Stovetop Hot Pepper Jelly

After I posted my Hot Pepper Jelly and adventures-in-canning post a couple weeks ago, I made and canned another batch of hot pepper jelly. I love the stuff but canning isn’t one of those spur-of-the-moment little events. It does take some planning and there’s lots of boiling liquid.

When longtime reader and blogger, J of SemplicementeJ, wrote to tell me she makes Venezuelan Red Pepper Jelly but doesn’t bother with canning, I got very excited.

I asked her permission to share her recipe because it’s not on her site. She combines 1 red pepper, 1/2 cup of vinegar, and 1 cup of sugar on the stovetop and lets it simmer until it’s reduced by half.

Jelly, without canning? I was sold and tried the stovetop method and I’m so glad I did.

The resulting jelly was delicious. Sweet with some heat, and very thick. I was initially worried it wouldn’t get thick enough without using pectin or by processing it and actually canning it. However, I underestimated the power of simmering and time. The reduction in overall liquid volume thickened the jelly tremendously. It got almost too thick and next time I will not boil it quite as long, which is simply a fabulous excuse to try my hand at making more.

[print_this]

Stovetop Hot Pepper Jelly (Vegan, Gluten-Free, Soy-Free, Nut-Free)

Makes about 1 1/2 cups jelly, depending on cooking time and how much volume you choose to reduce

1 red pepper, diced

1 green pepper, diced

2 small jalepeno peppers, diced

1 cup apple cider vinegar

2 cups sugar

Combine all ingredients in a large saucepan and cook mixture over medium-low heat until the mixture has reduced by half. (This took about 25 minutes for me, but in the future, I will stop cooking after about 20 minutes, since the jelly is quite thick. It’s hard to tell when it’s boiling and bubbling how thick it will be after it has been jarred and has cooled). Carefully pour the mixture into a glass jar or suitable container with a lid. I store my jelly in the refrigerator and surmise it will last for many weeks; use common sense.

Notes: J’s recipe Venezuelan Red Pepper Jelly calls for 1 red pepper, 1/2 cup vinegar, 1 cup sugar. Cut peppers as desired (julienne, small cubes, diced). Cook until reduced by half. Since I doubled the quantity of peppers, I doubled the vinegar and sugar amounts. I also used red, green, and jalepeno and her recipe calls just for red peppers.

[/print_this]

This is a fast recipe that came together in under a half hour and it’s also small batch recipe, and made just this one jar of jelly, which I’ve been savoring. The peppers are really chewy, the sugar-vinegar mixture reduced and became an almost honey-like substance, complete with a tartness from the vinegar and a kick from the peppers.

In many ways, the principle at play with this jelly is similar to the Cranberry & Orange Ginger Mango Chutney. If you boil fruit and sugar long enough on the stovetop, and it will reduce and you’ll make jelly or chutney.

I’m excited to play around with the pepper jelly recipe and test out different varieties of peppers and maybe include some fruit like mango, pineapple, or oranges. There are so many ways to go with it and I love that I don’t actually have to can, not that I’m trying to discourage you from canning.

Check out this post; canning isn’t as hard as you think.

But no lies, the stovetop method is easier and yielded a very similar-tasting result with less time and much less effort involved, which is a win-win.

It’s been very spicy and peppery and hot around here. Where’s the water?

Have you ever made jam, jelly, preserves or something similar?

If you’re intimidated by canning, you could try “freezer jam” which is made by simply cooking the fruit or berries with sugar, adding pectin, placing into freezer-safe containers or baggies, and un-thaw as needed.  It’s easy and will make quick use of strawberries, blueberries, or other seasonal fruit. It’s a good “gateway” jam-making process if you don’t want to try full-out canning.

And the method I used for the stovetop hot pepper jelly was incredibly easy, and no pectin required, similar to the Cranberry & Orange Ginger Mango Chutney method.

What’s your favorite kind of jam or jelly?

I love strawberry jam that’s really thick and chunky with big pieces and bits of fruit. I also love the smoothness of a good grape or apple jelly. The flavor of peach jam or jelly, or a mango chutney, they’re all favorites of mine. When it comes to jam, jelly, preserves, I’m not picky other than to say that homemade is always better than storebought.

