Whoopie

I’ve been wanting a whoopie pie pan for awhile.

I just went to Bed Bath & Beyond and picked up the last two.  If you live in San Diego, the Mission Valley BB & B is fresh out of whoopie.

Using 20% off coupons that I hoard and that don’t expire despite a printed expiration date on them (save them and redeem them on your next purchase; this is up to the store’s discretion but I’ve tried in probably 20 stores in 5 states and never had an issue), but the whoopie pie pans were only about $9 bucks each after using a coupon or order on Amazon.  Cheap whoopie thrills.

I’ve seen recipes on blogs and on Pinterest floating around for cookies made in whoopie pans and they always look so good.

It was one of those wild hairs that until I try this myself, I cannot rest.  The baking bug has bitten, whoopie style.

First up will be a batch of Peanut Butter Oatmeal White Chocolate Chip Cookies in the whoopie pans.

And then I’m thinking of trying Snickers Bar Stuffed Chocolate Chip Cookies so that I can really stuff the Snickers bars in really deep into the cookies and make fat stuffed cookies..

The cavities appear to hold about twice the amount of dough compared to regular cookies so I’m sure I’ll be able to stuff lots of candy into my cookies, which sounds perfect.

I love my donut pans

I use my full size donut pan for Baked Chocolate Peanut Butter Donuts with Vanilla Peanut Butter Glaze

And for Krispy Kreme style donuts at home

I used the mini-size donut pan for Baked Eggnog Vanilla Donuts with Eggnog Rum Glaze

The mini pan is more of a P.I.T.A. because you have to be much more careful and precise when pouring the batter and it takes longer than using the full size pan because each cavity is so small, but I’m still glad I have it.

I’ve watched inventory of donut pans at BB & B dwindle over the past few months:

October

November

January: I got the last two whoopie pans.  Whew.

Looks like at-home donuts are popular and that whoopie making is hotter than ever.

The winner of the Avocado Giveaway is Amber Shea @Almost Vegan.  Congrats!

What baking bugs have bitten you lately?  What do you want to make?

Have you seen anything interesting or fun that you’re dying to try?

I hope you’re enjoying your weekend and baking up some fun things!

38 Responses to “Whoopie”

Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers — January 14, 2012 at 2:38 pm

I can’t wait to see what you make with them. I just picked up a heart shape donut pan from target. Shame on me, now I have 4 different donut pans, but a girl can’t have enough donuts, right?

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — January 14th, 2012 at 2:49 pm

Umm yeah I didn’t even post about my Target run. Suffice to say, the valentine’s day baking section was fun and good to me :)

Kelly @ Foodie Fiasco — January 14, 2012 at 2:47 pm

You have made me a BB & B convert. Seriously.

Dishes, photo backgrounds, various pans and makers… you know. Necessities.

Aimee @ ShugarySweets — January 14, 2012 at 3:23 pm

I’ve made whoopie pies just using a baking sheet and piping the batter into a circle on parchment. A pan sounds way easier! LOVE IT.

Rebecca @ Naturally Healthy and Gorgeous — January 14, 2012 at 3:30 pm

I only ever buy things from Bed Bath and Beyond if I have a coupon!

• Paula Ramsay replied: — January 15th, 2012 at 5:32 am

And you know they NEVER expire, right???

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — January 15th, 2012 at 11:21 am

Another friend/reader just wrote to me on another post this:

“my BBB here must be really stingy because they don’t allow us to use expired ones. they specifically point out the date to us and is like “we can’t accept this”..it’s really such BS because I know a lot of other BBB’s (like ones near my parent’s house) that accept it. but they live 45 minutes away so i’m not goin to drive there but it’s such crap! lol”

Amanda @ Thinly Sliced Cucumber — January 14, 2012 at 3:47 pm

Wow – there’s a pan for everything isn’t there. I can’t wait to see what you make in this special pan. I have never made whoopie pies myself, but one of my good friends make the most amazing pumpkin whoopie pies. I know she doesn’t have a special pan for them though. Hmm…maybe I should get one for her then I can borrow it :)

Gina @ Running to the Kitchen — January 14, 2012 at 4:29 pm

After reading this entire post the only thing I can think of now after hearing the word “whoppie” is the Newlywed game. Every time that host would use the phrase “making whoppie” I would cringe. And now I’m cringing. haha

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — January 14th, 2012 at 8:11 pm

I pretty much loved Bob Eubanks and the NW Game! That and Three’s Company are what I used to watch after school…and the Brady Bunch.

