenever the mood hits. Friday nights are normally making granola or peanut butter. Saturdays I like to make a nice breakfast, like pancakes, or muffins or something, I don’t like to cook Saturday nights, it’s my break night.

I wash my pans, pots, stand mixer bowl and the rest I throw in the dishwasher. I wish I had a gigantic dishwasher that could clean everything!!

Laura @ Gluten Free Pantry — January 13, 2012 at 6:36 pm

Anything with pink is always better :)

Nicole — January 13, 2012 at 7:08 pm

I try and get my cooking/baking done on the weekends…it means a block of time on one or two days but means less cooking during the week!

I am much more of a hand-washing kind of cook!

Sarah @ The Healthy Diva — January 13, 2012 at 7:38 pm

This week I’ve been trying to not eat things that come out of a box or bag. As a consequence I’ve been doing a LOT of cooking and even more cleaning up! But my tummy is happy for it. I try not to put my pots and pans in the dishwasher cuz I find they don’t last as long that way. Hand washing takes longer, but I just put my radio on and groove while I clean up!

Katie — January 13, 2012 at 8:45 pm

Can I come over and lick that pink frosting bowl? I seriously can’t get enough when there is frosting around. Ever notice that none of my treats are frosted? There’s a reason for that, and it has a name: Lack of willpower. I can sit next to almost anything and not be tempted, except frosting. No matter how sugared out I am, there’s always room in the dessert pocket for frosting. Especially pink.

I would have a field day with that mixer! Jealous.

Sarah@studiofood — January 14, 2012 at 12:12 am

Wow, that’s a serious bunch of cooking! I made a huge mess of my kitchen today, and managed to dirty so many appliances and bowls just making a 3-ingredient mango gelato. It wasn’t worth the effort, but I’m thinking the cookie dough balls probably would be!

Beth — January 14, 2012 at 7:00 am

Oops! I read the first line wrong, and thought that you said “I have wasted no time in breaking my new mixer.” Glad that didn’t happen to you!

As far as dishwashing bakeware goes, I’ll throw sheet pans, cake pans, etc. with a nonstick coating in the dishwasher, but straight aluminum pans without a coating come out of the dishwasher looking streaky and damaged. They are still fully functional, but they don’t look good. I dish wash my Kitchenaid bowls and beaters at work, but I hand wash the whips for fear that they’ll get disjointed from the pressure of the water, or from knocking into something else on the top rack. No dishwasher at home, so everything gets scrubbed down in the sink.

Julie @ Table for Two — January 14, 2012 at 8:52 am

Happy weekend, Averie! I never put my baking dishes and pans in the dishwasher. I definitely don’t want to ruin them and yeah, it may be a pain to wash them all the time, but in the end, they last longer therefore saving me $$!! Love your kitchenaid and love that you’re breaking it in so well! ;)

Alison — January 14, 2012 at 9:58 am

I don’t usually do all my baking in one day – I often just do some late at night when I get the urge to bake something! And I fit as much as I can in my dishwasher, but we do do a lot of hand-washing of dishes too.

Amber K — January 14, 2012 at 11:46 am

I do all of my prep work at once so it’s done for the week, but I don’t always do it at the same time or even on the same day. I keep trying to convince my husband that he has to rinse things or at the least let them soak so things don’t harden. He hasn’t quite gotten into the habit, so there’s usually a ton of scrubbing that has to be done.

Alison @ Ingredients, Inc. — January 14, 2012 at 11:54 am

love pink too i must say! Have a great weekend!!

Deborah — January 14, 2012 at 9:41 pm

Love the pink!!

Tasha @ Voracious Eats — January 15, 2012 at 2:43 am

Anything topped in chocolate peanut butter frosting is destined to be mine. There are few flavor combinations better than chocolate and peanut butter, as far as I’m concerned. I LOVE the sweet + salty combination….okay, all this talk has me scooting off to the kitchen for a bit of dark chocolate with sea salt.

And yes! Pink food is always the tastiest.

blossjoss — January 15, 2012 at 12:04 pm

hiya! question. i’m converting to reading my blogs in the app Mixtab instead of wordpress, and I cant figure out what to enter to subscribe to your page. do you have a url that will work? for some other blogs it would pop up automatically like “www.awesomebloghere/feed/” or something.