Thanks for the Marshmallow Madness Cookbook Giveaway entries

110 Responses to “Stovetop Hot Pepper Jelly”

Kelli H (Made in Sonoma) — February 23, 2012 at 4:15 pm

I love hot pepper jelly! Especially over some cream cheese w/ crackers. Such a delicious snack!

katie @ KatieDid — February 23, 2012 at 4:16 pm

wow that’s incredibly simple! Would this method work for sweet jams too do you think or does the vinegar lends a more savory flavor to it? I’ve never had a pepper jelly before but I’m curious about it!

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — February 23rd, 2012 at 10:04 pm

Read the link that I gave in the post with the cranberry mango orange chutney. That reduced beautifully, became jam-like, no pectin needed, no vinegar, and try that overall method with other fruit…I bet you’ll be a-okay.

Angela / Canned Time — February 23, 2012 at 4:26 pm

I love blackberry jam with thick hearty toast. I canned some last year and will try to convert it into a pie filling this weekend to use it up. Wish me luck. Your pepper jelly is something I need to try myself since the only thing we eat more of than sweet is super spicy. Your first batch was a little prettier but hey if it saves time, I’m all for today’s stove top version. Thanks!

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — February 23rd, 2012 at 10:03 pm

this one would have been as “pretty” had I not reduced the liquid down soooo much. Then you could have seen the red/green flecks but there was little volume left, so it appears more muddled/crowded in the jar and the light can’t bounce as easily but the taste was sure good :)

Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar — February 23, 2012 at 4:32 pm

Mmm this sounds lovely! Awesome idea!

Kris — February 23, 2012 at 4:36 pm

yes, this is exactly how I make jelly too!! I have never canned, ever. ugh, too much work ;) I just make small batches and keep it refrigerated.

this sounds good!

Marina — February 23, 2012 at 4:44 pm

Averie, you are a Jelly Quin with all those recipes you’ve tried! I like this recipe better than previous. My personal favorite is cherry (with whole cherries in it) and an apricot, long 3 days process, but tastes great!

J3nn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) — February 23, 2012 at 5:24 pm

That’s so pretty! Reminds me of Christmas. :) I bet it would taste amazing on a cheese + veggie sandwich. Yummy.

Heather (Where's the Beach) — February 23, 2012 at 5:24 pm

Oh cool. Love how fast and easy it is. When I think of jam or jelly I do typically think sweet – like strawberry, which is my fave.

Paula — February 23, 2012 at 5:29 pm

I like apricot and strawberry jam or preserves, but I’ve only made canned jelly in the traditional way once (your recipe). I have a packet of instant pectin so no cooking is required and the jam sets up in 30 min. I haven’t tried it yet but it looks super easy and I believe the jam can also then be frozen. I should get on that and try it out!

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — February 23rd, 2012 at 10:01 pm

Report back with what you end up doing…and canning…well, it’s not impossible but this was sure easier :)

Sally — February 23, 2012 at 5:47 pm

Never in my life have I seen Hot Pepper Jelly made this way in the South. All of that should not be visible in the jelly in my recipes. But you are not from the South so if there are other recipes, would love to see.

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — February 23rd, 2012 at 10:00 pm

Well the recipe is from the woman, J, who I linked to in the post…it’s from her Venezeulan heritage and that’s how she emailed me the recipe…so it was new to me, also. It’s so EASY…try it this way some time.

Maryea @ Happy Healthy Mama — February 23, 2012 at 5:48 pm

I’ve never tried hot pepper jelly but now I’m super curious! It sure is pretty. :-)

Kelly @ Vegolosophy — February 23, 2012 at 5:53 pm

That looks amazing and would be perfect for a dinner party! I really like pumpkin jam, but I think thats because I am a pumpkin addict lol :)

Anna @ On Anna's Plate — February 23, 2012 at 6:41 pm

Love the pics!! I’m with you– nothing beats a delicious strawberry jam!

