Blueberries & Popovers

Today is National Blueberry Popover day. I almost bought a popover pan about a month ago. I had it in my hand, but decided not to purchase it because it’s a big clunker of a pan. Long, with metal wires and very deep cups, so stacking it with other pans would be next to impossible.

In addition to being awkwardly shaped, I wondered just how I’d really use it and wondered if it would be a one-hit-wonder one-hit-popover pan. Basically make my one batch of popovers and then never make them again, so I took a pass on this biggie-sized pan that would overwhelm my already stuffed cabinets and non-existent kitchen storage.

My dad used to make popovers when I was growing up and it’s been ages since I’ve had one and blueberry popovers sound fabulous. I just love blueberries.

No popovers here, but I do have frozen blueberries on hand at almost all times.

Never know when I may want Microwave Blueberry Banana Oat Cakes (Vegan, GF)

Or Blueberry Streusel Muffins (Vegan, GF)

They will have to suffice for my blueberry cravings for now.

Do you like popovers?

I haven’t had them in years but their puffiness, their warmth and lightness when they come out of the oven with some butter and jam, the way they make the house smell when they’re baking, good stuff.

Do you like blueberries?

I love them and spring means blueberry season and locally grown blueberries at the farmers market.

Thanks for the $50 Visa Gift Card and Peanut Butter Giveaway entries

Have a great weekend!

54 Responses to “Blueberries & Popovers”

Tamizn — March 10, 2012 at 10:27 am

Yum it all looks so good! Love the new blog style x x

Gina @ Running to the Kitchen — March 10, 2012 at 10:29 am

What a random “holiday”…not just popover day, but blueberry popover day, ha! I tried making pumpkin popovers for thanksgiving 3 years ago in a muffin tin. Epic failure.

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — March 10th, 2012 at 11:53 am

I thought that too…talk about a HIGHLY specific food holiday.

Your popover story is why I haven’t raced to buy the pan :)

brandi taylor — March 10, 2012 at 10:47 am

Oh my gosh I looove that you have my favorite food item featured here ( and it was in the last post!!) :-) those microwave blueberry banana oat cakes are crazy good and everyone should know it :-) :-)

Erica — March 10, 2012 at 11:26 am

I just LOVE the new look! Fabulous. Your blog is super cute. I actually got a popover pan for Christmas, but I haven’t used it yet.

kris [everydayoats] — March 10, 2012 at 11:43 am

Love popovers and bluberries [can’t believe i used to hate that blue fruit! ;) ] anddd, Loving your new design and blog name!!

kathleen @ the daily crumb — March 10, 2012 at 12:20 pm

i love popovers AND blueberries, but hate how the blues stain everything!!

what i also love is this new blog layout… and especially the fun font!

j3nn — March 10, 2012 at 12:37 pm

I’ve only had one popover in my lifetime and it was just ok. Never knew they came in other flavors! The Chebe rolls I make taste like a popover, only better! Love, love, love blueberries. Dustin and I have been enjoying frozen blueberry smoothies this week. He even adds them to the shopping cart now; now to work on strawberries…

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — March 10th, 2012 at 1:09 pm

Ok now I wanna try your chebe rolls! I cant believe Dustin likes blueberries but not strawberries?!

Margot Core — March 10, 2012 at 12:41 pm

You see I am just enough of a kitchen gadget freak that I would not have been able to put that pop-over pan down. I don’t have one though and now I feel that I must.

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — March 10th, 2012 at 1:10 pm

Trust me, if I wasn’t working with a SMALL urban kitchen, I’d be all over that pan. But the pan is bigger than my biggest cabinet in terms of length!

• Margot Core replied: — March 10th, 2012 at 1:13 pm

I actually have odd (one hit) kitchen gadgets in a box on a shelf in my clothes closet. Yes, I have more kitchen gadgets than handbags and shoes combined, ha!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — March 10th, 2012 at 1:28 pm

I have appliance boxes that I don’t throw out, i.e.kitchenaid, vitamix, juicer, that are HUGE boxes stashed in my hallway coat closet and I have photography props stashed in a cubby hole under our stairway. Seriously…I have to get creative as it sounds like you are :)

Nicole — March 10, 2012 at 12:55 pm

Since you were from MN, I have to share.
    Right now are temps are at 54 degrees. Yay!!!
    They are talking 60 on Friday – SWEET! ;-)

Cassie — March 10, 2012 at 1:05 pm

I love fresh blueberries in desserts. It’s almost time for fresh berries too, so excited!

