15 Gift Ideas Under $25 for Mother’s Day

Mother’s Day is coming up and although your mom would probably love one of these, it may not be in gift your budget this year.

Instead, here are some gift ideas for the mom who likes to cook and spend time in the kitchen.

Everything is under $25 so it won’t break your piggy bank, either.

1. Immersion Blender – $16.99. Not the fanciest stick blender on the block, but it’ll get the job done and for the price, a steal.

2. Whoopie Pie Pan – $19.99

Perfect for making deep dish chocolate chip cookies

3. Silpat liners – $24.95 at Williams Sonoma

Or $19.99 at Bed Bath & Beyond

I cannot say enough good things about how these have positively changed the results of my baking. Period.

4. Cookie scoop – $3.99 at Bed Bath & Beyond. This scoop has tremendously helped my cookie baking and I much prefer this scoop to any of the metal “ice cream” release-style scoops that are fancier, but that seem to get much more dough caught in them than actually releasing onto the baking sheet.

5. Stainless Steel Measuring Spoons – $19.99

6. Kitchen Queen Measuring Spoons – $14.99 Perfect for your queen.

7. Kitten Measuring Cups & Bowls – $22.42

Includes 4 ceramic bowls: 1/4 cup, 1/3 cup, 1/2 cup, 1 cup

8. Two Peas in a Pod Salt & Pepper Shaker Set – $17.34

Magnetic to keep them in place

9. Castle Key Bottle Opener- $12.00

Open a bottle to make this

10. Silicone Magic Twisty Whisk – $8.00

11. Butterfly 19-ounce Ceramic Travel Mug with Lid – $9.99

12. Culinary Institute of America Maple Wood Spoons – $12.99

13. Digital Kitchen Scale – $19.99

14. Set of 8 mini-bowls – $20

The perfect size for a single scoop of ice cream, a palm full of almonds or the table- and teaspoon’s worth of ingredients needed to complete your favorite recipe.

15. Set of 3 Silicone Spatulas – $9.99

If someone was to bake for me, the three things I’d most like to eat are:

1. Bars: Coconut Peanut Butter Magic Cake Bars

2. Cookies: Peanut Butter Oatmeal White Chocolate Chip Cookies

3. Chocolate: Oreo Cookie-Stuffed Brownies with Vanilla Buttercream Frosting

What are you doing for Mother’s Day?

Who are the special mothers you be honoring and how?

My mom lives in Minnesota and my sister, who has one daughter and is pregnant with her second baby, lives in Chicago, and unfortunately I won’t be spending the day with them since I’m in San Diego.

I’ll be spending the day with Scott and Skylar and we will probably keep it very low key.

I don’t need or desire flowers, gifts, cards, breakfast in bed or anything “traditionally Mother’s Day”. My requests are along the lines of no laundry to fold or dishes to do and if I can carve out a little time to read and maybe get a nice power walk in with my family, I’ll be thrilled. Simple stuff.

If you have any great gift ideas, feel free to link them up in the comments.

Happy Mother’s Day to all the moms!

Special K Bars Granola Bars Giveaway ends tomorrow

63 Responses to “15 Gift Ideas Under $25 for Mother’s Day”

Sally @ sallys baking addiction — May 7, 2012 at 3:18 am

I still have to break in my whoopie pie pan! Can you believe I got it for valentine’s day and STILL haven’t used it?? I need to get my act together. :)

Happy early Mother’s Day Averie!

Heather @ Health, Happiness, and Hope — May 7, 2012 at 3:30 am

My mom was always the same… we never did gifts, but she requested 3 red roses that my dad bought (for us 3 kids) and not having to do any cooking, cleaning, etc. that day. Simple was best!

Kris @ www.kris-lawrence.com — May 7, 2012 at 4:05 am

My mother is a chef so these ideas are GREAT. I’m thinking she would love any of them but I’ve especially never seen the whoopie pie pan before. Thanks for the ideas!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — May 7th, 2012 at 7:41 am

Oh it’s such a fun little pan and they have them typically at BB & Beyond’s, too.

Rachel Cooks — May 7, 2012 at 5:01 am

Fun finds! Love the bottle opener. I hope you have a very happy Mother’s Day, Averie!

Heather (Where's the Beach) — May 7, 2012 at 5:33 am

Love the wood spoons. My sister and I usually take my mom out to lunch then we do a little shopping together. Just a nice, relaxing day together.

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — May 7th, 2012 at 7:40 am

I seem to remember some of your posts about mother’s days in past years doing just that!

katie @ KatieDid — May 7, 2012 at 6:24 am

I didn’t know you were an aunt, very cool! It must be tough living so far away from family. I won’t be with my Mom either but sending flowers her way!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — May 7th, 2012 at 7:40 am

Yes it can be hard but that’s what phone and email is for, right!

marla — May 7, 2012 at 6:33 am

Great gift ideas Averie!! I’ll take that bright cherry red mixer!!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — May 7th, 2012 at 7:40 am

That falls in the *over* $25 category :)

Happy Mother’s Day!

