Mardi Gras Party Recipes

Can I get a big TGIF. I’m ready for the weekend and it’s supposed to be a nice, sunny weekend in “sunny” San Diego.

The last few weekends were rainy but this one is supposed to be clear as a bell with temps in the high 60s or low 70s. I’ll take that, yes please, don’t mind if I do.

There’s a pre-Mardi Gras street party and one-day festival in our neighborhood that may be fun to attend for the spectacular people-watching component alone. I’m sure the beads will be flying, the liquor will be flowing, and there will be lots of shirtless men.

If I were throwing a Mardi Gras party, I’d choose food with rich Cajun, Creole, Caribbean or bold seasonings, and I’d wash it down with fun drinks, and liquor-laden desserts, to boot. May as well live it up!

Recipes I’d consider including are:

Drinks

Buttery Nipple Shots

Sex on the Beach Shots

Appetizers

Spinach & Artichoke Dip (Fat Free, Vegan)

Sweet Corn Salsa with Mango, Lime, Red Pepper

Rosemary Chipotle Roasted Almonds

Sides & Mains

Caribbean Citrus Roasted Sweet Potatoes

Spicy Baked Black Beans with Mixed Vegetables

Caribbean Coconut Rice with Garbanzos & Veggies

Chipotle Salsa Lentils with Mixed Vegetables

Mango Balsamic Rice, Beans, & Mixed Vegetables

Pan Seared Lemon Pepper Grouper with Sweet Dipping Sauce

Desserts

Dark Rum Caramel Sauce for dipping fruit, crackers, or over ice cream

Vegan Bananas Foster

Dark Rum Oatmeal Raisin Cookies

Banana Crepes (Raw, Vegan, GF)

White Chocolate Vanilla Peanut Butter Puppy Chow (GF)

The winners of the Peanut Butter Cheerios Giveaway are:

Jenny@vegetarianhatesvegetables and Angela / Canned Time

Are you celebrating Mardi Gras (Fat Tuesday) in any way?

I am not throwing any parties nor are we going out. Similar to the Superbowl, it’s a nice thought to throw a party; and like Valentine’s Day, it’s fun to think about going out for a half of a second until we remember we have a five year old and it’s a school night. We’ll be staying in, and not co-mingling with the party-goers, drinkers, and night-out-on-the-town folks (even though we’ll be able to hear the screaming and craziness from the street below).

Have you ever been to any Mardi Gras parties? Either in New Orleans or in another city?

I have never been to Mardi Gras in New Orleans although I’ve heard it’s chaos and drunken revelry at it’s finest. The closest thing I surmise that I’ve been to that’s similar to Mardi Gras was Halloween in the Castro about eight years ago. Nothing like 100,000 drunk people, in Halloween costumes, i.e. hardly any “costumes” or clothes at all, in San Francisco, in very close quarters. Pretty much widespread pandemonium. Fun memories but not something I have any interest in repeating in my current old lady stage stage of life.

Enjoy your weekend!

44 Responses to “Mardi Gras Party Recipes”

Heather (Where's the Beach) — February 17, 2012 at 1:04 pm

And I would totally crash your Mardi Gras bash!! ;-) We’re not celebrating. We never do. I guess I never pay much attention to it actually.

Cassie — February 17, 2012 at 1:05 pm

Definitely trying that spinach and artichoke dip, looks amazing!

Paula — February 17, 2012 at 1:31 pm

I am enjoying the re-caps of some of your savory recipes. The lemon pepper grouper looks soooo nice (you put a great sear on that fish) and I think it would go well with the mango balsamic rice and veg. Dinner decision solved–thanks!! No Mardi Gras festivities for me either. Always sounds fun in theory but I like my peace and quiet.

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — February 17th, 2012 at 10:02 pm

That grouper I made in Aruba a year or two? ago. I didnt check the post date but they have *the best* grouper down there. Omg. It was worth every hot, sweaty, un-airconditioned kitchen second. And the mango balsamic rice..super good. Glad you like my vintage linkbacks :)

Erica — February 17, 2012 at 1:32 pm

Our neighbors are having a party, but I don’t think we’re going to make it :( – we already have dinner plans for that night. I’ve never actually celebrated Mardi Gras. I’d come for this feast though! Especially for the almonds and rice!

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — February 17th, 2012 at 10:01 pm

Have fun at your dinner..sounds better than hanging out in a bar with drunks. As a mom, I’m sure you can relate :)

Tracey — February 17, 2012 at 1:39 pm

We won’t be doing anything special for Mardi Gras either. I’ve never been to a Mardi Gras party but I do think it’d be really fun to get down to New Orleans while it’s going on!

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — February 17th, 2012 at 10:00 pm

I saw Michelle/BrownEye just link up those fudge stripe cookies of yours that Ive been thinking of all week…oh, I want THOSE. And a girls trip to NOLA!

Annie @ Naturally Sweet Recipes — February 17, 2012 at 1:48 pm

Looks like that will be a blast with all those delicious treats! No, I won’t be celebrating, but I might have to make one of those amazing dishes. yum!

Aylin @ Glow Kitchen — February 17, 2012 at 2:01 pm

Those look so delicious! I never celebrate it, even tho my sister lived in New Orleans for 2 years.

