Cheese Recipes

Say Cheese!  They were sampling this cheese at Trader Joe’s last week and normally I try to refrain from in-store sampling because one sample leads to four which leads to a cart full of impulse purchases.

Last week I left the store without buying it, but I had been thinking about this cheese ever since.

Yesterday I went back and purchased the cheese and doesn’t that say something about the power of sampling. Samples do apparently work for their intended usage of driving sales, rather than for the (unintended) usage of feeding children and tiding them over so mom can buy herself another 4.37 minutes of concentration and shopping time.

It’s got a really intense flavor because it’s been aged 1000 days, but it’s not “bitey”.  Just mature and well-aged.

Cheese and grapes, cheese and dried fruit, this cheese platter, oh yes, Cheese Please.

Cheese and wine

More cheesy recipes to follow that you can add cheese to, add vegan cheese to (Daiya or similar), or keep “cheezy” with nutritional yeast:

Cheddar Cheese and Olive Oil Savory Muffins

Cheesy Taco Casserole

Spicy Baked Eggs and Hash Brown Casserole (add cheese to it)

Spinach and Red Pepper Frittata (add cheese to it)

“Spicy Doritos” Cheezy Dip (vegan, GF)

Kale Chips (Raw, Vegan, GF)

Spinach & Artichoke Dip (Fat Free, Vegan)

Cheezy Vegetable Bake (vegan, GF)

Salsa & Cheezey Baked Beans & Vegetables

Baked Savory Cream Cheese & Herb Donuts

Mini Grilled Cheese and Tomato Sandwiches

Chips and Cheese Chili Casserole

Ritz Cracker-Stuffed Peanut Butter Cups (No-Bake, Vegan, and a little nutritional yeast for added cheezy-ness_

Roasted Grapes and Balsamic Reduction with Cheese and Crackers (vegetarian)

Avocado, Cream Cheese, and Salsa-Stuffed Puff Pastries (vegetarian)

Do you like cheese? What kind of cheese, or cheeze, do you eat?

Favorite cheese recipes or ways to eat it?

I grew up in the Minnesota where dairy cows and cheese are plentiful. I moved on to plenty of wine sampling and cheese plates as I got older, but for the five years or so that I was strictly vegan, I really didn’t miss cheese. Once I just wrote it off, I didn’t miss it (I could never write off chocolate or coffee, but cheese was easier).

It’s rare that I actually buy a block of cheese and just eat cheese, because, well, one bite leads to the block. Not necessarily something one needs to be doing tons of, so you see, the free samples will get you, every time.

I also am a fan of nutritional yeast. I buy mine here (use code AVE630 to save $5 on your order)

I’ve never really used much Daiya or soy-based cheese. It’s either brie or bust, so to speak.

43 Responses to “Cheese Recipes”

Bev Weidner — March 6, 2012 at 3:51 pm

CHEEEESE. I’m saying it. I’m saying it! Wait, did that work?

Heather (Where's the Beach) — March 6, 2012 at 3:59 pm

Love a good smoked gouda. Also a fan of goat cheese and feta. Love how they can pair with something sweet like apples or grapes and it can really change or enhance the flavors of both.

Paula — March 6, 2012 at 4:27 pm

I love a little blue cheese on roasted sweet potatoes with toasted pecans and feta on tomatoes and cucumber with basil and balsamic vinaigrette.

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — March 6th, 2012 at 4:59 pm

tomatoes and cucumber with basil and balsamic vinaigrette = makes me want summer to be here, now!

lauren@spicedplate — March 6, 2012 at 4:50 pm

I need to try nutritional yeast — I bet it would be amazing on kale! I’m making a goat milk cheese soon — so lemony and delicious!

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — March 6th, 2012 at 4:59 pm

My kale chips I linked are made with nooch. Can’t believe you’ve never tried it…you’ll love it!!! On any kind of veggies..seriously so good!

katie @ KatieDid — March 6, 2012 at 4:54 pm

Brie or bust! I don’t buy cheese much anymore but do occasionally treat myself to a nice manchego or extra sharp cheddar.

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — March 6th, 2012 at 4:59 pm

There’s a beach in Aruba called Manchebo Beach. I always confuse manchego & manchebo in my mind :)

kathleen @ the daily crumb — March 6, 2012 at 4:56 pm

i.love.cheeeeeeese!

trader joe’s has a delicious cinnamon toscano cheese — worth a try if you spot it in the case!

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — March 6th, 2012 at 4:58 pm

Ok I will be dreaming of this cheese til I buy it. Just the name alone, it’s a must-buy, sight unseen!

vanillasugarblog — March 6, 2012 at 5:44 pm

I tried that and loved it.
    I always eat a full/big snack before going into trader joes.
    Next time you go, try this: Curry Naan bread, toasted, spread with the spicy hummus, then topped with any chutney. Heavenly!

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — March 6th, 2012 at 9:09 pm

I try to go in there with a mission. I don’t just go for the heckuva it. If I don’t plan it out, I get trapped in there and it’s impulse buy city. lol

And the cheese happened b/c I went there on an empty stomach. Whoops!

Sally @ sallys baking addiction — March 6, 2012 at 6:07 pm

my favorite cheese is brie!!! I once had a brie wheel with carmelized/glazed walnuts over top. DROOOOOOL!

Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers — March 6, 2012 at 6:14 pm

The cheese tray platter is beautiful!! Now I want cheese and crackers. Trader Joe’s has such a wonderful assortment of cheese’s, a person could go crazy picking out a cheese. It’s hard to but just one or two!

