KitchenAid, Cook Books, & Photography Event

When Todd and Diane asked me to attend an event at their studio on Wednesday, I said yes faster than I could say yes to a sale at Anthropologie.

I think they have their own personal Anthropologie store, and then some, at their studio.

Check out the props. I hope they have a garage sale one day. I’ll be their best customer.

The event was co-hosted by KitchenAid and who doesn’t love a 7-quart Red Classy Lady.

Two stand mixers were raffled off to attendees, 3 food processors were given away, and one convection oven. I didn’t win anything but had one of the best days I’ve had in ages. I felt like I hit the jackpot just being among all the great energy and wonderful people.

About 30 bloggers were there and we were celebrating the release of Cristina Ferrare’s book, Big Bowl of Love, and Joy The Baker’s book, 100 Simple and Comforting Recipes

From Left to Right: Todd, Joy, Cristina, Diane, KitchenAid represenative Rachel, Alex (Cristina’s daughter)

Cristina made gorgeous food and there was pretty food in abundance.

Pretty food, pretty lighting, pretty much awesome.

The cauliflower and red peppers in that jar were so striking and spectacular in person when the light was hitting them just so.

If cauliflower could be called beautiful, that’s how.

Joy made the most amazing frosting that tasted like…

…melted Marshmallow Fluff!

There was a cupcake decorating station and Nancy “only” made 300 cupcakes the day before for the attendees to decorate.

I slathered the marshmallowey frosting onto a couple of cupcakes and in between decorating, I used plenty of those wooden sticks to sample some frosting BLTs (bites, licks, tastes). I promise, I didn’t double dip.

Todd was double-fisting blow torches and was just a wee bit excited about that.

I let him torch my tops.

That’s some of the best frosting ever. Egg whites, sugar, corn syrup. It’s in her book.

I was fortunate enough to receive a copy and let’s just say, I have already dog-eared about 10 recipes in the one day I’ve had my copy.

After the torching, I visited the cupcake-wrapping station where I packaged up the cupcakes.

Talk about an afterschool treat for a 5 year old girly girl: Pink cupcake wrappers, pink decorative sprinkles, pink ribbon, and a marshmallow-frosted cupcake. I got the Mom of the Week Award for that one.

Everyone was so fun-loving and genuinely happy at the event..

It was wonderful to see Diane and Todd again. I had not seen them since Food & Light in Boulder last summer, which was an extraordinary experience. It was a photography (and life) changing trip. I’ll never forget it.

It was fabulous to connect with local SoCal bloggers like Rachael and Jenny, and many other unpictured ladies (Naomi, Lori, Marie, Cirian, and many more)

While we were all gabbing away, eating, and laughing, oranges were being juiced with a Kitchen Aid stand mixer.

Freshly squeezed orange juice made for the best mimosas.

Mimosas, fun people, great energy, marshmallow frosting, food, cupcakes, cookbooks, stand mixers, food processors, bloggers, photographers. It was a phenomenal day!

Many thanks to Kitchen Aid, Todd & Diane, Cristina, Joy, and everyone who was there to make this day so fun!

Two other items:

1. I was nominated to The Kitchn’s Best Food Photography on a Blog list.

If you want to vote for me, I’d love it. You can sign in with your Facebook or Twitter name to register and voting is anonymous. Takes about 1.18 seconds to do. Wait for the page to load (it’s a bit slow and you may need to scroll “up” to see the names). Click to Vote and of course, Vote for anyone who’s work you love.

Voting ends on March 2 (tomorrow) so do your voting now. There’s a million super talented photographers, professional photographers, and fabulous bloggers on the list, so to even make the list and be nominated, I was honored.

2. I was nominated to Fitness Magazine’s Blogs We Love: Best Healthy Eating Blogs list. I’m the first to admit, my blog’s focus has changed from where it was three years ago and I’ve moved from posting about raw vegan food and yoga and onto decadent desserts and comfort food, but I’m still honored to be nominated. If you want to vote for me, I’d be grateful.

What was the last really awesome day you’ve had? What did you do?

My Wednesday was one of the best days I’ve had in ages. I loved every second of the day (other than getting caught in traffic twice on the way there; once leaving San Diego and once entering Orange County. Very small price to pay)

Another one-day event that I will always remember fondly was this Real Food Styling Photography Workshop

This day in Mexico City. Omg the.things.I.saw. (I will always remember the day, that’s for sure)

And this day in Aruba was not too shabby.

