Caramelized Bananas

There is something so decadent and delicious about bananas that have been cooked with a little butter, sugar, and cream.

Probably because anything that is cooked with a little butter, sugar, and cream goes from ho-hum to oh-yeah-gimme-some.

There are all kinds of ways to caramelize bananas. One way is in Bananas Foster (vegan, GF).

Yesterday I simply seared the bananas for one minute in a non-stick skillet, added butter, cinnamon, sugar, cream, and stirred for a couple minutes until a caramel sauce began to form and the bananas caramelized a bit.

These bananas got my weekend started off properly.

[print_this]

Caramelized Bananas (Gluten Free with Vegan option)

1 banana, sliced into rounds about 1/4 inch thick

2 tablespoons brown sugar

1 tablespoon butter (or margarine)

1/2 teaspoon cinnamon

1/4 cup cream (or half-and-half, milk, nut milk)

1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

Spray a non-stick skillet with cooking spray, add the bananas, and cook them for about 1 minute over medium high heat, allowing them to sear.

And the remaining ingredients except for vanilla, and cook over medium heat, stirring gently and continuously, for about 3 minutes, or until sauce begins to thicken, reduce, brown, and caramelize. Turn off the heat, add the vanilla extract, and stir (the alcohol in the vanilla will cause the sauce to bubble up so use caution when adding it). Serve immediately.

To keep vegan, use margarine and a vegan milk such as almond or cashew milk. Coconut milk (full-fat recommended) will impart much more flavor but can also be used.

[/print_this]

I love anything that gets caramel-ey and gooey and chocolate gooey things trump gooey bananas. Shocking, I know.

Chocolate Saltine Toffee

Caramel and Chocolate Gooey Bars (GF with Vegan adaptation)

Do you like caramelized bananas?

Served over pancakes, waffles, toast, on top of yogurt, cereal, oatmeal, as a side next to eggs and hash browns, as a brunch menu item, or poured over ice cream, warm bananas that have been cooked and caramelized are such a decadent treat.

Although I wouldn’t call them health food, they’re still a fruit, so that’s nice and they’re probably healthier than eating cookies.

What was the best part of your weekend, food or otherwise?

Winner of the $50 Visa Gift Card and Peanut Butter Giveaway announced Monday

54 Responses to “Caramelized Bananas”

Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance — March 11, 2012 at 3:11 am

The best part of my weekend was coming home and being able to spend it in the company of my family. There’s a LOT going on right now in regards to my future plans after graduation in a few months, so it was nice to come home and be in good company through it all!

Averie @ Averie Cooks — March 11, 2012 at 3:30 am

Good luck with everything! It sounds like you have a lot going on!

Tiffany — March 11, 2012 at 3:26 am

This made me sooo hungry!! Pancakes with bananas sounds fantastic!!! I’m so glad I get off work in an hour and can make some for my “dinner”. :) By the way, I spend 90% of my down time at work crusing your blog and making my grocery list. I never really baked/cooked before but your recipes are awesome!! Easy and delicious!!

Averie @ Averie Cooks — March 11, 2012 at 3:30 am

That’s the sweetest thing ever! Thank for making my day, Tiffany :)

Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar — March 11, 2012 at 4:28 am

These sound delightful! I would pretty much put these bananas on everything.

Ali — March 11, 2012 at 4:42 am

Hi Averie! I love your new website and layout, especially the pink header. It’s adorable, and congratulations. Please tell me you’re not going to delete your old recipes, the raw, mostly vegan ones. I make SO many. Oh, and the best part of my weekend is being home with my family.

Paula — March 11, 2012 at 5:25 am

I made some nacho cheesy hemp salad dressing–haven’t had that in a while and it hit the spot! So would those caramelized bananas–reminds me of bananas foster. Otherwise, the best part of my weekend was just being home. Seems like the older I get, the more of a homebody I become. I’m afraid I’ll be a total recluse in another 25 years!!

Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers — March 11, 2012 at 6:44 am

Good morning!!!

Yum! Looks fantastic! I can think of lots of things to put roasted banana’s on!

Renee — March 11, 2012 at 6:55 am

I’m drooling on my keyboard. lol!

katie @ KatieDid — March 11, 2012 at 7:08 am

I’ve done this before but never thought to add the butter, sugar etc. They caramelize well on there own but I bet this just kicks it up. I’ve also baked whole bananas before and that was amazing as well. Best part of my weekend is happening tonight!

Averie @ Averie Cooks — March 11, 2012 at 10:18 am

I do it your way, too, sometimes, but yes, this is a kicked up version :)

Heather (Where's the Beach) — March 11, 2012 at 7:10 am

I’ve never had a bananas foster actually. But I have no doubt I’d love it. How could you not like caramelized bananas??

Averie @ Averie Cooks — March 11, 2012 at 10:17 am

MAKE IT! Lighting rum-soaked bananas and brown sugar and butter/marg on fire is worth it’s weight in gold, too :)

Krista — March 11, 2012 at 7:37 am

Caramelized bananas always looks so tasty but I just can’t get over the consistency of them!

Averie @ Averie Cooks — March 11, 2012 at 10:17 am

Normally I am not one for softer-textured food either, but in this case, I do love them!

Tracy @ Commit to Fit — March 11, 2012 at 8:15 am

I am really liking the blog makeover and am looking forward to see where you go from here. (The caramelized bananas don’t look to shabby either :)

Sally @ sallys baking addiction — March 11, 2012 at 8:26 am

averie, i love the blog redesign. :) carmelized bananas are outrageously delicious. they should be illegal :) best part of my day will be my run later! it’s warm in baltimore today.