Michele Sparrow — February 23, 2012 at 6:48 pm

When my boys were little guys, every year we would drive up to my friend’s apple orchard and pick as many apples as we could gather. Then, together we would peel them and core them and slice them up and I would make homemade apple butter – like 50 jars of it! Then, we would cut out cloth circles with fun scissors that made different cut shapes and put them on top and pass out for Christmas gifts. Such fun memories and the apple butter was to die for!

I love jam. LOVE it. My favorite jam is either concord grape or a really sweet strawberry jam that also has chunks of fruit in it. I have fond memories of eating that on crispy sourdough toast with lots of butter, extra jam and hot coffee with cream when I was in college. That was my favorite thing to eat for a mid-afternoon snack. YUM!

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table — February 23, 2012 at 7:28 pm

As a spicy food addict, this sounds sooooo good! I made a fig-rosemary jam this winter using a stove top method and was pleasantly surprised at how quick it was. I’ll have to try this next. I bet it would be heavenly on some jalapeno biscuits.

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — February 23rd, 2012 at 9:58 pm

Yes, the stovetop method went FAST..I was surprised, too. Jalepeno biscuits? Yes please!

Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers — February 23, 2012 at 7:55 pm

Great recipe! I love pepper jelly and now that Trader’s doesn’t carry I will have to make my own and your recipe sounds perfect!! Can’t wait to try it!

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — February 23rd, 2012 at 9:57 pm

this is so EASY, too. You and I both love our TJs pepper jelly but necessity is the mother of invention.

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — February 23, 2012 at 8:11 pm

I have never made jam or jelly (that I can remember), but hot pepper jelly is definitely my favourite. I am not a fan of fruit jams/jellies.

Katie — February 23, 2012 at 8:18 pm

Now this is my kind of jam – sweet, veggies, and EASY. Pretty much everything I eat involves those three things.

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — February 23rd, 2012 at 9:57 pm

The entire time I was making it, I was thinking of you and that it’s perfect for you.

Jenny@vegetarianhatesvegetables — February 23, 2012 at 9:12 pm

Now this is more up my alley! Gotta admit, I was a little intimidated by the canning. I’m excited about this!

Destini — February 23, 2012 at 9:59 pm

I once canned when I was younger with my grandma, All I recall is that it took too long and I got bored. I was not very good at helping out in the kitchen I suppose. What is amusing, is that I use this feeling towards canning now as an adult…not really sure the mindset of a 9-10 year old is very comparable to an adult. I have secretly put it on my ‘to do list’ recently in the desire to not waste produce. Plus opening something up that you made is so much better then the can from the grocery store.

My favorite kind of jam is blueberry. Wild blueberry! With PJ or almond butter YUMMMMMM

Ellen — February 23, 2012 at 10:02 pm

I am a huge fan if blackberry jam and cherry preserves.
    This is neither here nor there but I finally tried the cafe bustela and it is GREAT!

Kiran @ KiranTarun.com — February 23, 2012 at 10:22 pm

I could slather that delicious hot pepper jelly on everything!!! YUM :D

Kathryn — February 24, 2012 at 2:09 am

What a quick and simple way to get something really delicious. I love this idea!

Catalina @ Cake with Love — February 24, 2012 at 5:18 am

I use to buy the red pepper jelly from a local market all the time, your looks really good, I love that its hot :)

Alison @ Ingredients, Inc. — February 24, 2012 at 6:54 am

great, great idea!!

Bev Weidner — February 24, 2012 at 9:01 am

OMG. my tongue is so excited!

Cortney — February 24, 2012 at 9:31 am

I loved your original canning recipe but with a five month old, I just do not have the time or the mental sanity to can right now. But this recipe solves my problem. Guess we will be making a trip in the stroller this afternoon to pick up the ingredients :-) Thanks so much!

