Cinco de Mayo Recipes

Cinco de Mayo is right around the corner.

I wish I was throwing a party, but I’m not. Darn.

I hope that you are hosting or going to a party.

Here are a few Mexican-inspired recipes, some with vintage photography and all, to jumpstart your fiesta.

Homemade Horchata (vegan, GF)

Spicy Baked Black Beans with Mixed Vegetables (vegan, GF)

“Cheater’s” Guacamole (vegan, GF)

Chipotle Salsa Lentils with Mixed Vegetables (vegan, GF)

Raw Taco Nut “Meat” Taco Salad (vegan, GF)

Fajitas with Sweet Ginger-Lime-Cumin Dipping Sauce (vegan)

Cheesy Taco Casserole

Mango Basil Personal-Sized Tortilla Pizzas

Chocolate Mexican Wedding Cookies (no-bake, vegan, GF)

Vanilla Avocado Banana “Ice Cream” (no ice cream maker required, vegan, GF)

Are you celebrating or doing anything special for Cinco de Mayo?

I’m only 11 miles from the Mexican border here in San Diego so there’s always lots of parties, fiestas, and celebrating.

We aren’t doing anything “special” but all I have to do is walk outside and the taco stands, restaurants, and bars in my neighborhood will be in full tilt this entire week leading up to Saturday.

Channel thoughts of margaritas the size of your head and lots of shirtless men wearing fiesta hats and drunken revelry. Welcome to Cinco de Mayo week.

Do you have any favorite Mexican-inspired recipes?

I’ve seen a few roundups and fun recipes including Brown Eyed Bakers 20 Recipes, Deborah’s 47 Favorites, and Maria’s Avocado Pita Pizza with Cilantro Sauce.

The winner of the Cascal Natural Soft Drink Giveaway is Lizthechef

48 Responses to “Cinco de Mayo Recipes”

Heather (Where's the Beach) — May 1, 2012 at 7:43 am

We don’t do anything special for Cinco de Mayo. I guess I made my (tex)Mex inspired dish last night and should have waited LOL

katie @ KatieDid — May 1, 2012 at 7:50 am

I still need to try a variation on that mango pizza of yours… just sounds like ther perfect combo. Mexican food is probably my second favorite cuisine. Hopefully going out for Mexican food for cinco de mayo in fact.

Erica — May 1, 2012 at 8:04 am

I can’t wait to eat chips and guacamole :) I heart tortilla chips. All of your recipes look yummy-especially the cheesy taco casserole

CJ at Food Stories — May 1, 2012 at 8:05 am

I love that bright sombrero pic!

Alex@Spoonful of Sugar Free — May 1, 2012 at 8:14 am

I don’t really do much with cinco de mayo….I might have a mexican dinner…but then again, I might not!

Amber K — May 1, 2012 at 9:19 am

Oh, I didn’t even realize that Cindo de Mayo was coming up! I’ll be eating chips, salsa, beans…..oh no wait, I’ll still be eating liquid. Dang it!

Marina@Picnic at Marina — May 1, 2012 at 10:05 am

I’d like to have a party, and may be we will have a small one, want to come?! :)
    It’s funny, I just came out from my workout and on my way back I stopped at a very good mexican store where I treated myself to a best ever doughnut! I may have to run two extra miles tomorrow, but today it feels just really good! :)

Bev Weidner — May 1, 2012 at 10:16 am

Best Holiday EVAR!

Angela@veggievinyasa — May 1, 2012 at 11:00 am

The Mexi-slaw for these tofu tacos is yummy:
    Good enough for a side dish on it’s own.
    By the way, I love your cheater’s guac. It’s so simple and delicious.

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — May 1st, 2012 at 11:31 am

Glad you love the cheater’s guac and I just checked out the tacos..yum!

Heather @ Health, Happiness, and Hope — May 1, 2012 at 11:09 am

That first veggie and bean recipe looks AMAZING. Looking into it now! :)

sally @ sallys baking addiction — May 1, 2012 at 11:12 am

I wish I was throwing a party too but i’m not either. :( oh well, at least there will be guacamole. and margaritas. a lot of margaritas :) i like to throw fresh squeezed OJ or pineapple juice into my margs. or blend one up with frozen mangos. oh boy. now i want one… margaritas on a tuesday.. why not?!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — May 1st, 2012 at 11:31 am

That sounds like a delish marg recipe. I could handle that right now :)

Kate — May 1, 2012 at 11:16 am

This year, Cinco de Mayo is my kitty’s first birthday! We’re throwing him a party–no, really. Guests bring their pets and a donation to the Humane Society! Ole!

Amy B @ Second City Randomness — May 1, 2012 at 11:31 am

We just went out on a staff lunch for mexican today! Not sure if my boss was inspired by the holiday, but I don’t question it- guac is one of my favorite foods of all time. ;)

I must say, the taco casserole looks quite amazing…

Cassie — May 1, 2012 at 11:33 am

Love this roundup. We will probably try to sneak into our favorite Mexican restaurant for some chips and salsa and margaritas, although, it doesn’t take a special day for us to eat Mexican food, it’s a favorite!

jojo — May 1, 2012 at 11:49 am

I’ve been so busy that I didn’t realize that Cinco de Mayo was right around the corner!
    I may go to a taco stand near by with my family or something…. maybe have a margarita later with my husband :D I’m going to take it easy this year!
    I don’t have a recipe on hand, but my husband cooks the best mexican food ever! I’m going to have to ask him to measure the ingredients out so I could post the recipe someday!

