Rainbow Recipes

Here’s my take on the Rainbow and some recipes showcasing each color:

Red

Cranberry & Orange Ginger Mango Chutney

Salsa & Cheezey Baked Beans & Vegetables (vegan, GF)

Stovetop Hot Pepper Jelly

Raw Taco Nut “Meat” (vegan, GF) – One of the best raw vegan recipes in my entire archives and it takes 30 seconds to make. Use it in wraps, over salads, or eat by itself.

30 seconds later

Orange

Orange PushUp Smoothie (GF with vegan option)

“Spicy Doritos” Cheezy Dip (vegan, GF)

Caramel Pumpkin Whip Dip (GF)

Sweet Potato Graham Cracker “French Toast” Sticks

Yellow

Creamy Cookie Butter White Chocolate Banana Smoothie

Pineapple Banana and Coconut Cream Smoothie

Peach Banana Colada Smoothie

Green

Avocado, Cream Cheese, and Salsa-Stuffed Puff Pastries (with a vegan option)

Cheater’s Guacamole (Vegan, GF) – 3 minute recipe

Tempeh and Cucumbers on a Stick with Brown Sugar Balsamic Reduction Dip (Vegan, GF option)

Raw Pasta Salad with Creamy Lemon & Herb Dressing (Raw, Vegan, GF)

Cheezy Kale Chips (Raw, Vegan, GF) – Bake them if you don’t have a dehydrator

Spicy Baked Eggs and Hash Brown Casserole (GF)

Vanilla Avocado Banana Smoothie in a Bowl

Vanilla Avocado Banana Ice Cream (Raw, Vegan, GF) – You cannot “taste” the avocado. Trust me on this one; rich, creamy, sweet, and very ice cream-like.

Blue

Ginger Roasted Tri-Color Potatoes

Microwave Blueberry Banana Oat Cakes (vegan, GF)

Indigo

Blueberry Streusel Muffins (vegan, GF)

Violet

Purple Rain Smoothie

Blueberry Banana Recovery Smoothie

What’s your favorite color of the rainbow to eat?

Feel free to link up any great, rainbow bright and colorful recipes you make. I love rich, intense, and vibrant-colored food.

Thanks for the Purefit Nutrition Bars Giveaway entries

Have a great weekend!

49 Responses to “Rainbow Recipes”

CJ at Food Stories — April 27, 2012 at 8:38 am

Love the cheezy dip. A few years back, I went raw vegan for about three months and cheese was my biggest issue. I was living in the San Francisco Bay area and found this great cashew cheese sauce at Cafe Gratitude that was absolutely the bomb. I tried several recipes but was never able to successfully replicate it; however, I did taste some good cheeze dip during my trials. Thx for the stroll down memory lane!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — April 27th, 2012 at 12:08 pm

Fun story and Cafe Gratitude is awesome. Love that place, too!

Cassie — April 27, 2012 at 8:39 am

What a roundup…I love colorful food! I think red is probably my favorite color to eat. At least today it is, strawberries are so good right now!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — April 27th, 2012 at 12:08 pm

Strawberries and raspberries – can’t go wrong.

But really, I keep thinking about your cookies from earlier!

Heather (Where's the Beach) — April 27, 2012 at 8:41 am

Love seeing all these colors – I think the greens and yellows are my fave to look at. That and when you do pinks. They always look so vibrant. As for favorite color to eat…probably green.

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — April 27th, 2012 at 12:08 pm

I wish Pink was an official rainbow color or I would have used it!

Meagan @ Scarletta Bakes — April 27, 2012 at 8:41 am

Favorite color of the rainbow to eat = green, as in guacamole

Favorite color from this post = lavender, as in Blueberry Banana Recovery Shake

First color that made me drool today = orange, as in Spicy Doritos Cheezy Dip

Never heard of Nooch before, but it will be happening in my kitchen SOON.

Julie — April 27, 2012 at 9:04 am

I eat lots of greens, but I love the red visuals!

vanillasugarblog — April 27, 2012 at 9:20 am

have a wonderful weekend!
    love that stovetop pepper jelly!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — April 27th, 2012 at 12:05 pm

I hope you try it one of these days..so many recipes, so little time, I know!

Jessica @ Dairy Free Betty — April 27, 2012 at 9:35 am

Fun post!! Your photography and food is just so beautiful!

deirdre — April 27, 2012 at 9:40 am

The avocado banana ice cream sounds good right about now…all of these recipes seem more likely for me to make than one of those rainbow cakes I keep seeing, want to make, but am afraid will turn into some kind of blob.

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — April 27th, 2012 at 12:05 pm

I havent tried my hand at true rainbow baking because I fear the colors will run together and create a black blob, too!

Amber K — April 27, 2012 at 9:46 am

I prefer recipes with multiple colors, they are so pretty!

Sam @ Fit for My Fork — April 27, 2012 at 9:52 am

I love this post! I’ve heard before how important it is to eat things (fruit and vegetables, mostly, I think) of every colour to get a good balance in your life/diet (and probably to keep from being bored!) – if I could eat all of these things to accomplish that I’d be pretty darn happy!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — April 27th, 2012 at 12:04 pm

My grandma who lived to be 90 always encouraged the rainbow-foods approach to eating. And she also ate or baked cookies or desserts or bread almost every day, too!

Jacqueline — April 27, 2012 at 10:27 am

Rainbow smoothies in fun-size glasses! Perfect for appetizers or a little refreshment by the pool!

