Oreo Cookie Stuffed Brownies with Vanilla Buttercream Frosting

Happy Birthday to me.

Kidding. It’s not my birthday.

It’s the 100th birthday of Oreo Cookies.

I had to jump on the Birthday Cake Oreo Cookie bandwagon, and what better way to eat chocolate-and-frosting sandwich cookies than to stuff them inside chocolate brownies and top the entire chocolatey mess with frosting.

Cookies on their own are good, but stuffed inside brownies, they’re even better.

I’m not alone in the Birthday Oreo baking bonanza because recently, I’ve seen:

Christi made these brownies

Bridget made these brownies

Liz made cookies

Katrina made ice cream cakes

The major difference I notice with the Birthday Cake Oreos compared to regular Oreos is that they smell like birthday cake. Yum.

But they don’t really taste like cake. I wish they tasted how they smelled, which is positively divine.

That’s okay because brownies make up for the lack of a strong cake flavor.

Chocolate remedies everything.

I also noticed that the Birthday Cake Oreos are slightly sweeter than regular Oreos, but not by much.

If you can’t find Birthday Oreos, or in the future when these special limited edition Oreos won’t be around, no worries. Just use the old standby original Oreo.

Whatever you use, when you’re stuffing cookies inside brownies, you’re going to be happy.

And topped with a thick layer of vanilla buttercream frosting, you’re going to be even happier.

[print_this]

Birthday Cake Oreo Cookie-Stuffed Brownies with Vanilla Buttercream Frosting and Sprinkles

Makes 24 brownies

Notes: If desired, use a boxed brownie mix, and prepare as indicated; pouring half the batter into the pan, topping with Oreos, and pouring remaining batter over the top of them. Bake as directed, but I would suggest a 25-30 minute guideline. Use storebought frosting if desired. If you cannot find Birthday Oreos, use any desired Oreo variety.

4 ounces baking chocolate (I used 10 squares of TJ’s 72% chocolate bar or use 4 squares Baker’s Chocolate, semi-sweet)

3/4 cup butter or margarine, melted (1 1/2 sticks)

2 cups sugar

3 eggs

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

2 tablespoons espresso or brewed coffee, optional

1 cup all-purpose flour

1/4 cup sprinkles, optional

15 Birthday Oreo Cookies (or Original Oreos)

Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a 9×13-inch pan with foil and spray it with cooking spray. Microwave chocolate and butter in large microwave-safe bowl for 90 seconds or until butter is melted. Stir until chocolate is completely melted. Stir in sugar (it will seem very granular, this is okay). Stir in eggs and vanilla. If adding espresso or coffee, add it now. Stir in flour until just combined, do not overmix. Stir in sprinkles if using. Spread half the brownie batter in prepared pan. Place Oreos on top of brownie batter (I did 3 across by 5 rows = 15 Oreos). Top with the remaining brownie batter and smooth it over the top, very slightly pushing the Oreos down with your spatula, very lightly. Bake 26 to 30 minutes or until brownies are set, taking care not to overbake. (Insert a toothpick into the center of the pan, and avoid inserting it into an Oreo, to check for doneness. Toothpick may not come out entirely clean even when done because these are very fudgy brownies). Note the brownies may “puff up” quite dramatically in their final minutes of cooking and this is okay. Let them cool completely, about 1 hour, or put the pan into the freezer for 10 minutes if you’re rushed before frosting, slicing, and serving. While brownies are cooling, make frosting (or use storebought)

Vanilla Buttercream Frosting (adapted from the C&H Cane Sugar box)

1 pound (1 box) powdered sugar (about 4 cups)

1/2 cup butter, softened

1/4 cup cream (or half-and-half, or milk)

1 teaspoon vanilla extract (use clear vanilla to keep your frosting extra white if this matters to you)

1/4 teaspoon Bright White Soft Gel Paste, optional (discussed here)

Mix until very smooth. (You may need to play with the cream and/or powdered sugar ratio very slightly while mixing the frosting until your preferred frosting consistency is reached). Frost the brownies and garnish with more sprinkles, as desired.

[/print_this]

Getting to the point where you can chomp into one of these is easy.