Sarah @ The Healthy Diva — February 17, 2012 at 2:13 pm

Hope you have a blissful weekend. I don’t normally celebrate mardi gras, but like watching all the highlights on the news

Bev Weidner — February 17, 2012 at 2:17 pm

Uh yeah that spin dip? MY FACE WANTS IT.

Saya at Saya's Soulful — February 17, 2012 at 2:26 pm

Throw the party!! That food is SOOO enticing and here in Sydney where its just before breakfast time… my tummy is rumbling for some of those delicious goodies…. Thanks for sharing xo

kathleen @ the daily crumb — February 17, 2012 at 2:55 pm

my husband is currently at mardi gras for a bachelor party. heaven help me… and him!

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — February 17th, 2012 at 9:58 pm

That means that you need to go to the Mag Mile and proceed directly to LV, Gucci, 900 N Michigan, and the BHPhoto.com
      That’s what girls deserve when staying home while their hubs are in Vegas on shenanigans :)

Jenny@vegetarianhatesvegetables — February 17, 2012 at 3:01 pm

That caribbean coconut rice looks really good! I just made a Cajun jambalaya that is similar to that today, but I had no idea Mardi Gras was coming up! Thanks again!

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — February 17th, 2012 at 9:57 pm

that rice is so good…I don’t even love/like rice, and I loved that! Your jambalaya sounds fab!!!

Christine (The Raw Project) — February 17, 2012 at 3:11 pm

TGIF indeed! Great recipe inspiration too. No plans for Mardi Gras here, I have been to celebrations in the past while living in Florida.

Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar — February 17, 2012 at 4:23 pm

I’m so happy I checked this! I don’t celebrate mardi gras, but that Caribbean coconut rice looks fabulous! I am so happy I found it!

Kiran @ KiranTarun.com — February 17, 2012 at 4:54 pm

Great round up of recipes — love that dark rum caramel sauce. Want it :D

Deirdre @ Ladies holiday — February 17, 2012 at 5:55 pm

The rice dishes look fabulous- adding to my repetoire and the puppy chow…mmm, mmm, good. Can you tell I love peanut butter and white chocolate- together or seperate.

Angela / Canned Time — February 17, 2012 at 6:09 pm

Can’t wait to try those Cheerios, thanks so much Averie. I’ll have to try one of your peanut butter recipes and see if I can add them in. Thanks again!

Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers — February 17, 2012 at 6:17 pm

Great recipes! I’m trying to come up with something creative for Mardi gras, but I don’t know what?

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — February 17th, 2012 at 9:53 pm

Well hopefully something on here got your attention…otherwise just make dessert! lol

J @ ... semplicemente j ... — February 17, 2012 at 7:08 pm

No Mardi Gras celebration in our household! But what can I say … Sweet Corn Salsa with Mango, Lime, Red Pepper … yum … and … Caribbean Citrus Roasted Sweet Potatoes … delicious …

I wish we were having San Diego weather … much rain in our horizon … have a great weekend …

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — February 17th, 2012 at 9:53 pm

Glad you like those recipes…I plan to make your version of the pepper jelly, soon! If I do and get around to taking pics, is it okay if I reprint the recipe for readers and credit your general URL? If not…just LMK and get me a direct to where it is on your bloggie and I’ll link it up that way! xoxo

• J @ ... semplicemente ... j replied: — February 17th, 2012 at 10:13 pm

You know me and recipes. I never write them down. You may direct to general URL. Thank you! :)

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — February 17th, 2012 at 10:14 pm

I was searching your site like a mad woman after you left me the original comment, couldn’t find the recipe, so figured it was one of those “in your head” or on a scrap of paper and not online type recipes. Thanks for LMK :) I will direct to your general URL if I blog about it…thanks my friend!

mary @ what's cookin with mary — February 17, 2012 at 7:42 pm

I love that your drink recipes are both shots. ;0) My kind of lady.

Happy Friday!!

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — February 17th, 2012 at 9:51 pm

Long time no talk my friend…thanks for saying hi!

I picked those b/c I don’t have too many alcoholic drink recipes in my archives and I figured they were Mardi Gras-ish

Joss — February 18, 2012 at 5:09 am

wow…so much goodness in this post – I don’t know where to start! :D

Nicole — February 18, 2012 at 6:29 am

During my semester abroad in Spain a big group traveled south to Cadiz for Carnival. (Essentially Mardi Gras) We took a 10 hour bus ride, stayed up all night, did not have hotel rooms, slept maybe 1 hour on a beach park bench, “showered” in cafe bathrooms, stayed for the Sunday parade, took an overnight bus back to Madrid (about 10 hours) and went straight to Monday AM class. Those were the days!

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — February 18, 2012 at 8:35 am

I wish we celebrated Mardi Gras here … I love the idea of it.

Tamara — February 18, 2012 at 10:01 am

did you make these all in one day? if so, I need to find out where you live ;)
    they all look so good~ after the detox, I’m making them all!!!
    T

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — February 18th, 2012 at 10:47 am

No, this is a compilation spanning 3 years worth of time…just recipes I had in my archives :)

Amber K — February 18, 2012 at 11:10 am

I have never celebrated it. In fact, I have to admit that I actually have no clue what it’s even celebrating! My husband and I are going to be babysitting our nieces and nephews that night, so I don’t think we’ll be doing anything. But maybe we’ll have to have our own little party!