Amber K — February 24, 2012 at 11:09 am

Wow, the stovetop method seems so much easier. Still time consuming, but some things are just worth it!

mjskit — February 24, 2012 at 7:25 pm

Oh I love this pepper jelly recipe! Sweet and hot in the same jar just can’t be beat. Your pictures are beautiful but with such a great looking jar of jelly, I’m sure that made them easy. I’ve been making single jar stovetop jams and jellies for quite a while now. Spent years doing the canning, pectin thing making 20 plus jars in a day. If you are interested, you should visit my blog and check out the Quick and Easy Strawberry Jam. A pint of jam in less than 30 minutes and no pectin! Enjoyed your post!

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — February 24th, 2012 at 10:39 pm

Glad to hear you’re a stovetop fan, too. Seriously so easy and I’d rather make smaller amounts and refrigerate than worry about canning, in general, I think. Thanks for the compliments on my pics, post, and the link to yours!

J @ ... semplicemente j ... — February 24, 2012 at 8:45 pm

Averie! I am here at the Mexico City airport I finally have some time to catch up … I went straight to you my go to blog :) and I say you did the Jelly … looks fantastic and delicious … I am so glad you liked the recipe … hope to be back to some regular blogging and reading … but still have much of my business travel ahead!

All my best … semplicemente … J

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — February 24th, 2012 at 10:37 pm

Thanks so much for the recipe help and I LOVED the jelly and my jar is gone and tomorrow I need to hit the grocery store and set aside some time to make more. It’s wonderful, easy, and will replace the canning method for me, for sure.

And I hope you had fun in Mexico City! I was there last summer! And I have a recipe partially inspired by it hitting my blog this week…it’s been Latin/Mexican vibe here on my blog lately :)

Safte travels home!
      xo

Maris (In Good Taste) — February 24, 2012 at 9:04 pm

Must find the recipe for that shrimp dish! You are so creative and the jelly looks great!

Katherine Martinelli — February 25, 2012 at 12:35 am

Mmm I love a good hot pepper jelly and I especially love how easy this recipe is. Thanks for linking up to my pepper blog hop! Pinned :-)

Deborah — February 25, 2012 at 8:46 am

This sounds awesome!!

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — February 25th, 2012 at 9:22 am

Thanks for all your comments this morning…and for pinning so many things of mine. YOU are a doll! And your pinboards are like a walking drool-fest. Every.single.thing on every single board…looks…amazing. You have done a wonderful job with truly finding some gems on Pinterest! And I’m going to try harder to repay the favor with pinning your things because they deserve love and attention :)

vanillasugarblog — February 25, 2012 at 8:50 am

oh my gosh girl!
    can it be any easier?
    i love this stuff. and yep, i use it on stir fry too.
    just like you.
    do you like corn relish?

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — February 25th, 2012 at 9:20 am

Corn relish…gosh, I don’t think I’ve ever had it?! It sounds wonderful… My grandma used to make something with corn in it that was sort of like a dip but it’s just a vague memory…I think I could really get into what you’re talking about. If you have any recipes you love, send ‘em over! :) Or better yet, we need to live closer so we can cook and bake and recipe trial together!

Christine (The Raw Project) — February 25, 2012 at 9:19 am

This hot pepper jelly sounds amazing, awesome job. I love the idea of hot jelly with a slight sweetness, so this sounds perfect. I’ve never canned, but want to.

Sarah — February 25, 2012 at 9:59 am

This looks amazing! Is it really hot though? I tried to make pickled jal once and my heat loving husband couldn’t even eat them!

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — February 25th, 2012 at 10:14 am

You can control the heat level by using as many jalepeno or hot/hotter peppers as you desire. I don’t consider red peppers or green peppers “hot” which is why I added jalepeno but you don’t have to…

Richa@HobbyandMore — February 25, 2012 at 10:40 am

i love this jelly and no canning! i am in!:) i can imagine this over some fresh whole grain bread every morning with some sweet tea!

