Microwave Strawberry Vanilla Mug Cake with Vanilla Buttercream Glaze

Ready, set, go.

Let’s make cake.

In the microwave. In 90 seconds.

Who doesn’t love cake, with strawberries woven into it, with a puddle a bit of vanilla buttercream glaze added for good measure.

Get your day started off properly.

With cake for breakfast.

And it’s healthy because you’re getting in a serving of fruit. Yeah.

Along with a serving of frosting, which is the best way to start the day, of course.

[print_this]

Microwave Strawberry Vanilla Mug Cake with Vanilla Glaze (with Vegan and Gluten Free Suggestions)

Makes one very generous portion

1 tablespoon butter, softened

1 large egg

1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract (or 1 teaspoon+ if you love vanilla)

2 tablespoons granulated sugar (or 3 tablespoons if you want it sweeter)

1/4 cup all-purpose flour

1 teaspoon baking powder

1/2 teaspoon cinnamon

2 to 3 tablespoons strawberries, diced (I used TJ’s frozen strawberries and diced them. Halve or quarter your berries as desired)

In a medium bowl, combine all ingredients (except strawberries), and whisk until batter is just smooth, but do not overmix. Gently fold in the strawberries. Prepare a mug by spraying it very well with cooking spray and pour batter into mug, taking care that there is plenty of room for growth. The batter/cake will nearly double in height in the microwave so select a large mug and do not fill more than halfway. (You may have leftover batter or you may get two mugcakes from this recipe, but don’t overfill or you will have a big mess) Microwave on high for 75 to 90 seconds, or until done. Microwave cooking times vary widely and I suggest standing in front of the microwave the entire time. It could be done in 60 seconds, it could take 2 minutes; it’s very hard to say but mine took about 90 seconds. While the mug cake is cooling, make the glaze.

Vanilla Buttercream Glaze

1 tablespoon butter,  melted

1/4 cup powdered sugar

1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract (or 1/2 teaspoon+ if you love vanilla)

1 tablespoon+ cream (or milk)

Combine all ingredients (except for cream) in a small bowl and whisk, adding the cream based on desired consistency of glaze. Spoon glaze over the mugcake while it’s in the mug and allow glaze to soak and permeate into the cake. Or, remove cake from the mug by running a knife around the sides and inverting it onto a plate and spooning the glaze over it.

Notes:

I do not bother with mixing dry ingredients first, then wet; making this in one bowl and everything added at once is fine. You can also mix this all together in the mug and skip the bowl entirely, taking care you’ve sprayed it well with cooking spray. Do not fill your mug more than halfway full as the batter/cake will expand and nearly double in size. Allow for plenty of room for growth.

To keep vegan, use margarine in place of butter, use nut milk in place of cream/milk, and use a flax egg. To keep gluten free, use a gluten-free flour blend. I have not tried making this vegan or gluten free; I am only providing likely suggestions.

I am sure you could bake this in the oven in an oven-safe baking dish or suitable mug, but this is a “convenience recipe” and I have only tried it using the microwave.

[/print_this]

Cake making is as easy as combining everything in one bowl except for the strawberries, stirring, and folding those in last. I don’t bother mixing the dry and mixing wet ingredients separately, and then folding them together.

This is a convenience recipe and it’s much more convenient to just do it all at once. You can even just mix everything in the mug, making it even more convenient because you have one less dish to do, but for the sake of pictures, I used a small bowl.

Pour the batter into a mug if you didn’t mix the batter in a mug.

One huge, big, word of advice: Make sure you mug is TALL enough to support this recipe. Select a nice, tall mug because the batter will expand considerably; nearly doubling in height.

Don’t fill your mug more than halfway full with batter because you will end up with spillover city and a microwave cleanup project and that would be a major inconvenience.

The photo  below was taken about one minute after removing the mugcake from the microwave.

Upon initially taking it out, the batter had puffed up very high, even a little higher, than the mug’s rim, but as it cooled, it shrunk down some.

For the sake of pictures, I inverted the mugcake on a plate and drizzled glaze over the top but if it wasn’t for pictures, I would have just poured the glaze on top of the cake while inside the mug, and smooshed it all around with my spoon.

