20 Memorial Day Party Recipes

Where has 2012 gone? It’s almost half over! But now is the time of year to kick off summer, throw a party and have friends over, and enjoy some great food and drinks.

These are all easy, no-fuss recipes that will please the party go-er’s and please the chef. Everything is no-bake or nearly no-bake and all are hassle-free.

Drinks

Peach Mango Pineapple White Sangria

Coconut Water Champagne Fruit Punch (Vegan, Gluten Free, Soy Free, No Sugar Added)

Horchata (vegan, GF)

Snacks, Sides, and Finger Food

Spinach and Artichoke Dip (no-bake, fat-free, vegan, GF)

Mango Basil Personal-Sized Tortilla Pizzas

Fresh Vegan Spring Rolls and 2-Minute Peanut Sauce

Tempeh and Cucumbers on a Stick with Brown Sugar Balsamic Reduction Dip (vegan)

Rosemary Chipotle Roasted Almonds

Sweet Corn Salsa with Mango, Lime, Red Pepper

Mini Grilled Cheese and Tomato Sandwiches

Raw Pasta Salad with Creamy Lemon & Herb Dressing (vegan, GF)

Avocado, Cream Cheese, and Salsa-Stuffed Puff Pastries

Fruit and Desserts

Watermelon dipped into Frozen Mango Banana Dip (vegan, GF) – or just eat the dip as “ice cream”

Fresh PineappleĀ  and a How to Clean a Pineapple Tutorial dipped into Raw Vegan Coconut Oil Chocolate Sauce

Strawberries and Chocolate Coconut Cashew Butter (vegan, GF)

White Chocolate Vanilla Peanut Butter Puppy Chow (GF)

Vanilla Cake Batter and White Chocolate Chip Caramel Corn

Strawberry Banana Bread

Buttery Toasted Cap’n Crunchies

Pink Lemonade Freezer Bars

Mounds Bar Chocolate Coconut Cake Mix Cookies

Do you have a favorite crowd-pleasing or party food recipe?

Link it up

Do you have Memorial Day Plans?

We don’t have any formal plans and I’m not throwing a party. We plan to stay close to home, off the roads, and enjoy the day as a family. Maybe a park, walking around our neighborhood, relaxing, and keeping it mellow.

In San Diego, there are a few holidays (Memorial Day, Fourth of July, and Labor Day) you just don’t go to the beaches. Traffic is a total mess and parking is impossible. We learned that lesson that hard way the first year we lived here and thought it would be “fun” to go to the beach for the day. Along with a half million other people. Locals, Northern Californians, half the population of Arizona, Mexico, and tourists who come here for holidays.

Keep the car in the garage, walk as much as possible, and soak in nice weather are our plans. And eat some party food, minus the party.

Have a Happy and Safe Memorial Day Weekend!

50 Responses to “20 Memorial Day Party Recipes”

Laura (Tutti Dolci) — May 22, 2012 at 9:56 pm

Great round-up, your chocolate coconut cashew butter is calling my name!

Sarah @ The Healthy Diva — May 22, 2012 at 10:10 pm

Hope you have a lovely memorial day weekend!!! Made those pizzas and they were a huge hit. Even my brother (a fruit HATER) thought they were good.

Katie — May 23, 2012 at 3:29 am

Plans? Well, hopefully I’ll be done moving boxes, which means I’ll spend the day unpacking. There will be a grill involved with dinner though. And no work allowed!

Alyssa (Down_To_Earth) — May 23, 2012 at 3:29 am

I would have a get-together, but my landlord is re-doing the roof…there will be shingles everywhere. That’s okay though, because I’m running my first 1/2 marathon on Sunday and then have plans for the beach on Monday :) I was thinking of bringing a treat to share at the beach, so you’ve given me some great ideas here.
    Hope your upcoming weekend is relaxing and filled with fun!

Paula — May 23, 2012 at 4:16 am

I will have a nice 4 day weekend with no plans to go anywhere. I’m such a homebody, but I always have a lot to do here to keep myself happily entertained and busy. As I look through your recipe round-up, I realized I haven’t tried the choc-coconut cashew butter but have been meaning to for quite some time. I have cashews on this week’s shopping list so will give it a whirl!

dragonmamma/naomi — May 23, 2012 at 4:45 am

I’ve got a new friend who likes to throw neighborhood block parties. The 1st was on Cinco de Mayo, Memorial Day will be the 2nd, and he’s already planning a 3rd for 4th of July! Good times ahead this summer. Oh, yeah, he’s got a swimming pool, too!

katie @ KatieDid — May 23, 2012 at 5:01 am

Do you still get to the beaches during the summer or do you typically stay away and save that for your time in Aruba? I’ve been to the beach in San Diego once, but can barely remember it!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — May 23rd, 2012 at 8:11 am

We go (not tons) and would love to go more! The only thing about CA beaches is that it doesn’t get “hot” here like it does on east coast beaches, i.e. Florida. 80F would be considered “hot” here right at the coast. Normally it’s in the low 70s with wind right at the beach.

Heather (Where's the Beach) — May 23, 2012 at 5:40 am

So, what time will you be over so we can make all of these goodies????

Catalina @ Cake with Love — May 23, 2012 at 6:15 am

OMG again so many delicious options that I feel lost and i want to make everything! The Sangria sounds amazing to me, and the mango and basil pizza is just perfect!

sally @ sallys baking addiction — May 23, 2012 at 8:03 am

Averie, I’m LOVING all of the recipes you suggest for Memorial Day! It’s my birthday this weekend AND my best friend is getting married!! I’m in her wedding. So, it will be a funfilled weekend. I’m making my cake batter blondies:

and a new recipe to test out on my family before putting it on the blog! Dark Chocolate Chip Raspberry Banana Bread.. it will be SO good, I’m sure!