Ilana — March 10, 2012 at 1:18 pm

I made popovers successfully in muffin tins…just pick your deepest one and go. I remember having incredible ones at Cafe Des Artiste when I was younger, with this incredible strawberry jam. Definitely one of my most memorable eating experiences, I’m re-experiencing it really viscerally right now haha.

I can’t wait for blueberries to come back here, but I was at the farmers market today and was thrilled to find it’s OVERWINTERED BABY KALE season…I totally geeked out at one of the stands today.

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — March 10th, 2012 at 1:27 pm

baby kale is soooo good…so delicate, beautiful, tasty, love it.

And I thought about using my muffin tin but I worried that the depth/surface area/volume wasn’t “correct” and the reason I thought popovers ‘pop’, in large part, was the way the dough is in the pan and the shape when heated so you get that puff and spill over…but I should just try it in a muffin tin.

j3nn — March 10, 2012 at 1:23 pm

Weird. Your comment isn’t here when I came to reply but I got the email with it.

Anyway… yes! Try the Chebe rolls. SO GOOD! Scott + Skylar will love them. Dustin likes them, too, and you know how fussy he is. He doesn’t even like bread! Meanwhile, he’s eating a Snickers bar at his desk as I type this… hahaha

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — March 10th, 2012 at 1:25 pm

It’s there for me! Strange.

3 or 4 above this one b/c this is a new comment “thread” . That gives me a bloggie-heart attack when I read stuff like that!

Snickers bars…oh, I used to plow thru those things like CRAZY in jr high and h.s. Sports practice for 3 hours after a day of school, I could take down 2 Snickers bars and go eat down the house for dinner. lol

Ashley @ My Food 'N' Fitness Diaries — March 10, 2012 at 1:30 pm

i loooove blueberries!! my favorite “desserts” made with blueberries are muffins or cobbler!

Brooke — March 10, 2012 at 1:54 pm

I have a ton of fresh blueberries in my fridge and now I know what to do with them! I’ve been MIA for a while with the new little baby, but I love the new blog title :)

Brooke

qt — March 10, 2012 at 2:19 pm

Looks so good!

Claire @ Live and Love to Eat — March 10, 2012 at 2:29 pm

Mmm I’m blueberry inspired now. Great new look! :)

Paula — March 10, 2012 at 4:31 pm

I haven’t had a popover since my teenage years. I just looked at the recipe in Joy of Cooking which says you can use a muffin tin or small ovenproof custard cups but to grease and flour them so the batter has something to climb as it rises. It also says to make sure the popovers are crusy and well browned to keep them from deflating. Hmmm–I think they sound like fun!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — March 10th, 2012 at 8:11 pm

I wrote to another friend/reader who wrote in to say that about muffin tins but I’ve always worried that the surface area/depth of the tin won’t give the puff ‘n pop that the popover pans do. If you try making any in a muffin pan, LMK!

Colleen — March 10, 2012 at 4:52 pm

Love the new style of your blog. The one and only time I’ve had popovers was in Acadia, Maine at the famous Jordan Pond House. Their popovers are legendary and delicious with blueberry jam and butter :)

Gena — March 10, 2012 at 6:11 pm

You should come to NYC and visit the Popover Cafe on Amsterdam. Though veganism changed my popover consumption there, I do remember them as having had the best popovers in the whole world.

Also, I have been meaning to comment upon the new blog look and title. Well done, Averie! It’s so important to evolve as a blogger, and I love how you (and the language) of your blog have evolved.

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — March 10th, 2012 at 8:07 pm

Thanks for the compliments and for always being a friend, Gena :)

Maris (In Good Taste) — March 10, 2012 at 6:16 pm

I love Popovers! I haven’t had one in ages but they are delicious.

Sara — March 10, 2012 at 6:30 pm

I have never heard of a popover before, but now I’m intrigued. It looks like something that could go seriously messy if it didn’t work out. Still… mess in my kitchen? Wouldn’t be first.

Your new blog layout is great and it feels more authentic to what you have become as a blogger.

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — March 10th, 2012 at 8:07 pm

more authentic to what you have become as a blogger = couldn’t have said it better myself! Thank you!

Carla — March 10, 2012 at 7:46 pm

Can’t say that I’ve ever had a popover. I guess it’s something I should try. Blueberries I’ve grown to like over the years. Maybe one day I’ll even love them. Who knows. All of your blueberry goodies look absolutely fabulous!

jackie @ marin mama cooks — March 10, 2012 at 8:07 pm

Hey girl! Busy week here with Zoe’s birthday and such so I haven’t been able to stop by. I love your new blog title! It’s more fitting now.