Charissa — March 6, 2012 at 6:19 pm

Those peanut butter cups have got me running to your original recipe…I might just be caving in to this tonight! :)

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — March 6th, 2012 at 9:05 pm

SUPER easy and if you don’t have nooch on hand, no worries. It adds a nice touch, but not ‘essential’ :)

The Mrs @ Success Along the Weigh — March 6, 2012 at 6:25 pm

You give me a 3 cheese fondue with cotswold, gruyere and havarti and I’m in heaven!

Tracey — March 6, 2012 at 6:36 pm

This probably makes me weird, but I really only like cheese when it’s melted and warm. I never touch the cheese on a cheese board. Gruyere is my favorite, especially in mac and cheese!

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — March 6th, 2012 at 9:04 pm

Warm and gooey is always fabulous…makes me think of wine, parties, and very good times!

LiztheChef — March 6, 2012 at 6:49 pm

We must shop at the same Trader Joe’s and I missed this – the older Asian man or the young mom? I have a “relationship” with them both!

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — March 6th, 2012 at 9:03 pm

The older Asian man, yes! Same TJ’s in Hillcrest. That parking lot..SUCH a zoo. It’s like Xmas at Fashion Valley every day. But it’s just…a grocery store parking lot. Lol

Katie — March 6, 2012 at 7:31 pm

Not a cheese fan at all. Too much growing up in WI, maybe? But my cousin had a great appetizer out that you would have died for – a wheel of brie, warmed, with hot pepper jelly on it! Served with crackers. It got devoured in seconds.

kellypea — March 6, 2012 at 7:34 pm

Although I avoid store samples like the plague, I like cheese. I don’t enjoy eating processed cheese, but like good, flavorful cheese. Forget the oozing, melting greasy stuff. A bit here and there is good. I have more that goes moldy in my fridge than we eat, sadly. But fave? Fleur Vert. Holy cow — erm goat!

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — March 6th, 2012 at 9:00 pm

melty, greasy cheese is best alongside some wine and good friends and lots of laughter :)

Katharina — March 6, 2012 at 8:00 pm

I do love myself some cheese! Smoked Gouda is one of my favorites… and manchego has a soft spot in my heart. I also love nutritional yeast to add cheesiness to recipes. But I appreciate it for its uniqueness. It takes more effort to melt a cheese down to make a sauce than it does to make one out of ‘nooch’.

xo, much love to you!

Ps got a vitamix the other day and I thought of you! I definitely want to revisit some of your recipes.

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — March 6th, 2012 at 8:59 pm

Congrats on your Vita and thanks for saying hi! Always nice to hear from an old friend…can’t believe we’ve both been at this..like 3 years?! :)

xoxo

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — March 6, 2012 at 8:32 pm

Oh my do I ever like cheese!!! ALL kinds, but goat and Gruyere are my faves.

Marina — March 6, 2012 at 8:37 pm

I went vegan for a while but couldn’t do without cheese. I was ready to give up anything, except cheese. I love my cheese with tomatoes, and I love old cheese, so that 1000 days would please my taste… Interesting, what is going to happen faster: TJ would open a store in Plano, TX or I move back to Seattle (in 15 months), where I lived in a same block with TJ?!

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — March 6th, 2012 at 8:58 pm

You’d think Plano would have a TJ’s. It’s nice, family-friendly, suburban town outside of Dallas…I mean, what are they waiting for!

• Marina replied: — March 6th, 2012 at 9:27 pm

I know, right? What are they waiting for? I’ve been doing most of my shopping in Plano lately anyway. I was so happy to see Plano on TJ’s opening soon page, I think I jumped a few times…:)

Vita @ Juicer Depot — March 6, 2012 at 8:51 pm

All these pictures of delicious looking food is making me hungry. I watt to try them all.

Margot Core — March 7, 2012 at 12:00 am

I like gruyere with its almost nutty flavor.

Cassie — March 7, 2012 at 3:36 pm

You definitely deserve a drink while dealing with tech issues! Hope they get resolved. And that cheese! Oh my goodness!

j3nn — March 7, 2012 at 4:38 pm

I bought a pitiful bunch of kale today to make cheezy kale chips with. There were 3 bunches to choose from, each worse than the previous. I need some fresh Cali produce! And a TJ’s! I need the west coast, haha.

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — March 7th, 2012 at 5:12 pm

Gas was $4.89 a gallon today but I will say, the kale is always great looking :) Huge bunches for 99 cents or even the TJ’s pre-bagged kale for like 2 bucks is just fine for kale chips. Wish I could ship you some!

chris — June 5, 2012 at 5:04 am

Okay, Averie, I am counting on you!How can I make a vegan (gluten, dairy and soy free) version of cheddar cheese sauce for “pasta” (a replica for Kraft macaroni and cheese). I have the pasta covered, but I need the cheese sauce. The nacho flavoring in your Dorito sauce won’t do the trick…I need the flavor of Kraft!

Thanks!!!!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — June 5th, 2012 at 8:07 am

I don’t know how Kraft-like it will be but I’d just melt Daiya or another pre-made or soy-based cheese and season it to taste and thin it out as needed with almond milk or water. Making cheese sauce from scratch that’s vegan would involve tofu or cashews and lots of seasonings; you’d have to do your own legwork to get the flavors as you want them.