Thursday Things

Here’s my roundup of Thursday Things for the week:

1. It’s a very special day today.  See #10 below after you’ve read 1 through 9, of course.

2.  Keepsy is a fun site for all you Instagramming-obsessed people.  It turns your Instgram pics into a calendar or hardcover book, or r you can use pictures from Facebook or Flickr.

3. National Food Holiday list.  You know you’re a food blogger or read too many food blogs when you actually look forward to National Peanut Butter Day or National Pineapple Upside Down Cake Day (April 20) and you create, cook, plan, and post certain recipes on certain days.

Peanut Butter and Jelly Thumbprints (No-Bake, Vegan, GF) were timed with National Peanut Butter Day.  Geek central, right?

4. Have a question about anything photography related?

Jenn Cuisine put together an amazing resource page with more links, info, and help than you can shake a DSLR at.

I also linked this up in my own Photography Section where I discuss everything from my camera bodies, to lenses, camera bags and gear reviews, editing programs, and food styling tips.

5. When I made the Sweet Potato Graham Cracker “French Toast” Sticks, I mentioned that sometimes the strangest looking food tastes the best.

Here’s 10 strange looking foods, straight from nature to your table.

Hopefully the Buddha’s Hands won’t scare the children.  Or the husbands.

6. I upgraded my computer operating system with OS X Lion.  My timing is impeccable because the $29.99 upgrade is free if you bought your computer after July 21, 2011.

I bought my computer on July 20, 2011 so I’m 30 smackers lighter.  Oh well.

As for Lion, I have no idea about the “benefits” or why it will make my life better, but hey, I’m up to date now.  Just in time for Octopus or Zebra or whatever the next operating system they’ll announce will be to come out and render Lion old news.

7. I upgraded to Lion because I wanted to try the PicFrame app so I could “write” on my photos.  So after buying Lion because it was necessary in order to install PicFrame, I realized that you can’t “write” on images anyway.  Or, if you can, I haven’t figured it out.

PicFrame was only a buck and is a cool app and I’m sure I’ll use it to fritter time away on photography projects make photography collages.

8.  After buying things for my computer that I may or may not need, I went to the mall I bought something I did “need”.  More Victoria’s Secret Bombshell.

They have a new limited edition Bombshell, Bombshell In Love, but I was on the fence about the limited edition version and stuck with the tried and true.

9.  These are tried and true, also.

Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Balls (No-Bake, Vegan, GF)

10. I gave birth 5 years ago today.  I can’t believe she’s five years old.

I could talk about parenthood, motherhood, how amazing she is, how much I love her more than I ever knew was possible, how I can’t believe how fast time has gone the past five years, how my life before her doesn’t even feel like it was real and that it wasn’t complete and that it’s a foggy memory; and that in just over a decade she’ll be getting ready to go out in the world on her own, which I shudder to think about her leaving the nest.  I’ve been crying Hallmark tears on and off all day today, thinking about this special day.  My baby is 5.

She’s my world, my everything; that I love her so very much, I don’t know where to begin so I’ll simply say, Happy Birthday Skylar.  I love you.

On the beach in Aruba a few weeks ago.  Four going on 14, but she’s 5 now!

What are your Thursday Things?

Anything new, exciting, noteworthy, or fun that you’ve eaten or seen this week?

66 Responses to “Thursday Things”

Sally — February 2, 2012 at 5:24 pm

happy birthday skylar! ps: those peanut butter and jelly thumbprints look amazingggg!

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — February 2nd, 2012 at 8:49 pm

you who likes the chickpeas..oh make the thumbprints. They are so easy (nobake) and good! I think you’ll love the flavor.

Erica — February 2, 2012 at 5:28 pm

She is SO darn cute! Happy birthday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks for the national food day link- book marked ;)

Annie @ Naturally Sweet Recipes — February 2, 2012 at 5:29 pm

This is the cutest post! Happy birthday Skylar!

Heather (Where's the Beach) — February 2, 2012 at 5:30 pm

Oh – happy birthday to that cutie pie!!!!

Jenny — February 2, 2012 at 5:31 pm

Awww… this choked me up! Happy Birthday, gorgeous girl!

Marina — February 2, 2012 at 5:36 pm

Oh, how sweet 5 is! Happy birthday, beautiful girl!

Paula — February 2, 2012 at 5:46 pm

Happy Birthday to Skylar! She is really quite a natural in front of the camera (and if I recall from earlier posts, so are you!). So she gets it honestly. Thursdays are one of my favorite days–it’s my last day to work and I have my weekly guitar lesson so I always learn something new. Best thing I ate today was your apple pie smoothie and the coconut butter-tahini fudge I just made.

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — February 2nd, 2012 at 8:48 pm

Aww, you make me blush from both parts of your comment..the camera part and that the smoothie was the best thing you ate.

