25 Saint Patrick’s Day, Irish, and Green Food Recipes

Just in time for Saint Patrick’s Day, here are 25 Saint Patrick’s Day, Irish, or Green Food-based Recipes. Not everything is “Irish” in the traditional sense, and although you won’t see Irish soda bread, there’s plenty of potatoes and green food.

Mint and Chocolate Fudge Oreo Bars

Potatoes and Potato-Based Recipes

Lemon & Dill Roasted Potato Sticks

Ginger Coconut Oil Roasted Vegetable, Potatoes, and Fennel

Roasted Sweet Potato Fries

Caribbean Citrus Roasted Sweet Potatoes

Ginger Roasted Tri-Color Potatoes

Coconut & Olive Oil Roasted “French Fries”

Cinnamon Sugar & Ginger Roasted Potato Sticks

Cheezy Vegetable Bake (Vegan, GF)

Salsa & Cheezy Baked Beans & Vegetables (Vegan, GF)

Savory Pumpkin Potato and Carrot Soup

Hearty Vegan Southwestern Sweet & Spicy Soup

Sweet Potato Graham Cracker “French Toast” Sticks’

More Potato-Based Recipes Here

Green Food (it’s not all Irish-themed food but there’s plenty of Green in the featured dishes)

Spinach & Artichoke Dip (Fat Free, Vegan)

“Cheater’s” Guacamole

Green Juice

Spinach and Red Pepper Frittata

Spicy Baked Eggs and Hash Brown Casserole

Cheezy Kale Chips (Raw or Oven-Bake, Vegan, GF)

Raw Pasta Salad with Creamy Lemon & Herb Dressing

Raw Broccoli Salad with Vegan Slaw Dressing

Cucumber Wraps (Raw, Vegan, GF)

Apple Glazed Vegetable & Edamame Stir Fry

Caribbean Citrus and Vegetable Stir Fry

Szechuan Shrimp Stir Fry with Fried Rice

Fig Butter & Cumin Tempeh Stir Fry

Mint Chocolate Coconut Snowballs (No-Bake, Vegan, GF)

Chocolate Coconut Kale Chips (Raw or Oven-Bake, Vegan, GF) – Don’t knock these until you try them because they are delicious.

Triple Layer Fudgy Mint Oreo Brownies

Are you celebrating Saint Patrick’s Day in any way?

We have no plans.

When we lived in Chicago, talk about a week long party. They dye the Chicago River green every year, the bars and nightlife is beyond crazy, and it’s one big party. For a week.

Saint Paddy’s Day is what I like to think of as Chicago’s version of Mardi Gras and because of the huge Irish population that lives there, and there’s more than one or two green beers being served.

Do you have a favorite Irish food, favorite way to eat potatoes, or a favorite green food?

Sugar snap peas, broccoli, asparagus, Brussels sprouts are staples in my world.

Chocolate kale chips are a nice way to eat greens and chocolate together. Everything is better with chocolate.

Jello shots and green brownies are fun once year. Not that I would know.

Thanks for the Soyfoods Giveaway entries

Happy Saint Patrick’s Day!

46 Responses to “25 Saint Patrick’s Day, Irish, and Green Food Recipes”

Stacy @ Say It With Sprinkles — March 16, 2012 at 12:48 am

Oddly enough, sweet potatoes are the ONLY type of potato I actually enjoy! I like them best made in to baked sweet potato fries =)

Brianne @ Cupcakes & Kale Chips — March 16, 2012 at 1:21 am

I love sweet potatoes, and as far as green foods, I am with you on asparagus and broccoli. I have been trying to resist getting a Shamrock Shake from McDonald’s, but I may have to make one, because I have seen way too many blog posts about different variations on the theme this week.

Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance — March 16, 2012 at 2:23 am

First off, I want to say that the new header looks beautiful, Averie! I’m loving the new improvements that you’re making.

And secondly… mmmm potatoes :D

Blog is the New Black — March 16, 2012 at 4:15 am

I’ll take one of each!