Happy Friday

60 Responses to “KitchenAid, Cook Books, & Photography Event”

Julie — March 1, 2012 at 11:14 pm

I’m excited! I get to meet Joy the Baker this weekend. This looks like sooo much fun!

Stacy @ Say It With Sprinkles — March 2, 2012 at 12:13 am

Umm, what am AMAZING looking event, I would have loved to join in! I’ll hopefully be getting a chance to meet Joy this weekend in San Francisco – I’m so glad to hear you love her book so much, because I’ve been looking forward to taking a peek through it!

Kathryn — March 2, 2012 at 1:15 am

That really looks like one of the best days ever – lots of my favourite people all in the same room! Thanks for the recap and the awesome photos, I love that one of Joy making her frosting!

Sally @ Spontaneous Hausfrau — March 2, 2012 at 3:27 am

As if I’m not jealous enough that you live in Southern California, that event takes it over the top ;) You lucky lady!

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — March 2nd, 2012 at 9:50 am

It was such a great event and there are definite benefits to SoCal, in more ways than one!

Drayre — March 2, 2012 at 4:44 am

I would love to see Joy on her book tour but sadly she isn’t coming down South. Once I graduate I will be moving back to the west coast as soon as possible. Thank goodness because I will be back on my favorite author-touring city stops.

Alli — March 2, 2012 at 5:00 am

What an amazing event to be a part of. You rock. So much amazing talent at one event.

Heather (Where's the Beach) — March 2, 2012 at 5:03 am

How cool! I think that would be so neat to attend.

Katie — March 2, 2012 at 5:12 am

Looks like everyone is SO HAPPY!! How could you not be though, surrounded by all that awesomeness – human and cupcake alike.

I need a day like that!

Paula — March 2, 2012 at 5:13 am

What a great opportunity for you and it sounds like you had a blast! It is always so rewarding to be able to have an entire day (or days) you can devote to pursuing artistic passions. I love to have a weekend day when hubby is working and I have all afternoon and evening to make jewelry and play my guitar without any other responsibilities or interruptions. That happened in early Feb. and it was a deeply satisfying and productive day!!

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — March 2nd, 2012 at 9:49 am

I’d love to make jewelry and cook and bake and have those really fabulous weekend afternoons where all is right with the world…I know exactly the kind you speak of (and they don’t happen often enough!)

Julie @ Table for Two — March 2, 2012 at 5:35 am

omgosh, those props. I hope they have a sale someday too because I will be first in line!! Well, I’ll let you be first :)

Brooke — March 2, 2012 at 5:59 am

Wow! This looks like SO MUCH fun!

Brooke

katie @ KatieDid — March 2, 2012 at 6:22 am

Such an incredible opportunity Averie! Jealous might be an understatement haha, but so happy for you that you had an incredibly inspiring day.

JulieD — March 2, 2012 at 6:49 am

What a fun day!! I’m so happy for you! Thanks for sharing it with us through your pictures which are gorgeous as always!!

Anna @ On Anna's Plate — March 2, 2012 at 7:43 am

That looks like SUCH a fun day!!! And all the food– yum!

Michaela — March 2, 2012 at 7:43 am

What a great event!! I bet you all had an absolute blast.
    How inspiring!

Sam@I Tell Stories — March 2, 2012 at 7:49 am

That looks like a ton of fun! Glad Skylar had a special treat to come home to :)

BruCrew Life — March 2, 2012 at 7:51 am

What an absolute treat to be there with all those fantastic people. I am swooning over all the food props…makes me want to go buy more:-) Thanks for sharing the fun day with us!!

jasper naomi — March 2, 2012 at 7:56 am

Averie. I just want you to know that your photos inspire me. You put effort and creativity into your work and I appreciate all you truly GIVE though your blog. Thank you, the faithful reader: jasper!

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — March 2nd, 2012 at 9:47 am

Thank you for this comment…it’s heartfelt and I realllly appreciate it. It helps knowing that folks appreciate what I’m up to and try to give…thank you for telling me this :) xo

• jasper naomi replied: — March 2nd, 2012 at 9:57 am

the comment is definitely true! thanks for writing/working/sharing Averie!

