Bake Sale Goodies

I spent today getting my goodies ready for the charity bake sale.

I had a bit of a conundrum about what to make.

But decided on White and Dark Chocolate Cream Cheese Chocolate Cake Bars

Making, mixing, baking, wrapping, labeling, and bagging them all up took a bit of time.

After wrapping and labeling two dozen bars, I can say definitely I’ll never open a bakery. God Bless anyone who has the patience!

But for a bake sale, not a biggie. I just hope they sell.

If you’re going to be in the San Diego area on Saturday, stop by our bake sale.

More details were included in this post about nationwide bake sales that may be going on in your area so you can support the bakers and the kids in your little corner of the world.

Have you ever participated in a bake sale? Either by donating or purchasing some of the goodies for sale?

Last year I donated to this same No Kid Hungry Bake Sale that Gaby started and over the years of blogging, there have been other auctions I’ve participated in.

The best part of any bake sale is sampling what everyone made. All those homemade treats make me weak in the knees. And very happy. Homemade is the best.

Thanks for the Purefit Nutrition Bars Giveaway entries

64 Responses to “Bake Sale Goodies”

katie @ KatieDid — April 25, 2012 at 6:57 pm

ohh looks like a fun event for the weekend, can’t wait to see pics and hear about it! I also have a bake sale to cook for this weekend but its for my skating team and our last show. Not sure what I’ll be making yet though.

Louise@ Los Angeles Criminal Attorney — April 25, 2012 at 7:34 pm

What a noble act! A helping hand can go a long! I’m glad that you are helping others through your talent. You are a great role model for the young!

Deborah — April 25, 2012 at 7:35 pm

Wish I was closer so I could go buy up some of those goodies!!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — April 25th, 2012 at 8:40 pm

I wish you were closer so we could talk shop and hang out!! :)

jojo — April 25, 2012 at 8:24 pm

The only bake sale I’ve done is back when I was an undergrad, and did it for the student organization I was in:) I didn’t have time to “really bake” so I resorted in a boxed cupcakes… Yours look wonderful!

Katie — April 25, 2012 at 8:32 pm

I remember bake sales going on almost constantly when I was a kid – at school, church, my sister’s gymnastics club, the y, everywhere! I don’t see them as often anymore though. Too bad, because there are usually some great finds!

I was more of a purchaser than a baker back then, but i think the roles would reverse now. If I ever got a chance to enter one, I’d be into it for sure.

Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers — April 25, 2012 at 8:37 pm

They’ll sell no problem. I was going to join the baked goods sale but I got way to busy. Maybe next year!

Marina@Picnic at Marina — April 25, 2012 at 8:43 pm

We had many bake sales when kids were in elementary school and a little when they were in middle school. I remember baking about 60 cookies from scratch for the event, it was quite a work. I know how you feel, Averie. But it’s for a good cause, and it always lifts my spirit…:)

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — April 25th, 2012 at 8:54 pm

Giving back and actually doing something, participating, it does take effort but as you said, worth it!

j3nn — April 25, 2012 at 9:22 pm

I wish I was in Cali, I’d buy all of your cream cheese cake bars!! And them eat them… By myself. :D

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — April 25th, 2012 at 10:09 pm

I wish you lived closer; we could cook together. Or I could pawn off stuff on you! I don’t “need” a 9 x 13 pan of bars and 2 dozens cookies multiple times per week :)

Shawn @ I Wash...You Dry — April 25, 2012 at 9:26 pm

Oh Man!! I wish it was next weekend that you were having the sale! I will be in Cali for Camp Blogaway. It’s in Big Bear, but I’d sneak away to get me some of those! Yummy!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — April 25th, 2012 at 10:08 pm

Oh wow, have fun at Camp! I’ve heard great things about it!

Michele Sparrow — April 25, 2012 at 9:39 pm

Dude! WHO would NOT buy a bake sale item that has nine words in its title, AKA white and dark chocolate cream cheese chocolate cake bars!! I mean, goodness, you don’t even have to SEE them to want to buy the whole lot! :-)

I can tell you this, if I was there, I might just very well buy all of yours. I am not even kidding. Good luck with that! I’m sure it will be great! :-)

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — April 25th, 2012 at 10:08 pm

Awww, you are so sweet! I would love to have a baking date with you one day. We could have so much fun!

• Michele Sparrow replied: — April 25th, 2012 at 10:30 pm

Wouldn’t we, though!!

Jessica — April 25, 2012 at 10:16 pm

OMGee. I seriously NEED to come to your bakesale!

Melissa (Better Fit) — April 26, 2012 at 2:03 am

Wow- if your squares don’t sell out I’ll be shocked! :)

My charity world career means that I used to work in a huge office building filled with charities. There was a bake sale pretty much every week when I worked there and it was the perfect afternoon tea break!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — April 26th, 2012 at 7:24 am

I wish every corporate office building had bake sale goodies for breaktime…how awesome is that!

Kathryn — April 26, 2012 at 2:17 am

I wish I was coming to your bake sale!

Liz (Little Bitty Bakes) — April 26, 2012 at 3:03 am

I love bake sales! I should do one next year… BTW, those brownies look phenomenal, whoever buys them is a lucky duck :)

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — April 26th, 2012 at 7:23 am

You totally should see if there’s one in your area and join up with it!

Sara Dane — April 26, 2012 at 3:50 am

Just found your blog and I know have a “blog crush”! I can’t wait to try all of your recipes – especially the Vegan and raw ones!!