Catalina @ Cake with Love — May 7, 2012 at 6:49 am

So many good ideas, thanks for the inspiration!! Those deep dish cookies look amazing!

Tracy — May 7, 2012 at 7:19 am

I love some of those gift idea’s so much I think I might buy a couple for myself!

For mothers day I am taking my mom out to dinner at an organic restaruant/juice bar that I recently discovered and buying her a glass straw from http://www.glassdharma.com. I won one of their straws recently for their earth day contest and my mom was very jealous. I think it will be perfect!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — May 7th, 2012 at 7:39 am

I started using glass dharma straws about 5 years or so ago..love them and that’s all I ever use anymore!

Ali @ Gimme Some Oven — May 7, 2012 at 7:24 am

Such a great list! I still need to buy that whoopie pie pan — those deep dish cookies look too fun!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — May 7th, 2012 at 7:38 am

They have them at BB & Beyond usually too if you just “have to” run out and buy one, asap :)

Rachel @ The Avid Appetite — May 7, 2012 at 7:50 am

Love this list. I have NO idea what to get my mom…I feel like she has everything already :) I will need to get creative this year. Crushing on those Anthro bowls for me though!

jackie @ marin mama cooks — May 7, 2012 at 8:34 am

Great list Averie. I actually see three items that I need add to my kitchen. The scale I’m thinking is a must as some recipes call for such precise ingredients that it just helps to have a scale. Also, I think that cookie scoop is a great call as my batter tends to get caught up in my metal scoop all the time.

I tend to use parchment paper for baking so I am curious what advantgage the silpat has over parchment paper? What does it exactly do that is better? I’m curious as I see recipes that either call for this item or parchment paper and I was wondering if there was truly a difference.

Sadly, I have not found my kitchen aid to be any better than my handy dandy hand mixer. My kitchen aid does not get to the stuff on the bottom of the bowl if I am making something like a frosting and it sprays flour everywhere. I find I have to keep scraping the sides and bottom to get it to mix properly and it’s almost easier to use my hand held. Maybe it’s because my kitchen aid is 15 years old? Anyway, I want to love it because I love that it can be mixing away while I am getting other ingredients together but so far it has not blown me away. Still, I will keep trying it!

Have a great Monday Averie!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — May 7th, 2012 at 9:08 am

you need this for the scraping issue; it handles that for you, the bits on the bottom OR get your machine calibrated or repositioned to be just slightly higher

read about silpats on their sites but the material allows food to “grip” onto it so for cookies, they will spread less than they will on parchment or an unlined tray which is smooth. Food has nothing to “grip” so it spreads more. For $20 bucks, try it. You will LOVE IT!

• jackie @ marin mama cooks replied: — May 8th, 2012 at 6:37 am

Thanks for the suggestions and links Averie. I will definitely look into the attachment for the scraping issue.

CJ at Food Stories — May 7, 2012 at 9:14 am

Great gift ideas … I love the cat measuring cups :-)

Erica — May 7, 2012 at 9:22 am

Great list! I want one of those silpats. I can’t believe I don’t have one yet!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — May 7th, 2012 at 10:23 am

girl it will revolutionize your cookie results, i.e less spreading

claire @ the realistic nutritionist — May 7, 2012 at 9:26 am

This is a great roundup!!!

Anna @ The Guiltless Life — May 7, 2012 at 10:41 am

This is a GREAT list Averie, thank you! The ceramic bowls caught my eye but for function I would love to finally get a Silpat – and if you bake something for her in advance than it’s kinda a double gift, right? Erm…I think that’s just me wanting to use the Silpat myself haha ;)

Tiff @ Love Sweat and Beers — May 7, 2012 at 10:51 am

I already wanted an immersion blender, but after seeing this post, now I want cookies too! haha

Amber K — May 7, 2012 at 10:55 am

Okay that two peas in a pod salt and pepper shaker is the cutest thing ever!

Kiran @ KiranTarun.com — May 7, 2012 at 12:41 pm

I love your foodie gift ideas for Mom!! Silpats are a necessity in any baker’s life :D

Katie — May 7, 2012 at 1:05 pm

Silpats aren’t optional anymore. I have that exact scale – one at work, one at home. Love it for everything. Best $20 I’ve spent on a cheap foodie tool.

I tried to blend soup with my immersion blender a few weeks ago and it just wasn’t happening. Since I spent about $10 on it 8-9 years ago, I’d say it has done me well. I need to upgrade though. I keep saying I don’t need one, since I have a Vita, but the clean up on the immersion is so much easier and you can just blend in the pan and be done. Love that.