Angela / Canned Time — February 2, 2012 at 5:56 pm

She’s really a beautiful girl. Hopefully she’ll grow up to be just like Mom!

AmandaRunsNY — February 2, 2012 at 6:05 pm

That picture of Skylar in Aruba is soooo great. Happy birthday to her and you!

Kris — February 2, 2012 at 6:12 pm

♫♪♥♥[̲̅̅H̲̅][̲̅̅A̲̅][̲̅̅P̲̅][̲̅̅P̲̅][̲̅̅Y̲̅]-[̲̅̅B̲̅][̲̅̅I̲̅][̲̅̅R̲̅][̲̅̅T̲̅][̲̅̅H̲̅][̲̅̅D̲̅][̲̅̅A̲̅][̲̅̅Y̲̅]♥♥♫♪ Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ•*¨`*•♥ •*¨`*• SKYLAR !! :) :)

and happy ‘Birth-Day’ to you too, Mama!

Anna @ On Anna's Plate — February 2, 2012 at 6:20 pm

Happy birthday to your girl!!! Can’t believe how quickly time passes!

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — February 2nd, 2012 at 8:46 pm

once you actually have yours, you will be amazed…your life before her will seem surreal. I can’t wait for you guys to hold your own pumpkin!

ash — February 2, 2012 at 6:22 pm

awwww so sweet Happy Birthday Skylar!!!

Kelli@kellird.com — February 2, 2012 at 6:46 pm

Happy Birthday to your baby and congrats to you. I always get excited for myself on my kids birthdays because it is an anniversary of how long I’ve loved them-such a fun day! Love all your computer tips. I am asking for an apple for my birthday!!! Can’t wait!

kathleen @ the daily crumb — February 2, 2012 at 6:55 pm

happy birthday, skylar! how lucky she is to have such a wonderful mama :)

Katie — February 2, 2012 at 7:29 pm

Whoa….FIVE years old?!?! I saw you comment somewhere about her birthday (HEAB, maybe?) and I can’t believe it is today!! Happy Birthday to Skylar!!!

I love your Thursday Things posts; I always find something cool and new. That photo app sounds cool – you’ll have to update if you like it or not. Same with the new OS. I’m not into spending the cash on it yet. I usually wait a few months for them to release the updates that inevitably follow the first installment. I have whatever animal was before that one…

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — February 2nd, 2012 at 8:44 pm

Well for a buck, cheap thrills baby.

For the new Lion, I mean I guess it’s fine? Better? It’s not worse. So how’s that for progress :)

Pure2raw twins — February 2, 2012 at 7:34 pm

never heard of picframe?? we just write on our photos in photoshop

and happy birthday to Skylar! I cannot believe how big she is getting.

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — February 2nd, 2012 at 8:43 pm

yeah I can’t figure out Photoshop…the layers, all those icons..gah! Lightroom is all I can handle. lol

Luv What You Do — February 2, 2012 at 7:41 pm

Birthday Wishes from Chicago! 5 is such a fun and exciting year!

Did you make any special birthday treats?

Michelle @ More Than A Mouthful — February 2, 2012 at 8:29 pm

Happy birthday to Skylar! She is so adorable. I absolutely love what you said about how she has changed your life so much–things like that make me look forward to being a mom someday :)

Ellen — February 2, 2012 at 8:34 pm

Happy birthday Skylar! And congrats to you, motherhood is no small feat;)
    As for note-able food and drinks, I have to vote for the sautéed mushrooms in some sort of amazing sauce I had last week at Bar Celona for food, and the chocolate shake Black Russian drinks I made this week for the drink category:)

Julie — February 2, 2012 at 9:13 pm

Happy birthday to your gorgeous daughter! Such a pretty name too. We have oranges that just turned out looking like Buddha’s hands! It’s crazy. And I’m sure my Mac is so out of date, but it’s still usable.

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — February 2, 2012 at 9:22 pm

Thursday things:

– Very excited for 2 fun events this weekend
    – Happy to have finished more thesis work this evening
    – Found a new delicious coconut product after work today – I love coconut!

Kathryn — February 3, 2012 at 1:56 am

Happy happy birthday Skylar!

Brigitte — February 3, 2012 at 3:33 am

Happy birthday to your beautiful little girl ! It’s a shame we’re not neighbors or my little girls could play with yours (she turned 5 3 weeks ago) and you could make all those yummy things you’re always coming up with and I would eat them all ;) Mmmm , maybe better that we don’t live next to each other…
    Anyways, have a wonderful day !

Katie — February 3, 2012 at 3:55 am

Hope Skylar had a wonderful birthday! Happy Birthday to her! Big 5! Time goes fast!

I have to go to vic secret to smell that perfume, I bet it is awesome ; )

Happy Friday! <3

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — February 3rd, 2012 at 9:08 am

I think you’d love it and if you have any faves, LMK! I trust your recommendations!