I would have eaten it like hot fudge poured over ice cream in a mug, all messy and blended together, which is the best way.

This was so good because it had the sweetness of vanilla cake but with the bonus of berries woven in, and then that glaze.

The vanilla glaze really enhanced the vanilla cake flavor. I am a vanilla fanatic and this was right up my vanilla alley.

The whole thing is right up my alley because there is cake involved, frosting is present, and the microwave was used.

My kinda recipe.

If you’re a fan of microwave “cakes” you may like:

Microwave Banana Oat Cakes

Microwave Blueberry Banana Oat Cakes

If you like to bake rather than nuke, I suggest Strawberry Banana Bread

Have you ever made a mugcake?

What’s the best thing you make in the microwave?

I know some people don’t like using microwaves but I do. Because I can make cake in it! Or tofu. Or popcorn. Or heat up my coffee. Just one tool in the toolbox.

Thanks for the Baking Supplies Giveaway entries

126 Responses to “Microwave Strawberry Vanilla Mug Cake with Vanilla Buttercream Glaze”

Brooke — March 19, 2012 at 1:52 pm

Ahhhhhh mugcake!!!! LOVE! I’ve only tried chocolate before…but this looks incredible!

Brooke

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — March 19th, 2012 at 2:28 pm

Thanks, Brooke. Chocolate is next on my agenda I’m thinking.

Cassie — March 19, 2012 at 1:58 pm

We don’t have a microwave but I think I am going to try baking it, and maybe making it vegan. Love this!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — March 19th, 2012 at 2:28 pm

I knew someone would say they don’t have a microwave…never thought it would be you! LMK if you do end up trying it and the outcome!

• Cassie replied: — March 19th, 2012 at 2:36 pm

We just never bought one after we moved and we honestly haven’t missed it. I have been using double-boilers more than ever! I’ll let you know how it turns out!

Erin — March 19, 2012 at 2:18 pm

What a great cake! Single serve, so no one has to know I had while they were at work and school!

Erica — March 19, 2012 at 2:51 pm

YUM! You are on an awesome strawberry kick. I’m loving it!! I haven’t made a mug cake. Its such a fun dessert idea!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — March 19th, 2012 at 6:44 pm

I know…I went months without anything but lately, been going gangbusters!

Marina — March 19, 2012 at 2:52 pm

Yes, we do make mug cakes, it’s a traditional around the Easter. But not in the microwave, in the oven. As for us, we decided about two years ago not to have microwave at all. Strange, ha?! :)

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — March 19th, 2012 at 6:44 pm

Not strange b/c I know a lot of people who don’t use one..but…I love the convenience!

j3nn — March 19, 2012 at 3:25 pm

I’ve had mug cakes on my to-make list foreverrrrrrr! This sounds SO GOOD. Love the sugary glaze. Glaze is my favorite and so easy to make. YUM!

Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar — March 19, 2012 at 3:53 pm

I love this averie! Yum!

Saya at Saya's Soulful — March 19, 2012 at 3:58 pm

I’ve never done a microwave style mug cake before… i love the idea of whipping something up quick without compromising on the yumminess factor! Must try! xo

Sassy Stephanie — March 19, 2012 at 4:26 pm

Ok, made a GF one! I used almond flour and coconut flour to make 1/4 c total, coconut oil instead of butter and stevia. Turned out sooooo yummy.

I make the ‘skinny muffin’ in the micro with flax meal. Yours is better tho!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — March 19th, 2012 at 6:45 pm

Thank you so much for the FAST field report! And that you made it GF and with coconut oil, too. GREAT INFO!!! Thanks, Stephanie!

Alison @ Ingredients, Inc. — March 19, 2012 at 4:27 pm

okay…. I am drooling now

Paula — March 19, 2012 at 4:47 pm

I made an apple cinnamon mug cake before I sat down to pull up your post–what a coincidence! I needed something sweet and fast and mug cakes fit the bill! Yours looks so nice with the strawberries and glaze–I’ll have to try that next.

