Smooth

I got my hair done a couple days ago and I have been wanting to buy this Oribe Smooth Style Serum for a few months and finally bit the bullet. It smells like heaven on earth and I love the way it makes my hair super soft and smooth without being greasy or adding too much shine.

My other favorite hair product that does an awesome and similar job is this one. It’s fabulous for detangling the worst knots (in mommy or kiddie hair) and leaves hair soft and smooth, detangled, and with no greasy or filmy buildup.

With food, normally I don’t gravitate toward smooth foods because I love texture. Crunchy, chewy, crumbly, layers, contrasts. Texture is where it’s at for me.

I can even hang with near jar breaker status snacks like these little peas, and I loved every tooth-chipping second.

However, I’m willing to make an exception for these smooth foods…

“Spicy Doritos” Cheezy Dip (Vegan, GF, Soy-Free)

“Cheater’s” Guacamole (Vegan, GF, Soy-Free)

Chocolate Mousse (5 Minutes, 4 Ingredients, Raw, Vegan, GF)

Caramel Pumpkin Whip Dip (GF)

Chocolate Coconut Cashew Butter (Vegan, GF, Soy-Free)

Creamy Cookie Butter White Chocolate Banana Smoothie

Vanilla Avocado Banana “Ice Cream” (Vegan, GF). Don’t knock it til you try it.

Do you like smooth foods?

Although I do love texture, sometimes smooth is preferable.

Without a doubt, I prefer smooth peanut butter to crunchy.

Any hair products that you love for smoothing your hair? Or products you love in general?

If I don’t put something in my hair, it’s straight in some places but wavy in others, frizzy and fly-aways in other places, so I need something to smooth it and make it uniform so I have one hairstyle rather than three going on.

3 winners of the Marshmallow Madness Cookbook Giveaway announced tomorrow

Have a great weekend!  Any plans?

66 Responses to “Smooth”

Heather (Where's the Beach) — February 24, 2012 at 9:23 am

My salon carries Oribe but I’ve not tried it. I like the Kevin Murphy line of products (just not the price).

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — February 24th, 2012 at 9:28 am

Ive never even heard of Kevin Murphy. I’ll keep an eye out for it now that you recommend it!

Rachel — February 24, 2012 at 9:23 am

I like crunchy PB and I like my guacamole to have chunks of avocado in….

I use this for smoothing out my wavy hair – no idea if you get Tresemme in the States though

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — February 24th, 2012 at 9:28 am

We have it but I haven’t paid attention to that line in years..I will see if I can find that one. Thanks!

Guac, okay, I should say on that one…mostly smooth. Some chunks are good, too :)

The Mrs @ Success Along the Weigh — February 24, 2012 at 9:30 am

Anything by Fekkai for my hair is a winner. I love how soft the glossing cream makes my hair!

Smooth, textured, I’ll try it all baby!

Jess @ Keeping It Real Food — February 24, 2012 at 9:40 am

I love the Frizz Ease line. I have thick wavy hair, and the smoothing serum and mousse take it from unapologetic bed-head to brunch-appropriate. Still getting the hang of work-appropriate, though. Maybe one of these days…

When it comes to food, I like to mix textures. A mono-textured meal is just way too weird to me. I actually crave specific textures almost as much as flavors!

Judy — February 24, 2012 at 10:07 am

my mama just ordered the Carol’s Daughter chocolat smooth kit for me through HSN, and the conditioner smells like cocoa…..actually, it sounds perfect for you lol. it’s supposed to help you get 70% smoother hair, and I will admit that just straight out of the shower my hair feels a lot silkier!

Paula — February 24, 2012 at 10:18 am

I just bought some Paul Mitchell (wild ginger). I was afraid I’d just smell like a big gingersnap cookie but luckily it has a fresh (rather than freshly baked) scent! I like a variety of textures food-wise. Depends on my mood and cravings but usually I have a little mix of textures in a meal or dish. Tomorrow is sourdough bread day and I may as well use that instant pectin for a little jam. Will let you know how it all turns out.

Marina — February 24, 2012 at 10:52 am

I love smooth foods, but after I had to eat only smooth food for a week, I want something crunchy, like those peas: they look so yumm!

Erica — February 24, 2012 at 10:57 am

A really good product is totally worth the $$! For smooth hair, I use frizz ease smoothing cream!

Me — February 24, 2012 at 11:00 am

Is your hair thick or thin? I am mid grow out stage of thin, blonde hair and its just acting weird. I think I might need to try one of these! I worry about it making my hair greasy though.

