Cheater’s Heater

It’s been a rainy and dreary weekend in San Diego, all weekend.  It figures that it was gorgeous all week; sunny and in the mid to high 70sF and then come Saturday and Sunday and just in time for the weekend, the weather turned colder, rainy, and ugly.

My kitchen was looking a little ugly, or shall I say messy, for awhile this weekend.

Turning on the oven and baking was my solution to turning on the heat.  A little oven heat tends to be my favorite way to heat up the house.  If I can make bake and heat things up with cookie-making or baking, that’s a happy day.

I made cookies similar to Snickers Bar Stuffed Chocolate Chip Cookies, except I stuffed them with something else.

Stay tuned for a sweet and pink recipe in the morning.

What was the best part of your weekend?  Any fun foods or fun times with family or friends?

Do you ever use the it’s not quite cold enough to turn on the heater but it’s a little chilly so I’ll turn on the oven instead approach?

Thanks for the Cookbook Giveaway entries

29 Responses to “Cheater’s Heater”

Stephanie — February 12, 2012 at 4:30 pm

I seem to have the opposite problem with my oven. Guaranteed the weekend I decide to bust out a new lasagna recipe is the weekend we’re having a heat wave, and there I am in a warm kitchen when it’s 80+ degrees out.

The best part of my weekend just happened – my husband and I went for massages. I usually opt for the cheaper student option, and I lucked into a GREAT practitioner. One of the best massages I’ve had there!

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — February 12th, 2012 at 8:47 pm

That happens to me when we move (we’ve moved about 10 times in 10 years)…it can be cool/normal but just let us pick a moving date and it will *always* be record-breaking heat!

Angela / Canned Time — February 12, 2012 at 4:31 pm

Your weather looks great to me, our high was only 35 today, bbbuurrrrr! I made some yummy chili and tried a gluten free corn bread recipe. Kept us warm but I’m sure I’d rather have had some of those Snicker Bar cookies…….looking forward to seeing your pink surprise! Thanks Averie.

Jenny — February 12, 2012 at 4:34 pm

I do use that approach! I’m married to a “don’t touch that thermostat” kind of man (grew up with one, too) so I have to get creative to stay warm! And you call that messy? I don’t even see a single crumb! Those cookies look yummy. Looking forward to your pink project!

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — February 12th, 2012 at 8:45 pm

Yes that’s as messy as it gets for me…I am a neat freak, what can I say :) My dad sounds like your hubs with the thermostat, too!

Katie @ Raisins&Apples — February 12, 2012 at 4:40 pm

Oooo I see coconut!

I’ve never put the oven on to keep warm, but I definitely take a ridiculously hot bath and then get dressed in everything I own.

J3nn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) — February 12, 2012 at 4:51 pm

I like the multi-purpose of oven heat when it’s chilly too! It’s also why I hate turning it on in the summer, lol.

I love stuffed sweet things. I need more of them in my life. :)

brandi taylor — February 12, 2012 at 4:52 pm

I see pink, which means my little girl will be getting involved with that one, her forever favorite color :-). To stay warm I have so many pairs of long socks and leg warmers, if I can just keep the feet warm the rest stays warm too

Paula — February 12, 2012 at 4:55 pm

Best part of my weekend was finishing my ruby ring and playing in the kitchen. The temps took a dive here and my brave (crazy) stepdaughter participated in a “polar plunge” for a Special Olympics fundraiser. I can’t imagine jumping into freezing cold water in 12 degree temps!!!

Luv What You Do — February 12, 2012 at 5:02 pm

The best part of my weekend was this morning’s yoga class with my mom which is closely followed by booking a trip to LAS VEGAS!

TeenyLittleSuperChef — February 12, 2012 at 5:29 pm

In my opinion, the best way to turn a cold, rainy day around is to make lovely little goodies in my kitchen. Since I live in Oregon, those days happen more often than not. Since I can’t play outdoors, I can at least stock my pantry with a bunch of cookies and cupcakes… hmm, probably not good for my physical health, but definitely increases my mental health. I can’t wait to see your recipe for those cookies stuffed with some pink stuff :) I’m going to miss when Valentine’s Day is over and there aren’t as many heart-shaped and pink treats floating around the blog world

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — February 12th, 2012 at 8:43 pm

heart-shaped and pink treats floating around the blog world have been awesome and Im going to miss it too!

Marcia @Frugal Healthy Simple — February 12, 2012 at 6:17 pm

Well, this weekend I walked 4 miles, grocery shopped, made key lime bars for my spouse for V-day, make au gratin potatoes and kale…and then sat down on the couch with aching legs and feet. Turns out I don’t have as much energy pregnant as I used to.

Then we went to a friend’s house for dinner (haven’t seen them in ages – busy holidays). Had a ton of fun. Today it was swimming and I made rolls. Didn’t feel up to making homemade soup, so it’s soup from a box tonight, rolls, and kale chips.

Rest of the weekend was chores and prep for our camping trip next weekend. Joshua Tree. Hub’s sister’s family (5 of ‘em) are flying out from NY and will be joining us camping for a night, so we had to gather/borrow extra gear from friends to outfit them. Fun!

Alyssa (Down To Earth) — February 12, 2012 at 6:56 pm

It was snow storming out here in Buffalo, NY, so I fired up the oven and tried out your French Toast Sweet Potato Fries…they turned out wonderful! We even picked all the leftover sweet crunchies that were left on the pan. Delicious!
    I also made a lentil, butternut squash, and coconut milk stew. That one turned out okay; it was my first time making it. It could use a few tweaks for next time.
    Looking forward to your pink recipe!

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — February 12th, 2012 at 8:41 pm

Oh I am soooo happy to hear your made the french toast sweet taters! Those leftover crunnchies are so good, aren’t they! I could just eat a bowl full of those :)

Your stew sounds great, too.

Julie — February 12, 2012 at 7:29 pm

I bake when it’s cold.

Lindsay @ Fuel My Family — February 12, 2012 at 7:31 pm

Snickers in cookies? My husband would be putty in my hands!

Katie — February 12, 2012 at 8:50 pm

It was 3 degrees outside yesterday. Not that I would know from actually feeling it though. I stay inside when it gets that cold out. I did have to shovel on Friday and that was enough “playing” in the snow for me. It’s supposed to get warm again this week. And by warm I mean 35. That’s practically a heat wave around here!

Heather (Where's the Beach) — February 13, 2012 at 5:42 am

LOL – yes, when it gets chilly I am all about making something that requires the oven to be on!

Amber K — February 13, 2012 at 10:29 am

I try to avoid the oven as much as possible in the summer, but in the winter I can always justify cranking it up! Baking is a great excuse for heat. Right…because of course I’m not actually going to eat whatever comes out…no, it’s just for the heat. Oh who am I kidding? lol

Tracy — February 13, 2012 at 12:38 pm

I don’t know why it didn’t occur to me to bake something in attempts to keep warm. I generally bundle up in an extra sweater, socks and blanket (or 2) when I get chilly.

I did make your caramelized chickpeas over the weeken and they were so good! I thought I would experiment trying both the regular version and the version with peanut flour at once, which didn’t really work out very well considering they are supposed to cook at different temperatures. At least I know which flavor I prefer :)

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — February 13, 2012 at 5:42 pm

Yeah, occasionally we will leave the oven open after we have cooked (and we have turned the oven off) to heat the house up a bit if it is not cold enough to turn the heater on.