Bev Weidner — March 19, 2012 at 4:55 pm

That. Looks. Insanely. Good. I. Might. Freak.

bakerbynature — March 19, 2012 at 5:13 pm

I have a feeling my microwave and I have a cake date very soon – too tempting, Averie!!

Heather (Where's the Beach) — March 19, 2012 at 5:16 pm

How could this possibly be bad? Strawberries AND vanilla. YUM. I’ve never tried a mugcake. About the only thing that happens in my microwave is reheating something or defrosting something.

Blog is the New Black — March 19, 2012 at 5:32 pm

You are making this too easy!!!

Liz (Little Bitty Bakes) — March 19, 2012 at 5:36 pm

Yes, anything with fruit is automatically healthy, love that rule and that’s why I love banana cream pie – so healthy ;) Love these easy little cakes!

Luv What You do — March 19, 2012 at 5:38 pm

I have never made an official mug cake, but I’m a huge fan of the quinoa bakes for breakfast. My boyfriend just asked me what is for dessert and I’m thinking it may be a mug cake : ) And the banana oat one looks perfect for tomorrws breakfast. Thanks!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — March 19th, 2012 at 6:47 pm

LMK if you end up making anything & what you did and used in it and results!

Ashley @ My Food 'N' Fitness Diaries — March 19, 2012 at 6:03 pm

this looks great! i love mug cakes because they’re one serving. i prefer single serving desserts…they help my self control since i have an incredibly large sweet tooth! ;)

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — March 19th, 2012 at 6:47 pm

Single serving is great…I wish I could make 1 dozen, cookies, max at a time. Because after that, I’m ready for a new flavor anyway!

katie @ KatieDid — March 19, 2012 at 6:06 pm

I love microwaves specifically for sweet potatoes. I’ve been into baking them lately but in a pinch I can easily microwave one in 4-5 minutes and its almost just as good and soo convenient. I’ve made one mug cake and absolutely loved how easy it was and was surprised by how well it came out! Has to be a good recipe though because I’m sure they can go wrong pretty easily.

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — March 19th, 2012 at 6:47 pm

They can go wrong and either not rise or rise too much and puffffffff right out of the mug. lol

Ketrin @ knowing ketrin — March 19, 2012 at 6:33 pm

ohhh my gosh. read this & ran down stairs to make it. AMAZING!! I may or may have not added mini chocolate chips to it :) Thanks for this great recipe!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — March 19th, 2012 at 6:48 pm

OMG Strawberries & mint = GREAT combo!

Thanks for the FAST attempt on this one and for the field report! I love feedback, especially when the recipe is well-received :)

Sally @ sallys baking addiction — March 19, 2012 at 6:54 pm

LOVE!!!! i’m obsessed with all your vanilla recipes lately. this mug cake looks divine w/ those strawberries. mmmm! i may have to try some of your microwave recipes Averie! Pinning that blueberry banana oat cake.

millie torres — March 19, 2012 at 7:26 pm

Averie, how can you bake so much and stay so slim?

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — March 19th, 2012 at 7:54 pm

I eat some of everything I make; but I don’t eat a 9 x 13 pan of bars or a dozen cookies every day…haha. Moderation.

Katie — March 19, 2012 at 7:42 pm

And I literally just finished the strawberries that have been taking up freezer space since I picked them this summer.

I’d say this recipe is healthier than most pancake recipes, even with the glaze, if you factor in that no one uses only 1/4 c of syrup. At least I never did. ;) I do some of my best baking and cooking with the microwave. I love it. I’m not dead yet.

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — March 19th, 2012 at 7:55 pm

I’m not dead either and you’re right, this IS healthier than pancakes b/c I was playing around with pancake recipes last week and after making those and this, just by ingredients alone, I KNOW this is healthier, syrup factor notwithstanding…and then for SURE this is healthier. 2 tbsp of syrup have like 100 cals or something kinda crazy. And who uses 2 tbsp. That’s PER BITE for me :)

Alyssa (Down_To_Earth) — March 19, 2012 at 7:59 pm

Oh man, I’ve been trying (with little success) to make a vegan mug muffin this week. I can’t seem to get the density right . . . it’s always too heavy. Yours, however, is mouthwatering. Lovely work!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — March 19th, 2012 at 8:01 pm

higher up in the comments someone already wrote in to say they tried it GF AND with coconut oil rather than butter with success. I think you can skip the egg and use a flax egg and you’re there. LMK if you try it!