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — February 24th, 2012 at 11:15 am

Average..used to be super thick as a kid but now, I’d say avg. These do NOT make your hair greasy at all. My hair gets weighed down easily and these don’t do that!

Catalina @ Cake with Love — February 24, 2012 at 11:12 am

I love smooth foods, that pumpkin caramel dip that you posted sounds delicious. I actually eat at least one meal a day of “smooth” foods, it may be a smoothie for breakfast or a big pile of guacamole and refried beans for lunch!! I just made yesterday a chocolate cake with a very smooth chocolate frosting and chocolate dipped strawberries on top, I loved snacking on the chocolate dipped strawberries while baking!

Amber K — February 24, 2012 at 11:12 am

I wear my hair up mostly because I hate having to deal with it. I do use Frizz-Ease though which does help some.

My favorite food texture is chewy. Anything to prolong the amazing flavors and eating experience. Although the best smooth and creamy thing is ice cream and yogurt. Yum!

Tracy — February 24, 2012 at 11:16 am

I have been using the Its A Ten products for over a year now and I love it!

I love all textures in my foods, but smooth is my go to for desserts.

Rachel @ The Avid Appetite — February 24, 2012 at 11:37 am

I really love Bumble & Bumble’s Does it All hairspray. It holds everything in place (including my thick, crazy hair) without looking hard or crunchy…just natural! Happy weekend!!

Ashley @ My Food 'N' Fitness Diaries — February 24, 2012 at 11:38 am

i’m a huge fan of “it’s a 10″ miracle leave-in product too! it smells so good, and it makes my hair soft and shiny.

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — February 24th, 2012 at 10:50 pm

I love the stuff…for the price, some of the best stuff around I think for doing what it’s supposed to do!

Laura @ LauraLivesLife — February 24, 2012 at 11:43 am

I swear by the Moroccan Oil serum – I don’t put any product in my hair because I only wash it once a week, and it’s perfect whether I want to leave it curly-esque or straighten it!

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — February 24th, 2012 at 10:50 pm

You’re the 3rd person in this post alone who’s raved about the Mor Oil so I need to get it now I think!

jasper naomi — February 24, 2012 at 11:52 am

does your little Skylar get such fine fashion taste from you, too? :)

Anna @ The Guiltless Life — February 24, 2012 at 11:55 am

I’ve heard many good things about the Oribe system – I must check it out as my hair is starting to look a little fried to say the least…

Btw I always think whenever you post that guacamole photo that it is just one of your best shots! I have no reason technically, just that it literally makes me want to eat it more than any other picture – I just feel the need to reach out and grab that chip haha. And I do love guacamole but it’s not like I’m a guac addict or anything, lol!

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — February 24th, 2012 at 10:49 pm

Ok that just made my day about the guac pic. I’ve come full circle with that pic. I liked it, I hated it (too bright/overexposed/too lime green…but that’s REALLY how it looked)…and now I’m back to liking it, or at least able to live with it :)

Kelly @ Foodie Fiasco — February 24, 2012 at 12:46 pm

I think I’m going to need “How to do Your Hair” lessons from you. I am so bad with hair, I really just don’t know what to do with it. Thank you so much the product info! Heaven knows I need it. ;)

Kelli@kellird.com — February 24, 2012 at 12:54 pm

I started using WEN from QVC a few months ago and love it!!! I also like Moroccan oil too!

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — February 24th, 2012 at 10:48 pm

Mor Oil…everyone tells me I need to try it. And WEN, ok that’s a new one for me…ill look into it, too. :)

Carrie — February 24, 2012 at 1:06 pm

Love when your posts include pictures from your old and new recipes, because it’s amazing to see how much your food-photography has developed!

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — February 24th, 2012 at 10:48 pm

Trust me, I cringe at my old photos and remember sometimes thinking they were actually good. Or acceptable. And now, I look back at things I shot 6 mos ago, and cringe still. So the 2-3+ year old stuff is awful but the recipes still work :)

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — February 24, 2012 at 1:31 pm

I don’t use any product for my hair besides shampoo and conditioner. Boring, I know! I just comb or brush it and go … no drying either. It is easy, but always the same. I am not good at doing hair.

Tamizn — February 24, 2012 at 1:33 pm

I love smooth foods and would quite happily eat everything in this post! x x

Bria @ West of Persia — February 24, 2012 at 1:41 pm

I’m hitting up a Coffee and Tea show this weekend. Totally excited about that. Oh, and my latest batch of ‘booch should be ready. I know you can appreciate that ;-)

I def get into the “smooth food mood” sometimes.