Just make the brownie batter from scratch because it only takes 5 minutes, but if you really want to use a boxed mix, use that and mix it according to the directions (plus I’d add 2 tablespoons of coffee and a dash of vanilla extract).

Pour half the batter into the pan. Use foil so you can just lift this whole 6.743 pounds of brownie-cookie-frosting mixture out with ease. It’s so much easier that way and less messy and less chance of wasting chocolate at the bottom of a pan.

Crack open a package of Oreos. Birthday Oreos are fun, but any Oreo will do and top the brownies with Oreos. I used 15 but you could have used less, or more, depending on how ridiculous delicious you want these brownies to be.

Pour the rest of the brownie batter over the top and use a spatula to smooth the top. I suggest lighting smooshing the Oreos down some with your spatula so they “embed” into the bottom layer but don’t smoosh too much that they “bottom out”.

Bake for at least 26 minutes and start checking them at that point. Baking times could vary based on how many Oreos uses, oven temperature variances, if you made brownies from scratch or not, how halfway raw very gooey you like your brownies, and so forth. Use the toothpick test and common sense but know that a toothpick may not come out perfectly clean because these are very fudgy brownies. Also watch the edges and if they’re pulling away from the sides of the pan and foil, that’s a very good sign these babies are ready.

If you’re a brownie fan:

Peanut Butter Cup Brownie Cupcakes with White Chocolate Icing

Fudgy Nutella Brownies with Cream Cheese Frosting

Triple Layer Fudgy Mint Oreo Brownies

Happy Birthday, Oreo!

Do you like Oreo Cookies?

How do you eat them?

I love them and can do major damage with a box of them. I eat them strategically by first breaking apart the two halves, and I eat the unfrosted cookie half first, getting the boring side out of the way, first.  Then I eat the half with the frosting on it and sometimes first by licking the frosting off and after that’s gone, I finish the cookie. By this point, my hands are covered in black crumbs, I have hypersweet frosting fragments stuck in my front teeth, and I’m ready to do it again with the next cookie.

Thanks for the Digital Kitchen Scale & Nutritionist Consultation Giveaway entries

87 Responses to “Oreo Cookie Stuffed Brownies with Vanilla Buttercream Frosting”

Kathryn — March 6, 2012 at 1:56 am

Those birthday oreos look amazing and even more amazing when they are stuffed inside a brownie! Definitely a very fitting birthday tribute!

lauren@spicedplate — March 6, 2012 at 2:32 am

So funny — “oreo” was the answer to a crossword puzzle question (clue: sandwich cookie) yesterday! When I ate oreos, milk was necessary, and I’d totally scrape the frosting out and then dunk away! If you dunk the sandwich halves, it decreases their boring factor by a little…and if you dunk enough, you’re left with chocolate milk — score!

Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen — March 6, 2012 at 2:40 am

Oh my, you really have created an outstanding birthday tribute to Oreos! Fabulous!

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — March 6th, 2012 at 9:02 am

And major congrats to you for getting so high up in the Kitchn Photography voting…your photography is always so inspiring and you deserve it!

Sally @ sallys baking addiction — March 6, 2012 at 3:30 am

i KNEW you’d come up with something genius with these oreos Averie! these look perfectly amazing and all those colors from the sprinkles really amke your pictures EXTRA beautiful. (love the star sprinkles!) when i was growing up, i would smear peanut butter between oreos and stack up 3 or 4 of them. nowadays, i like my oreos crushed up in some type of cookies n cream dish!! yummm. although, i’m sure i’d still flip for those pb oreos i gorged on when i was little :)

Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar — March 6, 2012 at 4:30 am

Mmm I love anything with Oreos in it. I would totally have these for my birthday! Happy birthday Oreo! And happy fake birthday to you too Averie! haha

Erica — March 6, 2012 at 5:17 am

I can’t tell you the last time I had an oreo! But they are yummy :). These are so colorful and fun. Perfect for a birthday party.

Heather (Where's the Beach) — March 6, 2012 at 5:23 am

Those just look so fun and festive. I think they would be great for a spring celebration or birthday party. Not really an oreo fan (crazy I know), but I always liked the filling. I remember loving those huge double stuffed cookies. So much filling!