• Alyssa (Down_To_Earth) replied: — March 27th, 2012 at 8:13 pm

I made a vegan version of your mug cake/muffin using your suggestions (flax egg and coconut oil) and it turned out great! Thanks for your help!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — March 27th, 2012 at 8:15 pm

Thanks so much for posting this comment, Alyssa :) Glad that it worked for you! YAY!!!

Ilana — March 19, 2012 at 8:03 pm

I went through a phase in like November where I ate a chocolate mug cake at least once a day (sometimes I ate two and called it dinner) … I used chick pea flour which worked out really well and my roommate who is not vegan or gluten free or weird but just a foodie kinda person really loved it as well. My go-to was something like 3 t garbanzo flour, 2 t cocoa powder, 1+ t coconut sugar (or agave or whateverr), 1 t coconut oil, a splash of water or almond milk to make it cake batter-y, then mix ins like fruit or chocolate chips (usually both). Finish with a dollop of nut butter for the grande finale and … dinner, right??

• Ilana replied: — March 19th, 2012 at 8:04 pm

oh and of course baking soda, flax egg, and salt

Michele Sparrow — March 19, 2012 at 8:35 pm

It is amazing to me that something that looks like it took a couple of hours, really only took less than 2 minutes…AND…looks delicious to boot! Simeon (my youngest) said that he is making his own breakfast tomorrow and that is the menu! LOL! :-)

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — March 19th, 2012 at 9:09 pm

Well, the food styling, photos, editing of them, and blogging about this took about 80899 times longer than the actual recipe did :)

So yes, the recipe was 2 mins..the rest…well, not so much.

Gina @ Running to the Kitchen — March 19, 2012 at 8:39 pm

Aren’t mug cakes the best? I’ve only done chocolate based ones so I’m loving this fruit version!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — March 19th, 2012 at 9:10 pm

I don’t even recall your chocolate one?! I need to see what you did…

Lisa — March 19, 2012 at 8:52 pm

Your photos are absolutely breathtaking, seriously amazing!!! :) I love the microwave I have no hate against it! It’s easy and quick, just what I need for my life

T — March 19, 2012 at 9:29 pm

Yum! I definitely want to try this soon. By the way, I loooove the microwave oat cakes, I’ve been having them for breakfast almost everyday! Sometimes I add pumpkin and/or frozen raspberries to the mix, so good. Topped with PB of course! Thanks for the great idea

Jenny@vegetarianhatesvegetables — March 19, 2012 at 10:37 pm

No way! This is too cool!

Julie — March 19, 2012 at 10:53 pm

Oh my gosh, you are GENIUS. This is fantastic and I have a little baggie of strawberries to use!

Jade @ Maids — March 20, 2012 at 1:59 am

Awesome good!
    just looking at the photos makes me hungry hahas!
    thumbs up ya. this is perfect for my cakes craving :x

Tiff @ Love Sweat and Beers — March 20, 2012 at 5:26 am

I am always on the lookout for single-serving treats. Thanks! This one looks great!

Melissa — March 20, 2012 at 7:03 am

This is genius. You are my new personal hero!!!

Lauren @ Oatmeal after Spinning — March 20, 2012 at 7:13 am

Making microwave cakes and muffins is pretty much the only method of “baking” that I do. :)
    My favorite is probably one made with coconut flour, cocoa powder, liquid stevia (chocolate flavor), egg whites, pumpkin, almond milk and baking powder. And either chopped up strawberries or peanut butter chips. SO GOOD.

Kait — March 20, 2012 at 8:26 am

I. love. mugcake. My life improved once I discovered them! And I love my microwave even though there is some concern about the safety of using it.