Cassie — May 23, 2012 at 8:21 am

2012 is flying so quickly. I can’t believe it’s nearly Memorial Day. Great roundup of recipes! We are spending the weekend at home, relaxing and enjoying some great weather!

Amber K — May 23, 2012 at 9:39 am

I didn’t even realize it was coming up! lol So I guess no plans for now.

Caralyn @ glutenfreehappytummy — May 23, 2012 at 9:44 am

i can’t wait for memorial day! BBQs, family, and delicious food! Your rosemary almonds and cake batter popcorn look and sound SOO scrumptious! Thanks for the great recipes! Enjoy your long weekend!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — May 23rd, 2012 at 4:20 pm

Have a great weekend too and LMK if you make anything from this list!

Alysha @Shesontherun — May 23, 2012 at 11:22 am

We are going to a friend’s house for a small gathering – I just got a ton of new ideas – thanks!! I’m thinking the avocado, cream cheese, salsa puffs look pretty amazing!

CJ at Food Stories — May 23, 2012 at 12:10 pm

Lots of great choices here. I love the raw pasta salad :-)

Stefania@ Revitalize with Stefania — May 23, 2012 at 12:24 pm

Such a great round up of ideas! Just added vegenaise to my shopping list- always forget about it, and then I see one of your posts where you used it…

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — May 23rd, 2012 at 4:20 pm

I haven’t even bought any Vegenaise in awhile…been too busy with homemade hot mustard. Lol

Alison @ Ingredients, Inc. — May 23, 2012 at 2:54 pm

wow what a list! You rock! Happy welcome to summer weekend!

marla — May 23, 2012 at 4:50 pm

Now this is certainly a round up of 20 greats!!! Time to party!

Pure2raw twins — May 23, 2012 at 5:40 pm

can I fly out and spend the holiday weekend with you??

everything looks amazing!!

deirdre — May 23, 2012 at 5:52 pm

I could easily make a spread from these options…I love the avo-puff pastries…they look so good! And I think I’m in the mood for a big ole plate of cookies!

Christine (The Raw Project) — May 23, 2012 at 7:00 pm

So true on 2012, scary! Great recipe wrap up, thanks! We have no specific plans either for Memorial Day except enjoying the long weekend relaxing!

Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers — May 23, 2012 at 8:32 pm

I know time is flying by fast!! All your goodies look amazing and photographs are gorgeous!!

bakerbynature — May 23, 2012 at 9:11 pm

I’m surprising my sweet man with that popcorn recipe of yours this weekend – he’s been craving corn of the sweet and popped variety and it’s the perfect road trip snack! We’re (hopefully) renting a car and driving upstate for the long weekend – silence and nature sounds like bliss!

Have a great Holiday weekend!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — May 23rd, 2012 at 9:24 pm

keep me posted how he likes it! It would make a GREAT road trip snack!

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — May 23, 2012 at 9:29 pm

Wow, I can’t believe the year is almost half over … life moves waaaaaaaay too quickly!

Marina@Picnic at Marina — May 23, 2012 at 9:55 pm

That raw salad rocks, I absolutely love it! Yes I do have a party food, one of it is so popular I can never make enough, it has meat though. I made a big batch when I was babysitting two teenagers, hoping that I have enough food for them for two days… Silly me, they ate it before the sunset! :) You can see it here: http://www.picnicatmarina.com/2012/05/babysitting.html ; but , again, it has meat.

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — May 23rd, 2012 at 10:52 pm

That appetizer/snack looks like a perfect party food for the meat fans!

Michele Sparrow — May 23, 2012 at 10:10 pm

My younger sister lives very close by so we will go over there for a BBQ with all their little ones and our boys. It will be nice to hang with family and lay low. We will most definitely NOT be going out on the roads. Maneuvering through gobs of people is not my idea of fun. Gag.

Food will also be simple…as always! :-) I think I am going to make your artichoke dip. Have not made it and it looks like a yummy thing to share! Have a safe and mellow day, Averie!

luv what you do — May 24, 2012 at 4:24 am

We are hosting a Fiesta BBQ so that sangria would be perfect! I’m so excited for our grilled Taco Bar!

We just hosted a BBQ and these are some of my favorites. I always make hummus because it is a healthy crowd pleaser and a good way to fill up on veggies!

Karoliina — May 24, 2012 at 11:09 am

Well hooray for Pinterest for bringing me to your blog – and what a great blog it is! I’m practically drooling here, and seriously considering a quick trip to the nearest grocery store to get some cashews, that chocolate dip would go great with the fresh cherries I bought today. :)

I love your take on food, and I love the fact that there’s both raw & healthy and, um, more sinful stuff here. I’ll definitely be coming back for more, and more, and more!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — May 24th, 2012 at 11:44 am

So glad you found me via Pinterest! Yes, started blogging 3+ yrs ago, lots of raw/vegan, more healthy options. Present day, lots of…cookies & desserts and goodies :) Hope you stick around!

Jennifer (Delicieux) — May 24, 2012 at 9:24 pm

Wow, what an impressive round up of recipes. I can’t decide which one I like best, but the rosemary chipolte almonds and pink lemonade freezer bars are making my mouth water. I love the look of the coconut water champagne punch too. Such a pretty pink.

Baker Street — May 25, 2012 at 3:22 am

Great round up, A! I would love to start off with some Peach Mango Pineapple White Sangria!!!

Jeanette — May 25, 2012 at 2:37 pm

Averie, love this fun roundup of Memorial Day Party Recipes. Happy Memorial Day!