Alex@Spoonful of Sugar Free — March 6, 2012 at 5:34 am

You little tease, I totally thought it was your birthday when you said the first line!!! Oh well, who says you can’t have 2 birthdays a year? or a birthday every time you make a treat??

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — March 6th, 2012 at 8:56 am

or a birthday every time you make a treat?? <— I’d have about 300 bdays a year if that was the case! haha!

kathleen @ the daily crumb — March 6, 2012 at 6:01 am

i LOVE oreos. i don’t eat them often anymore, but when i was younger i would break them apart, lick off alllll the cream (duh) and then dunk the chocolate cookies into milk until they were nice and soggy. that, or i would stack them together to make a quadruple stuffed oreo (probably not the healthiest!)

Katie — March 6, 2012 at 7:03 am

You kill me. I want one of each of these brownies – the mint, the nutella, the cake batter oreos!!!

It was my dad’s birthday yesterday. I think he deserves these.

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — March 6th, 2012 at 8:55 am

And between this batch and the mint, these are WAY less time consuming b/c that mint layer had many different things going on with mint, fluff, food coloring, melted white chocolate…these are much faster!

Rachel @ The Avid Appetite — March 6, 2012 at 7:22 am

Oh my goodness, these look so fun and delicious. My Oreo of choice is definitely the Double Stuff. I mean come on…can you think of anything better?

Ok, maybe just these bars…

Ashley @ My Food 'N' Fitness Diaries — March 6, 2012 at 8:00 am

holy YUM! these look decadent! oreos + brownies = nearly perfect! you should make a brownie + oreo + peanut butter version… ;)

Melissa // thefauxmartha — March 6, 2012 at 8:17 am

Love the celebratory sprinkles!

Deirdre — March 6, 2012 at 8:18 am

THAT is awesome.

Deirdre — March 6, 2012 at 8:19 am

THAT is awesome. Cream first…and minty only.

Lauren at Keep It Sweet — March 6, 2012 at 8:41 am

Gorgeous and delicious way to celebrate those Oreos!

j3nn — March 6, 2012 at 8:42 am

I want to eat the frosting off of all of them, lol. I have a raging sweet tooth at the moment. :)

And yes, birthday Oreos, DO small like cake batter!! The smell is pretty amazing if you like cake batter. And who doesn’t? (Dustin) ha!

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — March 6th, 2012 at 9:08 am

I wish they tasted more like they smelled because other than Dustin, who doesn’t like cake batter? :)

Bev Weidner — March 6, 2012 at 9:10 am

Only you could make Oreos fit for glamour shots!

Anna @ On Anna's Plate — March 6, 2012 at 9:15 am

Haha…you finally gave in :-) These look seriously awesome– I’d like for you to fed-ex me some of that frosting today, please. Thanks!! :-)

vanillasugarblog — March 6, 2012 at 10:19 am

thankfully i did not buy a bag of those!
    they would have never made it to the brownies!
    gosh those look soooo good.

Amber K — March 6, 2012 at 11:11 am

I was actually never a fan of the actual Oreo cookies, but I LOVED cookies & cream ice cream. The best! The cookie pieces in it were always so much softer than regular Oreos are. Giving up my favorite flavor of ice cream since going gluten-free was a bummer, but I can drool over these pictures at least!

ErinCroutons — March 6, 2012 at 12:13 pm

I just found your site today and had to laugh at the title Love Veggies and Yoga, only to scroll down and see Oreo’s. I’m glad to know that another traditionally healthy gal eats Oreo’s when they happen to turn 100. What a great excuse to celebrate!

Kerry @ Totes My Oats — March 6, 2012 at 12:46 pm

Happy birthday to Oreos! I wish i knew, I would have picked some up at the store when I was there earlier ;) I like to dip my oreos in cold milk… mmmmmm

Living The Sweet Life — March 6, 2012 at 12:59 pm

What a great way to celebrate Oreo’s 100th birthday – – pretty fine looking cookie for turning 100 ;)

Cassie — March 6, 2012 at 1:24 pm

Girl, this is brilliant. I’ve never been more excited to make brownies!!

shelly (cookies and cups) — March 6, 2012 at 10:07 pm

Well, I have to say that I gasped when I saw these. This is my kinda dessert!