Christine (The Raw Project) — March 20, 2012 at 8:46 am

This looks so fun! I’ve never tried mug cake, but what a cute idea! I have not been making anything nearly as fabulous in my microwave lately, just reheating coffee and steaming veggies. :-)

Carolyn Jung — March 20, 2012 at 8:55 am

Cake baked in a microwave? That is magical. And so tempting that I’d want to do this each and every morning. ;)

Deirdre — March 20, 2012 at 9:44 am

I think your mugcake might replace the cake ball craze. Seriously that’s pretty ingenius. I can see the marketing now.
    Like the new layout too!

Amber K — March 20, 2012 at 10:40 am

I have tried to make a mugcake before, but it never really worked out. I don’t know if I was just following bad recipes, or if I wasn’t using the right gluten-free flours or what. Gluten-free nuking seems to be as much of a science and gluten-free baking!

This is such a cute idea! And I love how fast it would be to whip up. Convenient, delicious, and under proper portion control. :)

Anna @ On Anna's Plate — March 20, 2012 at 11:31 am

BEAUTIFUL pics!! I’m loving the look of that glaze!!

Moni'sMeals — March 20, 2012 at 1:12 pm

what a cute and YUMMY recipe! did you say 90 secs… Oh yes please.
    The pics get me everytime…mouth watering!

Love the new site/everything by the way. You go girl.. :)

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — March 20th, 2012 at 7:37 pm

Thanks, Monica! Your site is always…amazing and so inspiring! All this tech stuff takes TIME and patience!

Joy — March 20, 2012 at 7:41 pm

I am addicted to making popcorn in my microwave (I blame you – remember all the recipes for popcorn you posted a while ago? Yeah well I’m still making it almost every day… Household favorite is cooking spray with Splenda (shhh) and cinnamon)

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — March 20, 2012 at 9:42 pm

I have never made a mug cake … I guess I have always been a little afraid that they would taste funny or something. Yours looks pretty darn good though!

Erica — March 21, 2012 at 11:03 am

PERFECT!!!! It was super simple to make and super quick. Made it while baby was taking a nap!! Great treat for mommy alone time. :) The taste is absolutely divine!!!!!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — March 21st, 2012 at 11:04 am

Thanks for the feedback!! I love field reports…especially when there is big time success :)

Kammie @ Sensual Appeal — March 21, 2012 at 2:20 pm

Wow amazing, I will definitely make this soon! Pinned!

Nikkilooch — March 23, 2012 at 2:55 am

Hey, I just linked this post as one of my favorites from the week on my blog. Thanks so much for sharing!

Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers — March 31, 2012 at 8:47 pm

I just made your cake, followed directions exactly and it turned out perfect!! I asked my Husband if he wanted microwave cake and he was skeptical and kind of had that gross look on his face but took it anyway and I told him to share it with me. I went to the kitchen to wash up the dishes, came back and he ate the whole thing. With a mouth full of food, he said that was good!! It’s a hit!! If I didn’t wash the dishes I would of made one for myself. I did manage one bite before I gave it to him to test and it’s amazing! it’s almost like a strawberry sponge cake. I love it!! Great recipe! This is one I’ll make again!! Do you think you could sub the flour for unsweetened cocoa powder? I’d love a chocolate cake with strawberries!! Your a genius!!!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — March 31st, 2012 at 9:28 pm

Because the flour has a specific purpose, you can’t omit it. You could probably add 1 to 2 tbsp of cocoa powder to the mix, but know that if you do that, it’s probably not going to fit into one mug! Well, not my mugs because I was already at the limits of size before I would have had an overflow! So it may be a 2-cake microwave mug cake(s). I have some recipes coming up and you will be happy with them…just sit tight, they’re coming :)

GLAD the hubs approved. That’s high praise…thank you for telling me!

Sharon — April 3, 2012 at 12:34 am

Morning Avery! I made my first mug cake today. it was a chocolate mug cake(surprise surprise PMS) Am going to make this for my husband when he comes back. he doesn’t like frosting so am thinking of topping it with vanilla ice cream

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — April 3rd, 2012 at 12:40 am

Sounds like a winner: Chocolate! He doesn’t like frosting? Silly guy!

• Sharon replied: — April 3rd, 2012 at 9:40 pm

I know right? crazy is what i think he is!