Katie — May 1, 2012 at 12:45 pm

Totally slipped my radar. I’ll be drinking a marg or a mojito to celebrate. Or sleeping…ahem…I mean taking a seista. ;)

Kate @ Run with Kate — May 1, 2012 at 12:49 pm

My birthday is Cinco de Mayo and my friend is throwing me a party!! I might just make one of these!! :)

Melissa (Better Fit) — May 1, 2012 at 2:13 pm

Yum! Now I’m craving Mexican food!

I don’t know what my favourite Mexican feast is but I lived there for a while and fell in love with the food! So many delicious options. Now that I live in the UK it’s a bit less common to find Mexican food, but I might have a go at one of your recipes here! :) thanks for the fantastic inspiration in time to plan something fun!

Anna @ On Anna's Plate — May 1, 2012 at 3:23 pm

We’ve got nothing planned here…I guess they frown on mothers of new babies drinking head-sized margaritas, huh? :-) Maybe a *small* margarita for me!

Catalina @ Cake with Love — May 1, 2012 at 5:50 pm

I love how the mango and basil pizza sounds, two of my favorite ingredients on a pizza!!! It can’t get better than that!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — May 1st, 2012 at 10:16 pm

It’s SO easy, too! Super fast, like 10 mins from start to finish and you’re eating pizza!

Amy — May 1, 2012 at 6:11 pm

We have a family party with vegan tacos and spanish rice. The party is completed by games designed by my son. Usually ring toss, corn hole and the like! We decorate the dining room and wear sombreros. Memories!!

Michelle (Running the Halls) — May 1, 2012 at 6:57 pm

In Texas, we celebrate Cinco de Mayo like pros! I will be partaking in the Margarita-fest. I can’t turn down an excuse to have one. :)

Liz (Little Bitty Bakes) — May 1, 2012 at 7:03 pm

Cinco de Mayo is Saturday but SO is the Kentucky Derby which means that had would be PERFECT! Hehe :) I’ll most definitely be enjoying some guac!

Gena — May 1, 2012 at 7:10 pm

The avo ice cream was obviously a match made in Gena heaven, but I’m also eyeing those wonderful spicy baked black beans! I don’t roast in foil enough — great inspiration here.

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — May 1st, 2012 at 10:15 pm

Foil saves my life. It takes scrubbing and dishes from an epic chore to 1 second. I do it with all my baking/desserts, too. That way you can take the whole thing out of the pan and cut on a cutting board and get really clean cuts and pieces for…photography :)

Luv What You Do — May 1, 2012 at 7:13 pm

No Cinco De Drinko party here this weekend either…I have a half marathon on Sunday.
    But, we are doing a Fiesta Memorial Day party so these recipes will definitely come in handy.

I love this bean and corn dip for any BBQ but it has good Mexican flavors!

Paula — May 1, 2012 at 7:20 pm

Tamales are my favorite Mexican dish– I’ve had vegetarian and sweet (almost dessert-like) tamales and I made them once many years ago. They are labor intensive! The cheesy taco casserole looks like a yummy cook once eat twice recipe (I love leftovers!). Oh–I found your email about the cookies–no technology glitch, just human error on this end. Somehow it got moved before I saw it so sorry for the confusion!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — May 1st, 2012 at 10:14 pm

Glad you found it..I was wondering and glad it was your end, not my end (a glitch…whew!) :)

Leonor@FoodFaithFitness — May 1, 2012 at 7:54 pm

You make me want to go out and make all of that food!

Vita @ Juicer Depot — May 1, 2012 at 9:18 pm

I am going to a communion/cinco de mayo combo party. Should be fun! I am bringing black bean salsa that Paula Dean makes on food network website. It is actually a healthy recipe which I was surprised especially coming from her. :)

Natalie @ Cooking for My Kids — May 2, 2012 at 5:41 am

We are definitely have a Cinco de Mayo party. It is a tradition, and we love it. Counting down the days….

LiztheChef — May 2, 2012 at 7:32 am

Eager to try your vegan gauc and mango pizza…Cinco de Mayo is just a big drinking night to me, but I enjoy the collection of recipes you created to celebrate !

lee — May 2, 2012 at 9:42 am

For Cinco de Mayo, I’ll be hosting a dinner (on Friday night – so really, Cuatro de Mayo, I guess?) for my student staff to say an end-of-semester thank you for their hard work this year…pretty simple fare with a taco bar, some Yucatan rice and maybe some corn. But (for me, at least) the highlight will be the lime poundcake with strawberry sauce.

I wrote about it here – http://sleepeybearsspot.blogspot.com/2010/07/lime-with-splash-of-strawberry.html – and would simply ask for blogging forgiveness that I posted someone else’s recipe (this was in my pre-recipe etiquette stage). =)

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — May 4, 2012 at 8:47 pm

I am hosting a family dinner tomorrow for Cinco De Mayo … I love Mexican food!