Jenn — February 3, 2012 at 4:21 am

Thanks so much for the link! Glad the photo tutorial page is useful!

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — February 3rd, 2012 at 9:08 am

Glad you saw the link and your page is soooo helpful. What a resource you compiled. It’s one-stop photography help shopping!

Holly @ The Runny Egg — February 3, 2012 at 4:46 am

I’m a day late, but I wanted to say Happy Birthday to Skylar!!! What a little beauty.

mi-an — February 3, 2012 at 5:04 am

she’s 5 already?? didn’t she just turn 4?? lol time sure does fly!! i’m getting old!! happy bday little pretty girl!!

Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit — February 3, 2012 at 5:41 am

Happy Birthday, Skylar :) I absolutely adore the picture of her with the glasses. Oh you’re in trouble! Have a good weekend, Averie!

Alexandra Bohannon — February 3, 2012 at 6:09 am

Your daughter is so beautiful! I bet you are such a proud mother. :)

As for Lion, I really need to upgrade myself. It’s been on my “to-do” list ever since it came out. My problem is that some of my software I have on my computer is not compatible. For legal reasons, I shouldn’t say why, but if that’s any indicator…

And basically, with any upgrade in OS, you are going to get a higher yield on how fast your computer runs and better storage space. When I upgraded my mac from Leopard to Snow Leopard, for instance, like 16 gbs were freed up in just the program files that the computer needed to run. Currently, my computer is almost sitting at max capacity (54.11 gb free out of 250! Yikes!!) so the reduction in gbs would be helpful for me. But, I also bought my Mac in 2009, so sadly, your awesome news does not apply to me. I should just suck it up and do it though.

Someday soon I’m going to have my computer science boys that I run around with install a new hard-drive in my baby, but I’m terrified of voiding the warranty. I really need insurance for this thing. I would HIGHLY recommend, since Macs are so steal-able and temperamental in regards to liquids, purchasing insurance for your computer!

Welp, this comment was longer than intended. Happy Friday. :)

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — February 3rd, 2012 at 9:06 am

thanks for the detailed info and if 30 bucks helps me get better performance, it was a very well spent $30!

Victoria @ The Pursuit of Hippieness — February 3, 2012 at 7:00 am

HAPPY BIRTHDAY SKYLAR! She’s GORGEOUS.

When my computer crashed a couple months ago, the apple store told me they would give me lion for free when they rebooted everything since I was already paying for a new hard drive. Well, they did not. So I ended up buying the upgrade myself, because honestly, as devoted as I am to apple and my mac I KNOW they design their products to not function as well without the latest upgrades and updates. I was so freaked out about my hard drive already that I just went ahead and took the plunge. It’s definitely worth it if it means avoiding any hard drive aggravation, and one thing I will say for Lion is that it makes backing up easier than ever.

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — February 3rd, 2012 at 9:06 am

thanks for the detailed info…I knew there was a reason I wanted to do this “I KNOW they design their products to not function as well without the latest upgrades and updates.” – If that right there helps me, then it was 30 bucks well spent!

Bev Weidner — February 3, 2012 at 7:18 am

Happy Birthday, Skylar!!

Emily (Edible Psychology) — February 3, 2012 at 7:42 am

Happy Birthday Skylar! I hope you guys have a wonderful weekend celebrating!

~Emily~

Rachel @ The Avid Appetite — February 3, 2012 at 7:59 am

Aww Happy Birthday to Skylar! She is adorable. I can’t imagine how fast time flies with a little one!

Katie — February 3, 2012 at 8:26 am

Happy Birthday, Skylar – you are such a doll!

Mya — February 3, 2012 at 8:43 am

Happy Birthday to Skylar!! Five! Amazing!

My nephews (5.5yrs & 1.5yrs) and niece (5mos) are growing up so fast, too, I know what you mean! They might not be mine, but I love them just the same! I make their birthday cakes every year and it’s crazy to see them and the number on the cake grow so quickly!

I hope you both have a fantastic day celebrating your nearly 6 years together. :)

Amber K — February 3, 2012 at 11:46 am

Happy (belated) Birthday to Skylar! Wow kids grow so quickly!

The food holidays are hilarious – I wonder how many people actually know about most of them!

Michaela — February 3, 2012 at 1:59 pm

Happy belated Birthday to Skylar!
    Such sweet words you wrote about her. I think nothing can beat the relationship between a mom and her daughter. Even though I have arguments with my own mum, I feel so close to her, no matter what.

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — February 3rd, 2012 at 9:59 pm

I hope she still loves me when she’s a teenager :)

• Michaela replied: — February 4th, 2012 at 1:25 pm

I know for sure she will! She might not show it to you, but trust me, after getting through the teenager stage, she will show you her affection for you! In my circle of friends, EVERYONE is calling his/her mom at least once a day.

Kat — February 8, 2012 at 3:20 pm

Happy birthday to your little one! Time sure does fly..,