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — May 7th, 2012 at 4:00 pm

Too funny about that EXACT scale, and agreed: Silpats aren’t optional anymore

Good info about immersion blender which is why I should pick one up.

Erin @ Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts — May 7, 2012 at 1:42 pm

What a great line up of ideas! I will have to sent it to my husband with a big highlight on the muffin top pan! I have been wanting one of these for awhile!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — May 7th, 2012 at 3:59 pm

It’s cheap thrills, baby. You will love it. I think they have them routinely at BB&Beyond for under $15

deirdre — May 7, 2012 at 2:06 pm

I would like one of each- PLEASE! What a great list…I may copy, paste and send in a hint, hint email. Happy Mother’s Day to you!
    ~Deirdre

Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit — May 7, 2012 at 2:38 pm

haha if I were to buy my Mom one of the kitchen gadgets, she’d re-gift it to me for Christmas and tell me to make her cookies with it instead. Definitely the baker of the family, that’s for sure!

Christine (The Raw Project) — May 7, 2012 at 2:41 pm

Great gift inspiration here! I will probably be taking my mon out for brunch and maybe a gift card, she doesn’t need or want anything currently which is nice. :-)

Christine (The Raw Project) — May 7, 2012 at 2:46 pm

Great gift inspiration here! I will probably be taking my mom out to brunch and maybe a gift card since she doesn’t want anything now while trying to downsize.

Alison @ Ingredients, Inc. — May 7, 2012 at 2:54 pm

love all of these ideas. Thank you for your sweet note during this hard time in my life

Paula — May 7, 2012 at 3:38 pm

My mom loves to play in the kitchen but she can really do a number on her pans–the silpat baking sheets would probably cut her soaking and scrubbing time waaaay down. I know I love mine! We will be travelling to San Francisco this Sunday for our anniversary vacation (16 yrs). I am really getting anxious to go!

Gena — May 7, 2012 at 4:29 pm

Great round up! I have yet to purchase silpat mats, but they’re on my list. And my immersion blender is absolutely worth its weight in gold. When I bought it, I had no idea how often I would use it!

Patricia @ thecastironvegan — May 7, 2012 at 4:49 pm

That whisk is so cute! Also, I think I’d pick the same three recipes…I love your chocolate-mint bars, but those are easy enough to make for myself so if someone else was baking for me, I’d have them make these three. You have good taste :)

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — May 7, 2012 at 8:26 pm

I love that key bottle opener!

Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen — May 7, 2012 at 9:04 pm

I’ve been wanting an immersion blender for such a long time. And I agree on those silpats, love them!

Laura @ Gluten Free Pantry — May 7, 2012 at 9:12 pm

What a great list of gifts! I need to hint to my husband that this Momma would like an immersion blender ASAP :)

j3nn — May 8, 2012 at 1:37 am

I love the kitty measuring cups!!!! All of these things are great ideas. Excellent list :)

dragonmamma/naomi — May 8, 2012 at 4:48 am

Ooh, I want those mini bowls! Are they slightly larger or deeper than a standard mini pyrex bowl?

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — May 8th, 2012 at 7:46 am

Not sure since I haven’t seen them in person either, just online.

Angela / Canned Time — May 8, 2012 at 11:58 am

Your gift request for Mother’s Day is exactly what I’ve requested for every birthday now. NO Housework! I told my husband, ” Don’t spend $200 on something you ‘think’ I might want. Do the dishes or laundry without my suggesting it or something like that!” It amazes me what men take for grandtide in life. I can’t imagine what it’s like not to have to worry about whether I’ll have clean clothes or what to cook?
    Crazy! Hope you have the best Mother’s Day what ever they both do for you though, Sklar is a lucky little girl! :)

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — May 8th, 2012 at 4:31 pm

Omg I love your comment. YES to everything you just said! Scott doesn’t cook, grocery shop, or do laundry. I have sort of set up my own fate b/c I just tell him to stay out of the kitchen before he breaks or burns something :) It’s easier to just do it myself, seriously. And 99% of the time I honestly don’t mind. Same with laundry. But yes… “I can’t imagine what it’s like not to have to worry about whether I’ll have clean clothes or what to cook?” — yes! :)

Robyn Stone | Add a Pinch — May 8, 2012 at 2:38 pm

What a great list, Averie! But, I especially love your gift request!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — May 8th, 2012 at 4:28 pm

YES, just to not have to deal with spilled milk, literally, that day…that’s all I want :)

Jamie | My Baking Addiction — May 9, 2012 at 3:48 pm

Great list, Averie! I’m a huge fan of whoopie pie pans!

CourtStar — May 9, 2012 at 9:04 pm

Great finds although I am drooling over the peas in the pod salt and pepper shakers so cute!!!

Tiffany — May 11, 2012 at 11:35 pm

OMG….the cat measuring cups!!!! Tooooo CUTE!!! The pea S&P are adorable as well. Good finds!!!