K&B N. — March 3, 2012 at 10:06 pm

We’ve seen hot pepper jelly all over Pikes Place Market in Seattle and have always wondered how they make it !

ratedkb.blogspot.com

Christine — March 5, 2012 at 11:28 am

Averie, hello and love your site…so many great recipes. Ok, when I saw this, I was so excited that I went out right then and there to get the peppers. I doubled your recipe to make a total of 3 cups worth. Now, it took about an hour to start to thicken and slightly start to reduce, as well as the peppers to start to soften. It took a total of 1.25 hours to look like yours did and then I poured it in the little cute jars and let it cool over night in my fairly cool pantry. The next day it was as hard as a rock and I had to microwave it to get any out of the jar. Then, it was sooooooo sticky, gooey and stringy that it was nearly impossible to remove it from anything it came into contact with. The taste was awesome but very annoying to try to smear on anything. Do you have any suggestions or comments as to what I may have done wrong…I want to make this again and have it more like a thick jam/jelly that is not sticky and easy to spread and eat.

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — March 5th, 2012 at 1:46 pm

1.25 hours was about 3x as long as you probably should have boiled it…I would say to wayyyyy reduce your cooking time. Like maybe a half hour, total. It’s really going to depend on the size of your pepper dices, what you consider a medium boil and what I consider a medium boil, the moisture content in the peppers, how much stirring you do or don’t do…all these little nuances are going to effect it but yes, my jar was borderline what you describe (thick, honey-like, and hard-ish to work with…) and I felt I was over-time at about 25 minutes so definitely you pretty much cooked the daylife outta yours and took all the water out and made it turn into…glue :) So just stop cooking much sooner than you did and realize that it will also harden & thicken upon cooling, too. This is all part art, part science. Keep me posted on the next batch!

• Christine replied: — March 6th, 2012 at 1:11 am

Averie,
        Thank you for all of the suggestions…I’m going to make a very small batch this weekend and follow the exact times and see what happens. Even though it won’t be reduced by half at the 20 minute mark, I will take it off then and see if it thickens to the correct consistency after it cools.
        Thanks again and keep up the great work with all of the awesome and healthy recipes.

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — March 6th, 2012 at 1:17 am

I mean, you could probably go 25 or 30 mins, but it’s dependent on batch size, pepper’s water content, how vigorous or not the mixture is really boiling and reducing…20-30 mins is a guideline but just watch it and use your judgment…but definitely not 90 mins!! :)

Jenny — May 6, 2012 at 9:33 pm

Hi Averie! Just wanted to make sure- you cook it uncovered, correct? Thanks.,

LILLIAN — June 1, 2012 at 6:21 am

I just LOVE hot pepper jelly and always wanted to try it, but I know nothing about canning! Thanks for showing us this method…I will definitely be trying it….and I’ll probably blog about it also! =)

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — June 1st, 2012 at 1:44 pm

Please keep me posted! I worked really hard to make the process as user-friendly as possible and would love to know if you end up trying it, how things go for you!

• LILLIAN replied: — June 1st, 2012 at 2:20 pm

Yes, I will definitely let you know…and I will link my blog to this recipe!

Lillian — July 11, 2012 at 6:23 am

I tried this recipe and LOVED it!!! You rock!!! I even blogged about it…http://myrecipejourney-lillian.blogspot.com/2012/07/stovetop-hot-pepper-jelly.html

Thanks for posting this recipe!!!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — July 11th, 2012 at 9:37 am

I am so excited it was a hit – thank you so much for trying it out and blogging about it, too!

• Lillian replied: — July 11th, 2012 at 10:23 am

You’re very welcome! Keep posting these cool recipes! =)

Lana — August 13, 2012 at 12:32 pm

I made this jelly today but I’m unsure if I should put the lid on as soon as I put the hot jelly in the jar or not. The recipe doesn’t mention this. What would be the best practice here?

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — August 13th, 2012 at 12:41 pm

You can or you can wait – either way. If you put the lid on, the jar may “seal” and you’ll hear it pop if you put the lid on and then don’t disturb it. Thanks for trying the recipe.

Lana — August 14, 2012 at 7:40 am

Unfortunately after letting it sit over night in the fridge it hasn’t set like a typical jelly – still a bit runny. I did cook it on medium heat for 30 minutes. I was worried about cooking it too long after reading the posts. Maybe I can use it anyway in other dishes……any ideas?