Nicole — March 16, 2012 at 4:55 am

Ditto to Chicago…I had my share of St. Patrick’s Day partying in Chicago. One year I hosted a northside green bagels and beer breakfast before we boarded a bus for the southside parade. Glad those days are behind me!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — March 16th, 2012 at 6:32 am

I didn’t know you lived there. Yes, crazy scene around St Paddy’s Day time!

Bee Goes Bananas — March 16, 2012 at 5:23 am

These look delicious! I can’t wait to make up some green or Irish foods tomorrow for St. Patty’s Day! You’ve given me some great ideas…now I just have to narrow it down to a few!

Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit — March 16, 2012 at 5:32 am

You have SO many recipes. I can see why you were overwhelmed at the whole recipage thing. I think it would take you at least 4 months to enter everything haha. Have a great weekend!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — March 16th, 2012 at 6:34 am

Yeah I have not counted but I would say 400 maybe? When I was merging my blog from Blogger to WP, 18 months ago, it was overwhelming then….there is no way today I could do it! Which is why I am amazed when I see pretty big bloggers convert into the system. I am always shocked and amazed how they pulled it off!

Heather (Where's the Beach) — March 16, 2012 at 5:46 am

No plans for St. Patty’s day. My sis is coming to visit, but we’re not doing anything special to celebrate the holiday. I don’t know that I’ve ever really had any Irish cuisine to be honest.

j3nn — March 16, 2012 at 6:17 am

I must get potatoes today! I wanted one so badly last night and my entire bin was bad. I obviously don’t cook them fast enough. Sigh.

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — March 16th, 2012 at 6:35 am

I don’t buy them unless I know I’m going to use them. Even though it looks differently from this post, I really don’t make potatoes that often! I’ll buy some, then get 2-3 recipes out of them, and then 6 mos can go by before I buy them again!

Emilie @ Emilie's Enjoyables — March 16, 2012 at 6:57 am

So many great recipes! It’s amazing how your pictures have changed over time-you take such amazing pictures now!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — March 16th, 2012 at 9:26 pm

I almost didn’t post some of them but hey, we all started somewhere!

Erica — March 16, 2012 at 7:41 am

We aren’t going out to celebrate either. But, I love some of the St. Patty’s day foods – especially anything involving potatoes :). Might just have to cook up something special

Rachel @ The Avid Appetite — March 16, 2012 at 7:44 am

We aren’t Irish, nor do we really celebrate! But we always enjoy Irish eats :) Last night we had corned beef and cabbage and I have Irish soda bread on my list of things to bake this weekend! Happy Friday Averie!!

Katie — March 16, 2012 at 7:53 am

I’m not Irish and I don’t really celebrate the “holiday”. In college I did the green beer thing, but I haven’t in ages. I’m going to a dinner at a friends’ house and bring salad…that’s green. Count it. ;)

Sally @ sallys baking addiction — March 16, 2012 at 8:38 am

LOVE it when you compile posts Averie! i have GOT to make those sweet potato graham cracker sticks. ps guess what?? i’m in your time zone! my bf and i are in Vegas for the weekend. i’ve never been here! it’s crazy!

Jenny@vegetarianhatesvegetables — March 16, 2012 at 9:21 am

Wow, chocolate kale chips! Now I’ve really seen it all! Thanks for these healthy, yummy ideas.

Erin @ Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts — March 16, 2012 at 10:11 am

Holy cow, now that is a lineup! I need to get my butt in gear I got nottin’ for tomorrow!

Amber K — March 16, 2012 at 11:18 am

I have never really celebrated it before, but since it falls on a Saturday night I’m tempted to actually go out and do something. Watch my husband drink a green beer or something. I absolutely love potatoes, pretty much any which way. Throw something green on top like spinach and I’m good to go!

claire @ the realistic nutritionist — March 16, 2012 at 11:48 am

This is the best roundup EVER. That last recipe? I drooled. YUM!