Erica — March 2, 2012 at 8:40 am

WHAT an event!! SO SO cool. Amazing people and gorgeous looking food! I want to swim in that frosting

Jenny@vegetarianhatesvegetables — March 2, 2012 at 8:58 am

Good luck! My goal is to one day be able to take pics like you!

Lindsay @ Fuel My Family — March 2, 2012 at 9:19 am

The best day I had in a while was at an indoor waterpark with my kids. The slides and all were so much fun and watching the smile on my 3 year olds face ALL day was priceless!

Deirdre — March 2, 2012 at 9:33 am

Oh happy day Averie! I can just feel the good vibes and good food through the screen! Best wishes for best blog- you deserve it!

Christine (The Raw Project) — March 2, 2012 at 10:05 am

What an awesome event, how fun! And congrats again on the nominations, so cool! It’s been awhile for really cool days for me with work being nutso, but hopefully that will change next week.

Amber K — March 2, 2012 at 11:30 am

Oh.My.Gosh. How fun! And these pictures are absolutely gorgeous. I can’t stop drooling over those mimosas!

Cassie — March 2, 2012 at 11:58 am

Wow, how amazing was this! Thanks for sharing your experience. And make sure and let me know if Todd and Diane ever have that garage sale!

Brandon @ Kitchen Konfidence — March 2, 2012 at 1:08 pm

So jealous right now!!! Looks like it was such a fun event. I saw tweets popping up yesterday with the #KitchenAid tag and was wishing I could be there.

Great photos Averie!

Jenny Flake — March 2, 2012 at 3:00 pm

It was so fun getting to chat and hang with you this week!! Hope to see you again soon :) xoxo

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — March 2, 2012 at 3:33 pm

Glad to hear Wednesday was such a wonderful day for you! It certainly sounds like you had a great time! I had an awesome day last weekend if I remember correctly!

In regard to your comment about the cookies. My intention all along was to do a final post with a description of each and rate them 1-5, however what I didn’t expect was for them all to taste so similar! Besides looks, the taste of the last 4 is virtually identical! It is shocking, because the recipes are quite different. The hubby picked a favourite though, and I do have thoughts on each one that I will share along with my choice of #1.

Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers — March 2, 2012 at 6:13 pm

Voted for you my dear! Good luck!!! I’ll ask my FB friends to vote for you too!!

Liz (Little Bitty Bakes) — March 2, 2012 at 7:14 pm

Sounds like a fun-filled event! Wish I lived close to so many other bloggers, like you do!

Congrats on the nominations, I’ll have to vote for you! Who cares if your blog shift has focused – I still see you as a healthy person – you just like to indulge, too!

Tracey — March 3, 2012 at 5:54 am

Wow, that sounds like such a fun day! California is the place to be for foodie events :)

Cathy/ShowFoodChef — March 3, 2012 at 6:25 pm

It was fun to meet you and what a fantastic luncheon. Your pics are stunning and love discovering your blog. Cath~

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — March 3rd, 2012 at 6:58 pm

Thanks, Cathy, it was GREAT meeting you, too. And all the attendees! SUCH a fun event :)

Alex Thomopoulos — March 4, 2012 at 8:16 pm

Averie!
    Your blog is INCREDIBLE have been snooping around for a whole hour. I LOVE being able to read all about your adventures. so inspiring! So great to meet you the other day! Best of luck!
    xo
    Alex

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — March 4th, 2012 at 9:48 pm

Alex, you are so sweet, thanks for snooping around and it was FAB to meet you! If you’re ever in SoCal (can’t remember where you said you live now), we have to hang! I live in a funky party of San Diego and I can tell by your rockin’ sense of style, we could get into some trouble together!
      xoxo

Melissa | Dash of East — March 21, 2012 at 11:24 am

Oh Wow! This is awesome. KitchenAid mentioned at FoodBlogForum that they did an event with Todd & Diane recently and I am so happy that you went and now I can live vicariously through your photos! :) I’m sure their photo studio was amazing – I’m hoping that I’ll get to visit it one day!

Bev @ Bev Cooks — May 18, 2012 at 7:27 am

HOW DID I MISS THIS?! That. looks. amazing.

I’m not jealous at all.

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — May 18th, 2012 at 8:17 am

It was the most amazing day. Seriously…just…beyond words fun! :)