Paula — April 27, 2012 at 10:28 am

Love the rainbow theme of the recipe round up! It’s hard to pick a favorite color to eat, but my impulse answer is red because it’s probably my favorite color. Red bell peppers and apples come to mind.

Katie — April 27, 2012 at 10:48 am

I haven’t made these yet, but they are on the agenda for my SIL’s wedding shower – rainbow jello shots (near the bottom of the post).

Erica — April 27, 2012 at 10:48 am

Food can be so darn pretty! I still need to try that Sweet Potato Graham Cracker “French Toast” Sticks!!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — April 27th, 2012 at 12:03 pm

Knowing your love of sweet potatoes, I think you need to make them :) For Kay, of course :)

Andrea Drugay — April 27, 2012 at 11:35 am

Oh, what a great idea and fun post! Eat the rainbow! :-D

Alex@Spoonful of Sugar Free — April 27, 2012 at 12:38 pm

I love orange foods!!! Sweet taters, carrots, and mango!

Brandon @ Kitchen Konfidence — April 27, 2012 at 1:04 pm

A very pretty roundup! Picking one color is difficult. I make tomato sauce frequently, so perhaps red. But I also really love citrus, so maybe yellow or orange? And who could forget about green?! Arugula, ramps, butter lettuce, avocado, green tomatoes, asparagus, limes. The choices!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — April 27th, 2012 at 9:58 pm

You have amazing looking red sauce and green food recipes…if there was a clear for the infusions, that’s your specialty :)

katie @ KatieDid — April 27, 2012 at 1:20 pm

lately its all been green, yellow and orange for me. kale, brussels, sweet potatoes, and eggs!

Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit — April 27, 2012 at 1:47 pm

Yum! Violet was my favorite group. I just love my purples!
    Thinking of all the colors I ate today, I think I’m having a yellow day – bananas, pineapple, turmeric rice, yam, eggs.

Anna @ On Anna's Plate — April 27, 2012 at 3:09 pm

Makes me want to taste the rainbow… :-)

Ellen — April 27, 2012 at 6:12 pm
    Ellen — April 27, 2012 at 6:16 pm

Well, the springtime pumpkin week I’ve been doing on Scrumptious Gruel has been delightfully orange, but I am a huge fan of purple, an realized I think I only have this lavender concoction:
    And Okinawa purple sweet potatoes: https://scrumptiousgruel.wordpress.com/2011/12/18/purple-ftw/
    To represent this love, so I better get cracking on some new purple dishes. I really liked this post, it’s fun I have multicolored foods…

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — April 27th, 2012 at 9:56 pm

I love purple foods…and I hope you find a few purple treasures!

Paula — April 27, 2012 at 7:15 pm

I made some compost cookies today. Oats, mini Andes and Hershey bars, leftover crushed up sugar cookies, and a package of almonds and crunchy noodle things that came in a salad kit. Kinda sounds horrific but….they’re good and I had fun cleaning out my pantry!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — April 27th, 2012 at 9:56 pm

Sounds like a very productive pantry cleanout! Did you use the overall dough base that I gave in this recipe or did you make another dough? How big did you portion them, i.e. 1/3 cup of dough per cookie like the compost cookie recipe or a more modest amount? Would love to know what dough recipe you used and if it was mine, thoughts?

• Paula replied: — April 28th, 2012 at 5:06 am

Ok–here is the lowdown. I followed your recipe almost exactly. I didn’t have any karo so I don’t know how that may have affected the dough. I made 14 cookies and I only did the 1 hr min. refrigeration. I also shortened the baking time to approx 12-13 min since they were smaller–I just kept an eye on the edges. Next time I try it, I’ll refrigerate at least overnight and make sure I have some karo to add and see if there is any difference.

Michele Sparrow — April 27, 2012 at 10:11 pm

This is a fascinating question and one that I haven’t really considered when I am choosing what I want to eat. That is, what colors do I crave? But when I think about it, I go for:

1) Green: love me my green smoothie, zucchini pasta, kale chips and salad of any kind
    2) White: coconut water (frozen, of course), anything white chocolate
    3) Blue: blueberries in muffins, oatmeal, bread, pancakes
    4) Red: tomatoes, sliced up or over my zucchini pasta, strawberry jam or fresh
    5) Yellow: banana bread, muffins, pancakes, ice cream and NOOCH! :-)

Now I am craving one of these:

Yes, please! :-)

Sara — April 28, 2012 at 1:45 am

I like .. erm.. brown things. Chocolate, nut butter. Does that count?

jojo — April 28, 2012 at 10:54 am

I love all the colors!!!
    I like having green, it looks refreshing and beautiful. And it’s usually good for you :) The smoothie looks amazing… :P

Catalina @ Cake with Love — April 28, 2012 at 12:18 pm

So many great recipes to choose from, I will probably start with the kale chips!

Marina@Picnic at Marina — April 28, 2012 at 2:08 pm

Averie, those colors talk Summer to me! Brilliant! I was thinking of you when I made some spicy jam, come see it. :)

lindsay — April 29, 2012 at 4:32 am

love the rainbow! i still need to try that faux taco meat! i drool everytime you post it.

Deborah — April 30, 2012 at 9:09 am

This makes me want to eat every color of the rainbow!!

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — April 30, 2012 at 8:57 pm

Green is my favourite colour to eat!