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — March 6th, 2012 at 2:18 pm

And I am surprised you haven’t jumped on the Oreo Bday bandwagon but you may still have some tricks up your sleeve. I love ALL your goodies…seriously…you are my baking hero!!! :)

Saya at Saya's Soulful — March 6, 2012 at 2:49 pm

Oh my…. glorious looking indulging goodies. I love the pics! And those peanut butter cup brownies look amazing too xo

Krissy's Creations — March 6, 2012 at 3:17 pm

I was about to be like, ooooo Happy Birthday! But then i read the second line :) haha. At least I can say happy birthday to oreo :). These look insane Averie! Sooooo delicious!

Paula — March 6, 2012 at 4:20 pm

I unscrew the Oreos (preferably double stuff) and eat the middle first. I’ll definitely have to exercise a lot of restraint to execute your recipe properly! Those really look good–and the frosting on top gives it kind of a black and white checkered layer look. Love it! The triple layer mint Oreo brownies were a huge hit in this house last weekend!!

Patricia — March 6, 2012 at 5:26 pm

Oh my GOODNESS. These look brilliant. I will have to try them sometime after Lent is over (and that will give me time to figure out how to vegan-ize them!). Seriously, these look amazing and are something I don’t think I ever would have come up with on my own. They are being added to my list of desserts to make, along with those mint-Oreo creations you posted about a few days ago. Drool…..

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — March 6th, 2012 at 9:11 pm

They’re really not that hard to veganize. Did you know that Oreos are “accidentally vegan”? Google that and a list will pop up. Same with Ritz crackers. Other than that, just make vegan brownies and vegan cream cheese frosting or vegan buttercream/earthbalance frosting and you’re there. Really an easy one to veganize!

• Patricia replied: — March 7th, 2012 at 4:32 pm

Oh yes, I know Oreos are veagn (at least most flavors are). When I first became a vegan (1995), they were not vegan; I think they had whey or something in them. A few years ago the recipe changed and they are now vegan. It was wonderful to be able to re-introduce such a mainstream snack back into my life :)
        I think this recipe will be reasonably easy to veganize, as you say; I can make vegan brownies and frosting without a problem. I’m not so sure about how to veganize the minty brownies you made, but I might try making them using whipped silken tofu as a base for the filling (there is nowhere near me that sells vegan marshmellow or fluff…..even our Whole Foods, which is an hour away, doesn’t have either one – grr!). I think silken tofu + confectioners’ sugar/maple or agave syrup + a little oil, in the blender for a few minutes, might do the trick. I’ll try it, at least!
        By the way, I LOVE your blog. I stumbled across it months ago and tried your vegan minty-chocolate bars and I’ve been hooked ever since.

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — March 7th, 2012 at 5:13 pm

you could probably make a really thick and sweetened/mint version of cashew cream for the green part.

Thanks for reading and sticking around!

Tracy @ Commit to Fit — March 6, 2012 at 5:39 pm

I love Oreos! These look so good. They just made it to the top of my baking list. :)

Pure2raw twins — March 6, 2012 at 5:58 pm

drooling over here…these oreo brownies look amazing!!

Shira — March 6, 2012 at 6:24 pm

These look awesome! I love Oreo’s and had exactly 3 in my school lunches each day ages 6-16/17 or alternately 3 Fudgeeo’s (are these Canadian? they are so amazingly good.. I like ‘em better than Oreo’s, actually!!…and now i am seriously craving them :) I also in recent years have been all about Golden Oreos!!! SO yummy and vanilla-ey. I’m a packaged cookie fan!!
    Oh and i break it in 2, eat one half sandwich style and do the licking then dunking with the other half. And then on to the next one (..or two, or three..)

Tracey — March 6, 2012 at 6:39 pm

I love these Averie! I still have some leftovers after making my ice cream and brownies are definitely a good way to use the rest up, especially when there’s vanilla buttercream involved too!