AikoVenus — January 14, 2012 at 4:46 pm

Lately all I’ve been making is healthy “cookie” cereals that I plan on posting on my blog soon. And I’ve been trying to make whoopie pies…to no success. ^^ Maybe I do need those pans.

Get Skinny, Go Vegan. — January 14, 2012 at 6:32 pm

So funny. Didn’t even know that they existed! The whoopie pans!

Katie — January 14, 2012 at 7:41 pm

Anything that means bigger cookies is a win in my book.

Stacy @ Say It With Sprinkles — January 14, 2012 at 8:01 pm

Ahh! I want a both of those pans! I love cool kitchen stuff so much! =)

Baking Serendipity — January 14, 2012 at 8:13 pm

I love my doughnut pan! I can definitely see a whoopie pan being the next absolute addiction! I love the plans you have for yours :)

Deborah — January 14, 2012 at 9:45 pm

I think I need one or two of these in my life. I’m horrible at making cookies for some reason, so I love the idea to make cookies in these!

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — January 15th, 2012 at 3:03 am

That amazes me because your cookies always look PERFECT to me!

And I saw your cornflake bars on one of the most gawked or most favorited pages of FG this week. Congrats :)

STUFT Mama — January 14, 2012 at 11:07 pm

Oh great, now I have to add a whoopie pie pan to my list. :) I still want to buy a donut one every time you show those amazing donuts of yours. Can’t wait to see what kind of whoopies you come up with. You never cease to amaze me. Loving your new mixer too! :) we should gave a BB and B date (with expired coupons of course). :)

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — January 15th, 2012 at 3:03 am

We should definitely have a shopping date! Or a wine and cheese party. Or a cookie-making party :)

Sarah @ The Healthy Diva — January 15, 2012 at 12:57 am

I’m intrigued to know how the cookies turn out. I’ve caught the paleo baking bug of late because I want gluten and low sugar treats (my body does NOT digest sugar well lol). Next on my agenda is cranberry orange almond muffins!!!

Paula Ramsay — January 15, 2012 at 5:35 am

I already have donut & whoopie pie pans & love making yummies with them. I’m very very popular in my office building! Next, I want to tackle bagels! I just need to replace my thermometer since mine just went belly up :(

Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit — January 15, 2012 at 5:47 am

Those ice cream sandwich pans look interesting! So cool, we don’t have half of these things in Canada. You’re so lucky! I just made doughnuts yesterday and they were SO delicious. Loving my doughnut pan more than anything

Christine (The Raw Project) — January 15, 2012 at 8:22 am

How fun, can’t wait to see your creations with the pans! I’m been in a dehydrating mood lately wanting to get into using mine more creating breads and crackers, but I need more non-stick sheets for iit first. :-P

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — January 15, 2012 at 9:26 am

I have never even had a whoopie pie before! I am really happy with my donut pan, and can’t wait to use it more and more, and try some of your delicious looking donut recipes!

Amber K — January 15, 2012 at 11:26 am

I’ve wanted to get back into the kitchen and bake pretty much anything because I haven’t in weeks! I haven’t decided what to do first, but the blogosphere and Pinterest sure feed the addiction.

Heather (Where's the Beach) — January 15, 2012 at 1:09 pm

I’ve never had a whoopie pie. Crazy right???

shannonmarie (rawdorable) — January 15, 2012 at 1:21 pm

I’ve never heard of a whoopie pie pan. I just always used a regular baking sheet. But, I have wanted one of those donut pans.

Deirdre @ Ladies Holiday — January 15, 2012 at 5:40 pm

So first of all your photos send me over the edge in mouth watering I want to eat that NOW land. I mean seriously fantastic food shots! The cookies, the doughnuts, oh my! I don’t know where to begin or how exactly I stumbled upon your site, but there is no turning back now. I will scour the posts for the perfect oatmeal raisin cookie recipe, all night if I have to!!!

It may seem like a bit of a stretch, but making apple-cinnamon cheerio muffins, in the doughnut pan = giant cheerios, with a tall glass of milk, makes kids very happy. See the cheerio site for recipe :)

Best!

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — January 15th, 2012 at 11:01 pm

Thanks SO MUCH for writing, finding me, and for the glowing comments you’ve left tonight. I really appreciate it!! And thanks for the tip re the cheerios muffins in the donut pan.

Anna — January 19, 2012 at 8:33 pm

I just got my whoopie pie pan ( heart shapes:) ) but I like the ice cream sandwich one. Will have to look for it. I just discovered your blog and love it!