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — August 14th, 2012 at 9:27 am

You didn’t cook it long enough. Your choices are to either re-cook it OR eat it as is – runny jelly is still fine! Use it as a marinade for something or use it as a component of a sauce. See my tofu recipes or my sauces/dips for ideas.

Lisa — August 29, 2012 at 12:07 pm

Unfortunately, mine turned to candy! I guess there’s a need to reduce the heat from med lo to lo? The liquid had only reduced by 25%, and then the candying started.

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — August 30th, 2012 at 12:59 am

Yes you need to keep an eye on it based on how fast the boil is, how much liquid there was to begin with, what medium heat on your stove vs. my medium heat, how thick is thick for your batch vs. mine – lots of variables but just play around with the duration, heat levels, etc. and you’ll get there. Sounds like your mixture was drier to begin with than mine and/or your heat hotter than mine. You’ll get there!

Margaret — September 9, 2012 at 3:29 pm

Went to the Whistler Farmer’s Market today (which is amazing!!!) and bought a bag of peppers for $5. I mean a big bag – they say stuff as many in the bag as you can and then fill the bag with mini peppers! Needless to say I have a lot of peppers. Googled easy red pepper recipes and yours came up. My first batch was a bit if a disaster as I cooked it to candy -(well past the 20 min u recommend). Learned my lesson, have read the posted comments and am now on my second batch. Will take it off after 20 minutes even it if seems runny. Runny is better than candy anyway! Thanks for the recipe!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — September 9th, 2012 at 3:40 pm

Margaret yes it’s a bit of an art and because the exact amount of peppers, the size people dice them, the moisture content in said peppers, the speed at which I call a rolling boil a rolling boil and yours, stirring, etc there’s going to be some gray area. I say take it off sooner rather than later. Wait a half hour or so and look at it. And if you think you need to bring it back up to a boil, you can, for another few minutes. It does thicken up with time, yes. It won’t go from runny like thin mustard to thick like peanut butter or anything, but it does thicken. It’s a bi art and with trial & error you’ll find that middle ground :)

• Margaret replied: — September 9th, 2012 at 6:47 pm

2nd batch was successful – I did have to put it back on the stove and cook it a bit but it turned out great! I’m wondering if I could cut the sugar a bit (seems so much!) Would this affect the “jellying” process?

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — September 9th, 2012 at 6:52 pm

Glad there was success! I think cutting back on the sugar by a tiny bit *may* be okay…but it will effect taste AND setting up properties. So unless you have really good reason, I personally wouldn’t. It’s not like you’re eating this stuff by the 1-cup amount at a sitting :)

CC — October 8, 2012 at 2:20 pm

I am going to try the stovetop pepper jelly. Really liked your article and pictures.

sean — December 18, 2012 at 6:12 pm

Just used your recipe as a base for a habanero cranberry jelly. Cooked it forever (I used about 20 lbs of habs, filled up a huge stock pot) Still quite runny, but it is really good (and very hot!). Going to be giving them out, and spreading it on cream cheese and crackers through the holidays.

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — December 18th, 2012 at 7:24 pm

TWENTY pounds!!! Holy Moly! No wonder it took forever to cook/simmer down but batch-cooking in quantity in the end saves time! And what lucky friends/fam you have to be receive it! Thanks for LMK you made it!

Angela — September 16, 2013 at 8:31 pm

Thank you for the inspiration! I started out this evening to make roasted pineapple hot pepper jelly, only to discover too far into the process that my pectin was out of date. Ahhh! So upon reading your post, decided to just do the stove top method. It is a good sized batch (pineapple, orange & red pepper, 3 jalapeños) along with 1 + 1/4 cup vinegar and 3 cups of sugar. I also added 1 tsp paprika and 1 tsp ginger, trying to get some depth of flavour happening. Smells spicy and tastes yummy! I’m going to consider this jam. Am excited to add it to a stir fry or use as a dipping sauce. Thanks again! Angela

Eve Mahony — January 1, 2014 at 3:18 pm

Can’t wait to use the no pectin hot pepper jelly recipe. Have one that is flavored with cranberries and apricots, but wanted one that is rather clear with bits of pepper. Will try this one. Many thanks for offering it.