Heather @ Health, Happiness, and Hope — April 26, 2012 at 4:02 am

Hahahha, I would never be able to work at a bakery… their hours are horrible too! I totally understand it’s worth it for something you’re passionate about, but that’s some major dedication.

I’m sure those bars will go over like crazy! :)

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — April 26th, 2012 at 7:23 am

Yes major dedication is right! The baking is only half of it; getting it all assembled and packaged up and ready for purchase is a time-consuming project!

Nicole — April 26, 2012 at 4:07 am

I have pipe dreams of opening a bakery but know that the charm of baking at 3am would wear off after about a day!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — April 26th, 2012 at 7:22 am

It’s not the baking; it’s the assembly line getting it ready stuff other than the baking that was the real time-consuming part for me. Obviously in a commercial bakery you have the right equipment for the job so it’s probably easier.

Heather (Where's the Beach) — April 26, 2012 at 5:20 am

I guess the only bake sale was from when I was in elementary school. I think I did a cake walk to win one LOL. I have no doubt those bars are going to be a huge hit!!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — April 26th, 2012 at 7:21 am

I think I used to do a cake walk per week when I was growing up. So many bake sales all the time!

Alex@Spoonful of Sugar Free — April 26, 2012 at 5:33 am

They look so adorable all individually packaged :D Good luck!!! I’m sure they will sell out fast.

Christine (The Raw Project) — April 26, 2012 at 5:59 am

Great job and so awesome that you’re participating in the bake sale! I’ve participated in other charity events, but not a bake sale yet.

Bianca @ Confessions of a Chocoholic — April 26, 2012 at 7:42 am

As much as I love to bake, I’ve never actually participated in a bake sale (but I’ve bought some things, not just baked them myself). But if I find one soon I’ll want to try it out :)

Sally @ sallys baking addiction — April 26, 2012 at 8:36 am

SO glad you went with those Averie. random thought… sometimes i want to send my bars/brownies to friends through the mail but can never find the best way to wrap them! your bars look so cute all wrapped up! i need to make those soon. :)

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — April 26th, 2012 at 10:14 am

I used Press & Seal ClingWrap. There are plastic clam-shell cases that bakeries put a slice of cake in, or those in-grocery-store-bakery items like 1 piece of carrot cake or 1 piece of chocolate cake that they use, and those would probably be good for mailing, too, but for this, I kept it real basic :)

Erin @ Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts — April 26, 2012 at 9:19 am

Those bars look great, they will sell quickly I am sure!

Catalina @ Cake with Love — April 26, 2012 at 9:32 am

wow this bars look fabulous, worth every calorie!!! I would eat the whole pan by myself probab;y, no portion control around such good things!

deirdre — April 26, 2012 at 9:33 am

What a great cause! And great way to promote! The extent of my bakesale experience is for school fundraisers…whoever buys those bars are in for a treat!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — April 26th, 2012 at 10:12 am

The money is going to kids..and as a mom, that’s the most important thing to me, period.

Ashley @ Wishes and Dishes — April 26, 2012 at 9:56 am

Oooo can I please come to this bake sale? :) Those cream cheese chocolate cake bars are totally tempting me right now!

jackie @ marin mama cooks — April 26, 2012 at 9:59 am

Hi Averie. How sweet of you to do this. I am sure you sold out of all your bars.

I have done numerous bake sales for school events and it’s always fun because kids are not picky when it comes to sweets. I have noticed though that the big cookies, brownies and cupcakes are the first to go.
    Have a great day:)

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — April 26th, 2012 at 10:11 am

We shall see on Saturday. It’s all on ice right now being well-chilled til then :)

It’s the gooey and choclatey stuff that I always notice is first to go, too!

Amber K — April 26, 2012 at 10:12 am

It’s hard for me to trust bake sale stuff even if people assure me it doesn’t contain a certain item, I never know how conscious they are about cross contamination in their kitchen. But I love looking at the yummy goodies!

Paula — April 26, 2012 at 10:27 am

Good luck at the bake sale–I have no doubt the bars will be delicious. I haven’t participated in a bake sale in at least 25 years–but I love going to them!

J @ ... semplicemente j ... — April 26, 2012 at 5:03 pm

How many are you making? Great choice!

zombiesgirl — April 26, 2012 at 5:04 pm

I’ve always wanted to bake for a bake sale, they just haven’t come my way, :( These look amazing, and I love the labels!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — April 26th, 2012 at 9:04 pm

Start one or join in next year with the links I gave about starting a chapter in your area!

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — April 26, 2012 at 9:25 pm

I have purchased stuff from a bake sale before :-) Usually savoury things.

Lisa — April 27, 2012 at 7:06 am

I facebook ‘liked’ you!! :)

Lisa — April 27, 2012 at 7:07 am

My favorite bar is Larabar, cherry pie flavor! When I have time I love to make my own granola bars with peanut butter and mini chocolate chips. They never seem to last long!

Katrina @ In Katrina's Kitchen — April 27, 2012 at 11:28 am

I would buy a few of these up for sure!! They would be among the first to be in my belly :) xoxo- K

Betty @ Bake Sale Flyers — April 27, 2012 at 1:09 pm

That’s a really good idea to write labels on the food when you can’t see what’s in your package. These look super delicious! I’m sure you’ll sell out!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — April 27th, 2012 at 9:58 pm

I find the Press ‘n Seal Clingwrap stays shut better than regular cling wrap but the downside is that it’s a bit opaque and I had to label the price anyway, so I wrote it out. Not rocket science, but it worked.

sippitysup — April 30, 2012 at 12:20 pm

I am sure these were a huge hit at the bake sale. It was terrific meeting you. GREG