Liz (Little Bitty Bakes) — March 6, 2012 at 7:02 pm

Thank you for the mention, Averie! The brownies you did look awesome. If only we could have had a little swap party :)

Funny, I told my mom, I wish I could bottle up the birthday cake Oreo smell in a fun lotion or something. It’s so yummy!

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — March 6th, 2012 at 9:02 pm

There’s a body spray I have that is called Marshmallow Frosting or Whipped Frosting…I get it at Rite-Aid. It pretty much smells like cake batter and I love it :) Victoria’s Secret makes one, too, in their Candy Baby line of scents (they separate into “oil” and “water” until you shake them…they’re a cotton candy one or similar that’s pretty close to cake batter!)

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — March 6, 2012 at 8:27 pm

Wow – that is quite the title and recipe :-) Looks good! I like oreos only if they are baked into something or dipped in milk so they get a bit soggy.

Michele Sparrow — March 6, 2012 at 8:32 pm

Oh yes please! Those look incredibly SWEET!!! So, when I was a teenager, I would grab an entire box of Oreos (sometimes the grasshopper ones – ever seen those? Are they even around anymore?) and eat the whole thing while mowing the lawn! It was one of those riding lawnmowers! Ahhhh…the teenage years! Haha! :-)

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — March 6th, 2012 at 8:58 pm

Ok they’re sweet but they’re more rich, heavy, decadent than sweet.

Mowing the lawn..omg memories. I would drink Mountain Dew and listen to my Walkman.

Sara @MasPublicHealth — March 6, 2012 at 10:22 pm

What a work of art – these look beautiful – begging to be “Pinned.”

Sally @ Spontaneous Hausfrau — March 7, 2012 at 3:25 am

I’ve yet to try to oreos stuffed in a brownie thing for fear of passing out from immediate ecstacy. Adding frosting and funfetti? I’ll definitely need a team standing by to revive me and feed me more.

beti — March 7, 2012 at 8:19 pm

this is something amazing! a whole new level but still delicious looking

Cindy — March 8, 2012 at 8:51 am

mmmmmmmmm I’m dying to go home and bake now.

I did brownies last week for some friends but they were just plain ole ones.

OH MY!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — March 8th, 2012 at 9:45 am

Stuff a few cookies in your next batch of brownies…everyone will go ga-ga!

Tracy — March 8, 2012 at 9:07 am

I just bought these oreo’s yesterday and they are so good! I agree that the cake like smell is slightly more than the actual flavor in the filling, but I could definitely tell the difference. While I wasn’t paying attention my fiance ate most of the package so it looks like I will have to purchase another package to make these brownies, lol.

Angela — March 8, 2012 at 11:38 am

Long before cookies & cream ice cream, I was breaking up my oreos & mixing them with vanilla ice cream as often as my mother would let me! Though I don’t do that anymore, I still enjoy the occasional oreo every now & then. But I will try this recipe :-)

Jill @ KitchenFunWithMy3Sons — March 9, 2012 at 5:51 am

Love this! Just posted our Kitchen Fun and Crafty Friday link party…would LOVE for you to share this! http://kitchenfunwithmy3sons.blogspot.com/2012/03/kitchen-fun-and-crafty-friday-link_08.html

Deborah — March 12, 2012 at 8:17 pm

I have loved seeing all of these Oreo birthday treats. Yours look especially delicious!

BakingMeHungry — March 14, 2012 at 6:25 pm

Thanks for the inspiration! We are going to make these right away. So colorful and fun.

Colleen — January 22, 2014 at 5:11 pm

I know this is an old blog post but these look AMAZING and I’m going to make them for Superbowl! I used these birthday cake Oreos to make Oreo pops for my son’s birthday a few weeks ago and they were a huge hit! Thanks for the idea!

• Averie Sunshine replied: — January 22nd, 2014 at 9:22 pm

Enjoy them! They were super good and I know will be a hit at your party!

Julie Blanner — July 8, 2014 at 8:02 am

YUMM!! These look heavenly! Looks like a great recipe!

Freya — October 12, 2014 at 3:19 pm

I have diabetes already LOL looks great, gonna have to try it for sure