As you know, I love popovers and our popover pan has gotten plenty of use. I actually use it at least once a month if not more. My kids love popovers for their school snack or with dinner. They also love the sugar crusted popovers that I make that taste better than donuts. Sooo good.

Did you hear that lightroom 4 is on sale for $149? If you want to upgrade from 3 it’s only $79. I think I may just have to get number 4 since it’s so cheap. I have 2 more days left on my free trial, so I have to make a decision soon.

All right, I am getting weary eyed so I am going to sign off. Zoe played in 2 back to back lacrosse games today and I was the “official” score keeper so my eyes are ready for bed ;)

Have a great weekend!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — March 10th, 2012 at 10:21 pm

I downloaded the free LR4 trial but never played around with it to really figure out what was different or better than it than LR3 so I don’t know..but I’d just get LR4 and that way when they come out with LR5, you’re only one step, not two steps, from the most current version. For 80 bucks or whatever extra it would be, worth it. Keep me posted on what you end up doing, thoughts, etc.!
      xo

• jackie @ marin mama cooks replied: — March 11th, 2012 at 8:32 am

Hey girl! I just purchased it because it was so cheap (well, not really) and your right about being one step closer to lightroom 5. Lightroom is like an apple product, where there are probably going to be new versions every 6 months or so. I don’t even understand all that lightroom has to offer but I will learn over time I assume. Right now, I just use the white balance and tone control buttons. Pretty simple but it is doing the job thus far.

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — March 11th, 2012 at 10:16 am

Clarity, sharpening, blacks, contrast, vibrance.

Have fun :)

• jackie @ marin mama cooks replied: — March 14th, 2012 at 6:40 am

I just went back to this to see your tips. Lightroom 4 is set up a bit differently than 3 so I am getting use to the new settings. I have not used blacks yet so I will give that a try. I think I have gone to far on a few pics with the clarity setting as I previewed them on my post and they are a bit to detailed, like grossly detailed. I will have to go back and tone those puppies down. Glad to see that you don’t use anything else on LR that is to different than what I am using!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — March 14th, 2012 at 7:39 am

It’s easy to go too far but usually if you add blacks, you increase exposure. If you increase one thing, you can increase another. It’s all an art of playing around with it and practicing. A year and a half later, thousands of images later, I am still learning. And depending on where I plan to use the pic, I will edit it differently, i.e. food sites, my blog, prints, etc.

Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers — March 10, 2012 at 8:24 pm

Love Blueberries!! I have only had a cinnamon and sugar popover and it was good!! Are you going to make popovers?

Michele Sparrow — March 10, 2012 at 8:51 pm

Do you know, I don’t think I have ever had a popover! They look so fluffy and yummy though!

Blueberries, I love. We make muffins, pancakes, smoothies, fruit salads…you get the idea! They are a favorite around here. My favorite way to eat blueberries, though, is to freeze them (or buy them already frozen), pour them in a bowl, drizzle coconut milk over them, which freezes to the berries and becomes almost like coconut ice cream and sprinkle cinnamon and a little vanilla stevia. YUM! Soooo good!

Sarah @ The Healthy Diva — March 10, 2012 at 9:09 pm

love blueberries! i pop some in my oatmeal when i can and always have some in the freezer for convenience. I’ve also experimented pairing them with some savoury herbs which has turned out delightful as well. such a yummy superfood

Clare — March 11, 2012 at 1:33 am

I LOVE blueberries – these look absolutely delicious :) I have never even heard of popovers.. very interesting!

Amber K — March 11, 2012 at 11:09 am

I don’t think I have actually ever had a popover. They don’t look that tasty to me, but then I wouldn’t know! Now microwave banana cakes are yummy and muffins are the best!

michelle — March 11, 2012 at 9:25 pm

I’ve been making my son popovers for years. You don’t need the popover pan- I use little baking dishes I got at Ikea- they actually work better.
    My dad used to make them when I was little- he’d sometimes put little pieces of bacon in them for variety.

Joy — March 12, 2012 at 12:41 am

I am TOTALLY not a cook but can’t an unlined muffin pan make a popover? That’s probably sacrilege but this is coming from she who made challah for the first time this week — in the bread machine :-/

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — March 13, 2012 at 7:39 pm

I don’t think I have ever had a popover, but I definitely love blueberries! I miss my mom’s blueberry muffins.