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — February 24th, 2012 at 10:46 pm

coffee & tea show AND booch…all in one weekend, now that’s a weekend for ya. enjoy! xo

Anna @ On Anna's Plate — February 24, 2012 at 1:44 pm

I’m a texture person when it comes to food too…although all of those smooth foods look pretty dang tasty!

katie @ KatieDid — February 24, 2012 at 3:06 pm

I love all different textures going on with food- I need it for satisfaction. That’s why I rarely if ever make smoothies!

Jenny@vegetarianhatesvegetables — February 24, 2012 at 3:17 pm

Yes, you gotta have a little crunch! Although the tooth chippers do concern me a bit. Especially Nature Valley bars- so not tasty enough to lose a tooth over. That Doritos dip- oh, my!

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — February 24th, 2012 at 10:45 pm

Try the dip if you’re ever wanting to use up a red pepper.

And I am so with you on 99% of commercially-made granola bars…NOT worth my chew!

jojo — February 24, 2012 at 3:56 pm

Would love to try the avocado chocolate mouse…
    I’ve heard about it, and it looks amazing!!

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — February 24th, 2012 at 10:45 pm

I bring it to parties and NO ONE ever suspects it’s made with a secret ingredient :) They think it’s full fat, full on, full decadence that I slaved over. I make it in the Vita and it takes 5 mins :)

vanillasugarblog — February 24, 2012 at 4:23 pm

LOL do i like smooth foods? hmmm. I can tell you I do not like smooth ice cream. See, here’s my theory (and I know you’ll like this) if I’m going to eat ice cream, you know all those calories, there should be chunks of heaven in there. Candy, nuts, nut butters, coconut, etc… You feel me girl?
    xoxo!
    have a sunny, fabulous weekend.
    send me some sun loveee

biscuit wheels — February 24, 2012 at 4:26 pm

I love the Lanza Healing Strength Serum and it smells fab.

Luv What You do — February 24, 2012 at 4:31 pm

Morrocan Oil changed my life!!!
    You must try it!

Kris | iheartwellness.com — February 24, 2012 at 4:59 pm

Oooo I want to try some new hair care products, but right now I’m loving Aveda Smooth Infusion…so nice!!

xxoo

CookingScraps — February 24, 2012 at 5:56 pm

I’ll take chunky peanut butter over smooth peanut butter anyway, unless it’s a plain PB&J on white bread with grape jelly- then it needs to be smooth, to recreate the memories I have of sandwiches like these at camp. Oh, and it needs to be squished, like it was at camp when I was a kid!

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — February 24th, 2012 at 10:42 pm

Smooth PB & Strawberry Jelly on Wonder bread are what childhood lunch pail memories are all about for me :)

Deirdre — February 24, 2012 at 6:26 pm

I clicked the link for Creamy Cookie Butter White Chocolate Banana Smoothie- which brought me to the cookie butter (which I can’t get :( then I scrolled down to the fabulous photos in aruba and big, big :) Beautiful!!
    Hmm…a product I am loving at the moment- Paul Mitchell baby don’t cry, smells good, great shampoo and can be used as bubble bath!

Hannah — February 24, 2012 at 7:34 pm

That Doritos Dip sounds incredible!!

Christine (The Raw Project) — February 25, 2012 at 9:05 am

The dips sound wonderful, I still need to try the coconut cashew dip. Since I went back to naturally curly, I’ve been using a lit of cheap hair products from Target after reading Mama Pea’s post on curly hair since they don’t have a lot of the ingredients that weight down or dry out curls. So far so good, my hair has been much smoother and rocking better curls. :-)

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — February 25th, 2012 at 9:24 am

Glad you’re rocking the natural wavy hair and it’s working for you. Now if you could find some fave running shoes, you’ll be all set. That sucks about your faves being discontinued. That happened to me before I started wearing Nike Vomero’s. They discontinued another old fave and that’s how I ended up with Vomeros and have been wearing them for about 3-4 years now and happy, but it was a lucky break they fit my feet well. LMK what you end up with!

katie — February 27, 2012 at 7:18 pm

Averie, I finally got around to making the chocolate mousse. I thought about it every time I had a super ripe avocado, just never happened to make it. WHAT was I waiting for? Absolutely amazing! I could kiss you!

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — February 27th, 2012 at 8:37 pm

Ooooh so happy you made it and that it was a hit! See, I tell people it tastes nothing like an avocado…enough cocoa powder and agave/maple will do that :)