Stacy @ Say It With Sprinkles — March 11, 2012 at 8:50 am

Yum, I’ve never made caramelized bananas, but they look amazing! I’ve been on a major banana kick lately so I need to try this recipe!

Averie @ Averie Cooks — March 11, 2012 at 10:15 am

Another quickie way to use up (ripe) bananas which is what I like about it.

Cassie — March 11, 2012 at 10:29 am

I love caramelized bananas but I’ve never added cream…holy decadence. I love it!

Erica — March 11, 2012 at 10:58 am

Holy yum! I want those nanas. Ive had them on top of banana pudding before-so good! Best part of my weekend-dinner with friends friday. Worst-i have a tummy bug :(

Callie — March 11, 2012 at 10:59 am

Somebody looooves your new header!! <3 I'm now going to spend a good hour catching up on your back post ;)

Amber K — March 11, 2012 at 11:10 am

I feel silly saying this since I just said on your last blog that I’ve never tried it, but I’ve never had caramelized bananas either! I have had grilled bananas, just bananas heated on the stove. And they get all sugary, crispy and delicious.

Aylin @ Glow Kitchen — March 11, 2012 at 1:15 pm

bananas foster has always been my favorite dessert — nothing beats caramelized anything!

Saya at Saya's Soulful — March 11, 2012 at 2:38 pm

Love this GOOEY post theme! Gooey, mushy desserts are on the top of my list. The caramelized bananas look divinely delish and would look awsome wrapped in a crepe too! xoxo

Marina — March 11, 2012 at 3:54 pm

Best part of my weekend was a whole two days away from computer or any media, just time with family and food. I needed some time away from all the devices, just to breathe, think, listen to the sounds of spring… Oh, and my trip to an antique show/flea market…

Bria @ West of Persia — March 11, 2012 at 3:54 pm

Yum, gonna try these with some coconut milk creamer I got on sale this weekend. Exciting, btw, to see the continued evolution of your site. I’m happy for you :-)

Katie — March 11, 2012 at 8:01 pm

I’ve had grilled bananas, which get sort of caramelized, but never cooked them on the stovetop. I pinned a recipe for banana ketchup a while ago. This kind of sounds similar. Its a sweet “ketchup”

I wonder if you could make banana jam? I’ve never seen a recipe for it….Googling it now.

Averie @ Averie Cooks — March 11, 2012 at 10:41 pm

Grilled bananas are great but I dont have a grill! And banana ketchup?! OMG that sounds good and intriguing and right up my alley!

Michele Sparrow — March 11, 2012 at 8:17 pm

I do love bananas, but would you believe I have never had caramelized bananas? Those look outstanding. Actually, pancakes are on the menu for the boys breakfast tomorrow morning before school….guess what will be on top? ;-)

The best part of my weekend was going to a movie with my hubby. We haven’t had a night (afternoon) out in a while and it was nice to just be together for a couple hours. Hope your weekend was good, Averie!

Averie @ Averie Cooks — March 11, 2012 at 10:41 pm

You make pancakes BEFORE school?! You’re a saint! :)

Michele Sparrow — March 12, 2012 at 6:41 am

I do make pancakes! :-) Sometimes waffles, biscuits and gravy, eggs and toast: you name it! Two teenage boys need lots of food and it makes me happy to cook for them. Dad gets home from Crossfit and gets his meal as well! Just finished making the pancakes and the caramelized bananas, Averie! They are gonna love it! :-)

Michele Sparrow — March 12, 2012 at 6:42 am

I do make pancakes! :-) Sometimes waffles, biscuits and gravy, eggs and toast: you name it! Two teenage boys need lots of food and it makes me happy to cook for them. Dad gets home from Crossfit just as they are finishing their breakfast and gets his meal as well! Just finished making the pancakes and the caramelized bananas, Averie! They are gonna love it! :-)

Michele Sparrow — March 12, 2012 at 6:44 am

Oh…that was an accident to double post. I am so sorry!!! :-(

Averie @ Averie Cooks — March 12, 2012 at 7:36 am

No biggie and glad they’re all getting caramelized bananas with their breakfast today!

jojo — March 11, 2012 at 10:57 pm

oh my goodness, it’s before bedtime and you are making me crave sweets! ;P
    I love fried bananas.. not something I would have everyday, obviously, but it’s a good treat with some cinnamon.. :)

Purabi naha — March 12, 2012 at 2:09 am

Loved the caramel and chocolate gooey bars, along with all others! You are so talented!http://cosmopolitancurrymania.blogspot.com

Regan @ The Professional Palate — March 12, 2012 at 3:32 am

Love the new header & blog name!!

Christine (The Raw Project) — March 12, 2012 at 11:18 am

These sound amazing, I pretty much like any banana recipe!

This weekend flew by too fast, the best was seeing a movie and eating out I guess. :-)

Deborah — March 12, 2012 at 8:25 pm

The most simple, delicious way to eat bananas!

Let Me Eat Cake — March 12, 2012 at 9:08 pm

caramelized bananas just make everything better!

Alexandra Bohannon — March 13, 2012 at 3:31 pm

I’ve never made caramelized bananas like this before! In the past, it’s just been vanilla, sugar, bananas, butter and some other spices (to taste). How does the taste compare?

Averie @ Averie Cooks — March 13, 2012 at 3:43 pm

Well I don’t know how yours taste so I can’t compare…but I used butter, sugar, vanilla…same as what you describe. They’re fabulous.

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — March 13, 2012 at 7:47 pm

I don’t think I have had caramelized bananas! That is a problem that needs fixing very soon!