Paula — March 16, 2012 at 2:11 pm

No plans for St. Patrick’s Day, but I will be eating green food in the form of a gigantic salad of some kind! I tried the tempeh–good stuff with a nice chew to it! I couldn’t find any fig butter but I have a vitamix so I improvised with dried figs and wound up with a thick sauce. You really come up with some great flavor combinations!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — March 16th, 2012 at 9:25 pm

That’s great you liked the tempeh and you could marinate it/sauce it up with anything…I just happened to have fig butter. Even a blend of ketchup, mustard, agave, salt, pepper, and EVOO reduced for 2 mins with the tempeh could be like tempeh sloppy joes or w/ bbq sauce…so many ways to go with it!

Christine (The Raw Project) — March 16, 2012 at 4:06 pm

Great recipe round up, thanks! We’re having a family gathering for St. Patty’s Day, but I still haven’t decided what I’m bringing.

Liz (Little Bitty Bakes) — March 16, 2012 at 5:05 pm

I’ll have the guac and brownies, please. ;) Great roundup!!

My sister lived in Chicago for a year and I still remember the picture she sent us of the river dyed green – so awesome! Green bagels are my tradition for St. Patty’s — I despise beer :)

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — March 16th, 2012 at 9:24 pm

I despise beer, too. I’d rather be sober than drink beer if that’s my two choices. Okay that sounds horrible, but ykwim. I HATE it!

sophia — March 16, 2012 at 7:04 pm

I’ve never celebrated St. Patrick’s Day before, but I might guzzle a couple beers with friends. But I would love every single dish in your fabulous round-up, Averie. :-)

Ellen — March 16, 2012 at 7:32 pm

I’ve always avoided going out for this holiday in fear of drunk drivers. I’ll be forced to be out of the house since I’m acting in a short shooting tomorrow-no time for celebratory cooking. Maybe I’ll have some Bailey’s at the end of the day to celebrate, though. Can’t go wrong with Bailey’s on the rocks:)

Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers — March 16, 2012 at 8:18 pm

I never seen the cucumber wraps, those look wonderful! I love all of the potato recipes. I’m made at myself, I keep forgetting to pick up a box of graham crackers. Wonderful post. I’m bookmarking this one so I can make some of your recipes.

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — March 16th, 2012 at 9:22 pm

I have sooo many graham crackers, wish I could donate some to you!

Luv What You do — March 16, 2012 at 8:54 pm

A crowd pleasing green food…Edamame Hummus

The perfect St Patty’s Day cookie…Chocolate Mint Thins

And the sweetest of them all…Thin Mint Fudge…Yummy!

Gotta Love St Patty’s Day. Thanks for all of the fabulous recipes!!!

Michele Sparrow — March 16, 2012 at 9:41 pm

Nothing on the agenda to celebrate St. Patrick’s Day around our house, but I did eat that exact Zucchini with creamy lemon sauce. YUM!! Have a great weekend, Averie!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — March 17th, 2012 at 9:09 pm

Glad you tried it and liked it :)

Happy St. Paddy’s Day to you and the fam!

Ambika — March 16, 2012 at 10:11 pm

Loved those Sweet Potato Graham Cracker French Toast Sticks!!! Yum! Happy St.Patrick’s day!

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — March 17, 2012 at 9:35 am

I will be going out with friends for some Guinness I believe :-)

LiztheChef — March 17, 2012 at 7:20 pm

I moved from Chicago in 1974 and have never, ever tried to celebrate 3/17 since then. Your string of gorgeous photos – and how I celebrate them – is my St. Patrick’s Day. Larry and I spent 9 hours in day 1 of training to be volunteers at San Diego Hospice. Pizza tonight – our 3/17 supper will be pushed to tomorrow #exhaustedemotionally

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — March 17th, 2012 at 9:09 pm

I knew you were from Chicago but had forgotten. See, another thing your hubs and mine could talk about…comparing Chicago stories and playing Jewish (Chicago) Geography. I bet they know some of the same people….lol

You guys are Saints for your hospice volunteer work. Bless your hearts!!